• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
That looks quite nice. Is the comic any good?

I liked the plot from what I read out of a few issues, so I'm planning to get the TPB. FWIW it features the spectacular art by Mike Mayhew so you can't go wrong on that aspect.

phoenixyz

Also, speaking of Sean Murphy, what's the final opinion on The Wake from everyone? As a whole, worth buying the trade or no?

The only bad thing I can say about The Wake is that it feels rushed. Maybe a few more issues with a little bit more world building would have made it better.

Well, I traded in all my old comics and got $75 in store credit.

I traded in:

Rick Remender's run on Venom plus a bunch of Cullen Bunn's stuff after
Fraction's run on Punisher
Snyder's The Wake
Punisher Noir + Variants
Space Punisher
Punisher: The Return of Ma Gnucci
Foolkiller MAX White Angels
Punisher VS The Marvel Universe
Winter Soldier: The Bitter March (minus issue 3, which I never received)
FBP 1-11 (or 9?)

And GODDAMMIT, I FORGOT TO ASK FOR SECRET AVENGERS 3 AND 5.

Sigh.

In any case, now what to do about this 75 store credit. They had this on sale for $110:

MGSGZ_bg04.jpg

Dare I purchase it...?

Or what else should I buy with my $75?

All the Hellboy talk got me interested. Ordered the TPBs that make up the first two Library editions from my library.

Absolute Planetary 1 is going for $95 for a copy in decent condition. Should I? It does seems like a volume that might be reprinted.

Good thing my no buying comics in August prevents me from owning all of Ultimate FF. what a waste. Could've been the Marvel U's answer to FBP.

I don't like how Valiant as a company is moving towards releasing a bunch of minis.

With the near confirmation of an Inhumans movie, how long until Bendis starts writing their book?

Why? A story arc is just a mini with different numbering. Meanwhile, Valiant has the tightest and most forward propelling continuity of any company publishing comics.

Mini away, Valiant!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Well, I traded in all my old comics and got in store credit.

I traded in:

Snyder's The Wake
Punisher Noir + Variants
Space Punisher
FBP 1-11 (or 9?)

Sigh.

In any case, now what to do about this 75 store credit. They had this on sale for :

Dare I purchase it...?

Or what else should I buy with my ?

Sure that MGS statue is cheaper on amiami

I thought this wasn't out yet? Very tempting, I thought I had a few months to fight the urge to pick it up. Especially at that price...DAMMIT

HOLY SHIT

MATT WAGNER WRITING AND DRAWING A GRENDEL/ SHAWDOW CROSSOVER!!!!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=23047

This is definitely for me, shit. I LOVE The Shadow. Glad to see there's a few others interested in the character.

tim1138

Well, I traded in all my old comics and got $75 in store credit.

I traded in:

Snyder's The Wake
Punisher Noir + Variants
Space Punisher
FBP 1-11 (or 9?)

Sigh.

In any case, now what to do about this 75 store credit. They had this on sale for $110:

Dare I purchase it...?

Or what else should I buy with my $75?

Absolute All-Star Superman

I thought this wasn't out yet? Very tempting, I thought I had a few months to fight the urge to pick it up. Especially at that price...DAMMIT

It comes out tomorrow. What IST generally does is update their website late Tuesday afternoon (around 4:30-5:00pm EST) with the new stuff they just got in.

However many it may be. I may be taking one for the team.

I own all 37 volumes. But I started buying them around the time volume 13 came out, so I never took the financial hit on the series that you're about to. :D

Totally worth it, though. The art alone is fantastic, and there's barely any blank space left on the pages. The only thing that took a bit of getting used to coming over from the anime is that in the manga, everyone's faces are a bit w i d e r.

Zombine

Banned
It comes out tomorrow. What IST generally does is update their website late Tuesday afternoon (around 4:30-5:00pm EST) with the new stuff they just got in.

I own all 37 volumes. But I started buying them around the time volume 13 came out, so I never took the financial hit on the series that you're about to. :D

Totally worth it, though. The art alone is fantastic, and there's barely any blank space left on the pages. The only thing that took a bit of getting used to coming over from the anime is that in the manga, everyone's faces are a bit w i d e r.

I have a problem with Berserk. You know what it is?

I buy them volumes 1 at a time, and it takes me maybe 20-30minutes to read it and I instantly want more. If I do get the rest, I will no doubt finish them in a day.

I buy them volumes 1 at a time, and it takes me maybe 20-30minutes to read it and I instantly want more. If I do get the rest, I will no doubt finish them in a day.

At 20-30 minutes, you're not taking the time to soak in the art, man. And some of the stuff in later volumes.... Man, Ive seen some shit.

Unai

Are these Batman's issues on sale on comixology related to this trade paperbacks or is it a completely diffrent story?

AUG050185.jpg

JUN120243.jpg

Messi

...thanks. I just noticed my whole calendar is wrong. I have a lot of things to fix now.

• Batman #34
  • Batman Eternal #19
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #37
  • Sex Criminals #7
  • Zero #10
  • All-New X-Men #30
  • Avengers Undercover #8
  • Captain America #23
  • Deadpool #33
  • Original Sin #7

Yeah, it's still wrong. Harley Quinn is missing.

Zombine

Banned
At 20-30 minutes, you're not taking the time to soak in the art, man. And some of the stuff in later volumes.... Man, Ive seen some shit.

I read each volume about two or three times waiting for the next. It's wonderful. I would honestly say that mangaka have far more gorgeous and consistent art than comic artists

Yeah, it's still wrong. Harley Quinn is missing.

Selfie cover FTW.

I read each volume about two or three times waiting for the next. It's wonderful. I would honestly say that mangaka have far more gorgeous and consistent art than comic artists.

It varies by artist, really. But there are definitely some excellent mangaka out there.

Messi

I read each volume about two or three times waiting for the next. It's wonderful. I would honestly say that mangaka have far more gorgeous and consistent art than comic artists

Selfie cover FTW.

I'm going to travel an hour to my "local" store tomorrow in hopes of getting the selfie cover. Rarely they get variants and usually staff take them but I am hopeful :(

Sometimes I score big, like cover price for the Adam Hughes 1-25 #1 variant.

I'm going to travel an hour to my "local" store tomorrow in hopes of getting the selfie cover. Rarely they get variants and usually staff take them but I am hopeful :(

Sometimes I score big, like cover price for the Adam Hughes 1-25 #1 variant.

Wow, the guys at your shop soumd like shitbags.

Messi

Wow, the guys at your shop soumd like shitbags.

They are. I asked them to leave a copy of Harley and a copy of the Variants each month (not the 1 in whatever covers, the regular ones like the 75th and selfie ones) in my box and they refused the variants as apparently they can't order them. Funny how the staff always seem to have them. Ah well :(

Going to comic shops in Florida was an eye opening experience. They were so helpful and had many copies of regular and variant issues. I even got the recent 1-25 Harley cover.

This one

tumblr_n8py5lQEP81qjq4fzo1_500.jpg

They only got one seemingly.

They are. I asked them to leave a copy of Harley and a copy of the Variants each month (not the 1 in whatever covers, the regular ones like the 75th and selfie ones) in my box and they refused the variants as apparently they can't order them. Funny how the staff always seem to have them. Ah well :(

It's crazy how shitty some LCS folks can be. I've experienced those types. Fucking boneheads. I really wish I could up and move the LCS from my hometown and plop it here in Buffalo.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
man you know what's a fun comic?

Flash Gordon, by Parker/Shaner/Bellaire

So glad to hear this! I remember really hoping that it'd be a great, fun comic when it first came out.
I'll almost definitely pick up the trade for this. I love the modern pulpy sci-fi stuff.

Genius #1 was pretty okay. The art grew on me by the end but the plot and characters aren't very dimensional.

Tech Jacket #2 - not a lot of developments, but Khary Randolph continues to deliver the good shit

New Warriors #8 - That Inhuman plotline is tired to me, but good thing that's wrapped. and Nova, lol fuck outta here. Next issue promises Scarlet Spider fighting Justice and a bear, which should be great. The Marcus To/Ruth Redmond art team is really underrated, very good stuff. I hope this doesn't get cancelled

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Are these Batman's issues on sale on comixology related to this trade paperbacks or is it a completely diffrent story?

AUG050185.jpg

JUN120243.jpg

The Arkham Unhinged, Arkham City and Arkham City: End Game comics are related to the Arkham video game universe. The Arkham City books in the sale are the same as the Dini trade in your post.

The other books on sale are just random stories and one-shot collections revolving around the villains and Arkham.

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth is basically a standalone book that has become the definitive tale involving Arkham Asylum. Not directly related to the video game universe, but an obvious influence. These issues are not found in the sale.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom