• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Statue gaf be like

mayweather-money.gif

That's ok because I be like

149740.gif

Sanjuro

I saw a bunch of the figures the other day. I really don't collect, but for some reason I have Long Halloween Batman and Joker figures. Not sure if anyone would be interested?

Sanjuro

Why do people hate Mark Millar and Frank Miller so much to the point they combine them both?

Mark Millar is that guy that did Kick-Ass and wrote a good Superman story without anything else being notable to his name.

Frank Miller is the crazy guy that did Sin City and some of the best Batman stories.

Why do people hate Mark Millar and Frank Miller so much to the point they combine them both?

Mark Millar is that guy that did Kick-Ass and wrote a good Superman story without anything else being notable to his name.

Frank Miller is the crazy guy that did Sin City and some of the best Batman stories.

Classic Frank Miller is great. The Frank Miller that wrote Holy Terror.... not so much.

And the problem with Mark Millar is that he relies on shock-value to carry his stories instead of memorable writing.

frye

Not really. Even now Millar has two major modes of writing. Sure, there's the shock stuff like Nemesis, but there's also his twee Pixar-esque stuff like Superior and Starlight.

Messi

500x1000px-LL-f21ccd42_jz8ndk.jpeg

nemesis-issue-3-of-4.jpg

Not really. Even now Millar has two major modes of writing. Sure, there's the shock stuff like Nemesis, but there's also his twee Pixar-esque stuff like Superior and Starlight.

And how is the writing quality on those? I've never read either, so I can only judge him on the works of his that I have read.

Sanjuro

I don't even know what that is. Like I said, Millar hasn't done anything exactly wildly relevant. Red Son was my favorite piece he has done, just because the concept is brilliant.

frye

And how is the writing quality on those? I've never read either, so I can only judge him on the works of his that I have read.

Superior comes from the same place as that the Johns/Frank run on Captain Marvel. I like it okay. Starlight is Goran Parlov being the best but it's a bore.

I appreciate Millar on some level because 1) hey, he's doing his own thing and pretty successful at it and 2) he works with good artists and those good artists get paid

I appreciate Millar on some level because 1) hey, he's doing his own thing and pretty successful at it and 2) he works with good artists and those good artists get paid

I guess he must be doing something right, since every idea he shits out gets optioned for a movie. :\

Zombine

Banned
My spending habits always make me push harder for the next big opportunity. I chase titles just for extra money for comic things. I'll be a millionaire just so I can buy hot toys.

What do you guys do with old comics that you don't really wanna keep and don't know what to do with? I've gone through a lot of my old stuff and I don't have much affinity for the stuff to keep it. Do I sell it? Give it away? Get store credit from the LCS?

What do you guys do with old comics that you don't really wanna keep and don't know what to do with? I've gone through a lot of my old stuff and I don't have much affinity for the stuff to keep it. Do I sell it? Give it away? Get store credit from the LCS?

Unfortunately, there isn't much value outside of selling certain series / runs as a lot. Outside of that, I usually just donate the stuff I can't make a profit on with little effort.

Zombine

Banned

Store credit is the way to go. That way you can buy a Hot Tot Catwoman and have it break on you when you get home. Then you can trade it in for better stuff.

Cheska

If I have a run worth $50 or more, I'll sell it on eBay. If it's less, I give it away to friends/family. I've recently removed some more stuff from my boxes that I'm looking to give away, but I really want to find an orphanage or children center to donate to, and haven't really come across one near my town.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh yeah, so I remembered yesterday that it was already the weekend and I hadn't even started thinking about the third Rafa webcomic. So basically there isn't going to be one this weekend. Probably next weekend.
I'm just trying to be more like Aja.

My spending habits always make me push harder for the next big opportunity. I chase titles just for extra money for comic things. I'll be a millionaire just so I can buy hot toys.

Not gonna lie, this is one of the main things encouraging me to look harder for a half-decent full-time job. Haha

Nobody claimed my GOTG code from like 10 pages back. I don't even know if I have it anymore.

The Messi Method™

I totally responded saying I'd take it. :'(
I was really looking forward to seeing the mediocrity in action.

Oh yeah, so I remembered yesterday that it was already the weekend and I hadn't even started thinking about the third Rafa webcomic. So basically there isn't going to be one this weekend. Probably next weekend.
I'm just trying to be more like Aja.
good artists don't care about deadlines

you're on the right path Kipp.

Owzers

Timely, i just made a small stack of comics i don't really know what to do with or if i should hang on to them. Son of M six issue mini, a 3 issue arc of Punisher War Journal i liked.....small stuff. Maybe library donation? Maybe sell a large set on ebay....

I throw them in long boxes in the garage in an unorganized mess until there's 14+ long boxes that store hundreds of comics that need to be dealt with in some manner. So yea..don't follow my lead

I'm really thinking about that deluxe edition of The Star Wars that comes out this week. A lot is going to depend on IST's price, though. I don't think I'd pay more than $60 or so for it.

Caode

I usually throw them on eBay.. in fact I've just listed pretty much all of the current Batman run on there, can't afford my subscription anymore so I'm just going to sell off what I have. There's no comic shops or retailers anywhere near me - about a 2 hour drive to the closest, which is a bastard since I have to just go for an online sub and get them delivered so it up's the cost hence me not being able to afford a comic every month now. Not expecting many takers this time though for 32 issues.

JEKKI

finished read a couple thangs this weekend:

Warren Ellis / Mike Deodato run of Thunderbolts.

ugh... first of all, it's very good. but second, it's such a tease... I cant believe they only did those 12 issues... and comixology doesnt even have the next issues or the prior issues available!! how am I supposed to know what happened before / next?!?! Is the story before / after he wrote it even worth it?? I'll never know... I wish there was more...

Quantum & Woody - Christopher Priest & MD Bright run.

so good, but also, abrupt / cliffhanged ending... wtheck?!?!?! I'm really lookin forward to the new series he's gonna put out with Valiant that supposedly continues the story,

but my grievance with comixology again... why isnt his Black Panther stuff available?!?!

ugh... now what am I gonna read?? :(

I'm a bit more than halfway through the first hardcover of Seven Soldiers. I'm really enjoying it, but Morrison stuff seems to read pretty slowly. Not a bad thing, I just thought I'd be done with the series quicker.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fuck yea Moore's Swamp Thing is damn good... May have to check that out. Speaking of Moore, what's he up to lately? Does he have anything on the horizon?

Nemo: River of Ghosts, probably coming around March 2015

Providence, a 12-issue followup to Neonomincon coming from Avatar next year.

REALLY MARVEL?

So you went through with making that stupid angel Thor's sister

AND

you brought those
fucking wack-ass Avengers Next characters into the MU? god what shit show.

Bii

I'm really thinking about that deluxe edition of The Star Wars that comes out this week. A lot is going to depend on IST's price, though. I don't think I'd pay more than $60 or so for it.

Can I get more info regarding this new Star Wars HC? Or just a link to read what it's about. I assume this is going to be one of the last Dark Horse Star Wars releases?

-

Ms. Marvel #6

Although there was a fill-in artist for this issue (and the next), Ms. Marvel is still hitting all the right spots for me. The writing is very clever and charming. Kamala's being hunted by drones sent by the Inventor and she makes her way down the sewers only to bump into Wolverine! Wolverine's a bit more docile here.
I guess the lack of a healing factor contributed to him being more receptive for assistance
. Jake Wyatt does a great job pencilling in for Alphona, so I didn't mind the change as I opened up the comic. Again, one of the better $2.99 ongoing comics out right now.

-

Superman #32

I'm not a big fan of Superman. Not sure if it's just his stoic nature or what but Johns has piqued my interest with him taking over. Now, I am a fan of things getting punched so there was a lot of that going on. The introduction of another "Man of Tomorrow" sounds boring given how lame his design looks. I'm in for the next issue or two; if it doesn't ramp up, I'm dropping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom