• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Oh. I was mostly just speaking from the POV of buying the singles. Trades didn't enter my mind for some reason lol. Been so long since I read the issue but I don't really remember it being essential. If it's in the first trade that's handy I guess.

Speaking of which I really like how James gives Optimus his due, making him badass right of the bat, especially in Transformers 22 and 23, and ESPECIALLY in
the flashback issue in MTMTE

What is going on in Endgame!?!

Bu_pBrlIgAAiBtb.jpg

? .. Is this next months Futures End issue or something?,, A Segway motorcycle,, Batman with a gun..

Messi

Omg I woke up this morning and my roommate had left my hot toy Thor in my bed beside me. How the fuck did it arrive so quickly. 3 days from USA and no import charge. Hype.

Pics later.

So I guess the new Green Arrow team is basically turning it into the show. Here's a teaser image of Felicity, poor thing it must be hard for her to get around with such underdeveloped and misshapen legs.
What have they done to my beloved? If only JT Krul didn't screw up so badly we wouldn't get all these disjointed runs.....

tim1138

Has anyone read Scud the Disposable Assassin? I picked up the omnibus from the library yesterday and started it this morning. It's a lot of fun so far, I'm really digging it.

Cheska

Last weekend we made a trip to a smaller, local con. It was ridiculously crowded, which was surprising seeing as it wasn't being held in the safest town, nor were there any super well known people there. But anyways, I picked up some really neat prints :D

My sister-in-laws actually picked this one up for me. Super Emo Kid was having a 3 for $50 sale, so they picked two for themselves and got this one for me :) I am veeeery tempted to pick up a couple more off his website, like the Drake and Catwoman ones.
N0ep2fyl.jpg

This one's for you, Messi ;)
3c7d6qbl.jpg

Gotham City Sirens, TMNT and comic babes.
Xef2DKRl.jpg

and by far my favorite one, and what led me to this artist's table was this Rocket and Groot print:
o1boXFJl.jpg

I just fell in love with her style, and picked up way more than I expected I would.
2qQj34wl.jpg

aFCSgpFl.jpg

Already replaced some of my existing prints for the Thor and Loki, and looking into frames for some of the smaller pieces.

Omg I woke up this morning and my roommate had left my hot toy Thor in my bed beside me. How the fuck did it arrive so quickly. 3 days from USA and no import charge. Hype.

Pics later.

5dnJOJ2.gif

I just fell in love with her style, and picked up way more than I expected I would.
2qQj34wl.jpg

aFCSgpFl.jpg

Already replaced some of my existing prints for the Thor and Loki, and looking into frames for some of the smaller pieces.

Those are pretty great. Especially the Thor.

Messi

Last weekend we made a trip to a smaller, local con. It was ridiculously crowded, which was surprising seeing as it wasn't being held in the safest town, nor were there any super well known people there. But anyways, I picked up some really neat prints :D

My sister-in-laws actually picked this one up for me. Super Emo Kid was having a 3 for $50 sale, so they picked two for themselves and got this one for me :) I am veeeery tempted to pick up a couple more off his website, like the Drake and Catwoman ones.
N0ep2fyl.jpg

This one's for you, Messi ;)
3c7d6qbl.jpg

Gotham City Sirens, TMNT and comic babes.
Xef2DKRl.jpg

and by far my favorite one, and what led me to this artist's table was this Rocket and Groot print:
o1boXFJl.jpg

2qQj34wl.jpg

aFCSgpFl.jpg

Those little prints are incredible. Wow. What's his website.

Why you gotta tease me with that Premium Harley :(. She is so beautiful.

Man, that instocktrades extra eightpercent off is hard to resist. Feel like those brahs that came in for tax free weekend at Walmart and dismantled the store.

Tizoc

Has anyone read Scud the Disposable Assassin? I picked up the omnibus from the library yesterday and started it this morning. It's a lot of fun so far, I'm really digging it.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit I remember that comic! Hadn't read it in a long time but I liked it.
Should re-read it again someday.

Reading The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen volume 1, and it is not very good. Are the rest of the volumes/stories better or more of the same?

Mindwipe

The only character in Season 1 of MTMTE who's arc is significantly aided by backreading to really be understandable is Cyclonus really. Sadly it's spread around over quite a lot of the previous runs.

There's also a Drift miniseries which is a good introduction to the character and explains a few appearances in the later issues of the first run of MTMTE...

Owzers

I started reading JMS' Midnight Nation after blankly staring at my trade shelf for the better part of a week, it's okayyyyyyyyyy so far, very early.

Bii

Glad you enjoyed it :D

More than meets the eye is its successor, which takes place after a major story arc which you can skip. MTMTE is by the same author as Last Stand, and has even more fucked up Decepticons like Overlord.

edit: to add, that's the beauty of the comics, heck it's been the case since the 80s! The lack of the big names helps getting interested in the big cast of the TF series and lets authors (safely?) flesh characters out. MTMTE will feature some more known characters like Ratchet and manages to give them a lot character despite not being the main focus. To give you an idea: Ratchet is somewhat cranky and an atheist.

Before I read the trade, I went in with an open mind with low expectations. The characters are well developed (I actually cared for a lot of them, even the bad guys!) and it was a fun read.

I think one of the biggest themes in the book is that no matter how bad things get, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it's just a sliver, it's there. As I turn from page to page, I felt like the Wreckers were always fighting a losing battle. It didn't help to qualm my feelings when I would see Autobots tortured, mangled and just being fucked up physically and mentally.

Of course, they made it out through the end but at the cost of a few of their comrades. I just didn't see the book ending on a happy note as I professed through the trade but it, mostly, did.

Tizoc

Before I read the trade, I went in with an open mind with low expectations. The characters are well developed (I actually cared for a lot of them, even the bad guys!) and it was a fun read.

I think one of the biggest themes in the book is that no matter how bad things get, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel, even if it's just a sliver, it's there. As I turn from page to page, I felt like the Wreckers were always fighting a losing battle. It didn't help to qualm my feelings when I would see Autobots tortured, mangled and just being fucked up physically and mentally.

Of course, they made it out through the end but at the cost of a few of their comrades. I just didn't see the book ending on a happy note as I professed through the trade but it, mostly, did.

Goes to show you just how much you can do with this franchise, keep reading you'll be in for some more greatness with MTMTE, and you'll get to care more about the cast of that series.

The only character in Season 1 of MTMTE who's arc is significantly aided by backreading to really be understandable is Cyclonus really. Sadly it's spread around over quite a lot of the previous runs.

There's also a Drift miniseries which is a good introduction to the character and explains a few appearances in the later issues of the first run of MTMTE...

All you need to know about Cyclonus in the current IDW continuity is that he lived before the War and went MiA for eons following Nova Prime on an expedition, was a Cybertronian Warrior, chosen by Galvatron as his right hand man, and is a badass that you don't want to cross.
I like how he looks like a Samurai too.

Finished the first two trades of MTMTE last week. Series is legit.

Keep reading, the feels are coming. Vol. 3 is fantastic especially in how Rewind explains how to
recover Rung
The entire concept is very smart making it so even YOU, the reader apply the technique to yourself.

I should add that there is a Spotlight TPB featuring a few stories by James Roberts that takes place after Vol. 2 titled 'The Transformers: Dark Prelude'.

OH MY GOD
PLEASE
Howard Porter tweeted something along the lines of "I can't believe who Giffen has introduced in the issue I'm working on, there's gonna be a lot of happy people" yesterday, so Rich might actually have something here.
Geez, can you imagine? The 3K Leaguers already don't act like themselves and are unsure of their history; just think what would happen when you bring in
two guys who are a thousand years AND one continuity reboot removed from who they are now. And, AND, those guys are notorious pranksters always getting into trouble crossing personal boundaries to boot!

Tizoc

Bii, here are some choice quotes from the later issues of the Transformers series
Swerve: "For your information, apart from Tarn and the D.J.D., I'm scared of—(one, two, three four...)—five things in this life: One, Megatron. (Obviously.) Two, Overlord. Three, Sixshot. Four, Shockwave. And five, some nightmare combination of Megatron, Overlord, Sixshot and Shockwave."
Hoist: "They can't combine...!"
Swerve: "Matter of time. Decepticons are obsessed with combining. Put two of 'em in a room and within seconds one will be standing on the other's shoulders. Fact."

...and remember when I said the series fleshes out the characters? Take into account the current Cybertronians were warring for EONs
Hoist: "You know why you can't get a handle on me? Because I'm an ordinary person. I'm normal. I'm just a mid-ranking maintenance engineer who takes each day as it comes. I'm not particularly chatty, handsome or clever, but you know what? I get by. I manage. So don't dismiss me just because—unlike all your pals on the Lost Light—my personality isn't the product of a crippling psychological disorder."

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
looks like my girlfriend may finally quit The Walking Dead after the most recent issue.

Avengers World, Deadpool, and Grayson may be dropped, too. The first two fell off in substance and Grayson isn't doing it for me. I prefer Teen Titans, Harley, Batman, and Suicide Squad to it.

KingV

I dunno, I always think that speaking Zombies are a hint that the creatives are running out of ideas.

Walking Dead, especially the comic book in recent years has a lot of feints in the end of issue cliffhangers. I don't remember this as much early in the book, but Kirkman has become a master of ending a book looking like the story is going a certain way, and then finding out soon after that it is actually going in a different direction.

I would not be surprised to find out that
"talking zombies" are not really "talking" at all, but there is some other group/person/society/individuals who have set up some kind of "tribe/society/whatever" that travels within the zombie herd for safety, or there is some other effect of the zombie virus that causes the living to eventually have hallucinations, or something else entirely.

Messi

It has a few key characters I'm interested in: Manta, Deathstroke, and Harley. Now if they could remove Joker's Daughter and insert anyone else besides her, I'd like it a bit more.

I really dislike the version of Harley they are using.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well we know that they do because they were attacked by X-Men from the future. A future that couldn't exist without them succeeding.

There's also the shit going down in Avengers, I imagine either
Namor does it again or Reed finally figures something out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom