• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read Ultimate Spidey #2

Why is
Peter
acting such a dick?

That's not
Peter
anyway
(if it is, he will die in a few issues). Besides, his female clone acted like a dick too when she found out Miles picked up the mantle at first so you shouldn't be surprised.

So as I've been on this statue kick it occurred to me in my closet I had a number of action figures that I bought years ago but I never bothered to open up. Partly because I wondered if they'd be worth something, but mostly because I was lazy and didn't know where I'd put them.

I decided to look up the figures on Ebay to see what they were selling for and I was pleasantly surprised to see them all going from $20-40 each. Here's what I've got now organized

What I have is the Batman Hush Action Set (apparently Nightwing, Catwoman,Harley and Gordon are the top sellers):
Dn2560a.jpg

ZgGH8xZ.jpg

yajxSl3.jpg

zujrNhN.jpg

I then got some other Batman and Transformer classic rerelases

And then McFarlane's complete set for MGS1 & 2

And Finally this McFarlane Dragon Series 1 set that look very cool

I've got some JLU boxes and 10" figures as well boxed up that go for $30-60 each

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
That's not
Peter
anyway
(if it is, he will die in a few issues). Besides, his female clone acted like a dick too when she found out Miles picked up the mantle at first so you shouldn't be surprised.

Ah. I wonder why they've even added him? Really unnecessary.

Zombine

Banned
So as I've been on this statue kick it occurred to me in my closet I had a number of action figures that I bought years ago but I never bothered to open up. Partly because I wondered if they'd be worth something, but mostly because I was lazy and didn't know where I'd put them.

I decided to look up the figures on Ebay to see what they were selling for and I was pleasantly surprised to see them all going from $20-40 each. Here's what I've got now organized

What I have is the Batman Hush Action Set (apparently Nightwing, Catwoman,Harley and Gordon are the top sellers):

I then got some other Batman and Transformer classic rerelases

And then McFarlane's complete set for MGS1 & 2

And Finally this McFarlane Dragon Series 1 set that look very cool

I've got some JLU boxes and 10" figures as well boxed up that go for $30-60 each

Can I come over and open all of those for you?

Ah. I wonder why they've even added him? Really unnecessary.

Bendis is just trolling because he has ran out of material. The only thing he has been doing is have Miles fight all of Peter's enemies better than Peter did (with his Mary Suenom blast) and steal his harem and cry about being Spider-man. This book needs a reboot already and it hasn't even been through its first story arc.

Can I come over and open all of those for you?
Hah. I actually thought about opening them up until I looked them up on eBay.

The Optimus prime re release seems to go for $80-100 which is crazy since it's not the original. The other transformers go for $40

The good news is I re remembered I bought and opened up another set of MGS1 figures. So I found them and will putting them on shelves today

I also have a complete set of ep1 Star Wars action figures boxed up (got before I saw the movie) that seem to go for by too much. The lot for $200

Zombine

Banned
Hah. I actually thought about opening them up until I looked them up on eBay.

The Optimus prime re release seems to go for $80-100 which is crazy since it's not the original. The other transformers go for $40

The good news is I re remembered I bought and opened up another set of MGS1 figures. So I found them and will putting them on shelves today

It's pretty weird. When I was a kid I had to have everything in their boxes. Now that I'm older I can't be bothered with keeping figures mint. I like to put my nicknacks up on display or on my computer desk.

Got Rocket Raccoon #2 and Legendary Star-Lord #2 from my LCS yesterday. But they couldn't get me the #1s so I had to find them myself on midtowncomics. Those should be here within a week or two, so then I'll be able to read the #1s and #2s.

Otherwise, finally got around to reading part of The Black Mirror. Pretty damn good thus far. Also got Deadpool (Marvel Now) Vol. 3 and flipped through it. Looks good and might go through it in detail tonight.

Have Thor: God of Thunder Vol 2, Batman Vol 3, Uncanny X-Force Collection Vol 1, and A&N GOTG Vol 1 on the way. Should be here next week.

Through Marvel Unlimited, I'm going through Indestructible Hulk and am loving it. Kind of regretting it because I think getting the physical editions would be a lot of fun but maybe down the line. Was not impressed by New Avengers #1 at all, but liked what I saw in Secret Avengers #1 and Avengers #1. Will probably start getting the TPBs for those. Waid's Daredevil was okay but nothing spectacular and I saw they just relaunched it again for Marvel Now, right?

Night of the Living Deadpool was a lot of fun but that's only the first two issues on there so far. I will have to get the TPB or something down the line.

Lots of good reading on the way.

It's pretty weird. When I was a kid I had to have everything in their boxes. Now that I'm older I can't be bothered with keeping figures mint. I like to put my nicknacks up on display or on my computer desk.
I hear ya. It's why I moved from action figures to satues. I hated the notion of halving the value or more just in displaying them. I never sell stuff but I want the option. At least with statues if I keep the box and material it loses some value but not a ton

Just read the first issue of X-O Manowar and it was really interesting. If only the backissues didn't still cost $3. I only spend that much for Invincible and Walking Dead

Cheska

I hear ya. It's why I moved from action figures to satues. I hated the notion of halving the value or more just in displaying them. I never sell stuff but I want the option. At least with statues if I keep the box and material it loses some value but not a ton

The nice thing about Sideshow statues is that if you keep the original packaging, you're almost always guaranteed to get at least your money back. Though for the most part, they still go for above retail since they sell out.

Zombine

Banned
The nice thing about Sideshow statues is that if you keep the original packaging, you're almost always guaranteed to get at least your money back. Though for the most part, they still go for above retail since they sell out.

Sideshow Statues = Gold reserve comfirmed.

My shop has a Harley B&W again but it's priced at 189.99. The resell on that is already crazy. The Hush Kiss statue is just now starting to sell for over retail.

kd-z

Six-Gun Gorilla - Issue #1-#3 - Holy shit, this is amazing. I thank everyone on here who hyped it up.
Six-Gun Gorilla - Issue #4-#6 - Great ending to a brilliant mini-series. I need (and this book deserves) an OHC.
One of us! One of us!
Glad you enjoyed it! :)
Huh? You kept toys in their packaging when you were a kid? How old? Didn't you want to, like, play with them?

Zombine

Banned
Huh? You kept toys in their packaging when you were a kid? How old? Didn't you want to, like, play with them?

I played with them from around...I don't know maybe 2-3ish till I was 10-11. Then I move on to anime type figures and they all stayed in boxes. Then I fell out of that sort of thing till the past year or so, and now if there is a figure or statue I want to add to a collection I have, they come out of the box asap.

Messi

I have fallen deeply in love with the Thor the Dark world Hot Toys figure. I need it. I would love the light armor one but it's crazy money. The other normal one is doable.

kd-z

I played with them from around...I don't know maybe 2-3ish till I was 10-11. Then I move on to anime type figures and they all stayed in boxes. Then I fell out of that sort of thing till the past year or so, and now if there is a figure or statue I want to add to a collection I have, they come out of the box asap.
OK, so you meant a 12+ year-old kid. That makes sense, the first thing I imagined was a 5 year old getting a new GI Joe or something for Christmas and keeping it in the box :D

Some comics impressions!

Dead Reckoning, from Detective Comics #777-782 by Ed Brubaker - it was really cool. Some moment felts just right, like the one I mentioned earlier (
Batman resuscitating the penguin
). I'm not sure if I would really compare it to Hush like a lot of people do. I actually enjoyed Hush, though it was my third Batcomic (after The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns, I believe) and I know that the criticisms aimed at it come from a place of deeper understanding of Batman than mine. I still think it's energy, sense of movement and bombast was quite gripping and a lot of fun, though. Dead Reckoning certainly lacked that. After all it was not drawn by Jim Lee and had only six issues. It also didn't aim for it - it was a mystery, not a blockbuster.
Overall: fun, but not amazing. I do badly need more Brubaker in my life now, though.

Revival, volume 1. I've been interested in this for quite a while. Got the first trade from the Humble Image Bundle.
It was interesting, though not mindblowing. I think the art fit the tone perfectly - I really enjoy the combination of a serious story and cartoonish art. Also, since everthing looked nice most of the time, all the more gore-y bits stood out and were quite shocking. The few action scenes were really good - Norton's framing in the
snowmobile chase
especially.
I'm not really feeling the overall mystery, though. It just didn't grab me, but then those five issues didn't really focus on it - they kept it in the background, giving the foreground to the characters instead. I care much more about the characters (especially Dana) than about the mystery. It would be a very good thing if I cared about the mystery at all. Right now I'm not sure if I want to keep reading. I'm interested in the characters and love the atmosphere, but the core mystery left me cold.
How is the book progressing? I don't see it discussed here at all, and the fourth trade releases next month.

What # "death" is this for Wolverine?
"Look, when Paul Cornell came to us with a pitch. And I mean it was big league Justin Veralnder fast ball, on how to kill Wolverine we listened. And when we realized he could pitch but not quite step up to the plate to drive in the game winning run, we listened harder to Charles Soule. And while the American League offers the Designated Hitter, we at Marvel offer the best stories, with biggest creators creators at the biggest price. We are always looking to have that extra guy in the lineup to make our readers say 'wow! i'm reading a Marvel Comic brought to me by Marvel Entertainment'. And so when Mike Marts came to us and told us he was tired of working for the Distinguished Competition and was eager for running the greatest show on tirg again, we listened. And Mike is all about bringing that grit and that realism to his stories. He just takes controls and shows everything. So as you know in life there are no resurrections. There are no second chances. Wolverine will not be coming back from this. You can't just have a character will him back into existence with a 'more Wolverine' edict. That's not what we are about at Marvel. Only one guy in the history of the real world has been resurrected. Wolverine won't be the second. Though we are soing our absolute best at bringing you a religious experience. [laughs]."

Axel Alonso

tim1138

"Look, when Paul Cornell came to us with a pitch. And I mean it was big league Justin Veralnder fast ball, on how to kill Wolverine we listened. And when we realized he could pitch but not quite step up to the plate to drive in the game winning run, we listened harder to Charles Soule. And while the American League offers the Designated Hitter, we at Marvel offer the best stories, with biggest creators creators at the biggest price. We are always looking to have that extra guy in the lineup to make our readers say 'wow! i'm reading a Marvel Comic brought to me by Marvel Entertainment'. And so when Mike Marts came to us and told us he was tired of working for the Distinguished Competition and was eager for running the greatest show on tirg again, we listened. And Mike is all about bringing that grit and that realism to his stories. He just takes controls and shows everything. So as you know in life there are no resurrections. There are no second chances. Wolverine will not be coming back from this. You can't just have a character will him back into existence with a 'more Wolverine' edict. That's not what we are about at Marvel. Only one guy in the history of the real world has been resurrected. Wolverine won't be the second. Though we are soing our absolute best at bringing you a religious experience. [laughs]."

Axel Alonso

Amazing, simply amazing.

Zombine

Banned

Axel Alonso

Conan-Stand-Up-and-Claps.gif

PsychBat!

Banned

Axel Alonso
1521.gif

I'm surprised any mutant is sad when one dies. They always come back. Which is why in xfacter Peter David had siryn go with a great reaction when banshee died of straight denial. Oh the irony since he's one of the few still dead mutants.

For now...

Axel Alonso
ZqD67JP.png

Bii

Axel Alonso

smilehuman-tricks-gif-kristen-stewart-smile_thumb.gif

-
Daredevil #5

Foggy Nelson is dead! Well, maybe. Sort of. Guess I can't give a summary without it spoiling something. This was a fun little issue; nothing groundbreaking but still enjoyable nonetheless. The art fluctuates from one panel to another, and it bothers me just a little bit. In one scene, you have a beautiful and somber depiction of heavy rain pouring down the residents of San Francisco, and in another, you get something very bland even when it's an action sequence (see images below).

-

Shutter #4

Probably still the biggest surprise for me this year was picking up Shutter. I was skeptical with the first issue and after four, it's really coming together. Kate has retreated back to where she grew up to face what she's left behind. We actually get a glimpse of her dad's life and it really builds on Kate's character.

-

The Amazing Spider-Man #3

I don't know why I'm doing this to myself but I'm really not feeling this series, at all. I've been reading Slott's run on Spider-Man with the Big Time TPB and it's been fun reading that. I'm not sure what happened after the renumbering, but it's just not fun. There are some cool moments where Spidey was trying to tell Black Cat that he's no longer Doc Ock but they were far and few.

Zombine

Banned
Does anyone here enjoy stories that begin at the end and don't get back to that point in the story until 50 issues later? Could you stay with a book if it was well written and tied back to that point near the end of the series? Genuinely curious.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Does anyone here enjoy stories that begin at the end and don't get back to that point in the story until 50 issues later? Could you stay with a book if it was well written and tied back to that point near the end of the series? Genuinely curious.

Never saw a comic which did this, but i would be very interested in something like this.

To be honest, I can understand Felicia, I wouldnt believe Spidey either :D

I'm honestly very sympathetic with her. I would hate Peter also for what he did to her.

Sitting down and talking about it isn't what comics are about. The years of history they have together, the completely out of character way he treated her as Doc Ock Spiderman, the changed speech patterns and word usage. It'd make no sense for Felicia to do anything but fight him.

Tizoc

Sitting down and talking about it isn't what comics are about. The years of history they have together, the completely out of character way he treated her as Doc Ock Spiderman, the changed speech patterns and word usage. It'd make no sense for Felicia to do anything but fight him.

Who is the character in your avatar? The artstyle seems familiar...

i just read the entire annihilation and annihilation conquest series with nova and guardians of the galaxy to watch the movie. wow, one of the best comics i've read! with silver surfer and the other heralds in the mix, it's some good reading. not to mention nova finally getting some spotlight.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Axel Alonso

Wow, I cant believe that they really dont are ashamed to say bullshit like this litteraly just a couple of weeks after Peter Parker (who was supposed to never ever come back! Excelsior!) returned. I would feel so stupid if I would say something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom