• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
Those LEGO variant covers just seem lazy. I'd much rather have someone drawing the LEGO characters so there can at least be a little creativity involved. For example:

Mighty-Avengers-1-LEGO-Variant.jpg

Most of Marvel's were pretty boring too, but at least try to do a little bit to make them clever.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yessss... Hellboy gets even better. Just you wait! I'm excited to read your posts as you go through the series!

And I'd be honored to take a shot w/ your drawings. Once I'm back from vacation (late next week), I'll be dedicating some major time to coloring.

Woo! I'll definitely keep posting about it as I go. I'm enjoying it too much not to. Haha

And awesome! I'm really excited to see what you can do! Meanwhile, I hope you're having a great vacation!

I know, it's ridiculous. Although, I'll happily maintain that when I say that it just gets better and better, that's not to imply that seed of destruction lacks or anything, just that it truly does just get better. I literally cannot wait for you to read some moments though. Think I'ma crack out SoD tomorrow during the day and give it a reread through actually. Hellbros unite!

You (and fauxtrot) just keep getting me more and more excited to read through the series.
And awesome! Sounds like a plan!

Also, side note: Even though I've previously read up to Almost Colossus or somewhere around there, after reading the first half of SoD I realized this may as well be my first time reading it. I only very vaguely remember any of the plot points and also appreciate it even more this time (since when I first read it, I was just starting to read comics, so I couldn't really appreciate good comics as fully).
So yeah, that was a nice surprise. It's going to make the reading all the more exciting and enjoyable!

Can I jump right into Abnett and Lanning's GOTG run without reading anything prior? Also, is it recommended to read Thanos Imperative after the main 25 issues?

Drayco21

Can I jump right into Abnett and Lanning's GOTG run without reading anything prior? Also, is it recommended to read Thanos Imperative after the main 25 issues?

You should start with Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest at least. Then read Guardians and finish with the Thanos Imperative.

C-Jo

You should start with Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest at least. Then read Guardians and finish with the Thanos Imperative.

You might as well read Abnett and Lanning's Nova while you're at it. It's pretty great, and ties into whichever cosmic event was ongoing at the time.

Yes you can.

Definitely read The Thanos Imperative after, the series leads directly into it and serves as a conclusion for Cosmic Marvel of that era. It's an awesome book too.

Bii

My Sideshow collectible Darth Vader figure came in!
This is the first doll like item for my collection but all the hand options and movable joints gives me a number of ways to mix it up over time.

I'll try to upload pics soon

Where the pics, yo? I wanna see 'em.

-

Rocket Raccoon #1

I'm not joking when I said this was probably one of the best #1 issues to come out in recent months. I'm a huge fan of Skottie Young's art (especially the baby variant covers he's been doing for Marvel) and I may be a bit biased, but it's f*cking amazing here. The little touches and the minute details as you skim each panel is a delight to see. The narrative is humorous and the character-building is top-notch. With the first few pages, you know what you're getting with Rocket Raccoon. I hope Skottie can ride on this momentum and keep it as fun as it is for as long as this run lasts.

I hope everyone can enjoy this somehow, some way. I'm giving my Marvel digital code to Kipp.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well, it looks like Marvel is going to be reprinting the Howard the Duck omnibus. One of the most expensive OOP omnibuses. Has anyone read it? I want to want it.

-

Rocket Raccoon #1

I'm not joking when I said this was probably one of the best #1 issues to come out in recent months. I'm a huge fan of Skottie Young's art (especially the baby variant covers he's been doing for Marvel) and I may be a bit biased, but it's f*cking amazing here. The little touches and the minute details as you skim each panel is a delight to see. The narrative is humorous and the character-building is top-notch. With the first few pages, you know what you're getting with Rocket Raccoon. I hope Skottie can ride on this momentum and keep it as fun as it is for as long as this run lasts.

I hope everyone can enjoy this somehow, some way. I'm giving my Marvel digital code to Kipp.

Wow. That art is gorgeous. And that is one awesome variant cover too, by the way.
This book was pretty far off my radar, but between seeing those fantastic interiors as well as seeing a couple panels posted elsewhere that had some amazing Easter eggs
(A Shawshank Redemption reference and a True Detective reference)
, I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye on this book.
Now I'm even more excited to read this! Thanks again for the code! Gotta go to bed now, but I'll definitely read it tomorrow and give my thoughts.

Vibranium

Banned
Hmm, Black Widow and Punisher's crossover this week weren't really satisfying, I am getting close to dropping one of them unfortunately. I may replace one with Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier since I need my Ales Kot/Bucky fix and I can save some money that way.

Ok, so Marvel NOW titles. I'm thinking about grabbing some HCs or TPBs and catching up on the best titles. What should I check out? I'm just interested in Marvel NOW stuff.

I'm grabbing MS MARVEL (I've not read any Ms Marvel yet) and I've got the first two DAREDEVIL HCs (which I'll be reading this weekend). I'm reading MOON KNIGHT (please come back, Warren!), PUNISHER, HAWKEYE, and BLACK WIDOW regularly. What else should I be reading? How's the current Deadpool? What are the best titles and why are they the best? I'm open to almost anything except probably the X-Men cause I've never been a fan of the X-Men.

Hmm, Black Widow and Punisher's crossover this week weren't really satisfying, I am getting close to dropping one of them unfortunately. I may replace one with Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier since I need my Ales Kot/Bucky fix and I can save some money that way.

I liked them, but I'm hoping there's a more substantial crossover down the line.

I'm still really liking the individual stories, but I think Punisher is definitely feeling more punchy and alive than Black Widow.

I have an idea: Every six issues of Moon Knight, they should bring in a new creative team. Thoughts?

Vibranium

Banned
Ok, so Marvel NOW titles. I'm thinking about grabbing some HCs or TPBs and catching up on the best titles. What should I check out? I'm just interested in Marvel NOW stuff.

I'm grabbing MS MARVEL (I've not read any Ms Marvel yet) and I've got the first two DAREDEVIL HCs (which I'll be reading this weekend). I'm reading MOON KNIGHT (please come back, Warren!), PUNISHER, HAWKEYE, and BLACK WIDOW regularly. What else should I be reading? How's the current Deadpool? What are the best titles and why are they the best? I'm open to almost anything except probably the X-Men cause I've never been a fan of the X-Men.

I liked them, but I'm hoping there's a more substantial crossover down the line.

I'm still really liking the individual stories, but I think Punisher is definitely feeling more punchy and alive than Black Widow.

Yeah, I think BW may be the one on my chopping block for the time being unfortunately, Punisher is a little more alive like you said. I really disliked how Noto drew Frank in BW too, no consistency with the art in Punisher (this is one of my big criticisms with Marvel editorial these days- they can't get artists to realize that if you do a crossover, during the same timeframe, the characters should be consistent across titles in terms of looks and gear). The rest of Phil's art was awesome though.

Also, Ms. Marvel is fun as hell and Kamala is wonderful, way better than that bland
waste of space in my opinion
Sam Alexander.

You're in for a treat with Ms. Marvel. So good. As for suggestions, you should definitely give Elektra a shot. The art is amazing, and the story has been more engaging than Black Widow's.

Vibranium

Banned
You're in for a treat with Ms. Marvel. So good. As for suggestions, you should definitely give Elektra a shot. The art is amazing, and the story has been more engaging than Black Widow's.

Hmm, maybe I'll give Elektra a shot and drop BW for now. I keep meaning to read it, but I was gun-shy.

PsychBat!

Banned

I'm grabbing MS MARVEL (I've not read any Ms Marvel yet) and I've got the first two DAREDEVIL HCs (which I'll be reading this weekend). I'm reading MOON KNIGHT (please come back, Warren!), PUNISHER, HAWKEYE, and BLACK WIDOW regularly. What else should I be reading? How's the current Deadpool?
Deadpool has this weird first arc involving dead presidents, but the next arc is absolutely fantastic. Not what you expect from a funny merc with a mouth at all.
I'm also glad you're going to read Daredevil. Hooks you in with every issue. (IMO it's better than Hawkeye).
Ms. Marvel is great, better than Captain Marvel (which I dropped after 2 issues).

Try out New Warriors. The first trade comes out next month and while the first few issues are a little slow, it's a really fun series with some great characters.

please read new warriors you guys:(

Sorry! I ended up passing out before I uploaded these pics. These are just a couple of quick photos from my iPhone. I want to get a set of photos for my whole display room (I converted my dining room of my house to a room for statues and figurines) maybe this weekend. The Vader figurine is almost more doll like with all it's hand and head options. Plus all the moveable joints. Which is cool for variety but also makes it something where I have to make it look decent. I think I finally found a pose I liked for now. I need to get batteries that will light up his chest gadgets and the base

Yeah, I think BW may be the one on my chopping block for the time being unfortunately, Punisher is a little more alive like you said. I really disliked how Noto drew Frank in BW too, no consistency with the art in Punisher (this is one of my big criticisms with Marvel editorial these days- they can't get artists to realize that if you do a crossover, during the same timeframe, the characters should be consistent across titles in terms of looks and gear). The rest of Phil's art was awesome though.

Also, Ms. Marvel is fun as hell and Kamala is wonderful, way better than that bland
waste of space in my opinion
Sam Alexander.

Yeah, I keep seeing panels from Ms Marvel, it looks hilarious.

Yeah, I mentioned it in my earlier review, but Noto's depiction of Frank is awful. It's just... terrible art. It sticks out a lot cause the rest of the art is so good.

Mitch Gerads work is stellar though.

The Elektra trade comes out in November, so I'll pre-order it on Amazon.

Deadpool has this weird first arc involving dead presidents, but the next arc is absolutely fantastic. Not what you expect from a funny merc with a mouth at all.
I'm also glad you're going to read Daredevil. Hooks you in with every issue. (IMO it's better than Hawkeye).
Ms. Marvel is great, better than Captain Marvel (which I dropped after 2 issues).

I'll grab the first couple of Deadpool trades in that case. How's the artwork?

Try out New Warriors. The first trade comes out next month and while the first few issues are a little slow, it's a really fun series with some great characters.

please read new warriors you guys:(

I don't even know what New Warriors is.

Sorry! I ended up passing out before I uploaded these pics. These are just a couple of quick photos from my iPhone. I want to get a set of photos for my whole display room (I converted my dining room of my house to a room for statues and figurines) maybe this weekend. The Vader figurine is almost more doll like with all it's hand and head options. Plus all the moveable joints. Which is cool for variety but also makes it something where I have to make it look decent. I think I finally found a pose I liked for now. I need to get batteries that will light up his chest gadgets and the base

How tall is that Vader statue? I used to be waaay into Star Wars. But with new Marvel books coming, and a new Star Wars movie and TV show, I think I feel the fever coming on again. I'm pretty excited.

How tall is that Vader statue? I used to be waaay into Star Wars. But with new Marvel books coming, and a new Star Wars movie and TV show, I think I feel the fever coming on again. I'm pretty excited.
It is 1 foot tall

Here's a link to what I ordered
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-darth-vader-deluxe-sideshow-collectibles-100076/

I also looked at this one but it was 2 feet tall and that would have been a bit much IMO otherwise I probably would have gotten it
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-darth-vader-mythos-sideshow-collectibles-200193/

Bii

Dont miss the nod to Southern Bastards in that third pic. :)

Amongst many other references on that page. :]

Damn, that statue looks great! What a gem of a pick-up!

I just was organizing my comics and my LCS didn't give me my copies of Secret Avengers 3 and 5.

Lame. I need to get them.

Looks like I'm not the only one where my LCS forgets to give me copies of certain issues.

I don't even know what New Warriors is.
Well this is the perfect chance to fix that!

It's a team book starring a bunch of various superheroes new and old. So you've got Speedball and Justice paired up with newer characters like Hummingbird and Sun Girl. The first arc brings them all together so they don't really cooperate with each other so well, but the dialogue between the cast is really well done and makes it easy to fall in love with everyone. It's just a great lighthearted book that doesn't take itself too seriously and it's a complete blast to read.
It must be the total comic noob in me that thinks Sam Alexander is just fine.
I only read the first few issues of the new Nova series and wasn't crazy about it. I've heard the current writer has been doing a good job but I just haven't been interested.

Sam's perfect for New Warriors though. I could not see Richie hanging with Kaine and Aracely.

Well this is the perfect chance to fix that!

It's a team book starring a bunch of various superheroes new and old. So you've got Speedball and Justice paired up with newer characters like Hummingbird and Sun Girl. The first arc brings them all together so they don't really cooperate with each other so well, but the dialogue between the cast is really well done and makes it easy to fall in love with everyone. It's just a great lighthearted book that doesn't take itself too seriously and it's a complete blast to read.

I only read the first few issues of the new Nova series and wasn't crazy about it. I've heard the current writer has been doing a good job but I just haven't been interested.

Sam's perfect for New Warriors though. I could not see Richie hanging with Kaine and Aracely.

ya, plus theres a talking dog man who can like move a big mountain base

it's a good book

ReAxion

Maybe that's it, I don't know old Nova so well. I had one issue when I was a kid, wasn't really in to cosmic stuff back then. Something to add to the MU library, I guess.

Just read the Bees and Puppycats from the Boom! bundle. Too damn cute. The QR codes!!

kd-z

I'm getting some mad Ratchet & Clank vibes from the pics of Rocket Racoon #1 that Bii posted. Prooobably it's because of the antropomorphic animal running around with huge guns and wastin' fools.

I'm IN.

Zombine

Banned
Is this Rocket Raccoon as bad as the other GotG properties though?

Art looks great.

Not sure what you mean. The only fair to middling Guardians book has been BMB's run, and even this run had high points like Trials of Jean Grey. ANL run was GOAT also.

Sanjuro

Not sure what you mean. The only fair to middling Guardians book has been BMB's run, and even this run had high points like Trials of Jean Grey. ANL run was GOAT also.

I haven't read everything. This is one of the examples where the film variant completely outclassed anything I've ever seen in the books.

Zombine

Banned
I haven't read everything. This is one of the examples where the film variant completely outclassed anything I've ever seen in the books.

If you haven't read "everything" then how do you know it's superior to the books? Lol?

The movie was good, but it was far from perfect. The story in the film was fair to middling at best. Rocket Raccoon didn't say "Blam! Murdered you!" Once, ect.

Also, Ronan sucked, as did what they did to Gamora & Nebula.

Sanjuro

If you haven't read "everything" then how do you know it's superior to the books? Lol?

The movie was good, but it was far from perfect. The story in the film was fair to middling at best. Rocket Raccoon didn't say "Blam! Murdered you!" Once, ect.

Also, Ronan sucked, as did what they did to Gamora & Nebula.

I've read a healthy chunk of them, hence why I asked in thread initially. Everything I have read really hasn't matched up.

Sorry.

Zombine

Banned
I've read a healthy chunk of them, hence why I asked in thread initially. Everything I have read really hasn't matched up.

Sorry.

No apologies! I glad you like what you like. But definitely check out the DNL run. It's really wonderful. I think you may have missed out on the Comixology sale :/

I do hope that the story is better in the next film though.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
I wasn't going to get Rocket but dat art. Might have to now. How is Star Lord?

It's cool to be up-to-date with all my books for the first time since I started reading again last May. I'd been using an online retailer and getting monthly deliveries. They cocked up my orders so many times though (and I'm also running out of room to store everything) that I've switched to Comixology. It's refreshing to be able to read stuff the day it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom