• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the funny thing to me. His Superman Adventures run is so good. Clever, exciting, accessible, morally upstanding; the prototypical ongoing for the Man of Steel. My favorite issue was actually the one where Bruce Wayne got kidnapped by the Mad Hatter and was gonna shoot him on Live TV unless Batman showed up, revealed his secret identity, and gave him his cowl(hat collector, don't you know). Course WE know Bruce is Batman, but dramatic irony and all that. So Superman has to fit-in with Gotham scare tactics, which he's no good at.

jmdH0rWUgcyRB.jpg

jCp7c7STXnqA7.jpg

But eventually Supes does say the day, in a totally Superman kind of way once they track the escaped Hatter to the sewers

jOr1LVTY8LWXv.jpg

jbl1LnOPIMN5Xp.jpg

Superman, who loves everybody even the psychologically troubled, understands and appeals to their wants and needs in a non-violent humanistic manner. What a smart and compassionate way to resolve this situation! No edgy fisticuffs or dark angst here, just a really well done superhero book by a writer who clearly understands the traditions of how these things work.

He doesn't have to try so hard if he doesn't want to.

Well said

Tizoc

What Mark Millar book are you guys talking about?

JC Viewtiful kudos for those pages, is that series collected in TPB format by any chance?

frye

It's Frank Millar. The guys an overrated loser anyway. He's like the Ubisoft of comic book writers.

frank millar, legendary writer of the dark kick-ass returns

What Mark Millar book are you guys talking about?

JC Viewtiful kudos for those pages, is that series collected in TPB format by any chance?

They're talking about the Utimate Comics: Avengers pages that were posted.

Superman Adventures is long out of print iirc, like most of Millar's DC work. Might be some bad blood involved there too, i dunno.

Fintan

I quite like some of Millar's work. A lot of his Ultimate Universe stuff is good, but I haven't read Ultimate Comics: Avengers yet. Has he done anything worthwhile in the past few years? It's been mostly creator owned work, right?

frank millar, legendary writer of the dark kick-ass returns

They're talking about the Utimate Comics: Avengers pages that were posted.

Superman Adventures is long out of print iirc, like most of Millar's DC work. Might be some bad blood involved there too, i dunno.
They're on comixology and surprisingly for 99 cents per issue

Edit: wow batman TAS series comics are 99 cents now too. These were $2 per earlier. Off to buy!

Its Sunday again and that meSUPRISE MILLAR MOMENT
so edgy
much evil
wow

the original script called for Red Skull to fuck the baby, but that was a bit too graphic for Marvel

That's it. From now on, Mark Millar is only allowed to write Crossed comics for the rest of his life. That way, most of us won't have to read anything from him ever again.

Fuck that guy.

They're on comixology and surprisingly for 99 cents per issue

Edit: wow batman TAS series comics are 99 cents now too. These were $2 per earlier. Off to buy!

Yes, the quality is quite good, too. All hail the digital future!

I specifically only bought the Millar issues however, the rest I have no strong opinion on.

Anth1888

Just catching up with the Bat-family comics in the New 52 and hit my first Batman crossover - Night of the Owls. I have also been reading Batman & Robin and Detective Comics along with a the first issue of Nightwing. This is the first crossover I've read so I'm not sure if will miss anything if I continue to read my Batman arc and subsequently read the whole volume of each book rather than reading the different monthlies in the order of the event.

Owzers

Luna Brothers sale on comixology.....how is Star Bright and the Looking Glass and Girls? I've heard mixed things on Girls.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just catching up with the Bat-family comics in the New 52 and hit my first Batman crossover - Night of the Owls. I have also been reading Batman & Robin and Detective Comics along with a the first issue of Nightwing. This is the first crossover I've read so I'm not sure if will miss anything if I continue to read my Batman arc and subsequently read the whole volume of each book rather than reading the different monthlies in the order of the event.

The cross-overs are just side stories, you don't need to read them.

Is that a sale or permanent? Wanna buy some
I have no idea. I just started fishing and saw they're all 99 cents. I've seen this happen before on young justice classic (great series) a year ago or so. The first 25 issues just silently went to 99 cent. I just checked and they still are.

Everyone should be buying peter David's young justice btw. Such a fun series with great art. And the first good chunk is 99 cents each. This didnt really get traded like it should. Like only 2 total. A real shame

Tizoc

Yes, the quality is quite good, too. All hail the digital future!

I specifically only bought the Millar issues however, the rest I have no strong opinion on.

What issues did Mark Millar write?

Speaking of which, he also wrote some stories for the UK Sonic comics.

Maledict

So I recently bought Planetary, from a friends recommendation. As someone who doesn't really read comics, I was quite impressed by the number of cameos from other comics I picked up on (Death and Dream at the funeral of the cake Constantine was my favourite).

However, am I slightly mad or was the very final part of the story a complete let-down?

After hearing about the reed richard equivalents superpower, and how amazing and evil it is, we don't see it in action once. Then he and the Sue Storm equivalent are killed just by a big fall, which seems completely out of place compared to how powerful they were built up to be and how tough the Johnny Storm equivalent was.

So I recently bought Planetary, from a friends recommendation. As someone who doesn't really read comics, I was quite impressed by the number of cameos from other comics I picked up on (Death and Dream at the funeral of the cake Constantine was my favourite).

However, am I slightly mad or was the very final part of the story a complete let-down?

After hearing about the reed richard equivalents superpower, and how amazing and evil it is, we don't see it in action once. Then he and the Sue Storm equivalent are killed just by a big fall, which seems completely out of place compared to how powerful they were built up to be and how tough the Johnny Storm equivalent was.

I only recently read Planetary after getting the omnibus for a steal. From what I can tell, this series dragged on and the final couple issues took fooorrreeevvverr to come out. I kind of thought that part of the ending was a let down too. Although I guess it fits with
Snow's process of thinking through everything

If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend reading through the issue by issue analysis. which I really enjoyed.

Just picked up TMNT 1-29 on Comixology. What an awesome series.
It really is. I got all of the micro series and The Secret of the Foot Clan yesterday and I'm eager to read them. I picked up volumes 6 and 7 today at the shop so I can read through City Fall finally.

Kevin Eastman used to live down here apparently. One of the guys at the comic shop told me he used to come in pretty often and they have a Turtles painting by him that apparently took him four days to complete.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It starts off embarrassingly bad IMO, but starts finding it's stride somewhere in the middle.

Yea its a bit rough to start. Its odd, it feels like its starting in the middle of a story or something. An odd go, but it starts to find its groove

Picked up Guardians #17 on Friday - what the hell was with that art change half-way through the book? *barf*, hope that's not a regular thing as I loooove the art in these books.

Rocket Raccoon #1 and #2 are gems. Hope this quality continues as it's looking like a regular on my pull list now. So good. The escape montage in #2 was amazing.

Picked up Guardians #17 on Friday - what the hell was with that art change half-way through the book? *barf*, hope that's not a regular thing as I loooove the art in these books.

My concern is the plot. If they don't get things in gear soon, I'll have to drop it. And I'd really rather not. :(

My concern is the plot. If they don't get things in gear soon, I'll have to drop it. And I'd really rather not. :(

That's the main reason why I dropped it. After 7 or 8 issues it felt like nothing really happened and I couldn't bring myself to read it anymore. I picked up 14 for the backup stories and it didn't feel like much changed with the main story :/

You shouldn't keep buying a book you aren't enjoying. Funding bad books make you a bad person.

At least I didn't buy Catwoman.

Nah, it hasn't been bad for very long. It's just the pacing of the last couple issues has been ridiculous. One issue skipped around to each character on the team (all oh whom were alone at the time) getting abducted, and then the following issue was more or less the same except everyone got rescued. God dammit, Bendis.

Messi

At least I didn't buy Catwoman.

Nah, it hasn't been bad for very long. It's just the pacing of the last couple issues has been ridiculous. One issue skipped around to each character on the team (all oh whom were alone at the time) getting abducted, and then the following issue was more or less the same except everyone got rescued. God dammit, Bendis.

mbrittany_nocenti_panel_1.jpg

That's the joke

Just started totaling up the damage from this last week from the IST purchases, statues and Comixology sales. oh....my! i've got a lot of OT at work in my future to break even. But no regrets, I'm mapping out my plan and i'll get there!

Zombine

Banned
Just started totaling up the damage from this last week from the IST purchases, statues and Comixology sales. oh....my! i've got a lot of OT at work in my future to break even. But no regrets, I'm mapping out my plan and i'll get there!

Got any organs you can sell? If you're potent you can always sell your children for money.

Messi

Got any organs you can sell? If you're potent you can always sell your children for money.

What about Kidneys? You don't need both and those Hot Toys look mighty good.

Statue gaf be like

mayweather-money.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom