• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
It looks like The Star Wars HC is coming out next week, and while I found most of it hard to digest because of our pre-conceived notion of what Star Wars is, I encourage all fans to pick this up. It was a labor of love and one of the final Dark Horse Star Wars projects. Disney can't take it away, Marvel can't write the story out of existence, it is what it is and I appreciate Dark Horse for giving it to us.

I'm also sure it'll fetch a pretty penny in the future.

i just read the entire annihilation and annihilation conquest series with nova and guardians of the galaxy to watch the movie. wow, one of the best comics i've read! with silver surfer and the other heralds in the mix, it's some good reading. not to mention nova finally getting some spotlight.

Make sure you read The Thanos Imperative if you haven't already!

Reading through Six Gun Gorilla right now. On issue 5 and it's so awesome so far.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It looks like The Star Wars HC is coming out next week, and while I found most of it hard to digest because of our pre-conceived notion of what Star Wars is, I encourage all fans to pick this up. It was a labor of love and one of the final Dark Horse Star Wars projects. Disney can't take it away, Marvel can't write the story out of existence, it is what it is and I appreciate Dark Horse for giving it to us.

I'm also sure it'll fetch a pretty penny in the future.

Still hate that they lost the licence.
Really loved their The Star Wars Project and I am very sad that they cant continue it, especially because they wrapped the Lucas original vision for the OT in the first Volume and now the things would have gone interesting with the stuff, which would have been completly new to us.

Beside that, I am a little bit afraid that Marvel "waste" to many Artists and Writers on their Star Wars stuff which I rather want to see on their Superhero Stuff.
Still, I am excited for their Princess Leia and Darth Vader books.

tim1138

Reread the first 13 issues of Kirby's Eternals today, good stuff all around. A lot of concepts and designs from that series were reused and fleshed out in the Fourth World comics with the New Gods and New Genesis and Apokolips. Kirby laid the groundwork for both Marvel and DC's cosmic universes.

Zombine

Banned
Really loved their The Star Wars Project and I am very sad that they cant continue it, especially because they wrapped the Lucas original vision for the OT in the first Volume and now the things would have gone interesting with the stuff, which would have been completly new to us.

Beside that, I am a little bit afraid that Marvel "waste" to many Artists and Writers on their Star Wars stuff which I rather want to see on their Superhero Stuff.

Remender writes like 10 books at once. Why not make 11 a Star Wars title?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Remender writes like 10 books at once. Why not make 11 a Star Wars title?
Depends on the artist.

Remender does a lot books, but there are other who dont work that much.

I would be interested in a Starlin or a Hickman Star Wars books, but I would rather see them focused on their editor owned projects and superhero stuff.

Vibranium

Banned
"Look, when Paul Cornell came to us with a pitch. And I mean it was big league Justin Veralnder fast ball, on how to kill Wolverine we listened. And when we realized he could pitch but not quite step up to the plate to drive in the game winning run, we listened harder to Charles Soule. And while the American League offers the Designated Hitter, we at Marvel offer the best stories, with biggest creators creators at the biggest price. We are always looking to have that extra guy in the lineup to make our readers say 'wow! i'm reading a Marvel Comic brought to me by Marvel Entertainment'. And so when Mike Marts came to us and told us he was tired of working for the Distinguished Competition and was eager for running the greatest show on tirg again, we listened. And Mike is all about bringing that grit and that realism to his stories. He just takes controls and shows everything. So as you know in life there are no resurrections. There are no second chances. Wolverine will not be coming back from this. You can't just have a character will him back into existence with a 'more Wolverine' edict. That's not what we are about at Marvel. Only one guy in the history of the real world has been resurrected. Wolverine won't be the second. Though we are soing our absolute best at bringing you a religious experience. [laughs]."

Axel Alonso

Fucking Axel man, he just has no shame at all and can never speak "real" to the fans. Look pal, Wolverine is coming back, perhaps after the "Time Runs Out" event. If you want to put death is final into 616, you're gonna have to reboot and then stick to it- and I seriously doubt the powers that be would like that.

Seriously, are there any cool editors out in the industry that could replace him as EiC and start over with a new leaf? I really don't like this guy as people know, him, Brevoort and Quesaeda need to go. Get some "Young Guns" into the higher executive positions.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Kipp man, you finish seed of destruction yet??

I did! I finished it yesterday afternoon, but right afterwards a friend came over so I didn't have time to post about it.
I don't really have many things to say about it besides the fact that I absolutely loved it, even more than the first time I read it. The story, the art, everything about it is so great. And it's such an awesome introduction into the world. For being the first story that had to introduce all the characters and the world and everything, it's paced so brilliantly.
Also, I love the fact that at the very end of the story, after all of that complete insanity went down, Abe, Liz, and Hellboy all just sit there and casually talk about what just happened.

I'd love to hear any thoughts you had about it while rereading it (if you did end up rereading it, that is)!

Also, I'm planning to start Wake the Devil later today, which I'm equally excited about.

Yeah, you know. Some dude, sitting on the curb, being temporarily overwhelmed by everyday struggle. That was my line of thought.

Oh okay, gotcha. Also, I love that you knew he was sitting on a curb. I drew him as if he was sitting on a curb, but didn't end up actually drawing the curb. Haha

Zombine

Banned
Depends on the artist.

Remender does a lot books, but there are other who dont work that much.

I would be interested in a Starlin or a Hickman Star Wars books, but I would rather see them focused on their editor owned projects and superhero stuff.

Hickman yes, Starlin is way, way past his prime.

tumblr_ln4nq6qqX21qzox9uo1_400.jpg

Kipp

"Look, when Paul Cornell came to us with a pitch. And I mean it was big league Justin Veralnder fast ball, on how to kill Wolverine we listened. And when we realized he could pitch but not quite step up to the plate to drive in the game winning run, we listened harder to Charles Soule. And while the American League offers the Designated Hitter, we at Marvel offer the best stories, with biggest creators creators at the biggest price. We are always looking to have that extra guy in the lineup to make our readers say 'wow! i'm reading a Marvel Comic brought to me by Marvel Entertainment'. And so when Mike Marts came to us and told us he was tired of working for the Distinguished Competition and was eager for running the greatest show on tirg again, we listened. And Mike is all about bringing that grit and that realism to his stories. He just takes controls and shows everything. So as you know in life there are no resurrections. There are no second chances. Wolverine will not be coming back from this. You can't just have a character will him back into existence with a 'more Wolverine' edict. That's not what we are about at Marvel. Only one guy in the history of the real world has been resurrected. Wolverine won't be the second. Though we are soing our absolute best at bringing you a religious experience. [laughs]."

Axel Alonso

Incredible. I was laughing the whole way through.

PsychBat!

Banned
Was The Infinity Revelation OGN really that bad? I want to get around to reading it since I have started getting into Starlin's books and I like him.
Not even close to being terrible. It was great. If you like Starlin's work then that's a bonus. Infinity Revelation is much better than War, Crusade and especially Abyss.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not even close to being terrible. It was great. If you like Starlin's work then that's a bonus. Infinity Revelation is much better than War, Crusade and especially Abyss.

Is Infinity Revelations oversized like an OHC or am Omnibus and does it come with a digital code?

PsychBat!

Banned
Is Infinity Revelations oversized like an OHC or am Omnibus and does it come with a digital code?
It's an OGN (Original Graphic Novel). Like Spider-Man: Family Business and X-Men: No More Humans. It's a self contained story like All-Star Superman but it's actually canon.
(Not sure about No More Humans though).
It's not an OHC and I'm not sure if it does come with a digital code.

The tpb and Hardcover have been out for a few weeks. The one coming out this coming week is the deluxe version, which has the hardcover and some extras, including another book full of concept art. It's very tempting, especially if IST offers it for a decent price.

I haven't been into Star Wars lately as much as I used to be, but now with all this new stuff on the horizon, I'm feeling pretty excited. Can't wait for that new Asajj Ventress novel. :D

As much as I've loved the Dark Horse Star Wars titles (Legacy and Knights of the Old Republic chief among them), I've felt that the books they've been putting out most recently haven't been up to the same quality. I'm looking forward to seeing what Marvel does with the license now that art quality is so much better than it was the last time Marvel was putting out Star Wars books.

I still treasure my complete run of Star Wars Legacy singles, including #0 and #0½

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
It's an OGN (Original Graphic Novel). Like Spider-Man: Family Business and X-Men: No More Humans. It's a self contained story like All-Star Superman but it's actually canon.

No More Humans is canon, AFAIK. They reference the Battle of the Atom and all that.

I'm not sure about Avengers Endless Wartime, tho. But it's a very self-contained story with current characters costumes and background elements so...

GAMEPROFF

Banned

Great. Bought Family Business a couple of days ago and loved the format. I normally prefere Softcovers, but I really like the oversized pages, the art looks always so gorgeous on it. That they include digital codes is also very nice. Its cool to build up a little digital collection. (Still hope, that they start sellimg codes with TPBs and Omnibusses soon...)

As much as I've loved the Dark Horse Star Wars titles (Legacy and Knights of the Old Republic chief among them), I've felt that the books they've been putting out most recently haven't been up to the same quality. I'm looking forward to seeing what Marvel does with the license now that art quality is so much better than it was the last time Marvel was putting out Star Wars books.

I still treasure my complete run of Star Wars Legacy singles, including #0 and #0½
Do you think that it would be better to start buying Darl Horse Star Wars books? They will disapear from the shelfes when Marvel gets the licence, wont they?
Still need to buy a couple of Omnibusses and the Legecy Hardcovers...

Kipp

Finished Six-Gun Gorilla and I loved it! Gonna have to pick it up physically.

What else from the Boom bundle is worth reading?

The Six-Gun Gorilla TPB is fairly expensive as TPBs go, but it's the highest quality TPB I own. Really nice paper and cover and everything. Definitely worth having physically.

And not sure if it's actually good, but you should read the Robocop stuff, just because! The preview of the new Robocop comic (#1 and #2 are in the bundle) I read a little while back looked super cheesy. Just the way it should be. The art looked great too.

PsychBat!

Banned
The really wacky thing about Infinity Revelations is that
Marvel: The End was actually canon!
I mean, wtf. I'm glad and confused at the same time.

EDIT: Went through my old box of comics to read the old Thanos mini-series back in 2003. Marvel: The End is canon... huh... go figure.

Do you think that it would be better to start buying Dark Horse Star Wars books? They will disappear from the shelves when Marvel gets the license, wont they? Still need to buy a couple of Omnibusses and the Legacy Hardcovers...

I don't think Dark Horse loses the license until the end of the year, but now would probably be the time.

Alright its statue showing time. First off after seeing GotG (very fun movie) I went statue shopping and walked away with 4 new statues!
- Power Girl Bust (no pun intended)
- Bowen Action Spider-man statue
- KotoBukiya Knightwing
- KotoBukiya Batgirl

I've placed an orders out for 11 more that will be showing up in the next week or so

So here's my display room. I'm not sure how this compares to other collections but I like how its turned out so far. Essentially the dining room was replaced for a room to display statues and figurines. Here's my collection so far, and I'll update it when the new statues show up:

When you enter the front door to the left is the display room

The Center area with KotoBukiya Batman, Sideshow Vader and Sideshow Strider. Plus a model of the Millennium Falcon and my Lego Star Destroyer (took 10 hours or so to build!)

Now the Left Shelf we have a couple of the new figures on the top, and some of the first statues I ever got (Starman). Years ago his staff broke but i have a replacement on the way!

Now the Right Shelf: I normally don't like busts but one I got as the gift, and the other two looked too cool. Also I also have a couple nice DC cover girl statues. And then a classic Macross toy and some video game bonus statues

Finally we have the "spotlight" corner. Where I have 3 David Mack prints that were signed by him when I went to a comic con. In addition the first edition of Superman vs Darkseid, a Bowen Captain American and the newest edition Bowen Spider-man. Finally a working bat signal ;)

I also took photos of my "Library" that stores my game collection, dvds, figures, etc. I also took photos of the retro game room, and my Trade collection area. If people are interested I could post those as well. But I didn't want to post too many photos!

Coming soon we have Daredevil, Hulk, Thor, Green Lantern, Shazam, Black Adam, Flash, Tim Drake Robin, Ironman, Wolverine, and the Sideshow Darth Vader Mythos statue. (I also have 3 December pre-orders from DC direct for WW, Harley/Joker, and Aquaman)

Let me know what you think.

Cheska

I also took photos of my "Library" that stores my game collection, dvds, figures, etc. I also took photos of the retro game room, and my Trade collection area. If people are interested I could post those as well. But I didn't want to post too many photos!

Coming soon we have Daredevil, Hulk, Thor, Green Lantern, Shazam, Black Adam, Flash, Tim Drake Robin, Ironman, Wolverine, and the Sideshow Darth Vader Mythos statue. (I also have 3 December pre-orders from DC direct for WW, Harley/Joker, and Aquaman)

Let me know what you think.

Awesome stuff so far dude! And post away! You should see how overboard I got with the pictures when I posted my collection last month haha

Zombine

Banned
Okay guys while I got you all here, what rules do you follow when it comes to your collection? Does it stay in a dedicated room like my stuff, or does it bleed out into other rooms if you have your own house/apartment?

The reason why I confine our stuff with the exception of prints is because I want my place to feel warm and welcoming to fans and non fans alike.

Awesome stuff so far dude! And post away! You should see how overboard I got with the pictures when I posted my collection last month haha
Thanks. Maybe tomorrow I'll post the rest.

Okay guys while I got you all here, what rules do you follow when it comes to your collection? Does it stay in a dedicated room like my stuff, or does it bleed out into other rooms if you have your own house/apartment?

The reason why I confine our stuff with the exception of prints is because I want my place to feel warm and welcoming to fans and non fans alike.
I keep most of the statues and stuff in one area. However posters, art, wall scrolls are all throughout the house. I try to find stuff that isn't controversial or stuff that stands out too much. But as you'll see later I tailored my house to me, not others :)

Zombine

Banned
Thanks. Maybe tomorrow I'll post the rest.

I keep most of the statues and stuff in one area. However posters, art, wall scrolls are all throughout the house. I try to find stuff that isn't controversial or stuff that stands out too much. But as you'll see later I tailored my house to me, not others :)

Same! We do what we like. We just try to keep everything we do have looking nice. I've seen some awful setups where it's overpowering for even me. Framed posters are fair game, as are drinkware, plates, ect.

Do you folks keep Hardcovers and Paperbacks separate? I do.
No. The only stuff I separate are absolute editions, oversized volumes and I've started to move the mega omnibuses into their own section. Oh and my Bruce timm naughty and nice art book is in it's own area out of sight so if the nephew and niece come over they don't see the nude sketches

My wife and I don't have friends really. At least friends that come over so our stuff is everywhere.

Looking forward to non-prequel Batman list

Batgirl #34
Batman #34
Batman Eternal #19
Harley Quinn #9
TMNT #37
Sex Criminals #7
Walking Dead #130
All-New X-Men #30
Amazing Spider-Man #5
Original Sin #7

List!