• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superior Foes today...

If you aren't reading this you're seriously missing out. This issue was just fantastic. This series deserves a nice hardcover once it's over.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
1818949-painting_8.jpg

This may be one of my favorite panels. The amount of personality that comes through here is just incredible. Each character is fully being themselves, even doing something as simple as walking across the street, within a painting that eats things, while fighting The Brotherhood of Dada. If you didn't know Crazy Jane, Robotman, and Rebis, you do now:

Drayco21

New Warriors is so good. If it weren't for Superior Foes and Hawkeye (when it does come out) I'd say it's my favorite Marvel book right now. It's a great team book that's just a joy to read.

q19B9.gif

Can't wait for next month's issue.

The fact that it's probably gonna get canceled makes me suffer so much.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
1818949-painting_8.jpg

This may be one of my favorite panels. The amount of personality that comes through here is just incredible. Each character is fully being themselves, even doing something as simple as walking across the street, within a painting that eats things, while fighting The Brotherhood of Dada. If you didn't know Crazy Jane, Robotman, and Rebis, you do now:

Is this is from the new doom patrol?

Cliff Steele I think is the biggest reason I think that book works. His average joe "WTF is this shit" is the audience surrogate into the weirdness. Rebis is on the other end of the spectrum, and Crazy Jane is...the entire spectrum, just depends which of her 64 personalities is talking.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Is this is from the new doom patrol?

It's from the Grant Morrison/Richard Case Doom Patrol. But there is a new omnibus for the run that you should get if you're interested in some damn good comics.

Cliff Steele I think is the biggest reason I think that book works. His average joe "WTF is this shit" is the audience surrogate into the weirdness. Rebis is on the other end of the spectrum, and Crazy Jane is...the entire spectrum, just depends which of her 64 personalities is talking.

Absolutely agree. Even moreso on the relateable point, when they first get drawn into the painting Cliff says "I feel weird. It's like I'm kinda flat and unreal the way I get sometimes when I'm depressed." That line hit me so damn hard, as it was instantly recognizable, and it's coming from, like you said, the character I'm really most attached to and who happens to be the robotic man. Just greatness pulsing through this book, man.

Can't wait for next month's issue.

The fact that it's probably gonna get canceled makes me suffer so much.

God, don't do this to me...

The first trade of New Warriors comes out next month, I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new team book that isn't the Avengers
or Superior Foes which everyone should already be reading

Vyer

I wonder if we'll see Thom Kallor Starboy/Starman with the Multiverse stuff. I read that the New 52 version of him supposedly died, but hopping between realities was kinda his thing so...

New_starman.jpg

I mean, he's wearing a 'map of the Multiverse' so...

I caught up on a bunch of stuff. I didn't read Secret Avengers cause I'm now officially missing two issues, so I gotta get them and then I'll catch up. I dunno why my LCS doesn't give them to me.

Punisher #9

Another solid issue from Edmondson. Gerad is back on art this month, which is fantastic. I never get tired of his style and great use of colour. He draws a great Natasha. That said, good God does life for Frank Castle suck. He goes from terrible situation to another terrible situation. It was hilarious that
he didn't think about his current standing with the Avengers.
But seriously Nat, that was a hell of a dick move.

Widow's line about him moving to LA was hilarious though.

Having said that, the overarching plot about the Howlin' Commandos took another small step forward this month, with the reveal that
Frank still has family out there somewhere? Will the Commandos actually use them as leverage?

Also,
Central American prisons suck.

Black Widow #9

Again, solid work from Edmondson. While Noto's art is great, his depiction of Frank leaves a lot to be desired. Frank looks... hilarious? Also, I get the hints that Natasha is starting to become undone a bit. Though hey, the overarching plot also moved a bit more forward with
Isaiah being kidnapped.

I hope with that last plot move, we move out of Natasha's melancholy and it injects a bit of life into her.

Moon Knight #6

Such a fantastic finale for Ellis and Shalvey. If the series ended here, it would be a beautiful, tight, bizarre little run. This issue really does hit home what Moon Knight is, I think. Also, the depiction of
the cop's horrific descent into madness was incredibly well-written by Ellis
and the final confrontation is rendered in fantastic, brutal art by Shalvey. These two are such a fantastic team together. I am going to miss them so much.

With this issue, Moon Knight is officially my title of the year (do we do that?). Well, maybe, it's certainly up there!

Ok, now I wanna talk a bit about the four page preview at the end of the issue for Moon Knight 7 with Wood and Smallwood.

Honestly? It felt lifeless. The art is okay... it's no Shalvey but it's close enough yet distinct enough to be okay. But wow, the writing in these four pages felt really lifeless. This title is weird crime. It is darkness, and madness, and it has a dark, beating heart to it.

It's not fucking military sci-fi or whatever the hell I'm look at here.

reverse-1310121676_angry_wrestler.gif

Superior Foes of Spider-Man #13 & #14

Ha, I never get tired of this title. It's so damned funny. If anything deserves a television show, it's these nutbags.

Winter Soldier: The Bitter March #5

That ending was so... depressing. Pretty good art. Overall, I should have just grabbed this in trade.

American Vampire: Second Cycle #4

This entire issue is just one long chase/survival/battle sequence, but it's crazy and tense. Art is beautiful as always. Albuquerque nails it. The Grey Trader really is shaping up to be one of the nastiest comic villains I've seen, especially with that insanely creepy opener.

The Wake #10

I... don't get it. Honestly, I felt like I wasted my time with this series. I love Snyder's work, but this just didn't click with me at all. The ending.

thehellisthat.gif

Hawkeye #19

Okay, I'm putting aside the insane delays for now. On its own... this is a fantastic issue. The use of sign language and just the imagery to portray Clint and Barney's state is used fantastically. Aja's work is beautiful here, and the storytelling is great as well. A great, unique issue, that strangely enough, is a hell of a feel-good one by the ending. I'm sad to see the story ending so soon, but at least it seems like we're in for a heck of a finale.

Clint finally asking for help at the end. Dat character development.

I never get tired of Barney. I hope they find a writer and artist team as good as Fraction/Aja/Wu to take over when this finishes, cause I want more Hawkeye.

If anyone says Brian Wood, I'll slap them.

Vyer

Man, that Moon Knight. I'm going to add the trade to my collection whenever it comes out.

Might not have been the best idea to put those preview pages in after that.

I'll let someone else try it out. Maybe it'll be good. But I'm going to remove the book from my pulls for now.

Man, that Moon Knight. I'm going to add the trade to my collection whenever it comes out.

Might not have been the best idea to put those preview pages in after that.

I'll let someone else try it out. Maybe it'll be good. But I'm going to remove the book from my pulls for now.

Yeah, those pages did not sell me on a new creative team. Really just the opposite.

I'm getting really tired of Bendis's trolling with Ultimate Spider-Man. He's a damn clone so just reveal it already and get to the next story arc. If Marvel was really bringing back him they would be making a big deal about it.

I swear all the best conversation in here happens when I am in bed haha. Some hilarious Brian Wood talk.

Yo, I've been thinking about it, and Rick Remender is the writer Scott Snyder wishes he was. Remender masterfully plots long, 30-issue overarching plots that intricately develop, explode, coalesce, and then end beautifully. Dude is a fucking Ukrainian gymnast, sticking the the landing gracefully, powerfully, and with a fucking smile and a wink.

Snyder is just a super competent writer whose passion and anxiety create incredible beginnings for his stories, and then there are great developments along the way, and powerful moments, but then he loses the thread and his endings are like a fat dude canon-balling into the shallow end--it's a mess. Dude cannot stick the landing.*

*Except for Black Mirror.

While Remender has brought me around no him quite a bit lately with Black Science & Deadly Class, and I really respect your opinion man, I could not disagree more on this haha (you probably could have predicted that though). Snyder has stuck so many ending for me that I'll never get that point of view. Enough people have said it for me to accept it, but I loved the ends to Black Mirror, the court, Death Of The Family, apparently the wake has an incredible ending, really thought he nailed the entirety of Severed, the cumulation of what he called the *first cycle* of AmVamp was really rewarding. Whereas I finished Fear Agent and immediately sold the whole collection in disappointment. The End League was a mess, I really dislike what he;'s done in his Cap & Uncanny Avengers runs. Really really like Black Science & Deadly Class though, for sure. Enjoyed this thought though man and all the responses it got haha.

Enough of Snyder and Remender, they get enough love. Let's talk about Joshua Williamson who writes Nailbiter and some other books that get good reviews.

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/writer-artist/joshua-williamson

Nailbiter is 4 issues in and it has been fantastic. It's every bit as good as any top Image book without the praise. Just read issue 4 and that ending!

Yea man, I have to check this out, there doesn't seem to be an option at htis point? This book has been quietly getting rave reviews literally everywhere. I am a Williamson virgin but he must be doing something right with this book. It really is cool how this book has crept up out of no where. I was actually having a look at Ghosted the other day too.

phoenixyz

So what's up with all the Future's End tie-ins next month? Does it even make sense to read those without reading the weekly series?

Ultima_5

1818949-painting_8.jpg

i like the art style on this... what is it? doom patrol? the new omnibus?

edit, nevermind! answered in the next couple post!

Duress

How's the new TMNT series? The volumes are on sale at Comixology.

Moon Knight cover looks like Dark Knight Returns TPB.

sca2511

Harley and Joker sold out so fast. I only got Clayface in the end, passed on Man Bat.

I really wanted that Harley, ugh.

ReAxion

Superior Spidey: Good to be back. Basically just the setup for Spider-verse.
I don't know who that other Punisher-type Spidey is.

Rocket #2: I liked this one better than the first.
Rocket replying to "I am Groot" in context is a gimmick that's working for me.

Ultimate Miles #4: I added this to my pull list in Moon Knight's place. I can't tell if I just like this because I'm a Miles fan or it's objectively good.

Moon Knight #6:
CFY9J51.gif

She-Hulk #7: Pulido's back and I find his weird style so charming. :)
So much for that literal cliff-hanger a couple issues back tho?

Tomodachi

Hi guys, figured this would be the right place to ask. Never been a comics reader but I used to read mangas years ago. I'm from Italy, so there's not a huge comics culture over here and I admit I am a total newbie. Recently I've started to develop an interest towards comics though, maybe because of the movies, maybe because my 4 years old nephew is a huge fan of Spider-man and forced me to see the movies hundreds of times.
I'd like to start reading something through comixology (eu) on my ipad and I noticed that the first volume of guardians of the galaxy is on sale. Would that be a good starting point? I plan on seeing the movie when it comes out over here.
Any other suggestion, maybe comics on different platforms other than comixology with affordable prices?

Hi guys, figured this would be the right place to ask. Never been a comics reader but I used to read mangas years ago. I'm from Italy, so there's not a huge comics culture over here and I admit I am a total newbie. Recently I've started to develop an interest towards comics though, maybe because of the movies, maybe because my 4 years old nephew is a huge fan of Spider-man and forced me to see the movies hundreds of times.
I'd like to start reading something through comixology (eu) on my ipad and I noticed that the first volume of guardians of the galaxy is on sale. Would that be a good starting point? I plan on seeing the movie when it comes out over here.
Any other suggestion, maybe comics on different platforms other than comixology with affordable prices?

For the optimal Guardians of the Galaxy reading experience, get the 2008 volume by Abnett & Lanning. The current series by Bendis is...not as good.

SRG01

Superior Spidey: Good to be back. Basically just the setup for Spider-verse.
I don't know who that other Punisher-type Spidey is.

According to one of the Marvel Wikis out there
he's from one of the Spiderman/Wolverine what-ifs back in the 80s

If you're going to see the movie, then definitely check out Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 1: Legacy. I read a lot of Cosmic Marvel out of order but I had no issue getting into that particular series. The first issue has the team in the middle of a battle and it kind of goes over how and why the team formed and gets you used to the members. It's also the run that the movie got a lot of inspiration from.

My go-to rec for Marvel is Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja. It's super easy to jump into and read, and it's a great series. Dialogue is a lot of fun and the Aja's artwork is fantastic. It's the perfect starting point for anyone new to Marvel comics.

I'm in the US so it's kind of hard to recommend good places to buy physical books in Europe in general but Comixology is definitely the best place for digital comics. They frequently run deals and their reader is awesome and leagues beyond other services. They have a massive selection as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom