• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

I legit liked Annihilation, Final Crisis, and Sinestro Corps War.

i liked parts of Blackest Night, Infnite Crisis, and Infinity.

Apart from that, events are awffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffful places where ideas go to die in order to serve their editorial/exec masters.

fertygo

Rick Remender fueled event.

Because Deadpool is a brand. Brands sell.

It will start off strong, meander, and end up being a waste of time. No.

You describing Remender's run wrong.. its will start random and rather awful, pick up at somewhere and shock value dropping at nonsense rate.

Events are usually ill-fated from the get-go, trying to juggle too many characters with too few ideas, and whatever ideas you have are shipped off into other ancillary books. "Would you like to see the interesting drama that comes out of this development? Go read some other book! We'll just keep teasing things and hitting the most banal story beats possible". I do admit a liking of Final Crisis, an event that built an incredible amount of tension, skipped the 2nd act invasion entirely, then played the heroic revolution in fast-forward, a messy tornado of momentum and Silver-Age eccentric. Hawkman/girl flying through the super-spy organization core for a heroic sacrifice didnt even make the top 5 craziest things to happen in the last issue. Its the only sane response to an universe spanning story. Otherwise, its best to stick to your own little universe, like Spider-Island or Sinestro Corps War.

At the very least, AXIS's three act structure promises having enough ideas to sustain a 12-issue length mega-narrative, and Remender has proved adept at building giant stories out of smaller peaks and valleys. If he can't make the fabled Good Marvel-wide event, its a myth.

I don't read them anymore. 80s nostalgia aside there is strong argument that they have never been good.
Not true. They don't happen often but they can be good

Some of My favorite Events:
-Batman knightfall/quest/end
-Batman no mans land
-Xmen age of apocalypse
-GL sinestro corps
-I really enjoyed the countdown minis (birth of secret six!) and event for infinite crisis. It's got some problems but I dug it.
-Does seven heroes of victory or 52 count?
-Annihilation/conquest/war of the kings/thanos imperative

Ones I got the trades for and need to read are DC invasion! And DC one million.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
This IST moving sale with Dark Horse books being 45%+ off could not have come at a worse time. I reeeally don't want to spend any more money... But Hellboy Library Editions the cheapest they'll ever be... And Robocop vs Terminator 50% off... I'd probably get Hellboy: The First 20 Years too, because who can say no to a book full of gorgeous Mignola art.

Or I could stay strong and not spend money and read the tons of stuff I already have.

Also, started Hellboy: Wake the Devil. Nothing to say other than Hellboy continues to be the greatest thing of all time.

Zombine

Banned
This IST moving sale with Dark Horse books being 45%+ off could not have come at a worse time. I reeeally don't want to spend any more money... But Hellboy Library Editions the cheapest they'll ever be... And Robocop vs Terminator 50% off... I'd probably get Hellboy: The First 20 Years too, because who can say no to a book full of gorgeous Mignola art.

Or I could stay strong and not spend money and read the tons of stuff I already have.

Also, started Hellboy: Wake the Devil. Nothing to say other than Hellboy continues to be the greatest thing of all time.

Buy them all. That's what I plan on doing lol

Edit: I'm actually having a dilemma, because I want more Library Edition Hellboy, but Berserk is super cheap during this sale.

That's exactly my thought after my statue buying haze. But those library editions are sooo good

Edit: also Messi and others. Check out Amelia Cole and Bandette on comixology. Female leads, great art, snappy fun stories and full comics for 99 cents on day one releases! I think they'd be right up your alley. They also have Amelia Cole in trades by IDW

Messi

That's exactly my thought after my statue buying haze. But those library editions are sooo good

Edit: also Messi and others. Check out Amelia Cole and Bandette on comixology. Female leads, great art, snappy fun stories and full comics for 99 cents on day one releases! I think they'd be right up your alley. They also have Amelia Cole in trades by IDW

I shall look into them. I am running low on female led books.

--

What's this new series Genius about? It's from top cow and I dig the art.

Tomorrow marks the release of Genius #1, the first in a five-part comic-book miniseries about a young woman from South Central L.A. who unites the city’s gangs and attempts to secede from the U.S. As one of our resident comics lovers said, it’s “fast-moving, smart, and appropriately cynical”; it’s also the rare instance of a black heroine, co-written and drawn by black creators, in a mainstream comic book.

Genius_8.jpg

Kipp

You guys are horrible influences. Haha
I think my frugality is going to win this round though. I do wish I had the strength to just bite the bullet and buy all the Hellboy stuff in one go like Rafa did.

kswiston

I think it is looking pretty obvious that most of Remender's Uncanny Avengers run will self-retcon via time travel and reality distortion by the end, saving one or two "nothing will ever be the same!" moments.

I shall look into them. I am running low on female led books.

--

What's this new series Genius about? It's from top cow and I dig the art.

Hm, I bought that based on praise from David "Based" Brothers, but i haven't read it yet. i'll probably get around to it tonight, I forgot it's weekly.

Zombine

Banned
You guys are horrible influences. Haha
I think my frugality is going to win this round though. I do wish I had the strength to just bite the bullet and buy all the Hellboy stuff in one go like Rafa did.

The only thing is that If I buy all the hellboy titles, I'll feel a sense of finality with them like the Fables HC books. I want to continue Berserk, but I am about 25 years in over my head.

Edit:
$165 gets you every single Library edition. When is this sale over?

The only thing is that If I buy all the hellboy titles, I'll feel a sense of finality with them like the Fables HC books. I want to continue Berserk, but I am about 25 years in over my head.

Edit:
Yea. I just realized I don't have my Locke &Key HCs and those are in the sale. I have the comics digital but I'm compelled to finish out the HCs. Decisions decisions

Kipp

Edit:

Ah geez... When you say it like that, it actually doesn't seem as expensive... Something about big numbers having less tangible meaning. Haha
But then you gotta get the three BPRD omnibuses too, so it'll add up to a little over $200. Oh, and that First 20 Years of Hellboy hardcover. Gotta have that.

Yea. I just realized I don't have my Locke &Key HCs and those are in the sale. I have the comics digital but I'm compelled to finish out the HCs. Decisions decisions

Goodness. I keep forgetting about Locke & Key. I still need to read that too.
Even with the sale, they're still only 38% off and still pretty expensive though. Ehhh.
I saw a few of the volumes at my library a while back. I'll probably just try to get them from there.

Messi

Hm, I bought that based on praise from David "Based" Brothers, but i haven't read it yet. i'll probably get around to it tonight, I forgot it's weekly.

Let me know how it is. I'd love to hear your opinions on it.

Kipp you will want to own the Locke and Key hardcovers. They are just perfect and the story is gripping.

Zombine

Banned
I already picked up Blacksad 1&2, Fear Agent 1&2, and something else (don't remember.) It won't hurt to add some Berserk, all Hellboy Library editions, Locke & Key, and Wraith.

Edit: looks like there is no HC Locke & Key vol 1.

Edit: I'm actually having a dilemma, because I want more Library Edition Hellboy, but Berserk is super cheap during this sale.

I so want to grab the rest (already have Vol. 1) but I just can't afford to spend $137 at this time. Maybe I'll pick up Vol. 2 at least...

Ah geez... When you say it like that, it actually doesn't seem as expensive... Something about big numbers having less tangible meaning. Haha
But then you gotta get the three BPRD omnibuses too, so it'll add up to a little over $200. Oh, and that First 20 Years of Hellboy hardcover. Gotta have that.

Goodness. I keep forgetting about Locke & Key. I still need to read that too.
Even with the sale, they're still only 38% off and still pretty expensive though. Ehhh.
I saw a few of the volumes at my library a while back. I'll probably just try to get them from there.
Ooh look what I found. Not HCs but looks potentially cool
http://www.amazon.com/Locke-Key-Slipcase-Set-Hill/dp/1631401394/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1407807343&sr=1-4&keywords=locke+and+key

Looking at IST is dangerous. If I add in Hellboy and the 3/4 BPRD plus other stuff I want I'm near 300 which is enough that I can self justify buying nothing atm.

Welp. I did it and placed the order. 2 ultimate TMNT collections of the classic run, AvP omnibus 2, hellboy library editions 2-6, & 2 empowered volumes

Oh lord I can't stop!

Zombine

Banned
Welp. I did it and placed the order. 2 ultimate TMNT collections of the classic run, AvP omnibus 2, hellboy library editions 2-6, & 2 empowered volumes

Oh lord I can't stop!

Oh fuck empowered is a Dark Horse title? I have never read any of this.

Looking at IST is dangerous. If I add in Hellboy and the 3/4 BPRD plus other stuff I want I'm near 300 which is enough that I can self justify buying nothing atm.

Yea seriously, I just blew past $200 just for Hellboy and Fear Agent alone. The prices are a few bucks cheaper for the most part (compared to Amazon) but I just can't bring myself to spend it all at once. Wife would slaughter me where I stand. I'm okay with missing out on a few bucks. Plus I'm actually going to get a Library card in the next few days. I checked my library and they have a ton of shit (hint: Alan Moore's Swamp Thing , want to re-read). Think I may start taking stuff out that I don't necessarily need to keep but want to read.

If Marvel is going to reboot, it won't be with Axis. The Avengers/New Avengers countdown extends past it.

I know, that is what I was referring too.

So Remender wouldn't really have to recon himself if a "Marvel Term™" "Retroactive Reboot" will happen with Hickman's "Time Runs Out" Event.

Unless Remender does it by making Scarlet Witch way something stupid...

No More
Hobo Piss

Boogiepop

God, you guys are killing me with this IST sale. I want to grab Hellboy, I really do. And I was considering picking it up after digging around at a con to see if I could find it for a good price in about a month. But I just blew a goddamn massive load of cash at Otakon/on manga after Otakon. Just so, so much manga. To be further irresponsible and blow the about $300 I'd need to grab the Hellboy Library Editions, BPRD Omnibuses, and the Lobster Johnson+Abe Sapien trades feels wrong.

Bleh, tempt me into it or talk me down, guys!

Kipp

Oh goodness. I think I might have been the one to start this massive IST spending spree. I apologize to all of your wallets.

Kipp you will want to own the Locke and Key hardcovers. They are just perfect and the story is gripping.

But... but $15 each... That's $90 for the whole story... And it's not even 1000 pages total. D:

Ah, neat! Unfortunately, the set doesn't seem a whole lot cheaper than the individual paperbacks would be. Maybe there'll be a nice sale on it though.

I already picked up Blacksad 1&2, Fear Agent 1&2, and something else (don't remember.) It won't hurt to add some Berserk, all Hellboy Library editions, Locke & Key, and Wraith.

Edit: looks like there is no HC Locke & Key vol 1.

Good man with that Fear Agent and Hellboy. Those Fear Agent hardcovers are the most incredible value ever. Such great hardcovers and so cheap.

But goodness, I wish I was able to spend exorbitant amounts of money on comics like you. Once I get a good paying full-time job... Haha
Nah, who am I kidding. Even when I do get a steady flow of cash, I'll probably still be too frugal to actually spend it.

Yea seriously, I just blew past $200 just for Hellboy and Fear Agent alone. The prices are a few bucks cheaper for the most part (compared to Amazon) but I just can't bring myself to spend it all at once. Wife would slaughter me where I stand. I'm okay with missing out on a few bucks. Plus I'm actually going to get a Library card in the next few days. I checked my library and they have a ton of shit (hint: Alan Moore's Swamp Thing , want to re-read). Think I may start taking stuff out that I don't necessarily need to keep but want to read.

This is kinda how I feel. I'd almost rather spend more money overall but spend it slower. I can't bring myself to spend massive amounts at once even though I'll buy the stuff eventually and it's cheapest now.

Thank you :D

Happy birthday Tyrant Rave!
Since you're the most enthusiastic fan of my art, for your birthday I will draw you something right now. Now what do you want me to draw?

MG310

Remender loves burning people.

Cap got half his face burned off,then Rogue was incinerated, then Thor got his arm all burned up, then he had Sunfire lighting Wolverine on fire for years, then Havok got half his face burned off.

I found a silver lining. My brothers birthday is coming up and I didn't know what I'd get him. But now that I'm getting hellboy recollected and finishing up Locke & key. I'll be giving him my older trades of hellboy (first four), the first Grendel trade, and the first 2 Locke & key trade. He's not the biggest comic fan but he's enjoyed non super hero stories like sandman and whatnot. He likes horror so I'm sure he will find something in that lot.

Win win

Zombine

Banned
Good man with that Fear Agent and Hellboy. Those Fear Agent hardcovers are the most incredible value ever. Such great hardcovers and so cheap.

But goodness, I wish I was able to spend exorbitant amounts of money on comics like you. Once I get a good paying full-time job... Haha
Nah, who am I kidding. Even when I do get a steady flow of cash, I'll probably still be too frugal to actually spend it.

I actually have end-game goals when it comes to owning books like these. I'm surprisingly very picky when it comes to books I enjoy, and there will be a point where once I check all the series I want off my list my buying will slow exponentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom