• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I want it to be tomorrow already so I can come home from work, take the shrinkwrap off my Doom Patrol omnibus, assume the omnibus reading position, and sink into an epic Morrison story.

Fucks yeah!

Also, the upcoming arc is going to have backup stories by Michael Chabon, who wrote The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which I think would interest most everybody in this thread.

Oh man. That's pretty awesome.
I really ought to read that book sometime... I saw it in a thrift store one time for super cheap and didn't buy it for some bizarre reason.

Messi

Casanova will be the Fraction's signature book when its all done and dusted. Its gonna be the one they remember him for, even past Iron Fist and Hawkeye and Iron Man Annual #1/Sensational Spider-man Annual #1 and that issue of Punisher where all the z-list rogues gather in a bar.

Not even Pizza Dog?

ElNarez

Banned
It's, seriously, every trick Fraction pulls off with Aja and the gang in either Hawkeye or Iron Fist, even Defenders to an extent, he's figured out with the Twins in Casanova. If you like anything he's ever done, you need to read it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
It's, seriously, every trick Fraction pulls off with Aja and the gang in either Hawkeye or Iron Fist, even Defenders to an extent, he's figured out with the Twins in Casanova. If you like anything he's ever done, you need to read it.

Gaah. Why must you hype it up so much when October 15th is so far away. It's just painful. Haha

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Damn, I'm really happy that there are this many Casanova fans in here.

Cheska

Oh my God, please tell me that we've already established that Messi is in the new Harley issue. It's like they wrote that issue for GAF. Really loved John Timms art <3

Messi

Oh my God, please tell me that we've already established that Messi is in the new Harley issue. It's like they wrote that issue for GAF. Really loved John Timms art <3

It came up briefly earlier, I just haven't had a chance to read it yet so I have no idea what you guys are yapping about.

Cheska

It came up briefly earlier, I just haven't had a chance to read it yet so I have no idea what you guys are yapping about.

MESSI! STOP. STOP WHATEVER YOU'RE DOING AND READ THAT DAMN ISSUE NOW.

It's seriously going to make you smile so hard, you don't even know.

EDIT: I really liked Scalera's take on Batman this week. However, why the hell
is Leslie Thompkins so young looking in this book?
. I feel like catching up on Batman Eternal since I've had more room in my budget recently.

Running through Seven Soldiers for the first time, finishing the first omnibus.. man this is some next level shit, even with I don't understand many thing.. does I just need to read more carefully or I just miss some reference for hardcore reader?

I greatly enjoy it though.

Seven Soldiers really rewards re-reads. You'll get the big picture on the first read but it's amazing how intricately everything ties together. I can't imagine the planning on Morrison's end that had to be done to slot it all together.

EDIT: I really liked Scalera's take on Batman this week. However, why the hell
is Leslie Thompkins so young looking in this book?
. I feel like catching up on Batman Eternal since I've had more room in my budget recently.

Since when do you have a budget? You've been buying statues like you don't give a fuck. :D

Cheska

Since when do you have a budget? You've been buying statues like you don't give a fuck. :D

Since buying weekly comics was getting overwhelming. Spending an average of $40 a week just seemed like a lot, and there were just too many books for me. So in order to control this a little, I try to put a limit of only spending $20-$25. Buying digitally has now helped, for the Marvel side especially.

Wow, Sex Criminals #7 was awesome. And I think I almost spend as long reading the letters column as i did with the actual content (not a criticism)

Busaiku

So I decided to pick up Rise of the Magi, Ragnarok, and Trees today.

Rise of the Magi is okish, but feels kind of disjointed, especially in terms of the language. The fantasy dialect stuff mixed with casual English is kind of weird. Also, didn't know there was a 0 issue that's integral.

Ragnarok was pretty good. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but the characters are ok. Art is phenomenal.

Trees was pretty good too. Though I was reading it when I was kind of sleepy, so I'm pretty confused.

Will definitely check out more of Ragnarok and Trees as they come out. Maybe Rise of the Magi too, but that was definitely the weakest if the bunch.

Suicide Squad was meh. Nothing much else to say. Probably going to drop.

Harley on the other hand was a book of the month candidate. It keeps on getting better and better. That's saying something to Amanda and Jimmys writing with a fill-in artist this issue.

Cheska

Grandharrier and any others that read Batman Beyond. Where would you start? With the 2012 Beechen series and then move onto 2.0?

Grandharrier and any others that read Batman Beyond. Where would you start? With the 2012 Beechen series and then move onto 2.0?

My suggested reading order would be:

1. Batman Beyond Hush (2010)
  2. Batman Beyond Industrial Revolution (2011)
  3. Batman Beyond Unlimited 10,000 Clowns (2012)
  4. Batman Beyond Universe 2.0 (2013)

You could start with #3 if you wanted to start with something closer as you suggested in your initial question, but #1 and 2 are only 6 and 8 issue series so it's not that much more to add to the list for the full experience.

I'd also suggest:

1. Justice League Beyond
  2. Justice League Beyond 2.0

If you end up enjoying what you read because they add to the overall Beyond Universe, and feature Terry as a member of the team in many issues.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yes. In all honesty I like the Beechen stuff more than 2.0, not that the current run is bad but because I don't always like the direction it's going.

That's it for Captain Marvel's first arc it looks like. It's better than KSD's last attempt but its still not wow-ing me. It's actually like Reed's Ms. Marvel run, not bad at all but you're not missing anything if you don't read it.

To be brutally honest, the last thing KSD impressed me with was the Osborn mini.

Bii

Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers

rAZrOo4.jpg

The Transformers comics is vastly different than the animated series and movies that I've been exposed to. It's very graphic and violent at times and has caught me off guard than once.

In Last Stand of the Wreckers, we have a specialized group of Autobots who are sent to Garrus-9, a prison that was taken by the Decepticons a few years back, to investigate what has happened to it between now and then. Turns out, a Decepticon by the name of Overlord managed to overrun and rule Garrus-9. Overlord is no pushover, he has resorted to dismemberment, torture and straight up murder to get what he wants. The things he says and the actions he take is downright cruel. I always worry what happens in the next panel whenever his name is mentioned. There are so many shocking and surprising moments that I have to remind myself that this isn't like anything I've seen before from this series.

The only cons I would mention is that there aren't really any big name Autobots (Optimus gets a mention here and there) and I sometimes have to backtrack a few pages just to see who is who. Another thing I've noticed (and it may just be me here), is that it's sometimes difficult to fully realize what the hell is going on. Fights rage on and robot limbs are tossed around and intermixed everywhere that I really have to concentrate and separate one bot from another to see what's happening. Again, minor issues that doesn't hinder my overall enjoyment with this trade.

Thanks to the few of you who recommended this trade to read; I can always count on Comics-GAF. I was very impressed and am now excited to move onto More Than Meets the Eye.

Batman #34 was good.. Dat art!

United States of Murder Inc #4. is soo good. Really getting into the story, every issue has me looking forward to what will come next. I really like the art and color tones a lot. Its a nice/different taste. (done by the writer&artist from Powers)

tim1138

So I guess the new Green Arrow team is basically turning it into the show. Here's a teaser image of Felicity, poor thing it must be hard for her to get around with such underdeveloped and misshapen legs.

Zombine

Banned
So I guess the new Green Arrow team is basically turning it into the show. Here's a teaser image of Felicity, poor thing it must be hard for her to get around with such underdeveloped and misshapen legs.

That link is broken but you've already told me more than enough.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Oh god, Wolverine & the X-Men had some really off-putting art this month. I think the only person they could draw well was Wolverine, everyone else had some odd looking faces. Everyone who hates on Pulido should feast their eyes on these:

Awful.

Zombine

Banned
Oh god, Wolverine & the X-Men had some really off-putting art this month. I think the only person they could draw well was Wolverine, everyone else had some odd looking faces. Everyone who hates on Pulido should feast their eyes on these:

Awful.

500px-San.jpg

I dropped that pile of shit after issue #2

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I really enjoyed the original run, but since the relaunch it's been really disappointing. Shame it's dropped so far in quality.

Drayco21

Fantastic- I'm excited for this, as much as I liked what Lemire was doing before.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So...Walking Dead #130

the zombies are learning to speak.

This could be a good change. Was not expecting it at all. The covers for this arc of the story continue to be wonderful.

LOL, seems like its not worth the time to start reading TWD from where I stopped.

Thanks to the few of you who recommended this trade to read; I can always count on Comics-GAF. I was very impressed and am now excited to move onto More Than Meets the Eye.

Nice review. Do you know if one can go from Wreckers straight to MTMTE?

Or is there something before Wreckers that should be read as well?

arkon

Nice review. Do you know if one can go from Wreckers straight to MTMTE?

Or is there something before Wreckers that should be read as well?

You can go straight into MTMTE. I haven't even read Wreckers yet (will do at some point) and I've been reading MTMTE since the beginning with no problems.

The additional issues you might want to look at are the Chaos Theory arc (issues 22 and 23 of the old series) and the Death of Optimus Prime issue. Not essential though.

Tizoc

@arkon- Death of Optimus Prime is collected in More than meets the eye Vol. 1 actually =)

Transformers 22 and 23 are by James Roberts, either get them single/floppies or grab Chaos Theory TPB.

The Transformers comics is vastly different than the animated series and movies that I've been exposed to. It's very graphic and violent at times and has caught me off guard than once.

In Last Stand of the Wreckers, we have a specialized group of Autobots who are sent to Garrus-9, a prison that was taken by the Decepticons a few years back, to investigate what has happened to it between now and then. Turns out, a Decepticon by the name of Overlord managed to overrun and rule Garrus-9. Overlord is no pushover, he has resorted to dismemberment, torture and straight up murder to get what he wants. The things he says and the actions he take is downright cruel. I always worry what happens in the next panel whenever his name is mentioned. There are so many shocking and surprising moments that I have to remind myself that this isn't like anything I've seen before from this series.

The only cons I would mention is that there aren't really any big name Autobots (Optimus gets a mention here and there) and I sometimes have to backtrack a few pages just to see who is who. Another thing I've noticed (and it may just be me here), is that it's sometimes difficult to fully realize what the hell is going on. Fights rage on and robot limbs are tossed around and intermixed everywhere that I really have to concentrate and separate one bot from another to see what's happening. Again, minor issues that doesn't hinder my overall enjoyment with this trade.

Glad you enjoyed it :D

More than meets the eye is its successor, which takes place after a major story arc which you can skip. MTMTE is by the same author as Last Stand, and has even more fucked up Decepticons like Overlord.

edit: to add, that's the beauty of the comics, heck it's been the case since the 80s! The lack of the big names helps getting interested in the big cast of the TF series and lets authors (safely?) flesh characters out. MTMTE will feature some more known characters like Ratchet and manages to give them a lot character despite not being the main focus. To give you an idea: Ratchet is somewhat cranky and an atheist.

arkon

@arkon- Death of Optimus Prime is collected in More than meets the eye Vol. 1 actually =)

Transformers 22 and 23 are by James Roberts, either get them single/floppies or grab Chaos Theory TPB.

Oh. I was mostly just speaking from the POV of buying the singles. Trades didn't enter my mind for some reason lol. Been so long since I read the issue but I don't really remember it being essential. If it's in the first trade that's handy I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom