• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I actually have end-game goals when it comes to owning books like these. I'm surprisingly very picky when it comes to books I enjoy, and there will be a point where once I check all the series I want off my list my buying will slow exponentially.

But what about all the new books that are constantly coming out? And what about the books that you hadn't heard about before or were off your radar but then somebody made you realize that it's something you'll enjoy? Buying books will never end. Admit it. You're stuck with this disease forever. :p

But no, I get what you're saying. I suppose I'm in the same boat. It just doesn't seem that way since I'm pretty new to the comics hobby and am still in the very early stages of accumulating all the things I want.

Also, regarding Locke & Key Vol 1 HC: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1600102379/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I will say having MU has curbed most of my marvel trade wish list. Not sure why but it has for things I dont have yet. Btw has anyone read the classic west coast avengers series? Those marvel omnibuses intrigue me but I'm quite ignorant to most 80s comic runs that aren't the well known trades. So WCA is no exception

Zombine

Banned
But what about all the new books that are constantly coming out? And what about the books that you hadn't heard about before or were off your radar but then somebody made you realize that it's something you'll enjoy? Buying books will never end. Admit it. You're stuck with this disease forever. :p

And gaming, and music, and movies, and statues. It's a sickness.

Rick Remender fueled event.

Because Deadpool is a brand. Brands sell.

It will start off strong, meander, and end up being a waste of time. No.

Ah. So probably avoid it, eh?

Do you really need to ask why Marvel are putting Deadpool into somewhere he doesn't belong. They have been whoring him out for years.

Makes sense. Aside from X-Force and his current Posehn/Duggan run, anything that has caught some good reception?

Speaking of, I added a bunch of his stuff to my Marvel Unlimited list. Night of the Living Deadpool, while dumb in concept, is actually handled decently. Kind of fun. Haven't read any of his other minis yet.

Kipp

At least the GF is supportive, although she argues that I only ever watch/read/play my things once.

That's some good luck. That's a good sign that things are going to work out between you two. Haha
And pshaw. Given enough time, I'm sure you'll go back and re-read/re-play some things eventually. I know that I plan on re-reading a bunch of stuff. I just have to read a massive amount of stuff I haven't read before first. Haha

Zombine

Banned
That's some good luck. That's a good sign that things are going to work out between you two. Haha
And pshaw. Given enough time, I'm sure you'll go back and re-read/re-play some things eventually. I know that I plan on re-reading a bunch of stuff. I just have to read a massive amount of stuff I haven't read before first. Haha

I've been with her for 6 years. Lol

By the way, Martha Washington looks great on my shelf.

Ah. So probably avoid it, eh?

I say, try out an issue or two. There is so much we don't know about the series I could just be dead wrong and it's one of the best Marvel events ever. I'm just pretty jaded with events. Worst case scenario, you'll know what we are talking about. Best case scenario, you found a new favorite book.

Kipp

Thank you :)

And Kipp, that's a tough one... Maybe Gamora since I got to talk about her today

Oh geez. I know almost nothing about Gamora. I'll definitely give it a shot though.
Unfortunately I'm already heading to bed, but I'll get on that tomorrow.

As a consolation prize, here's a pretty bad and unfinished sketch of Hellboy eating potato chips. http://i1.minus.com/ibf3ONspdT1ecH.png
I was about to draw his Right Hand of Doom throwing the chip in his mouth, but didn't have the time.
...Admittedly, not the best consolation prize. Haha

But no, I get what you're saying. I suppose I'm in the same boat. It just doesn't seem that way since I'm pretty new to the comics hobby and am still in the very early stages of accumulating all the things I want.

Also, regarding Locke & Key Vol 1 HC: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1600102379/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is exactly where I am. Constantly finding new things, waiting for new things...damn the cost!

I actually have end-game goals when it comes to owning books like these. I'm surprisingly very picky when it comes to books I enjoy, and there will be a point where once I check all the series I want off my list my buying will slow exponentially.

I'm with you on that, Hardcovers or bust. (Preferably Deluxe HC's)

My OCD can't accept that. I'll have to go all softcover then.

Honestly I'm not sure I'd want it in HC. It's manga sized editions fit the look and feel of the book. But that's just me

For Empowered? I've read it in both softcover and Deluxe Hardcover. While the latter format has some extras and whatnot in the way of concept art and such, I much prefer reading it in paperback. The hardcover editions are pretty unwieldy, and not even the official COMIC GAF omnibus reading position can help that.

ReAxion

List!

==Image==
Sex Criminals #7
Zero #10

==Marvel==
Avengers Undercover #8
Original Sin #7
Spider-man 2099 #2

==Maybe==
ASM #5.SIN
Inhuman #3

small week!

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm making progress on my mission to catch up on Turtles before I start on my other comic backlog (I think Batman is probably going to be next just because what I have read from Scott Snyder has been fantastic).

Anyway, this new Turtles comic is really awesome. Same goes for the Nick show even. It's a good time to be a Turtles fan!

The movie was so-so but at the very least it was dumb fun and I feel like the comic gives me whatever deep story can come from teenaged mutant ninja turtles stories!

Anyway, pretty much just got to the fourth story arc, and I can't wait to read City Fall. I'm really excited for Turtles in Time too. That's currently in my box waiting to be read by me once I get fully caught up.

MG310

Enjoyed She-Hulk 7...probably my favorite issue of the series so far.

Good one to come off of that last arc that went nowhere outside of that great bit with Shocker.

Owzers

Hm, I might check out Living Hell and Joker's Asylum. I liked the Arkham City mini by Dini and D'Anda, it was one of the first comics i read in single issues

I really liked Living Hell when i read the trade, definitely recommended for people. I don't like Slott's spidey either, so it's not just Slott love.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ooooh! Goosebumps!!

Miles_Morales_Ultimate_Spider_Man_4_2014_Pa.jpg

Wow, shit just gone real?

Low was pretty great. I see Remender has been focusing all his energies on his creator owned work. I have no idea how he is going to do four next year, but maybe his optimism is that strong.

Zombine

Banned
Low was pretty great. I see Remender has been focusing all his energies on his creator owned work. I have no idea how he is going to do four next year, but maybe his optimism is that strong.

It's not an easy read, and it takes a bit of dedication to digest the art and the world that Remender is building. If this book was text only we'd already have people hailing it as one of the best Sci-Fi novels around.

One question about the premise of Low:

Wouldn't any increase in the radiation output of the sun that is enough to render it uninhabitable by humans be accompanied by an increase in the stellar heat output which would boil the oceans away?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I'm getting to the point where I've nearly finished up 'the classics', especially the 80s and 90s stuff. Lotsa good things from 00s too but I feel like I'm over the hump in terms of "the best comics". Eventually you've read em all.

Just read Justice League #32

Mixed feelings.

I have had very little exposure to the Doom Patrol but they seem kind of terrible. They didn't have the same appeal to me that the Metal Men did despite them being obscure to me too.

I don't understand why Element Woman
would turn on the Justice League just because the Chief guy told her too. I mean she has been so positive about the League and even in this issue her enthusiasm seemed as strong as ever.

No, because comics.

Shit I forgot about comics.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Just read Justice League #32

Mixed feelings.

I have had very little exposure to the Doom Patrol but they seem kind of terrible. They didn't have the same appeal to me that the Metal Men did despite them being obscure to me too.

I don't understand why Element Woman
would turn on the Justice League just because the Chief guy told her too. I mean she has been so positive about the League and even in this issue her enthusiasm seemed as strong as ever.

Shit I forgot about comics.

I think Johns is just using JLA to pilot his shitty versions of concepts that have been done better before. His metal men was OK but the DP was just pointless rehashing of better material. DC needs to stop deleting them from continuity anyway, it was only in Infinite Crisis that Johns bought them back.

I think Johns is just using JLA to pilot his shitty versions of concepts that have been done better before. His metal men was OK but the DP was just pointless rehashing of better material. DC needs to stop deleting them from continuity anyway, it was only in Infinite Crisis that Johns bought them back.

I'm not even judging specific quality of the story itself but more the characters in general: to be fair part of this is my fault for not doing research about them. But based on the issue alone it seems that their powers are: Robotman: is a robot. Elastigirl: size changing? Negative Man: gives people cancer?

Kipp

Brilliant. Like James Cameron stuff if he'd ever made a halfway decent movie in his life.

Sweet. I'll probably pick it up then. Any excuse to get more Sean Murphy art, really.

Edit: Did another quick sketch of Hellboy (without reference). Much happier with it than the one I posted last night. Haha
http://i4.minus.com/i0lr3v7cp2vtz.png

Now I'll start drawing that Gamora I promised Tyrant Rave for his birthday. :p

Lol. Ok. T2 was good. Thing too. But the depths of harrowing quality descent between Alien and Aliens is like a million floors of the Nakatomi Building with a police chief at the bottom sighing "Man, I hope that's not a movie I gotta sit through."

Cheap scares, all the subtlety of the original drowned in muscle flex oil. It's confounding how anyone ever liked or still likes that garbage. And it only gets worse from there. Abyss? Titanic? Avatar?

I mean come on. You guys are kidding right.

Also, speaking of Sean Murphy, what's the final opinion on The Wake from everyone? As a whole, worth buying the trade or no?

I liked it a lot.. Murphy is just awesomeness. But yeah it was pretty good.
The first half of the story (#1-5) I thought was a little stronger than the second half. Really cool story and concept along with great art. Buy.

Ouch.

First Messis confession now this. ComicGAF dissapoints when it comes to movies.
Its ComicGAF, not MovieGAF. They know not what they do

I think hating Aliens is almost as bad as Messi, tbh. Mark of shame that can't be erased

Especially compared to a fuckin Scott Snyder comic of all things LMAO

Messi

Its ComicGAF, not MovieGAF. They know not what they do

I think hating Aliens is almost as bad as Messi, tbh. Mark of shame that can't be erased

Especially compared to a fuckin Scott Snyder comic of all things LMAO

I watched Alien and Aliens for the first time a few months ago. Those are great fucking movies. ALIEN > ALIENS tho

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I watched Alien and Aliens for the first time a few months ago. Those are great fucking movies. ALIEN > ALIENS tho

Cant say which of those two is better. They are completly different movies.

I adore Aliens a little bit more, because Cameron did a amazing job with his extensions in the Xenomorph mythologie and the Colonial Marines are so great characters.

Really hard to say which is better. Love booth.

Shoulda shown off that awesome Ben Templesmith art!

Templesmith is amazing. Count me in when DC releases the Trade in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom