• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Doom Patrol it is, thanks for the input guys. MorrisonGAF is the best sect of ComicsGAF, bar none.

If I had to do a top 10 of his stuff it would go something like this:

1. Animal Man
1a. Flex Mentallo
2. All Star Superman
3. Batman
4. JLA
5. Doom Patrol
6. Invisibles
7. We3
8. Joe the Barbarian
9. Vinamarama
10. Final Crisis

With New X-Men just missing the cut.

Gotta strong feeling Multiversity is going to make that list when it's all said and done.

Bii said:
I'm not hyped for Multiversity. Should I be?

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yea I don't know much about it. Fill me in

Yes, yes you should. It's pretty much Morrison's magnum opus that builds off of everything he has done at DC while at the same time creating the definitive map of the Multiverse. It is going to be brain meltingly awesome.

frye

1234 is a bit of a weird comic, definitely the weakest of Moz's Marvel efforts, and decidedly un-Kirby.

Otoh, man Jae Lee draws a really attractive Namor

Zombine

Banned
Yea I don't know much about it. Fill me in, Zombine.

Multiversity is a book that has been brewing inside the mind of Grant Morrison for the past 5 years. It is the foundation of the DC universe and Morrison considers it the culmination of his DC work.

This is no normal event. Grant has taken the time to literally map out the DC multiverse.

Channel_52_Multiversity_53d2a586a22be6.57944180.jpg

This is equal part cape book, equal part Morrison mind fuck. This is the fabric of the DC universe and it is in the hands of the most far out writer still working in the industry. It will be fantastic, it will be glorious, and it will be some of his best work.

This is no normal event. Grant has taken the time to literally map out the DC multiverse.

This is equal part cape book, equal part Morrison mind fuck. This is the fabric of the DC universe and it is in the hands of the most far out writer still working in the industry. It will be fantastic, it will be glorious, and it will be some of his best work.

I'm usually not a fan of DC events, but I'm all in for this. So is #30 the universe where Red Son took place? I'm assuming...

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
All you guys praising Doom Patrol are making me even more excited to read it now. I'll very likely be starting it tomorrow.

Anyways, just finished reading We3! That was so great. I never really had any desire to read it since it's about pets and I've never been a pet person, but I'm so glad they had it at the library where I could just grab it and check it out because why not, it's free. That was an incredible mini with some top-tier Quitely art.
One thing I'm a little confused on is why so many people talk about how it's a tear-jerker. I mean, it even had a happy ending basically. Maybe it's because I'm not a pet person. Haha
But yeah, that was some incredible comics.

Also, this is by far my most productive comics reading day in a long time. Finished Hellboy LE vol 1 and read through both that Lemire Essex County story and We3. I'm very pleased.

Morrison and Queilty are reuniting of course you should buy multiversity

There's going to be a different artist each issue, right? So Quitely will just be on one issue?

Multiversity is a book that has been brewing inside the mind of Grant Morrison for the past 5 years. It is the foundation of the DC universe and Morrison considers it the culmination of his DC work.

Channel_52_Multiversity_53d2a586a22be6.57944180.jpg

Oh wow I didn't realize it was related to the map he drew up... Awesome!

That one panel in WE3 with the saddest dog expression/speech...gets me every time breh.

Only cried reading comics maybe a handful of times. Twice reading Born Again, of all things.

we3%20-%20de%20co%20mish.jpg

ElNarez

Banned
There's going to be a different artist each issue, right? So Quitely will just be on one issue?

AND it's Morrison doing a Watchmen riff with the original Charlton comics characters.

Pax Americana is my most anticipated comic in years.

ReiGun

Read that Sensation Comics. Had a nice chuckle at Diana basically calling the entire Bat rogues gallery light work.

All this Morrison talk has made me decide to try and read as much Doom Patrol as possible on my day off tomorrow. I've had it in the backlog for a while now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whats the context for those dog pics? its bumming me out... i miss my dogs now >_<

Morrison is really good at economic characterization, how we can boil characters down to a few lines of dialog, and I think WE3 is the ultimate expression of that. He(and Quitely) create some surprisingly good characters out of numbers, punctuation marks, and little nonsense words. ST111NK BOSS!, 1 no 0, uh oh, ? is gud dog ?, etc. 1 the steadfast leader just trying to do the right thing, 2 the Wolverine to 1's Cyclops who eventually learns to care for them as a team, and 3 the innocent little kid who just wants to be taken care and doesn't even know how to control his damn weapon.

fertygo

Running through Seven Soldiers for the first time, finishing the first omnibus.. man this is some next level shit, even with I don't understand many thing.. does I just need to read more carefully or I just miss some reference for hardcore reader?

I greatly enjoy it though.

Messi

Try WE3. I do think you would enjoy the art in that one, TBH. The panel composition, the animal art is superb.

Now changing gears a second. More additions to the collection arrived today!

First we have a replacement staff for my boy Jack Knight (aka Starman). Its good to have him whole again.

Then we have a nice Flash figurine. KotoBukiya creates nice, cost effective designs that can help fill out a collection quickly. Love the magnet based stands. Great idea

And then the biggest arrival of the day was the Bowen Thor statue. Man Bowen makes amazing statues. This even looks better in person than in photos or the store shelf

BTW I'm jealous of tim, Birdie and others and they're abilities to sell people on series they love. I have so many that i don't see mentioned here that I know people would love, or might not have heard of. But i'm not as strong a writer, plus i'm lazy. :p But! I think i'll start coming up with a weekly section for gketter's recommendations and do one once a week. Highlight a run, mini, series, etc that I love that i think others should check out. Not sure what day but i'll settle on something soon.

SRG01

Just read through 2099 #2. The dialog is absolutely amazing.

"My arm is getting tired"
"Water comes in brands?"
*tossing/not-really-tossing Liz out the window*

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
BTW I'm jealous of tim, Birdie and others and they're abilities to sell people on series they love. I have so many that i don't see mentioned here that I know people would love, or might not have heard of. But i'm not as strong a writer, plus i'm lazy. :p But! I think i'll start coming up with a weekly section for gketter's recommendations and do one once a week. Highlight a run, mini, series, etc that I love that i think others should check out. Not sure what day but i'll settle on something soon.

Once Casanova comes back, I'm going into full-on 70s-Manhattan-hooker mode and selling that shit like it's my job.

Running through Seven Soldiers for the first time, finishing the first omnibus.. man this is some next level shit, even with I don't understand many thing.. does I just need to read more carefully or I just miss some reference for hardcore reader?

I greatly enjoy it though.

As long as you're following this reading order:
, then you'll be a-ok. Morrison is always going to have references to things, inside and outside of the comics medium, that will go over your head the first time through the story, but you'll get everything you need for it to be cohesive, enjoyable, and shockingly well-woven considering the scope, by reading through from start to finish, in the proper order.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just read through 2099 #2. The dialog is absolutely amazing.

"My arm is getting tired"
"Water comes in brands?"
*tossing/not-really-tossing Liz out the window*

Really great issue. Hope this series lasts a while. The window tossing caught me by surprise and I love how he vocalized the intent afterwards.

fertygo

As long as you're following this reading order:
, then you'll be a-ok. Morrison is always going to have references to things, inside and outside of the comics medium, that will go over your head the first time through the story, but you'll get everything you need for it to be cohesive, enjoyable, and shockingly well-woven considering the scope, by reading through from start to finish, in the proper order.

Well I'm just going through the order that the omnibus use, on fast glance its look like that though.

Nice to hear I'll at least get the big picture, kinda worried about that lol

Kipp

Once Casanova comes back, I'm going into full-on 70s-Manhattan-hooker mode and selling that shit like it's my job.

I know pretty much nothing about it, but good Fraction comics are my favorite. I really want to buy the hardcover re-release when it comes out, but this is one severely overpriced book:

CASANOVA, VOL. 1: LUXURIA - THE COMPLETE EDITION HC
story: MATT FRACTION
art / cover: GABRIEL BÁ

OCTOBER 15 / 168 PAGES / FC / M / $29.99

Casanova Quinn, a decadent thief and black sheep to the most famous family in global super-espionage, gets kidnapped across parallel dimensions where survival means masquerading as the greatest secret agent the world has ever known...Casanova Quinn. The first volume of the ultimate in science fiction spy psychedelia collected in an ultra-deluxe oversized edition. At long last, all the covers, all the content, all the comics, between two gorgeous covers. By MATT FRACTION (SEX CRIMINALS, SATELLITE SAM, Hawkeye), GABRIEL BÁ (Umbrella Academy, Daytripper), and FÁBIO MOON (Daytripper, BPRD).

Collects CASANOVA #1-4

That's $7.50 per issue. I can't handle that.
Not sure why they couldn't collect at least the whole "Luxuria" series (#1-7).

Zombine

Banned
So...Walking Dead #130

the zombies are learning to speak.

This could be a good change. Was not expecting it at all. The covers for this arc of the story continue to be wonderful.

I know pretty much nothing about it, but good Fraction comics are my favorite. I really want to buy the hardcover re-release when it comes out, but this is one severely overpriced book:

It does. The original Luxuria books were 7 16-page books, now they are four 32 page chapters. Recolored as well.

old

j1pPj6ewLiVAm.jpg

jiDAggSJM2Eun.jpg

new

jRatcLQZfRquo.jpg

jbmHZa0OxiMBPs.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

That is the whole of Luxuria. Orignally, Casanova was a 16 page Image comic, and was numbered as such. So, the original Luxuria was seven (or however) 16 page issues long.

But, when Fraction and Ba and Moon brought the book over to Icon, and recolored/lettered the original issues, they decided to scrap the slim-chapter book idea and just make 4 longer books per arc (7 arcs for 7 deadly sins). So the original two arcs, Luxuria and Gula, had their chapters combined and renumbered, hence the 1-4 for this deluxe hardcover.

So you're paying 30 dollars for the entire arc, and I imagine a nice amount of backmatter/awesome extra shit. It'll probably be cheaper online also, if $30 is msrp.

On top of that, Casanova is worth every fucking penny.

So...Walking Dead #130

the zombies are learning to speak.

This could be a good change. Was not expecting it at all. The covers for this arc of the story continue to be wonderful.

I agree. The book was getting stale, but this is a pretty interesting development. But wouldn't they be easier to
counter now that they just blurt out what they're thinking?

All-New X-Men #30 - AWWWWWW!
Angel and X-23 make such a cute couple

Shutter #5 - Man, this book. I wasn't sure about it after issue one, but it's been a great ride so far. This was the first book I read today, and I wasn't disappointed. It's so crazy and all-over-the-place, and it's got a hugely diverse cast of characters.

Kipp

It does. The original Luxuria books were 7 16-page books, now they are four 32 page chapters. Recolored as well.

Oh! Excellent! Thank you for clearing that up for me! That recoloring looks miles better, too.
Now I feel much more inclined to pick it up. $15ish (after a presumed 45-50% discount) for that is still on the more expensive end of reasonable, but reasonable nonetheless.
Thanks again for that information. Now I can resume being excited about reading this eventually.

That is the whole of Luxuria. Orignally, Casanova was a 16 page Image comic, and was numbered as such. So, the original Luxuria was seven (or however) 16 page issues long.

But, when Fraction and Ba and Moon brought the book over to Icon, and recolored/lettered the original issues, they decided to scrap the slim-chapter book idea and just make 4 longer books per arc (7 arcs for 7 deadly sins). So the original two arcs, Luxuria and Gula, had their chapters combined and renumbered, hence the 1-4 for this deluxe hardcover.

So you're paying 30 dollars for the entire arc, and I imagine a nice amount of backmatter/awesome extra shit. It'll probably be cheaper online also, if $30 is msrp.

On top of that, Casanova is worth every fucking penny.

Thanks to you too for the explanation (and the strong endorsement). I'll almost definitely be picking it up now. I do hope it's an oversized hardcover though.

Filthy Slug

Oh! Excellent! Thank you for clearing that up for me! That recoloring looks miles better, too.
Now I feel much more inclined to pick it up. $15ish (after a presumed 45-50% discount) for that is still on the more expensive end of reasonable, but reasonable nonetheless.
Thanks again for that information. Now I can resume being excited about reading this eventually.

Thanks to you too for the explanation (and the strong endorsement). I'll almost definitely be picking it up now.

15 bones is more than reasonable for Fraction's best book. Especially considering the fact that each of those issues is fat with great content. And if you get some of the original letters columns, well, you'll see why when Fraction's passionate, you end up loving the backmatter of his books as much as the books themselves.

Sex Criminals is very similar in that sense. When Fraction opens himself up and you feel how personal the stories he's telling really are.

Kipp

15 bones is more than reasonable for Fraction's best book. Especially considering the fact that each of those issues is fat with great content. And if you get some of the original letters columns, well, you'll see why when Fraction's passionate, you end up loving the backmatter of his books as much as the books themselves.

Awesome. Well, you've sold me on it for sure now. Thanks! I'm definitely looking forward to picking this up.

Casanova will be the Fraction's signature book when its all done and dusted. Its gonna be the one they remember him for, even past Iron Fist and Hawkeye and Iron Man Annual #1/Sensational Spider-man Annual #1 and that issue of Punisher where all the z-list rogues gather in a bar.

Filthy Slug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom