• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ViewtifulJC and Birdie, please chime in here as well, I'm looking for some solid opinions.

Gotta friend who is relatively new to the hobby and has never read any vintage Morrison but as a point of reference has read and enjoyed Seven Soldiers, We3, All Star Supes, and his Batman run. I've told her to check out Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Invisibles, and Vimanarama but she wants to know which one to start with. My personal biases lean towards Animal Man, but what say you fellow Morrison fans.

Invisibles is high-level Morrison, as is The Filth and Flex Mentallo. Doom Patrol and Animal Man are both good options, leaning Doom Patrol cuz you get a feel for his "weirdness" more than Animal Man, but you also see his tampers it with traditional superhero storytelling basics, and Cliff Steele is always there as the audience surrogate. There's rarely been a more moving or convincing superhero relationship than the one that develops between Crazy Jane and Cliff Steele.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just got back from the library and I got a pretty great haul!
Picked up the first volume of Lemire's Essex County ("Tales from the Farm"), We3, The Black Mirror (already read it once, but want to re-read it), Pride of Baghdad, and Captain America: Castaway in Dimension Z vol 1.
I'm pretty excited. Gonna start with Essex County since I promised Tim, Jedeye, and Donie I'd read some Lemire. :p

And I participated live when it happened.

Where were you when Kipps Omnibus-Fapping-Instruction happened?

It's like 9/11. Everyone remembers where they were when it happened. To be fair, it's not hard in most cases. A lot of people were just at their computers.

Also, I just realized, that was THE thing that led to me starting drawing. I did that, then I did that smutty Greg Land-style Spiderwoman, then I made Messi a Catwoman avatar to apologize for the smut, then I started making avatars, and then I realized I liked doing art/drawing. And now I have a drawing tablet.
Kinda crazy all of that came from the "proper omnibus reading position" drawing. Haha

Korten

Banned
Just picked up Amazing Spider-man #4 and #5. Been really enjoying the series thus far, and really dig the art style.

Question though, I don't follow many series, but is Moon Knight worth catching up on?

PsychBat!

Banned
He just writes generic characters so he should be fine on Moon Knight.
image.php

Sadist

Amazing Spider-Man #5

Ugh, this again? Black Cat is so one-dimensional, it's boring. Same goes for Electro btw.
JJJ back in his role for hating that blasted Spider-Man is a bit meh too and the thing with Silk is weird. I admit I laughed when Anna-Maria comes home and she sees those two feeling each other up on the ceiling. Anyway... eh.

Silk and Spidey having that animal attraction can only mean one thing; she will go black widow on him. And I'm not talking about Natasha. Ahum. Crazy theory.

Spider-Man 2099

It's fun. I like Miguel, I like the supporting cast and it was a blast to read.

Original Sin #7

Eh, it was okayish. Sigh. Guess Jason Aaron can't save this one :(

Kipp

Wow. Just finished Essex County vol 1: Tales from the Farm.
Thanks to everyone who recommended Jeff Lemire to me. That was really great stuff for all those reasons that you said it would be. I'll definitely make sure to check out some of his other creator-owned stuff now.

Quick question regarding that Essex County story though.
Was Jimmy (the guy who was playing with Lester and built the fort and generally being a friend to Lester) just his imagination? Or was he actually his father (Jimmy's reaction to when Lester said "You get along fine with me and you don't have kids" and also Jimmy's use of the "Red sky at night" saying)? And was he actually the same person as the store owner? The fact that the store owner acted like he never interacted with Lester besides that time Lester went into the store but then he/Jimmy acted confused at why Lester hadn't hung out with him in a while had me all confused.
I may not be asking this question very clearly, but basically, what was the deal with that character? Any possible explanation for who he actually was seemed to be contradicted by something else. I feel a little dumb for not getting it, but if anyone could explain that, I'm really curious.
Regardless of that confusion though, I enjoyed that story immensely. The emotions were palpable and the relationship between the uncle and Lester was so well done.

ViewtifulJC and Birdie, please chime in here as well, I'm looking for some solid opinions.

Gotta friend who is relatively new to the hobby and has never read any vintage Morrison but as a point of reference has read and enjoyed Seven Soldiers, We3, All Star Supes, and his Batman run. I've told her to check out Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Invisibles, and Vimanarama but she wants to know which one to start with. My personal biases lean towards Animal Man, but what say you fellow Morrison fans.

Always start with Vimanarama. Then Invisibles, then the rest. DP is great but is also very young, very green Moz. Animal Man I've never even finished because it's the worst art in history.

But Vimanarama is flat out the perfect comic book love story. Maybe even probably the perfect comic book.

Zombine

Banned
Invisibles, in my mind, is one of the best stories ever written. It's classic Morrison, his highest achievement, and is incredibly fulfilling.

Kipp

Invisibles, in my mind, is one of the best stories ever written. It's classic Morrison, his highest achievement, and is incredibly fulfilling.

I neeeed to read it. I read the first few issues of it almost half a year ago and I was absolutely captivated by it. I just haven't been able to bite the bullet on buying the omnibus yet. I suppose if I wait long enough I could just go with the deluxe editions.
With that said, if anyone here is looking to sell their omnibus to trade it for the deluxe editions, hit me up.

Edit: And speaking of Morrison, I'm going to start We3 now. Haven't read it before.

Pickups today included last week's stuff.

Marvel Comics
Captain America #23
Hulk #5
Iron Fist The Living Weapon #5
Moon Knight #6
New Avengers #22
Rocket Raccoon #2
She-Hulk #7

DC Comics
Batman #34
Batman '66 Meets Green Hornet #3
Justice League 3000 #9

Image Comics
Lazarus #10
Sex Criminals #7

IDW Publishing
Godzilla Cataclysm #1

Other Publishers
Princess Ugg #3 (Oni)

Zombine

Banned
I neeeed to read it. I read the first few issues of it almost half a year ago and I was absolutely captivated by it. I just haven't been able to bite the bullet on buying the omnibus yet. I suppose if I wait long enough I could just go with the deluxe editions.
With that said, if anyone here is looking to sell their omnibus to trade it for the deluxe editions, hit me up.

Edit: And speaking of Morrison, I'm going to start We3 now. Haven't read it before.

I picked up the whole thing for $50 on comixology.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

As somebody who only really got heavily into Morrison in the past 5 years, I think Doom Patrol is a great choice for your friend.

ViewtifulJC pretty much covered it, but aside from the incredibly well realized (and so damn likeable) characters, the writing is more confident, more fun, and simply flows way better in Doom Patrol than in Animal Man. Animal Man still has some of that 80s funk stuck to its writing, with cliches thrown about and some awkward stilted writing (moreso in the first half than the second), where Doom Patrol is a more experienced Morrison that keeps it from feeling antiquated, despite being 20 years old.

I also think the structure of Doom Patrol--with this group of misfits dealing with weird End Times and absurd apocalypses arc after arc, all the while exposing their real selves to each other and learning to navigate their own psychological issues and bonding and banding together--is so much more well crafted than Animal Man's. And the humor and comedy is always present (Brain/Mallah being one of the funniest damn issues I've ever read), with little of the preachiness that crept into Animal Man.

And Doom Patrol is entirely dominant in terms of art. Animal Man can be off-putting initially due to how atrocious the art is at the beginning.

SRG01

Wow, I am this close to dropping Spidey, but I'm reluctant to do so because of the upcoming Spider-Verse arc and, well, I have a soft spot for Spiderman comics :(

Wow, I am this close to dropping Spidey, but I'm reluctant to do so because of the upcoming Spider-Verse arc and, well, I have a soft spot for Spiderman comics :(

I haven't read #5, so I don't know if I share the sentiment. I've been digging that art for sure, though. And I need that hooded Spider-Gwen in my life.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Always start with Vimanarama. Then Invisibles, then the rest. DP is great but is also very young, very green Moz. Animal Man I've never even finished because it's the worst art in history.

But Vimanarama is flat out the perfect comic book love story. Maybe even probably the perfect comic book.

You getting a mad shameful look from me right now, Birdie. Mad shameful.

Morrison's X-men is a particular favourite of mine.

reread that recently, still pretty godlike, cept those two Igor Kordley issues and the Murder at the Mansion thing. Not sure where I'd put in my top 10 Morrison works...

0. Flex Mentallo
1. Doom Patrol
2. Batman
3. All-Star Superman
4. We3
5. JLA
6. Seven Soldiers
7. New X-Men
8. Kill Your Boyfriend
9. Zenith
10. Marvel Boy

Zombine

Banned
You know that a writer is something special when you are genuinely excited for their next release. In my case, Multiversity is that book.

I would say that 9 times out of 10 I buy books out of habit. I don't get excited for a particular new release, and treat this hobby as a part of my week.

But Multiversity has me hyped. Super hyped. Turbo fucking Remix hyped. I feel like a kid counting down for Christmas. I need this book right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom