• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Is there any part of Astro City that shouldnt be read?

I gotta agree with gketter on the fact that Dark Age felt too long. I wouldn't say that the arc was bad, but not certainly on the overall level of the series.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Luckily nothing. Maybe if it didn't take DC 80 years to release a full series in that format.

True that. If DC released all the volumes of a previously released series at the same time, I'd buy them all immediately. As it is, I have to wait for all of them to come out to buy them all. I can't just buy the first volume of something like Scalped and then read the first 10ish issues and then wait another 3-6 months to read the next 10 issues.
I mean, I know you floppy-buying people can handle those kinds of waits, but I'm a tradewaiter. If I stop reading a series for more than a few days I just end up forgetting what happened last.

Is Pride of Baghdad worth reading? I don't really know anything about it, but even though I've got it right here to read and I really enjoy BKV, I just have no desire to read it. If you guys say it's worth reading though, I'll definitely read it.
Yes it's worth reading. It's loosely based on a story BKV read regarding zoo lions in Iraq that get out during the us/Iraq conflict.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Does anyone have any Euro comic recommendations other than Blacksad, Universal War One and Disney related stuff?

Just read Justice League United and it was the best one yet and bought it another arc. It wasn't perfect. Lots of holes to fill but what Lemire did was give most of the characters their group personality and I liked it.

The original is awesome. J Scott Campbell at his best. Awesome art and cheeseball blockbuster action/adventure storytelling.

Yeah I remember reading the first series as a kid. It was actually one of the first comics I ever read. I somehow came across Danger Girl, and uh, some battle nun Magdalene or something and I don't know some Asian assassin girls Kabuki, somewhere along the line and I remember they were all I had for a very long time.

Just read Justice League United and it was the best one yet and bought it another arc. It wasn't perfect. Lots of holes to fill but what Lemire did was give most of the characters their group personality and I liked it.

Sounds like someone is gonna read some Legion.

I'd have disowned you if you dropped it.

I'm joking.

Not really.

ReiGun

I enjoyed it too. Although, I'm not sold on Supergirl being on the team. Mainly because I don't like new52 Supergirl (seriously, why she gotta be such an ass to Stargirl?) I do wish the first arc had been stronger, but I felt the same about Lemire's Green Arrow, and we all know how that turned out.

Vyer

I had read the issues back when they were originally released, but I always meant to pick up the Escape From Bizarro World trade. It was a good Bizarro story, but primarily for the freaky Eric Powell art.

u1HNYdX.jpg

AmKuTsu.jpg

q9uBF8E.jpg

nkvb5gv.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The original is awesome. J Scott Campbell at his best. Awesome art and cheeseball blockbuster action/adventure storytelling.

It was where my friend started getting credited by name instead of just ghost-coloring or getting lumped under a staff credit.

Don't know if posted, but John Romita Sr is doing a variant Superman cover
supermansr.jpg

I like the face and the boots, nu52 suit still looks bad to me but spilled milk. Just cool that JRSR did Superman

dan2026

The Superman costume is classic.

So some moron thought 'lets draw a load of squiggly lines all over it, that's cool right?'

No, its not cool. It looks like bad fan art.

Why the heck did they give Superman armour?

It just doesn't look good. In fact most of the new 52 redesigns look awful.

Dunno DC's thought process, but Superman having clothing that doesn't dissolve when he does his feats of strength would be pretty important. I agree that it could look better.

Zombine

Banned
I think the thought process is to make it look more alien, and less like spandex.

You guys have to remember that Nu52= Extreme, and spandex isn't extreme at all.

fertygo

Pulido's art seem better fit for action scene, big problem is she-hulk seem not focusing in that at all at this point.. the hell you need that kind of abstract style for countless chatting bubble.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Pulido's art seem better fit for action scene, big problem is she-hulk seem not focusing in that at all at this point.. the hell you need that kind of abstract style for countless chatting bubble.

Pulido's style isn't abstract--it's more cartoon-y, if anything. If you want to see some abstract, but damn good, art, check out Marco Rudy.

And as for the lack of action hurting Pulido, I couldn't disagree more, man. If it's a scene with characters interacting, then Pulido usually throws in some fun characterized actions (like Matt's one-armed handstand that wetflame posted, or Patsy's futzing around with the Captain America toy in #7). There's so much personality coming through on the art side that, combined with Soule's clearly passionate and great writing, I wouldn't want anybody else on the book. Oh, aside from Ron Wimberly.

Agreed. Pulido's art is wonderful. Bright, colourful, charming, I love it. I even changed my avatar to reflect how glad I was to have Pulido return to the book. One of my top-tier books at the moment.

Beautiful stuff.
Seriously, this book is probably the most underrated book at the moment.

sorry not sorry. I love pulido's work on she-hulk. one of the most unique looking books and fits the tone perfectly. don't care about the faces/eyes.

pretty pumped about the order i'll be making on Tuesday

Mighty Avengers vol 2
Daredevil by Waid vol 6
Superior Foes of Spider-Man vol 2
Captain America by Remender vol 4
Winter Soldier: Bitter March
Punisher vol 1
Loki: Agent of Asgard vol 1
Scott Pilgrim HC vol 5
Journey Into Mystery by Gillen Complete Collection Vol 2

It's a good month, but I'm really excited for October. Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, Hawkeye and She-Hulk trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom