• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Starlight is really good though. Nobody has gotten raped yet.

1372688531018.jpg

I nearly cut myself on the edge. Hard to believe this guy wrote 22 stories in a single bound

That's the funny thing to me. His Superman Adventures run is so good. Clever, exciting, accessible, morally upstanding; the prototypical ongoing for the Man of Steel. My favorite issue was actually the one where Bruce Wayne got kidnapped by the Mad Hatter and was gonna shoot him on Live TV unless Batman showed up, revealed his secret identity, and gave him his cowl(hat collector, don't you know). Course WE know Bruce is Batman, but dramatic irony and all that. So Superman has to fit-in with Gotham scare tactics, which he's no good at.

jmdH0rWUgcyRB.jpg

jCp7c7STXnqA7.jpg

But eventually Supes does say the day, in a totally Superman kind of way once they track the escaped Hatter to the sewers

jOr1LVTY8LWXv.jpg

jbl1LnOPIMN5Xp.jpg

Superman, who loves everybody even the psychologically troubled, understands and appeals to their wants and needs in a non-violent humanistic manner. What a smart and compassionate way to resolve this situation! No edgy fisticuffs or dark angst here, just a really well done superhero book by a writer who clearly understands the traditions of how these things work.

He doesn't have to try so hard if he doesn't want to.

Hi ComicGaf ! I'm a complete newcomer in the comic world and I thought that my trip to NYC at the and of the month would be a good moment to start but I have a few question.

What's the best place to buy comics in NY?
What are the best run for a beginner who are available in Hardcover? I'm interest in Spidey, X-men, Batman, JLA, Avengers, Green Lantern and Flash but other recommandation are welcome.

Thanks.

Hi ComicGaf ! I'm a complete newcomer in the comic world and I thought that my trip to NYC at the and of the month would be a good moment to start but I have a few question.

What are the best run for a beginner who are available in Hardcover? I'm interest in Spidey, X-men, Batman, JLA, Avengers, Green Lantern and Flash but other recommandation are welcome.

Thanks.

Don't know about shops but for starter kits let's see. I can recommend a lot of stuff but I'll try to boil it down to a couple runs that are either their definitive run or easy to get into. Also check out instocktrades.com for the best online prices out there.
Spider-man: ultimate spiderman by Bendis (the first volume with Parker)
X-men: astonishing xmen by Joss whedon
batman: Year one and/or The Long Halloween
JLA: give the first trade by Grant Morrison a try
avengers: hm not sure. Maybe Busieks Avengers Assemble?
green Lantern: geoff Johns is the a great run. Start with GL rebirth
flash: Again Johns run is great. start with blood will wonderland trade or blood will run
Superman: All star superman by Morrison. Secret identity (alternate timeline story) or maybe For all seasons.

Thanks.
For good starter books, try out Hawkeye by Matt Fraction (you can get two paperbacks or an oversized hardcover) and Batman by Scott Snyder (just start at volume 1). For Spider-Man you can really just start with Superior volume 1 without any issues. Green Lantern start with Secret Origin and just work your way through other trades by Geoff Johns.

I also recommend Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Despite the title, it has nothing to do with Spider-Man and you don't really need any prior knowledge to have fun with it. It's a comedy series about the current "Sinister Six" (there's only five of them) and it is absolutely hilarious. Two paperback trades out right now.

Don't know about shops but for starter kits let's see. I can recommend a lot of stuff but I'll try to boil it down to a couple runs that are either their definitive run or easy to get into. Also check out instocktrades.com for the best online prices out there.
Spider-man: ultimate spiderman by Bendis (the first volume with Parker)
X-men: astonishing xmen by Joss whedon
batman: Year one and/or The Long Halloween
JLA: give the first trade by Grant Morrison a try
avengers: hm not sure. Maybe Busieks Avengers Assemble?
green Lantern: geoff Johns is the a great run. Start with GL rebirth
flash: Again Johns run is great. start with blood will wonderland trade or blood will run
Superman: All star superman by Morrison. Secret identity (alternate timeline story) or maybe For all seasons.

For good starter books, try out Hawkeye by Matt Fraction (you can get two paperbacks or an oversized hardcover) and Batman by Scott Snyder (just start at volume 1). For Spider-Man you can really just start with Superior volume 1 without any issues. Green Lantern start with Secret Origin and just work your way through other trades by Geoff Johns.

I also recommend Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Despite the title, it has nothing to do with Spider-Man and you don't really need any prior knowledge to have fun with it. It's a comedy series about the current "Sinister Six" (there's only five of them) and it is absolutely hilarious. Two paperback trades out right now.

Thanks to both of you, I'll look through it.

LProtag

I want to get back into reading comics and I'm considering trying out Marvel Unlimited.

Should I wait until there's another promo? I think one just happened that I missed, and I'm not sure how often they come around.

Owzers

I want to get back into reading comics and I'm considering trying out Marvel Unlimited.

Should I wait until there's another promo? I think one just happened that I missed, and I'm not sure how often they come around.

they seem to come out during big comic cons and black friday/christmas. It's been awhile since they had one for an annual discount which is what i want, last one was for a month.

They've done a couple this year. There was one in Feb or so and one a couple weeks ago. I'm sure they'll do another at some point. But I'm not sure when or if this year

I just made my first Sideshow Collectibles order for 2 hot toys. I feel weak at the knees.

Hot Toys are like a drug. I remember my first hit...that was about 25 Hot Toys ago. It's a slippery slope...but a beautiful one at that. There should be a HotToysGaf.

Vibranium

Banned
Its Sunday again and that meSUPRISE MILLAR MOMENT

so edgy
much evil
wow

the original script called for Red Skull to fuck the baby, but that was a bit too graphic for Marvel

Well, Red Skull did almost throw his own baby daughter off a cliff in 616 (and slaps her a ton), but Millar's Ultimate rapey thing sounds terrible, even for The Skull.

But it did annoy me to no end how much they nerfed him in The First Avenger, surprised nobody ever questioned Feige or Markus and McFeely about that. We got no looks at his racist, and xenophobic nature in the movie, the guy is supposed to be terrifying scum, something that Brubaker nailed but the MCU so far won't tackle (don't get me started about him not being Hitler's right hand man and more of a hardcore Nazi). When he comes back in the movies, it'd be really interesting if they approach the essence of the character- besides being an intelligent egomaniac, he is some of the worst that humanity has to offer.

My haul for the week of 8/6, friends:
b9moUr4.jpg

Marshal Law #1-6 (VG) - Can't believe I found the entire run. Love Kevin O'Neill's style.
Veil #2 - Eager to see where this goes...
Low #1 - Highly anticipated, after all the great feedback from everyone in this thread.
Squidder #2 - I've yet to start the series but always love Templesmith's unique style.
Grayson #2 - This one really surprised me, hooked me.
Sweets #4 - at least have #1-5 in floppy now. Need moar!
Imperial #1 - this one...well I knew it was a new series coming out, but I opened it and the art bored me to death. So let's hope it is compelling story-wise.

Anyone read the new Batman Beyond 2.0?

Spoilers for current arc:

It goes into detail of the Bruce-Barbara-Richard love triangle. Bruce and Barbara broke it off, and Dick comes back after the whole Tim was jokerfied thing. Dick and Barbara hits it off and she finds out she's pregnant with Bruce's kid. Daaaamn.

Yeah. I also know that Shin follows it too. Praises about how wonderful Batman Beyond and Justice League Beyond have been can't be sung loud enough. If you enjoyed the DCAU at all, you really should be reading it, because it continues the spirit of the show perfectly.

Dick
beating the shit out of Bruce
. So good.

Zombine

Banned
Haven't read it, but I did read a write-up that complained about a lack of diversity, as everyone in the comic, everyone is white.

Where do you get stuck?

Well, I don't really get it. Do I just use paypal? Does paypal convert the money to $? It's just strange to me.

Well, I don't really get it. Do I just use paypal? Does paypal convert the money to $? It's just strange to me.

Paypal or Credit Card will automatically convert the money to JPY. Paypal lets you select the form of payment when you send money. You'll receive an email when the order is ready for payment. This occurs either later that day (around 8-10PM EST) if the item is in stock, or whenever the item arrives in stock if it's a pre-order. From there, you'll log into your AmiAmi account and finalize payment and shipping options. If you want to edit those options beforehand, there's an option to do that on your main account page.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
ami ami good for figures for a cheaper price? Might use em, will shipping to the UK be expensive?

Hnng. Looking at the preview on cbr, I really want to get into the goon one of these days, just buy it all. One of the last few things I've read nothing of, there's tons of and that I really want to read.

The one downside to digital comic reading for me is I'm so easily distracted. Having ADD doesn't help but when I can quickly hop onto the internet with the first random thought in my head slows down progress. It's hard to shut everything else out

Now that my deluxe volumes are here (which are gorgeous btw), I have started reading Fables again. I had forgotten how enjoyable the first few volumes were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom