• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Superior Spider-man:
Cool issue. Is the multi-armed Spider-man just some generic one from some what-if?

Miles Morales #4: As always: good but slow, and fuck Peter and everything related to him. We want some proper new stuff. Why should I care about Miles' girlfriend if she only said like three sentences the entire series?

I'm kind of back off the marvel books for the now but I really liked Infinity. In the last wave of marvel books I caught up with, Hickman's Avengers stuff up to and including Infinity were top stuff, neck and neck with Aaron's Thor as the best stuff I checked out.

Mindwipe

It's weird that Comixology doesn't have Batman RIP listed in the Story Arcs section because... well yeah, I'm not sure I have all of it at all.

Or at least there are some very abrupt gaps. Is that just Morrison?

EDIT: Ahhh. When I bought them I must have inadvertently missed #680. That explains a *lot*. :)

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
It's weird that Comixology doesn't have Batman RIP listed in the Story Arcs section because... well yeah, I'm not sure I have all of it at all.

Or at least there are some very abrupt gaps. Is that just Morrison?

EDIT: Ahhh. When I bought them I must have inadvertently missed #680. That explains a *lot*. :)

Haha. Oh geez. Yeah, 680 would be a pretty crucial one to miss. In fact, missing any of the issues of Batman RIP would likely result in massive confusion.
I hope you're enjoying Morrison's Batman so far!

Mindwipe

Haha. Oh geez. Yeah, 680 would be a pretty crucial one to miss. In fact, missing any of the issues of Batman RIP would likely result in massive confusion.
I hope you're enjoying Morrison's Batman so far!

Yeah. I bought a load during the sale and you know how Comixology sometimes just freezes a bit when you add lots of things to your cart, especially when the site is busy? That.

Also I may have been a teeny bit drunk at the time.

Take that, Bendis!

That's really not that more elevated.

I feel like Abnett/Lanning are like this Late Era Woody Allen of comics. Peoples expectations are so low that when something like Midnight In Paris is garbage but not a complete Signal Test on screen, people run around and pretend it was actually worth sitting through.

Their comics really aren't that special.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Superior Spider-man:
Cool issue. Is the multi-armed Spider-man just some generic one from some what-if?

Don't really think that needs to be spoilered since it's one panel, but yes. There's an older story where Spider-Man got four extra arms and Marvel did a What If Spider-Man had kept his six arms comic.

Miles Morales #4: As always: good but slow, and fuck Peter and everything related to him. We want some proper new stuff. Why should I care about Miles' girlfriend if she only said like three sentences the entire series?

In complete agreement on his girlfriend, but there's possibly
something up with her parents
and
Miles telling her who he is
is going to be a big mistake.

nd0jzdE.jpg

Ahhh my July order finally came in, after taking an unexpected trip up to Alaska. Can't wait to dig in tonight.

I feel like Abnett/Lanning are like this Late Era Woody Allen of comics. Peoples expectations are so low that when something like Midnight In Paris is garbage but not a complete Signal Test on screen, people run around and pretend it was actually worth sitting through.

It's not so much that Abnett/Lanning's version of Guardians is high brow or something compared to Bendis.

The writing in Bendis' Guardians is really not that bad ("Blam! Murdered you!" is probably the worst offender) - but the overall story has been lackluster compared to the awesome Abnett/Lanning stories. I don't know if the higher ups have just been pushing to make Guardians this super accessible, nothing-new book, but Bendis' run has been so boring. First arc was very Iron Man focused, at least it dealt with the "don't touch Earth" policy. 2nd arc was Angela, 3rd arc was Jean Grey, granted I've been trade waiting but next up we have Captain Marvel and Venom joining the team. I don't know when the book is going to get around to just having the Guardians being Guardians, instead of playing host to the hot guest character of the season - it's like the whole thing is treading water and only exists to get people more familiar with the team and the story has gone nowhere. Just feels like a waste after finally getting a new Guardians ongoing.

You're gonna be really happy with that Deadly Class volume man. Read it a few weeks ago, top stuff. Please share your thoughts on that, no one had much to say when I posted about it before haha :)

Awesome. No one was really talking about it, but I love Remender so it didn't feel like a risky buy, especially at the low price Image sets the first trades at. Can't wait to read it.

Ahhh my July order finally came in, after taking an unexpected trip up to Alaska. Can't wait to dig in tonight.

You're gonna be really happy with that Deadly Class volume man. Read it a few weeks ago, top stuff. Please share your thoughts on that, no one had much to say when I posted about it before haha :)

Vyer

All I know is Abnett/Lanning Guardians blows away any Guardians comics out there currently. Glad the movie used them for its inspiration.

Art in Rocket is outstanding tho.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The stuff at the end what Black Swan says, and what was with the infinity gem that Thanos searched, it wasn't mentioned anymore at all.

Also Thane just stopping everything .. no real closure.

It's definitely a middle chapter that's for sure. I never really saw it as it's own distinct thing though, it was always just extra chapters to Hickman's Avengers run which is still ongoing. Blame marvel's marketing if anything.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I just finished reading it last night, thought it was incredible. Loved the very manga influenced tone, the whole acid trip was just amazing to see, very inventive, lots of nods over to Fear and Loathing. Character-wise I think it all came together near the end when each of the kids has a more distinct personality, it was quite dense in those first two issues so I was glad to see the story have some slower paced bits in it. #3 was probably my favourite in retrospect, or at least the issue that sticks with me the most. The teenaged boy braggadocio giving way to vulnerability and introspection rang true for me, teenage boys can be very poetic souls given the chance.

Thought that the 'big bad' in the background had shades of Preacher to it, lurid redneck shit. Maybe it's a cliche, we'll see where Remender goes with it. This is probably my favourite of his new books though, very good stuff. Moar!

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo

Nah DnA were great all the way through. Some of the best cosmic comics in the last 20 years.

Uh oh. There's another manga vs comics thread in the OT

Rather than complain about how Bendis GotG < DnA GotG, everyone should just read Captain Marvel.

What's the verdict on her relaunched book? I love me some Carol and enjoyed the previous series, have the first volume on my list for when it comes out.

Dude, Rocket Racoon #1 is your number one selling comic of the month in July. Beating Batman 33.

RANK DESCRIPTION PRICE VENDOR
1 ROCKET RACCOON #1 $3.99 MAR
2 BATMAN #33 $4.99 DC
3 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #4 $3.99 MAR
4 ORIGINAL SIN #5 $3.99 MAR
5 SPIDER-MAN 2099 #1 $3.99 MAR
6 ORIGINAL SIN #6 $3.99 MAR
7 JUSTICE LEAGUE #32 $3.99 DC
8 GRAYSON #1 $2.99 DC
9 THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD #1 $3.99 MAR
10 HARLEY QUINN #8 $2.99 DC

Bii

Dude, Rocket Racoon #1 is your number one selling comic of the month in July. Beating Batman 33.

RANK DESCRIPTION PRICE VENDOR
1 ROCKET RACCOON #1 $3.99 MAR
2 BATMAN #33 $4.99 DC
3 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #4 $3.99 MAR
4 ORIGINAL SIN #5 $3.99 MAR
5 SPIDER-MAN 2099 #1 $3.99 MAR
6 ORIGINAL SIN #6 $3.99 MAR
7 JUSTICE LEAGUE #32 $3.99 DC
8 GRAYSON #1 $2.99 DC
9 THE LEGENDARY STAR-LORD #1 $3.99 MAR
10 HARLEY QUINN #8 $2.99 DC

Didn't Rocket Raccoon's numbers include the how many ever hundred thousands of copies that LootCrate ordered for their members?

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
What's the verdict on her relaunched book? I love me some Carol and enjoyed the previous series, have the first volume on my list for when it comes out.

I haven't read the previous volume (must get round to it) but the current one is brilliant imo. Follows the same trend as books like Ms Marvel, Secret Avengers, Hawkeye etc in that it's a lot of fun. But in space!

carol+c.jpg

captainmarvel2d.jpg

Tizoc

I haven't read the previous volume (must get round to it) but the current one is brilliant imo. Follows the same trend as books like Ms Marvel, Secret Avengers, Hawkeye etc in that it's a lot of fun. But in space!

carol+c.jpg

captainmarvel2d.jpg

That 2nd image...that last panel is ridiculous.

ReAxion

the whole acid trip was just amazing to see, very inventive, lots of nods over to Fear and Loathing.

when asked about this Remender said it was basically ripped from his own life (digital mountains), and that people usually don't care about your acid trip stories if you tell them in real life, but if you put them in a comic, it becomes interesting.

Drayco21

Every time Rocket claims he's not a raccoon, I die a little inside. I miss when he used to claim that shooting things is how it was done back in the Raccooniverse, and that you shouldn't mess with raccoons.

Furyous

Superior Spider-man:

Is this a Spider-Men 2 crossover? Is it me or is that the adult Spider-Man from normal Marvel continuity? If that is the case, then Aunt May shouldn't be surprised. I'm with you for the record. MAKE ALL THE PETER PARKER REFERENCES STOP. Make new villains and give Miles his own trajectory. I hope this arc is the final homage to Peter Parker.

frye

Didn't Rocket Raccoon's numbers include the how many ever hundred thousands of copies that LootCrate ordered for their members?

Those are the Diamond numbers which is the stuff in the shops. Honestly though, considering how Marvel operates it doesn't really mean anything. Generally there's very high retailer incentives/discounts for first issues and Marvel in the past have basically given comics away when the numbers weren't high enough (doubling the shipment of Fraction/Dodson's Defenders #1 from 40k to 80k because the numbers were so goddamn low)

I don't even hate Bendis for living like 98% of comic fandom on the internet does but DnA's GotG is light years better than his.

What a birdbrain.

PsychBat!

Banned
I don't hate Bendis at all. His solo books (Daredevil, Moon Knight etc) and original creations have been nothing short of amazing. That said, when he writes team books, it's really boring and safe. I haven't been impressed with what he's done with Avengers or New Avengers. Even less with his Guardians of the Earth.
When did Knowhere stop becoming a severed celestial head and become a planet?
I think the only exceptions are his X-Men books. Those are pretty good even if they are a bit slow.

I'm 2 chapters away from finishing up "I was the Cat" and so far I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I brought it to work today hand have been reading it on my breaks after reading more than half of it last night before bed. I will write a more in depth review after I finish it.

You can lob any insult you want at Bendis. Bit brah wouldn't whimp out after six issues on Moon Knight and try and pass it off some Herculean effort.....

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just read Rocket Raccoon #1. That was fantastic! Super fun and amazing art. Pretty interesting story so far, too.
I'll almost definitely be picking up this series in trades (or hopefully an oversized hardcover).

Thanks again, Bii!

kd-z

You can lob any insult you want at Bendis. Bit brah wouldn't whimp out after six issues on Moon Knight and try and pass it off some Herculean effort.....
Rafa, you know I'm your fan and a believer, but I need to see a comic script written by you to keep the flames of my faith burning. Do it brah.

I'm reading Brubaker's Batman: Dead Reckoning on Comixology and the first couple issues have backups about Batman being infected with some virus or something and turning into a green, plant/bacteria-like monster. This MIGHT be the greatest thing ever, but the positioning of these little snippets of story RIGHT AFTER the main story (and probably a cliffhanger/tease) kinda spoils the mood :p

Oh, and ('Tec Comics #778 spoilers):
Batman resuscitating Pengiun feels JUST RIGHT. Batman wouldn't let anyone die if he could help it!

fauxtrot

Banned
Anyone still pulling All-New Ultimates? I really want to support Michel Fiffe, but I don't allow myself to purchase bad comics.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
So I have A LOT of comics to catch up on -- I'm going to restart reading Turtles just because I didn't get that far when I tried, and I wanted to make sure I was reading them in the publication order (there's a lot of miniseries, spin-offs now with Turtles in Time, etc.) so...

Is there a reference I can use that shows me which comics were released first? I just want to make sure I'm reading the order in which they were meant to be told before I start (so I know when to read a mini-series comic during the main run, etc.).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Replaced my Spiderman comic with Rocket on my wall. Will add Spiderman back and Batman after I get some more nails or hanging strips.

928638_691985410880169_695923060_n.jpg

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
When did Knowhere stop becoming a severed celestial head and become a planet?

This happened in 2008 during the DnA run. I think it's first introduction was during Nova run, and it also introduced Cosmo, one of my favorite recent character additions to the Marvel universe. To my knowledge, Bendis had no direct involvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom