• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Graphic Novel for the sole fact that it stars a talking cat and has awesome cover.

Buc_hBaIUAEGg94.jpg

I bought a Graphic Novel for the sole fact that it stars a talking cat and has awesome cover.

Buc_hBaIUAEGg94.jpg

Oh man, I want to read that haha, you need to tell me how that is! I've been watching Tobin for a bit, the reviews for Colder were great, his witcher series looked really cool he has that prometheus book coming up. Definitely interested in how more of his original work is though, so very interested in what you think :)

arkon

Oh man, I want to read that haha, you need to tell me how that is! I've been watching Tobin for a bit, the reviews for Colder were great, his witcher series looked really cool he has that prometheus book coming up. Definitely interested in how more of his original work is though, so very interested in what you think :)

Bandette's reviewed well too.

Tomodachi

For the optimal Guardians of the Galaxy reading experience, get the 2008 volume by Abnett & Lanning. The current series by Bendis is...not as good.

If you're going to see the movie, then definitely check out Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 1: Legacy. I read a lot of Cosmic Marvel out of order but I had no issue getting into that particular series. The first issue has the team in the middle of a battle and it kind of goes over how and why the team formed and gets you used to the members. It's also the run that the movie got a lot of inspiration from.

My go-to rec for Marvel is Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja. It's super easy to jump into and read, and it's a great series. Dialogue is a lot of fun and the Aja's artwork is fantastic. It's the perfect starting point for anyone new to Marvel comics.

I'm in the US so it's kind of hard to recommend good places to buy physical books in Europe in general but Comixology is definitely the best place for digital comics. They frequently run deals and their reader is awesome and leagues beyond other services. They have a massive selection as well.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely get Legacy then (the one on sale, it's the 2008 series as far as I can tell).
I'll check Hawkeye as well since it's one of my favorite characters from The Avengers (the movie), nice to know it's a good starting point for Marvel newbies :)

Thanks guys, I'll definitely get Legacy then (the one on sale, it's the 2008 series as far as I can tell).
I'll check Hawkeye as well since it's one of my favorite characters from The Avengers (the movie), nice to know it's a good starting point for Marvel newbies :)

Thor: God of Thunder is also at the top of my recommendations list, if you like Thor at all you should read it.

Basically, look up the Marvel NOW! initiative, anything from that launch is a pretty good starting point for new readers. I hadn't read marvel books in a few years and started with the Marvel NOW! volumes of Avengers and New Avengers and went from there.

ReAxion

Oh you'll really like that Hawkeye series then. So much more character.

Also, yeah, Thor God of Thunder: (God Butcher and God Bomb arc)

Another chance to recommend Superior Foes of Spider-man.

Magneto (2014-present)

Moon Knight #1-#6 (#6 just came out yesterday)

Ms Marvel (2014-present)

Silver Surfer (2014-present)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Unless he pops up in Multiversity, at this point I'd rather he stays on the shelf. You know someone would just turn him into a joke character.

Yeah, you're right. Kind of like the upcoming Klarion book...

so today i learned that hulk is awesome, i just watched planet hulk, i always thought that hulk was a weak ass "hero" but looks like he's one of the strongest

i've never read any comic seriously (just the occasional bande dessinée here in france, comics are hard to come by unless you're living near one of the few stores that sell them), i wanna read some hulk goodness but i don't know where to start
comics labelling always seemed kinda weird, from what i understand it doesn't go from hulk #1-#infinity but sometimes changes names like hulk at the ski resort or hulk vs toilets and other times there's crossovers from other heroes' comics that are canon in the comic you're reading, it all seems a bit overwhemling

where should i start ? i watched planet hulk as i said, i'm currently trying to get planet hulk comic + world war hulk

Bandette's reviewed well too.

I actually know nothing about that one man! I've saw the cover and that's about it. I mean, I need to still check out Tobin just to see he has the right sensibilities I look for in my fiction, but reviews do seem to back him up.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Moon Knight was great. I had troubles with its start, but the conclusion was superb.

Iron Fist was all right. Danny is getting his ass kicked for the most part, so I'm ready for his redemption.

I preferred Punisher to Black Widow. Both were good, but Punisher's character is better thus far. Black Widow needs to open up more for me to care more.

New Avengers was dark and saddening. I love Namor, but damn, it's hard to side with him when he's out to ruin Black Panther.

I did not like Grayson. It was uninteresting and it most likely will be dropped while Harley Quinn stays on my list. Ultimate Spider-Man was all right -- I'm ready for them to start this clone saga 2.0.

Rocket Raccoon was better than Star-Lord. Art was better, story was fun, and characterizations were spot on.

I still need to read The Squidder, Bodies, and Superior Spidey. I also have to go to a different comic shop this weekend to hopefully buy Thor/Loki Original Sin.

dan2026

Superior Foes is such a great funny book.

There needs to be more comedic books.

Considering they are called comic books, most of them aren't very funny.

I actually know nothing about that one man! I've saw the cover and that's about it. I mean, I need to still check out Tobin just to see he has the right sensibilities I look for in my fiction, but reviews do seem to back him up.

Bandette's good fun. Colleen Coover's drawing it, after all

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Superior Foes is such a great funny book.

There needs to be more comedic books.

Considering they are called comic books, most of them aren't very funny.

Superior Foes and New Warriors above all. Jason Aaron's books as well too normally and Rocket Raccoon has had a strong start.

Consumers arent after engaging quality writing as much with their cape books though these days. Its whichever cat can outrageously cliffhanger troll the hardest that gets the cream.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I know that Avengers Undercover is ending soon, but what other Marvel series are on the verge of being canceled or having a conclusion soon? New Warriors? Nightcrawler? Secret Avengers?

so today i learned that hulk is awesome, i just watched planet hulk, i always thought that hulk was a weak ass "hero" but looks like he's one of the strongest

Hulk is the strongest there is!

Definitely get the Planet Hulk book because it's far better than the movie. Honestly, World War Hulk was a big letdown after Planet Hulk. But get it if you want to see big DBZ style fights and Hulk get some punches in on various Marvel heroes and teams. The X-Men tie ins were great.

Incredible Hercules replaced Incredible Hulk for a while and it was good, but probably not what you're looking for. It's a pretty damn funny book and I love my man Herc.

After that was Red Hulk/World War Hulks/Fall of the Hulks/whatever, I didn't follow any of those when they were going on but I have enjoyed Waid's Indestructible Hulk run. If you want a nice clean start to a Hulk book, you can start there, or someone with more familiarity with the books that went on after WWH can better advise.

Indestructible Hulk is collected in 4 volumes and was recently relaunched as just "Hulk", with Waid still attached.

Planet Hulk war insanely good.

World War Hulk the worst Marvel Event of the last decade. And Romita Jr. Art looks like Ass.

Yeah it's easily some of the worst art I've seen Romita Jr. put out in a while. That last fight between
Sentry and Hulk
is almost incomprehensible.

fauxtrot

Banned
Does anyone know of any comic book centric art tutorials? I'm specifically looking for tips/instruction on being a colorist. I'm gonna grab onto Rafa's rocket and ride that baby to the top of super stardom!

Wait, no... that didn't come out right.

SRG01

That goes without saying

Superior Foes is the best Marvel ongoing

They really have to push Sony into making a Superior Foes movie, considering how Sony and Marvel are on pretty good terms.

Seems DC's next big theme variant is gonna be LEGOs, which is pretty cool

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08...so-far/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also does anyone here watch the Marvel Animated movies? Apparently there is a new Iron Man/Captain America team-up that released last week

Their older Marvel Animated works were much better. I couldn't watch half of Iron Man/Hulk so I may be skipping this one. Iron Man/Hulk appeared on Canadian Netflix two months or so after release too, for those of you who are interested.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
NYCC tickets went on sale here in NYC today at Midtown Comics.. unfortunately the line was way too long, way too early for me to partake. Not sure I want to spend $150 a ticket for scalpers. Grrr

Hulk is the strongest there is!

Definitely get the Planet Hulk book because it's far better than the movie. Honestly, World War Hulk was a big letdown after Planet Hulk. But get it if you want to see big DBZ style fights and Hulk get some punches in on various Marvel heroes and teams. The X-Men tie ins were great.

Incredible Hercules replaced Incredible Hulk for a while and it was good, but probably not what you're looking for. It's a pretty damn funny book and I love my man Herc.

After that was Red Hulk/World War Hulks/Fall of the Hulks/whatever, I didn't follow any of those when they were going on but I have enjoyed Waid's Indestructible Hulk run. If you want a nice clean start to a Hulk book, you can start there, or someone with more familiarity with the books that went on after WWH can better advise.

Indestructible Hulk is collected in 4 volumes and was recently relaunched as just "Hulk", with Waid still attached.

Yeah it's easily some of the worst art I've seen Romita Jr. put out in a while. That last fight between
Sentry and Hulk
is almost incomprehensible.

allrighty, thanks for the answer

Steven Universe #1:
Look at them colors. Look at them.
The art was a bit... messy, but the cute story and the interesting style that the comic is using was decent enough to make it worth my cash. The extra comics were really neat, with "Birthday Bake-Off" by Josceline Fenton being my favorite part of the book.
Also, Zac Gorman should draw Uncle Grandpa from now on. That was a fantastic little comic.

Spider-Man 2099 #1:
This is now the lead Spider-Man series to me. That art was really good. Like, seriously good. I dig it. This is my first time reading a Miguel O'Hara story and I'm excited to see where it goes from here. The story was neat and really funny for being like a one-issue thing. Great stuff all around.

Original Sin - Hulk vs. Iron Man:
That was perfect. Exactly what I wanted from the Original Sin event.
Seriously cool stuff if you're a fan of the recent versions of the characters.

Original Sin - Thor & Loki #3:
Uuuuuuuuugh. Dropped.
I don't even know what's happening.
It's really ugly and boring.

Moon Knight #6:
That's how you end a comic run.
It was a fantastic issue with more of the Moon Knight we deserve. The writing was top-notch, and the ending was swell. I'm not looking forward to the next issue, though. :/

arkon

I just know of it because it's been recommended when I've asked for a fun all-ages comic. Haven't checked it out yet though

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man. Halfway through (re)reading Hellboy: Seed of Destruction now. Sooo good. It's hard to believe you guys when you say this is the weakest portion of Hellboy and it only gets better, because the story and art are already incredible. Everything about Hellboy just pushes all the right buttons for me.

Does anyone know of any comic book centric art tutorials? I'm specifically looking for tips/instruction on being a colorist. I'm gonna grab onto Rafa's rocket and ride that baby to the top of super stardom!

Wait, no... that didn't come out right.

If you ever want to practice your coloring on my drawings, I'd be delighted!

fauxtrot

Banned
Oh man. Halfway through (re)reading Hellboy: Seed of Destruction now. Sooo good. It's hard to believe you guys when you say this is the weakest portion of Hellboy and it only gets better, because the story and art are already incredible. Everything about Hellboy just pushes all the right buttons for me.

If you ever want to practice your coloring on my drawings, I'd be delighted!

Yessss... Hellboy gets even better. Just you wait! I'm excited to read your posts as you go through the series!

And I'd be honored to take a shot w/ your drawings. Once I'm back from vacation (late next week), I'll be dedicating some major time to coloring.

If I've never read any Moon Knight, ever, would picking up the Warren Ellis run be a huge mistake? I want some of that; I presume there's no familiarity with the old content necessary?

phoenixyz

If I've never read any Moon Knight, ever, would picking up the Warren Ellis run be a huge mistake? I want some of that; I presume there's no familiarity with the old content necessary?

I didn't even know who or what the hell Moon Knight is when I started reading Ellis run. So you will be fine.

I know, it's ridiculous. Although, I'll happily maintain that when I say that it just gets better and better, that's not to imply that seed of destruction lacks or anything, just that it truly does just get better. I literally cannot wait for you to read some moments though. Think I'ma crack out SoD tomorrow during the day and give it a reread through actually. Hellbros unite!

Ah, I hate when I go into off topic to find the comics thread and see other comics threads. I never actually check off topic otherwise so I'm never gonna see em or post in them. And even on the odd occasion I do spot one, I just wonder why it wasn't a question/subject brought up in here. Nothing on you man specifically btw haha, just a thought I've had for awhile. More my problem I guess, but I really don't look at the off topic forum for anything but this thread.

tim1138

allrighty, thanks for the answer

Planet Hulk is easily the best recent Hulk story, it's a great place to start. World War Hulk is completely forgettable and honestly I would recommend skipping it. Sadly there aren't a lot of iconic Hulk story arcs that are readily available, but if you're not adverse to reading digitally, Comixology has a bunch of Peter David's run from the 80s and it's quite good.

My Sideshow collectible Darth Vader figure came in!
This is the first doll like item for my collection but all the hand options and movable joints gives me a number of ways to mix it up over time.

I'll try to upload pics soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom