• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. Pulido's art is wonderful. Bright, colourful, charming, I love it. I even changed my avatar to reflect how glad I was to have Pulido return to the book. One of my top-tier books at the moment.

Beautiful stuff.

Why did I stop reading this, again? I need to catch up on this and Moon Knight.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Why did I stop reading this, again? I need to catch up on this and Moon Knight.

At least there's not that much Moon Knight for you to catch up on. I'd put She-Hulk in the same category as Hawkeye. Slice-of-life stuff with a distinctive art style, only She-Hulk is like a 60's Banana Splits, Hair Bear Bunch psychedelic romp. Light, bright, a little bit of fight, and just fun to read all-round. It's a bit wackier but it has the same amount of heart. Really great stuff.

Ultima_5

Yes, but that doesn't mean that you can't use comic characters in a novel.

What I mean to say is that I would love to see some novels based in the Marvel or DC universe. Not unlike novels based on movies, like Star Wars, or Aliens, or Star Trek, or whatever.

There's all kinds of Super hero novels. I read alot of them when I was a kid because I couldn't afford many comic books.

Hellboy - Earth as it is in hell

Hellboy - God Machine

(There's a ton of hellboy ones)

Spiderman - Darkest Hours (You can find more marvel ones in the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section)

I can't vouch for the quality, but I liked them alot as a kid!

Just watched Batman Assault on Arkham and loved it! What a cool animated movie. Loved Harley the most. That's probably the best portrayal of her since the animated series. Highly recommended.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Pulido haters, how do you keel about Tim Sale? I feel like Pulido is very much in the same wheelhouse, love his stuff.

Two great artists. I will never understand the " must have perfect pretty faces" movement in comics art.

Just watched Batman Assault on Arkham and loved it! What a cool animated movie. Loved Harley the most. That's probably the best portrayal of her since the animated series. Highly recommended.

I enjoyed the movie but yo, if that's the best portrayal of Harley since BTAS, then the paradigm shift that was forced into the character in the new52 really has ruined her and peoples' perceptions of her.

Also, Matt Kindt's Harley Villains Month issue is the only Harley comic in years that I think got her character right. Good thing they're keeping Kindt far away from Harley...

fertygo

Oh my god that Batman & Robin piece, Tomasi da gawd keep delivering (not mentioning the art but the possibility behind it)
Pulido haters, how do you keel about Tim Sale? I feel like Pulido is very much in the same wheelhouse, love his stuff.

Tim Sale is great, I'm not disliking Pulido.. but he better served drawing story that have chance for huge-ass and cool spread as many as possible, he don't have micro paneling flair that Sale had.

Messi

Two great artists. I will never understand the " must have perfect pretty faces" movement in comics art.

I enjoyed the movie but yo, if that's the best portrayal of Harley since BTAS, then the paradigm shift that was forced into the character in the new52 really has ruined her and peoples' perceptions of her.

Also, Matt Kindt's Harley Villains Month issue is the only Harley comic in years that I think got her character right. Good thing they're keeping Kindt far away from Harley...

The one where she murders all those children?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The one where she murders all those children?

I'm more going for the psychological backing to her character, but yeah, the whole murdering thing is just part of the new52, and it blows. I think Kindt did a great job of getting in her head and adding depth to the shitty juggalo psycho she's been throughout the new52.

Also, I'm okay with her not always being cute and going on cute adventures, especially if Timm and Dini aren't creating them.

I loved the Harley villains month issue as well. It was a delight to see more Harleen moments.

Why the heck did they give Superman armour?

It just doesn't look good. In fact most of the new 52 redesigns look awful.

The idea is that it is Kryptonian battle armor. One must remember that on their home planet they didn't have super powers so they'd want armor that actually protected them.

Yeah it was alot of fun. I enjoyed it as well.

You can do beautiful ugly. You can do beautiful plain. But some artists do ugly ugly and ugly plain. All artwork being subjective of course, I find that clean line work is what catches my eyes, so often artists who seem to have a shaky hand or squiggly line style, who appear to have an abstract style that isn't intentional, aren't going to appeal to me.

Lol, Harley #9 was great. That dude was totally Messi.

Yeah, what I should have said was the movie was the best portrayal of her since issue 9 because they both involved every side of Harley's character. The movie and most recent issue did an excellent job of showing how smart she can be. How she can get in people's head and manipulate them.

At least there's not that much Moon Knight for you to catch up on. I'd put She-Hulk in the same category as Hawkeye. Slice-of-life stuff with a distinctive art style, only She-Hulk is like a 60's Banana Splits, Hair Bear Bunch psychedelic romp. Light, bright, a little bit of fight, and just fun to read all-round. It's a bit wackier but it has the same amount of heart. Really great stuff.

Yeah. I'm totally stopping after Ellis, anyways. I stopped reading Hawkeye too, now that I think about it. Does it stay great, or sort of taper off?

Why the heck did they give Superman armour?

It just doesn't look good. In fact most of the new 52 redesigns look awful.

Hey Evilore, I would like to request a downvote button be added to GAF

DC's suit designs looked putrid before the New 52. Ya'll are crazy. Supes and Batman had panties on over their pajamas. Just nasty

Yeah. I'm totally stopping after Ellis, anyways. I stopped reading Hawkeye too, now that I think about it. Does it stay great, or sort of taper off?
The delays combined with the pacing kind of slowed it down, but it's still a great series and will read wonderfully in trades. The last issue was absolutely brilliant and I'd say it's one of the best in the series so far, it did the silent issue thing better than the Pizza Dog issue IMO.
Hey Evilore, I would like to request a downvote button be added to GAF

DC suit design looked putrid before the New 52. Ya'll are crazy. Supes and Batman had panties on over their pajamas. Just nasty

I don't mind some of them but I'm still sad that Wonder Woman doesn't have pants like she was originally going to when they first revealed the New 52. I hate Tim Drake's current costume though.

This is the Nu52 audience live and in the flesh

they really do exist

I don't think the comics are any better than they were before the reboot but I can't believe ya'll like those old costumes. They are Iron Man pre-Extremis bad.

The delays combined with the pacing kind of slowed it down, but it's still a great series and will read wonderfully in trades. The last issue was absolutely brilliant and I'd say it's one of the best in the series so far, it did the silent issue thing better than the Pizza Dog issue IMO.

I don't mind some of them but I'm still sad that Wonder Woman doesn't have pants like she was originally going to when they first revealed the New 52. I hate Tim Drake's current costume though.

Her Odyssey costume was dope too. People (pervs) just want to see them juicy legs

Vyer

I would agree. Some N52 designs definitely don't work. Supes is not one of them. The new Superman costume is very clean, more updated but retains a lot of the classic elements. Batman' change happened before the N52, but I think it was a good one as well.

ReAxion

KuGsj.gif

I haven't read any Tim Sale books but looking at google, I'm down with it.

I haven't finished reading my pulls from this week. Only Sex Crims and Original Sin. :(

I would agree. Some N52 designs definitely don't work. Supes is not one of them. The new Superman costume is very clean, more updated but retains a lot of the classic elements. Batman' change happened before the N52, but I think it was a good one as well.

I think Supergirl's new look is a vast improvement over her cheerleader look shortly before N52. I have a fondness for some of her older styles, of course, but the new one just does something right for me. But then other looks don't work for me. Like Power Girl. I understand what they were trying to do, but her classic look is just better. Even if you covered up her boob window I'd still like the old look better. It's a case by case basis as in most things.

Sorry the New 52 is a sore spot for me.

I was reading a lot of DC before the relaunch, now it has dwindled down to almost nothing.
It pains me, I was always a DC boy.

What is your current pull list? When did you drop titles? I could recommend a number of books that I personally feel are thoroughly enjoyable. As someone who has read a vast chunk of the N52 I can safely say that I feel it is a much better place now than it was a year and a half ago when it seemed like we had creative changes every other issue.

fertygo

The Superman costume are fine, there are way more fault to pick from his new52 incarnation than that, screw spandex and pants + chin

dan2026

I think Supergirl's new look is a vast improvement over her cheerleader look shortly before N52. I have a fondness for some of her older styles, of course, but the new one just does something right for me.

What is your current pull list? When did you drop titles? I could recommend a number of books that I personally feel are thoroughly enjoyable.

For DC I am really only following Synder's Batman and Azzarello's Wonder Woman.
Although my interest is fading in both.

I just find that a lot of the DC characters and stories I enjoyed before the reboot are now gone for existence or changed in worse ways. Its probably irrational, but nothing feels right anymore.

To be fair Superman's costume change isn't the worst of the bunch. It just looks a bit crappy and unnecessary.

Filthy Slug

KuGsj.gif

I haven't read any Tim Sale books but looking at google, I'm down with it.

I haven't finished reading my pulls from this week. Only Sex Crims and Original Sin. :(

Yo, you should fix that:
  • Long Halloween
  • Superman for all Seasons
  • Tim Sale's Solo issue

Messi

Yeah, what I should have said was the movie was the best portrayal of her since issue 9 because they both involved every side of Harley's character. The movie and most recent issue did an excellent job of showing how smart she can be. How she can get in people's head and manipulate them.

It really was a fantastic issue, I loved how she resolved the situation with that totally rational dude who everyone loves dearly :(

People who think she is badly written should be reading this series, Jimmy and Amanda are avoiding 90% of the Juggalo shit. This version and the suicide squad version are like two different characters. jimmy and Amanda just get it. Now do a Catwoman and Harley issue.

For DC I am really only following Synder's Batman and Azzarello's Wonder Woman.
Although my interest is fading in both.

I just find that a lot of the DC characters and stories I enjoyed before the reboot are now gone for existence or changed in worse ways. Its probably irrational, but nothing feels right anymore.

To be fair Superman's costume change isn't the worst of the bunch. It just looks a bit crappy and unnecessary.

DAVID FINCH and some other dude will be on Wonder Woman later this year. I like Azzarello's take but it was starting to drag a bit. Batman Zero Year derailed the shit out of the title, screw prequels. Try to venture out and read characters outside of the big ones, they got all the good writers for some reason

I like some of the outfits, but Superman and Batman are just meh. Muddying up an iconic, simple design with a bunch of extraneous details nobody ever asked for. Why the fuck did Superman need armor?

NewSupermanCostume.jpg

Nu52 Batman is even worse, just all drab greys and blacks, busy over rendered lines and seams and shit

costume04-1332402148.jpg

Streamline it down, add some bright contrasting colors to stand out against the darkness, fuck your realism this is a Batman comic

batmanaparo.jpg

Batman_BTAS.jpg

dan2026

I am looking forward to Morrison's Multiversity though.

I love me some Morrison madness.

I agree with you JC. The costumes are over designed.
Why do we need all the seams and lines and fiddly bits.

It must be hell for the artists to draw and makes the costumes look cluttered.

Tony Daniel and some other dude will be on Wonder Woman later this year. I like Azzarello's take but it was starting to drag a bit. Batman Zero Year derailed the shit out of the title, screw prequels. Try to venture out and read characters outside of the big ones, they got all the good writers for some reason

Isn't Finch and wife taking over Wonder Woman with their bold new "let's integrate her into the DCU more" initiative?

I like some of the outfits, but Superman and Batman are just meh. Muddying up an iconic, simple design with a bunch of extraneous details nobody ever asked for. Why the fuck did Superman need armor?

NewSupermanCostume.jpg

Nu52 Batman is even worse, just all drab greys and blacks, busy over rendered lines and seams and shit

costume04-1332402148.jpg

Streamline it down, add some bright contrasting colors to stand out against the darkness, fuck your realism this is a Batman comic

batmanaparo.jpg

Batman_BTAS.jpg

Those new 52 panels look bad because of the artists.They look boss otherwise

Man if Yanick Paquette can't make your costume look good, you fucked up. Go back to the drawing board. He even makes codpiece/extra lines for no reason Batman Inc look like a good idea, almost

prv7008_pg5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom