• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
This happened in 2008 during the DnA run. I think it's first introduction was during Nova run, and it also introduced Cosmo, one of my favorite recent character additions to the Marvel universe. To my knowledge, Bendis had no direct involvement.
Except there's no indication that
Knowhere is a celestial head anymore, Bendis just says that it's a regular planet with a bunch of markets and bars/clubs.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Knowhere is a celestial head anymore, Bendis just says that it's a regular planet with a bunch of markets and bars/clubs.

Actually, my bad. I misinterpreted your question. I thought you were asking about it being the other way around. Continue on =D.

Yeah I can't explain it. Maybe Bendis just legit didn't pay attention to the previous run. Now that he's seen the movie maybe he'll change it back. :p

IHaveIce

Banned
Lol peasants be talking down on DnA cosmic run.

Bendis stuff is worse, just because he changes everything that was established and is like "fuck it, don-t care what you like, I'm the boss, gimme your money, I wrote one good Moonknight and Daredevil series I deserve this."

My Guardians Volume 1 from DnA turned up yesterday. Can't wait to read it.

As for Bendis' run I've only read the first volume. I liked it (Groot's little story was great) but overall it was pretty forgettable and I don't really feel like rushing to get the next volume.

But I did order the Guardians art of the movie book and The Last of Us American Dreams so I can read it before I play Left Behind.

Sorry wallet.

"I was the Cat"

Product Description
Allison Breaking is a talented journalist with her own blog and a lot of bills to pay. So when she receives an offer from a mysterious stranger named Burma to write his memoirs, it's an offer she can't refuse, not even with all the red flags popping up. But Burma is quite literally unlike any man Allison's ever known - because he's a cat! And this cat has stories to tell about how he (over the course of a few lifetimes) has shaped the world - and another, darker story that Allison must risk all to uncover... a story of what this particular cat has been doing with the LAST of his nine lives.

My only complaint is the ending did not match the quality of the rest of the book but I get the author wanted the reader to come up with their own ending. As a cat lover 9/10. Anyone else 8/10. If you would like me to write in more detail about more of the substance of the book, let me know. I just feel the book would benefit from going in blind.

The artwork is lovely. 10/10.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo

Bendis stuff is worse, just because he changes everything that was established and is like "fuck it, don-t care what you like, I'm the boss, gimme your money, I wrote one good Moonknight and Daredevil series I deserve this."

Bendis' run isn't terrible and is still my rotation of comics, but it definitely comes off as a placeholder series (besides Angela's introduction) until they find someone else to take it over (not true) or for when Bendis gets bored and moves onto something else. I'm waiting for something big to happen that would make impact in the 616 Universe, but besides Angela being introduced (which was all right for the Gamora fight alone and now is more involved with Thor/Loki backdrop), it does feel a temporary series that is waiting for a bigger idea to come through.

The Rocket series is more of what I wanted, even if it is even more "street" level than GotG. DnA's run had the benefit of War of Kings, Realm of Kings, Annihilation Conquest, and what not to give it grand story arcs.

Drayco21

He turned it back into a Celestial Head in the most recent issue, presumably because the movie embraced the weirdness Bendis was ashamed of. It was also still a Celestial Head in the Nova issues published while Bendis was trying to pretend it wasn't a head.

As for Bendis' run I've only read the first volume. I liked it (Groot's little story was great) but overall it was pretty forgettable and I don't really feel like rushing to get the next volume.

I like Bendis Guardians, but can admit it's more or less pretty average. Though I definitely recommend skipping to The Trial of Jean Grey crossover with All-New X-Men. It's pretty fantastic.

Changing what's established is not grounds for bad writing. Doom Patrol much?

Changing what's established is not grounds for bad writing. Doom Patrol much?

Nothing wrong with changing things. But the new series seems to lack any depth. In characters or plot. (Disclaimer: This is my opinion as of issue 11).

I imagine this is what it would look like if you asked the Agents of SHIELD team to create Firefly season 2.

tim1138

I'm just gonna leave this here...

Smiths01.jpg

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I was inspired by Mignola's art and tried my hand at the heavily-shaded style he has. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out for my first time drawing heavy shadows. The perspective is a little off and the legs are a little too short, but oh well.

I'm just gonna leave this here...

WHAT IS THAT FROM!?

Yes! IST is moving to Tennessee. I'll get my packages faster! And Cheska will have to wait even longer. >:D

I'm kidding. :) Although what I said is technically true.

oh, they're having a moving sale, too.

Oof. I might be tempted to order more Dark Horse stuff... (AKA Hellboy and Robocop vs Terminator)

PsychBat!

Banned
He turned it back into a Celestial Head in the most recent issue, presumably because the movie embraced the weirdness Bendis was ashamed of. It was also still a Celestial Head in the Nova issues published while Bendis was trying to pretend it wasn't a head.
There should be a catchy theme song for Bendis and his antics.

Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions and this seems like the place to ask them, so here they are:

1 - I know nothing about Judge Dredd but would love to start reading some. Do I have to start at the very beggining or can I just jump around to some good stories?
2 - What are the best stories of Dredd?
3 - Are they collected? I only buy tpbs and hardcovers, so that might limit me somewhat
4 - I live in Mexico, what does any of you non-USA gaffers use to buy your comics online? I used amazon when I had family in the US that could bring me stuff, but that is impossible now. Is thebookdepository my only choice of free and secure shipping?

Thanks!

Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions and this seems like the place to ask them, so here they are:

1 - I know nothing about Judge Dredd but would love to start reading some. Do I have to start at the very beggining or can I just jump around to some good stories?
3 - Are they collected? I only buy tpbs and hardcovers, so that might limit me somewhat

Thanks!

This link

and this link

4 - I live in Mexico, what does any of you non-USA gaffers use to buy your comics online? I used amazon when I had family in the US that could bring me stuff, but that is impossible now. Is thebookdepository my only choice of free and secure shipping?

Thanks!

Judge dread case files

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1906735875/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If you don't like All-New X-Men, you obviously don't like fun.

Um... did he just say I don't like fun?
I think... yeah. Yeah.
That we don't like fun?
Sure. I think thats what he said right?
Totally. Wait which one am I again?
Dunno. Aren't we all the same? Like, y'know, a hive-mind?
Pretty sure thats what we are now, yeah...
What do we do now?
I'm not sure if it's been, y'know, 20 pages worth yet.
Oh. Oh that sucks.
Yeah. So are we stuck like this?
Pretty sure we're stuck like this. Forever.
What if when Bendis like, yknow, dies? Is that when our fictional souls can be set free?
What? For real?
Haha, yeah. Maybe. Here's hoping.

frye

Thanks!

Everyone says start with Case Files 05.

Zombine

Banned
Monsters & Other Stories is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Duarte's art is SO expressive, and he manages to capture every moment perfectly.

Messi

Why are ya'll sleeping on Images Shutter? Some of the most fun I've had reading a book in months such great unique characters. Kates cat is so incredibly upbeat and likeable. He is so curious.

Small spoiler question I'd like answered by someone who reads Shutter.

Is Kates best friend (the one who was hit with the bomb and left in bandages in hospital) a Transgender Woman? Maybe they will come back to that because there was that page where Kate saved her from the bullies for playing with dolls.

Oh and the lizard that shot the rocket :( poor guy

I hope that question isn't offensive :(. I really like her and am just curious.

People. Read this book. Or get the trade in October.

Cheska

Is Kates best friend (the one who was hit with the bomb and left in bandages in hospital) a Transgender Woman? Maybe they will come back to that because there was that page where Kate saved her from the bullies for playing with dolls

Yes, she is.
There's a photograph of the two of them together when they were younger and she's depicted as a young boy in that

Bii

Why are ya'll sleeping on Images Shutter? Some of the most fun I've had reading a book in months such great unique characters. Kates cat is so incredibly upbeat and likeable. He is so curious.

Is Kates best friend (the one who was hit with the bomb and left in bandages in hospital) a Transgender Woman? Maybe they will come back to that because there was that page where Kate saved her from the bullies for playing with dolls.

Oh and the lizard that shot the rocket :( poor guy

People. Read this book. Or get the trade in October.

To answer your question, yes. :)

Edit: Cheska beat me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom