• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea

The lower figure in the cover is Kluh, which is what comes out when the Hulk gets really angry. "The blackest, darkest, most evil thing, the thing that was born of the abuse of Bruce Banner as a child -- it's the Hulk's Hulk," said Remender.

I thought the darkest dark thing was supposed to be Devil Hulk, who was gold and looked like a lizard?

1150905-hulk163.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
yea

The lower figure in the cover is Kluh, which is what comes out when the Hulk gets really angry. "The blackest, darkest, most evil thing, the thing that was born of the abuse of Bruce Banner as a child -- it's the Hulk's Hulk," said Remender.

Banner was abused?

ElNarez

Banned
yea

Wait, didn't they have this exact thing in Fear Itself, that then spun into the very first arc of Fraction's Defenders?

And even if technically that run didn't happen because of concordance engine fuckery, isn't there still that Hulk's Hulk thing from FI?

this is the very first thing I thought of and I feel no shame for knowing that.

tim1138

yea

I have no words

Banner was abused?

Yeah, that's the reason he can't control the Hulk. Basically his father abused him as a child and then killed his mother in front of him, which caused him to manifest a multiple personality disorder as a kid. But he was always exceptionally good at repressing it until the gamma bomb exploding happened and the superpowers latched onto the repressed Hulk side, which was essentially a furious four year old who'd just lost their mother. Which is basically why the Hulk is dumb and reacts to stuff by trashing the place, because it's four year old Banner's mind throwing the most epic temper tantrum ever.

Personally, I find it makes the character a lot more interesting, because Banner was always a ticking time bomb, even prior to Hulk abilities. Numerous writers have speculated that if he hadn't gone Hulk, he might have actually done more damage when he finally snapped.

Happy Birthday Tyrant! :D

Very nice! I don't think I've seen your collection before. I don't frequent the Figure thread nearly as often anymore because I don't watch anime and typically don't care for 90% of the figures posted in there.

Freeza, do I see you have Commander Shepard, do you have Liara?

Ugh, I don't have Liara. I almost pre-ordered her on a whim from TFAW, but I wasn't really collecting figures around the time she came out.

Much regret.

Lashley

Yeah, that's the reason he can't control the Hulk. Basically his father abused him as a child and then killed his mother in front of him, which caused him to manifest a multiple personality disorder as a kid. But he was always exceptionally good at repressing it until the gamma bomb exploding happened and the superpowers latched onto the repressed Hulk side, which was essentially a furious four year old who'd just lost their mother. Which is basically why the Hulk is dumb and reacts to stuff by trashing the place, because it's four year old Banner's mind throwing the most epic temper tantrum ever.

Personally, I find it makes the character a lot more interesting, because Banner was always a ticking time bomb, even prior to Hulk abilities. Numerous writers have speculated that if he hadn't gone Hulk, he might have actually done more damage when he finally snapped.
Woah I never knew any of this! Thanks for clearing it up.

Is his latest ongoing worth reading? Where he's essentially retarded?

Sadist

Anyone else reading Miles Morales? My heart can't take this.

I swear if it's a fucking clone...
Prepare your heart son

Don't know about Axis though. I love me some Remender (Agent Venom by him was pretty cool, same goes for Uncanny X-Force) and Uncanny Avengers is my favourite Marvel book right now, but man... I fear Axis won't cut it.

Woah I never knew any of this! Thanks for clearing it up.

Is his latest ongoing worth reading? Where he's essentially retarded?

Oh, they fixed that up in like two issues. It's actually looking to be pretty great right now. I really enjoyed Hulk vs Iron Man, which I think is setting up the next series to be more mad science.

And Indestructible Hulk was pretty fantastic if you haven't read it.

Lashley

Oh, they fixed that up in like two issues. It's actually looking to be pretty great right now. I really enjoyed Hulk vs Iron Man, which I think is setting up the next series to be more mad science.

And Indestructible Hulk was pretty fantastic if you haven't read it.
Gonna have to check it out. Thanks though!

Hagi

Fuck sake Bendis I don't want to read a Miles book stop making it seem so interesting! Its going to be a clone.

Happy birthday.
And a happy wet t-shirt day.

Happy birthday Tyrant! It feels like I should address you by your actual name but Tyrant will do. :)

Happy Birthday Tyrant! :D

Happy birthday Tyrant!
3oYHQc0l.png

thank you everyone!

I got Uncanny X-Force Complete Collection volume 1, Doom Patrol Volume 1, TMNT Volumes 6 and 7, all of the TMNT micro-series and the Secret History of the Foot Clan, and the Boom Humble Bundle from my friends and family. So I've got a lot of reading to do!

And I'm excited for AXIS. It sounds so ridiculous and I love Remender so I'm all in on this.

Kind of off-topic, but I dug out my old comics and checked their values online. None of them are worth a ton, but if I wanted to sell them what's the easiest way to go about it? There's a website that buys comics, and I'm guessing local comic book stores will also buy them?

I suppose I could also keep them for nostalgia's sake.

Thanks.

Peter Parker: The Non-boring, non-Mary Suenom blast having, non-hanging with lame ass Legos dude, cracking jokes ass Ultimate Spider-Man #1 December 2014

Carm

I forgot this thread existed. I have a question about the read order of some books.

I'm probably ordering these sometime today maybe:

Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning: The Complete Collection Volume 1

and

Annihilation Omnibus

I'd be picking up Vol 2 of GotG when it releases.

So to the questions.

Annihilation Omnibus covers the entire first Annihilation correct? I see some say to read it and Conquest before Guardians of the Galaxy: The Complete Collection Vol. 1/2, how important is that read order? Are there references made in the GotG volumes back to Annihilation/Conquest, or can Annihilation be skipped?

Looking around I don't see many options of picking up an all in one option for Conquest, I see Amazon has a Vol. 1/2 for Kindle, that is an option for me but eh, small screen. Is there only two volumes for Conquest and is there somewhere I haven't seen where I could grab them New, in paperback?

But here's some Gotham Academy art:
BuxiilDIUAIpnwW.png

Something feels a bit off about this. Like a screenshot from an old graphic adventure game, with a disconnect between the characters and backdrop. (Maybe that was the author's intention.)

I forgot this thread existed. I have a question about the read order of some books.

and

Annihilation Omnibus

So to the questions.

Annihilation Omnibus covers the entire first Annihilation correct? I see some say to read it and Conquest before Guardians of the Galaxy: The Complete Collection Vol. 1/2, how important is that read order? Are there references made in the GotG volumes back to Annihilation/Conquest, or can Annihilation be skipped?

Looking around I don't see many options of picking up an all in one option for Conquest, I see Amazon has a Vol. 1/2 for Kindle, that is an option for me but eh, small screen. Is there only two volumes for Conquest and is there somewhere I haven't seen where I could grab them New, in paperback?

If you don't want to wait till the Annihilation Conquest omnibus is out, I do recommend that you look up the Annihilation Conquest: Starlord miniseries (The 4 issues should be $20 or so on eBay).

Bii

and

Annihilation Omnibus

So to the questions.

The only thing I read before Abnett's run on GOTG was the 4-part mini-series Annhilation Conquest - Starlord. Abnett's run makes some references to events that have happened in the past but you really don't need to read anything before that. At least, I felt like I didn't miss much of anything while reading GOTG.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
My current DC pulls:

Detective Comics- it looks good, I have no idea whats going on but a man is now on fire I guess.

Batman Eternal - I'm enjoying it, but I can't remember what happened 4 books ago when they finally get back to that thread. "Oh hey, that's right I forgot Spectre is in this thing!"

Everything Superman - Uhhh.... Doomed is awful, Jeff Johns seems good, but we have yet another 'other Superman" story. This is literally the 4th of these this year I think.

Green Lantern - Somehow currently my favorite books (note: I only read GL and GLC at this point). It does appear we are getting yet another 'that last threat was always going to fail, we are the super secret bad guys who are really the nasty ones" but that's fine. Still a fun book.

JL - Oh hey, nothing is happening of any consequence here. I feel like they are running out the clock until Future's End event happens.

Aquaman/Others - Oh hey, this is getting pretty bad all the sudden. Bring back Johns.

Wonder Woman - I like it, I'm glad they are ending it, because it's just kind of meandering for the last 6 months.

Flash - Future Flash has killed someone for like 8 straight issues, starting to really not care.

Future End - I'm pretty sure they are actually selling me repeat issues at this point. I'm pretty sure the same thing doesn't happen in all of them.

Batman - looking forward to whatever Snyder drops on me next.

In short, Dear DC: fix yourself. Not that I will stop buying it, but please STAHP.

fertygo

Does Red Skull ever involved in any good story?

I swear he make everything terrible with just appearing, in every piece that I saw.

Happy birthday Tyrant!
Lol, thank you!
So to the questions.

You really don't have to read Annihilation or Conquest before Guardians. They make for a good backstory, and they are good events, but you don't really have to drop the money.

Annihilation Conquest is out of print at the moment too. So unless you want to drop $300 for the first volume or read it digitally you're kind of out of luck unless you can find a copy at a local store or something.

That was added with Bruce jones right? I hated everything he did (night wing anyone) but thought his hulk was good. And I agree it's such a great wrinkle to the character that adds a lot

Edit/ happy birthday tyrant. Fellow august birthday gaffers unite!

Why is Loki a bad guy again?
Why is Iron Man drinking?
Why it Peter not dead?
ahahahahaha
Why can't I follow Marvel comics when I buy new issues every week?

That was added with Bruce jones right? I hated everything he did (night wing anyone) but thought his hulk was good. And I agree it's such a great wrinkle to the character that adds a lot

I think so? He didn't do much with it, though. He, like, mentioned it in a single panel and seemed to think that was enough.

It was greatly expanded on during Peter David's run which focused a lot on how intrinsically broken Banner was long before becoming the Hulk. Like, Peter David made it pretty clear that even if Banner hadn't had his accident, he was probably still headed for a major mental breakdown.

Carm

If you don't want to wait till the Annihilation Conquest omnibus is out, I do recommend that you look up the Annihilation Conquest: Starlord miniseries (The 4 issues should be $20 or so on eBay).

The only thing I read before Abnett's run on GOTG was the 4-part mini-series Annhilation Conquest - Starlord. Abnett's run makes some references to events that have happened in the past but you really don't need to read anything before that. At least, I felt like I didn't miss much of anything while reading GOTG.

Hrm, how important is it to read that Star-Lord mini series before the GotG Volumes? I'd rather wait and buy that Omnibus for Conquest so would end up reading Annihiliation/GotG before then. Unless I just don't buy any of it till it releases, if they are still available...

Man going down this comics rabbit hole can be dangerous, I haven't purchased a comic in something like 25 years and looking at that Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus is tempting to heh. Shit looks like it can get expensive real quick.

Nevermind I think I'm just gonna grab the two GotG volumes for now. If there is a Conquest Omnibus released later I may grab it and Annihilation Omnibus then, if the first one doesn't go up in price by that time.

Hrm, how important is it to read that Star-Lord mini series before the GotG Volumes? I'd rather wait and buy that Omnibus for Conquest so would end up reading Annihiliation/GotG before then. Unless I just don't buy any of it till it releases, if they are still available...

Man going down this comics rabbit hole can be dangerous, I haven't purchased a comic in something like 25 years and looking at that Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus is tempting to heh. Shit looks like it can get expensive real quick.

I wouldn't say it's terribly important. I still enjoyed the A&L run the first time without reading it.

However, having said that, reading Annihilation: Conquest does provide some valuable framing for why Peter Quill is so hot to form the Guardians of the Galaxy and makes some of the things he does in the Guardians series make more sense under that framework. So while you can still enjoy Guardians without reading it, I think you get more out of the series if you go in having read Conquest.

It's where the team is formed. You can always read that in a digital copy, should be $8 or so.

Bii did a review in last month's thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=123508412&postcount=7245

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Well, thanks to Zombine I just read GotG #1. It was exactly as lifeless and uncontroversially mediocre as everyone said it was. The first few pages in particular were so heavy-handed with the exposition in the not-at-all natural dialogue.
My favorite was when Peter Quill was like "What? Earth is my home planet? Whatever. Who cares about Earth." then on the next page he was like "WHAT, DAD!? I CAN'T GO TO EARTH!? YOU CAN'T STOP ME!"

Something feels a bit off about this. Like a screenshot from an old graphic adventure game, with a disconnect between the characters and backdrop. (Maybe that was the author's intention.)

If anything is off about it, it's that it's too awesome for human eyes. I can't wait for this book.

Batman Eternal - I'm enjoying it, but I can't remember what happened 4 books ago when they finally get back to that thread. "Oh hey, that's right I forgot Spectre is in this thing!"

Since they started this Spectre thing, my interest has plummeted. I was looking forward to every issue until they pulled out the supernatural stuff. That kind of thing belongs in Batwoman (or a Zatanna ongoing, plz DC, plz).

The next creative team will be the most inspired since the 80s. My hype level is through the roof.

Ugh. I'm the complete opposite. I like the current WW series because it's her own story that doesn't tie in with her life in the Justice League or anything else. If that's what you want, then go read Justice League and Superman / Wonder Woman. The story has definitely been dragging for the last arc or two, but I still like that they're running with the Greek mythology aspect all the way. When Finch takes over, I'm out.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
looking at that ad it seems they want to bring 616 sabretooth more in line with AoA sabretooth (and considering Wolverine won't be around long to stab a more peaceful sabretooth repeatedly) I like it. Sabretooth has been stuck on Worf duty more or less for over a decade. It would be cool to see a AoA-lite Sabretooth trying to find redemption like wolverine use to

also I've seen buddist Deadpool before. I want to say in deadpool's mind in the beginning of the character's current book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom