• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

I ended up getting Marvel Unlimited. I'm going through the modern cosmic reading list and doing all of Annihilation. That'll probably take me a little while.

Any suggestions for when I'm finished? I'm pretty new to comics. I've read Ultimate Spider-Man up to the Death of Spider-Man saga and I read Hawkeye.

Did anyone pick up Terminal Hero last week? The art caught my attention and I've been really eager to ready it. Just waiting on my order to arrive...

Also, been interested in checking out Astro City. Consensus? Worth it? Where should I start?

Zombine

Banned
Did anyone pick up Terminal Hero last week? The art caught my attention and I've been really eager to ready it. Just waiting on my order to arrive...

My week got sort of messed up. I wanted to pick it up but I forgot about it. I'll be downloading it digitally tonight.

Edit: Speaking of Kowalski, Sex is a horrible book.

Say whaaa? Why do you think it's not good? But yes, more of the same. Which is to say, awesome.

The art is good and the new takes on the characters are interesting, but the story and pacing was off. I also disliked how a lot of the "shocking" scenes and situations felt more exploitative than being narrative or character drivers.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
So is anyone else crazy like me where if there's a book you've been really excited to read you'll only read it when the conditions are just right? For example, I've been really excited to start Doom Patrol the last couple days, but I was finishing up other books so couldn't start it quite yet. So I was planning to start it today and I was really excited about that, but then I ended up working a few more hours than I was expecting to and I got home a little more tired than I'd usually be and I don't feel the excitement to read Doom Patrol that I was feeling the last couple days, so I decided to read (already read it once a while back) Black Mirror which I picked up at the library yesterday instead. But I feel like I shouldn't "waste" a book I've been so excited about by reading it when the conditions aren't perfect.
I'm probably just sort of crazy. I wish I could be a little more carefree about what is, after all, a hobby that exists solely for my entertainment and pleasure. Haha
I really hope I actually do start it tomorrow though. Supposedly I have a short day at work tomorrow and most of the day off, so it should be the perfect day to dive right into it.

To be fair though, Black Mirror is really good.

Oh, and also, the only two other books I got from the library I haven't read yet are Pride of Baghdad by BKV and Captain America: Castaway in Dimension Z vol 1.
Is Pride of Baghdad worth reading? I don't really know anything about it, but even though I've got it right here to read and I really enjoy BKV, I just have no desire to read it. If you guys say it's worth reading though, I'll definitely read it.
And Castaway in Dimension Z vol 1. Is it worth reading just the first volume of that arc? I know the arc takes two TPB volumes to complete, but does at least some of the story wrap up, or would I be left on a total cliffhanger by just reading vol 1?

So is anyone else crazy like me where if there's a book you've been really excited to read you'll only read it when the conditions are just right? For example, I've been really excited to start Doom Patrol the last couple days, but I was finishing up other books so couldn't start it quite yet. So I was planning to start it today and I was really excited about that, but then I ended up working a few more hours than I was expecting to and I got home a little more tired than I'd usually be and I don't feel the excitement to read Doom Patrol that I was feeling the last couple days, so I decided to read (already read it once a while back) Black Mirror which I picked up at the library yesterday instead. But I feel like I shouldn't "waste" a book I've been so excited about by reading it when the conditions aren't perfect.
I'm probably just sort of crazy. I wish I could be a little more carefree about what is, after all, a hobby that exists solely for my entertainment and pleasure. Haha
I really hope I actually do start it tomorrow though. Supposedly I have a short day at work tomorrow and most of the day off, so it should be the perfect day to dive right into it.

To be fair though, Black Mirror is really good.

Oh, and also, the only two other books I got from the library I haven't read yet are Pride of Baghdad by BKV and Captain America: Castaway in Dimension Z vol 1.
Is Pride of Baghdad worth reading? I don't really know anything about it, but even though I've got it right here to read and I really enjoy BKV, I just have no desire to read it. If you guys say it's worth reading though, I'll definitely read it.
And Castaway in Dimension Z vol 1. Is it worth reading just the first volume of that arc? I know the arc takes two TPB volumes to complete, but does at least some of the story wrap up, or would I be left on a total cliffhanger by just reading vol 1?

This is exactly like me. I have a few things I need to read and I've just been sidetracked since getting them.
My week got sort of messed up. I wanted to pick it up but I forgot about it. I'll be downloading it digitally tonight.

Edit: Speaking of Kowalski, Sex is a horrible book.

Oh nice, let me know what you think!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
no, i'm kinda like that too. I haven't brought King City or my X-Statix omni to read at work for that very reason

Glad to know it's not just me. It feels a little dumb to put off reading something I know I'll enjoy. But if I know I'll enjoy it, I might as well read it when I know I can enjoy it the most?
This is the same reason I read mediocre books even when I have quite a lot of great books that are right up my alley piling up in my backlog. There's so much less pressure to really get the most out of mediocre books. Haha
Luckily I did finally read Immortal Iron Fist last week after having that in my backlog for over half a year. Haha. That book was definitely a victim of this odd mindset. Everything about it seemed like something I'd massively enjoy, so I had to save it for the right time.

This is exactly like me. I have a few things I need to read and I've just been sidetracked since getting them.

Thanks for making me feel less crazy, guys. Good to know I'm not alone. :p

tim1138

Also, been interested in checking out Astro City. Consensus? Worth it? Where should I start?

Astro City is awesome, you're totally fine starting with the first issue of the new series (it was meant to be new reader friendly) and going from there. If you like it, then by all means track down all of the trades, but you don't need to know the old stuff to understand or follow the new. If you're unfamiliar with the premise, Astro City is full of the standard super hero tropes and analogs of existing characters, the hook is that the book is just as much about the citizens of the city as it is it's heroes. It's full of slice of stories about the populace and the impact of the heroes and villains in their lives. It's absolutely brilliant and more people should read it.

Unai

My last IST trade just arrived!

10603878_828269260524844_7752420401616558037_o.jpg

Time to start reading!

Astro City is awesome, you're totally fine starting with the first issue of the new series (it was meant to be new reader friendly) and going from there. If you like it, then by all means track down all of the trades, but you don't need to know the old stuff to understand or follow the new. If you're unfamiliar with the premise, Astro City is full of the standard super hero tropes and analogs of existing characters, the hook is that the book is just as much about the citizens of the city as it is it's heroes. It's full of slice of stories about the populace and the impact of the heroes and villains in their lives. It's absolutely brilliant and more people should read it.

Yea I've heard bits and pieces about it; I knew that it was just as much a focus on the citizenship as the heroes/villains and that was very compelling. I'm considering checking it out from the very start. I thought it was an older series than it is; as well as one written by multiple people. Looks like the creator has kept it going since the beginning which is always good to hear. What is the actual title of the new series? There's a few things I'm seeing on Comixology that pop up.

I ended up getting Marvel Unlimited. I'm going through the modern cosmic reading list and doing all of Annihilation. That'll probably take me a little while.

Any suggestions for when I'm finished? I'm pretty new to comics. I've read Ultimate Spider-Man up to the Death of Spider-Man saga and I read Hawkeye.

This question comes up a lot and and it's kind of hard to answer without knowing what you're interested in. Do you want to try X-Men or a good Spider-Man run? Let us know so we don't just post a huge list of whatever.

For more stuff like Hawkeye, try:
Nextwave: Agents of HATE
The Superior Foes of Spider-Man (look this up in the "T" section)

Fintan

Rereading Watchmen. I never noticed before that the Comedian is 15/16 years old when he joins the Minutemen. A little weird.

Yea I've heard bits and pieces about it; I knew that it was just as much a focus on the citizenship as the heroes/villains and that was very compelling. I'm considering checking it out from the very start. I thought it was an older series than it is; as well as one written by multiple people. Looks like the creator has kept it going since the beginning which is always good to hear. What is the actual title of the new series? There's a few things I'm seeing on Comixology that pop up.

I would recommend starting from the beginning.

Volume 1.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/ASTRO-CITY-LIFE-IN-THE-BIG-CITY-TP-NEW-ED/APR110229

or

https://www.comixology.com/Astro-City-Life-in-the-Big-City-New-Edition/digital-comic/101738

tim1138

It's been around off and on since 1995 and has been the same creative team the entire time.

The new series is just called Astro City, it's the one that started last year.
In order of release the trades are:

Life in the Big City
Family Album
Confession
Tarnished Angels
Local Heroes
Dark Age book 1
Dark Age book 2
Shining Stars
Through Open Doors (this is the first trade of the new series)

The second trade of the new series comes out next month I believe.

Sanjuro

Not a big fan of digital content. I spend more money on gas seeking comic books then actually finding them.

Ventured to a store right off Cape Cod which never showed on Google Maps until the last week. Had the largest selection of back issues that I've ever seen in the area. Found a few more of the Image TMNT series that I needed, found random issues of the Batman story arc when I first got into books, spoke with the guy about random stuff for about forty minutes.

Overall a great comic book day.

It's been around off and on since 1995 and has been the same creative team the entire time.

The new series is just called Astro City, it's the one that started last year.
In order of release the trades are:

Life in the Big City
Family Album
Confession
Tarnished Angels
Local Heroes
Dark Age book 1
Dark Age book 2
Shining Stars
Through Open Doors (this is the first trade of the new series)

The second trade of the new series comes out next month I believe.

Awesome, thanks!

Kind of touched on this in another thread, but I figured I'd ask you guys as you're probably more knowledgable about this and I can give a more detailed post.

Why don't DC/Marvel release original full length novels set in their universes?

Not comics or long arcs, but full on novels with only words. Not adaptations of their movies or already done arcs like Final Crisis or Civil War. I'm talking about actual fully realized stories that are fleshed out by decent authors hired by Marvel or DC.

DC have released a few in the last few years, one based on Superman, another based on Superman and Batman, and most recently in 2012 with a story based around Thomas Wayne. I haven't checked out any of them but might try to check out the first two, along with a few Batman novels from earlier.

Marvel have not been so expansive. There were a string of Wolverine books in the mid 2000s, along with a few others based around Spider-Man, Fantastic 4, and Iron Man, among others. But those stopped in 2010 and since they have been releasing some major comic arts in novel adaptations, like Death of Captain America, Kraven's Last Hunt, and Astonishing X-Men. However, Dan Abnett did write a Groot and Rocket Raccoon "prose" novel that came out just last month, but it seems to be aimed more at children than adults.

Why not bring in a few authors to write one or two original novels a year? Completely original ideas or maybe based on cancelled story arcs that never saw the light of day. There has to be a decent sized market out there. Have they ever commented on anything like this?

Kind of touched on this in another thread, but I figured I'd ask you guys as you're probably more knowledgable about this and I can give a more detailed post.

Why don't DC/Marvel release original full length novels set in their universes?

Not comics or long arcs, but full on novels with only words. Not adaptations of their movies or already done arcs like Final Crisis or Civil War. I'm talking about actual fully realized stories that are fleshed out by decent authors hired by Marvel or DC.

DC have released a few in the last few years, one based on Superman, another based on Superman and Batman, and most recently in 2012 with a story based around Thomas Wayne. I haven't checked out any of them but might try to check out the first two, along with a few Batman novels from earlier.

Marvel have not been so expansive. There were a string of Wolverine books in the mid 2000s, along with a few others based around Spider-Man, Fantastic 4, and Iron Man, among others. But those stopped in 2010 and since they have been releasing some major comic arts in novel adaptations, like Death of Captain America, Kraven's Last Hunt, and Astonishing X-Men. However, Dan Abnett did write a Groot and Rocket Raccoon "prose" novel that came out just last month, but it seems to be aimed more at children than adults.

Why not bring in a few authors to write one or two original novels a year? Completely original ideas or maybe based on cancelled story arcs that never saw the light of day. There has to be a decent sized market out there. Have they ever commented on anything like this?

Comics are a visual art brah.

Messi

Yes, but that doesn't mean that you can't use comic characters in a novel.

What I mean to say is that I would love to see some novels based in the Marvel or DC universe. Not unlike novels based on movies, like Star Wars, or Aliens, or Star Trek, or whatever.

Like these?

MarvelBook-580x438.jpg

Yes, but that doesn't mean that you can't use comic characters in a novel.

What I mean to say is that I would love to see some novels based in the Marvel or DC universe. Not unlike novels based on movies, like Star Wars, or Aliens, or Star Trek, or whatever.

I think the problem with a novel is that it misses alot of what makes comic book characters effective. Besides surface level things like character and environment design, you can't do a comic book-esque fight in a novel. You can't even do a long action scene, because that kind of things work better when you see them play out. Introspective things like origins could work, maybe detective stories, but otherwise I could see it as an issue

I'm not experienced enough to know. It's just light and the color seems muted. Reminds me of the initial trade run of 100 Bullets, so it's probably old style.

The paper quality and colours in the first Scalp trade were so terrible, I turned to digital copies so I could read Scalp with my retinas intact.

Like these?

MarvelBook-580x438.jpg

wat

Are these...any good?

I think the problem with a novel is that it misses alot of what makes comic book characters effective. Besides surface level things like character and environment design, you can't do a comic book-esque fight in a novel. You can't even do a long action scene, because that kind of things work better when you see them play out. Introspective things like origins could work, maybe detective stories, but otherwise I could see it as an issue

This could be an issue for some authors and some IPs, yeah. But then again I've read, and loved, Jon Maberry's books which feature tons of authentic and awesome hand to hand fights. He's had experience writing comics and I could definitely see him writing a novel set in the Marvel Universe.

So really that limits some of the more fantastical characters, but really is it any crazier than some of the more zany universes that have a ton of books already out? Like Warhammer or whatever else?

I can't agree with the argument that it cannot be done to a high enough quality to satisfy the big two, but I suppose I could buy it if they can't find anybody to do it. Even if it is a bit weak.

I'll enjoy comics forever but I personally get far more immersed in novels than really anything else. It's just something I'd selfishly like to see.

Good jumping on point?

Maybe! Not sure yet but it sounds pretty cool. I just like the art. Especially the hairstyle.

http://www.newsarama.com/21880-coul...e-time-warner-result-in-marvel-dc-merger.html

Disney to bid on Time Warner (The parent company of DC), Superman and Batman soon to be Avengers?

Welll.. This would kinda break the comicbook industry... Really hope that this wont happen...

This really would be the worst thing that could happen.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Since we're talking about Astro City, I think we all can agree which arc is arguably the best one.

vEHhMqL.jpg

Is there any part of Astro City that shouldnt be read?

I found the dark age to be a series that dragged on WAY to long. Its a shame really since heading into it, i thought it'd be the best thing in Astro city. Its not bad, but I did find it disapointing

Edit:

Trouble on the statue front!

I received a number of new items and that is great, however I had two mishaps. In one they were supposed to ship me both the Shazam and Black Adam statues but only Black Adam arrived. But I just got off the phone with the seller and they're sending the other one out now. So that's good

The worse news is a bowen Wolvie statue arrived but it appears the arm was broken during the shipping. So i've gotta get a return/refund on it. :(

Messi

I need to remove myself from the Hot Toys section on Sideshow Collectibles. The Guardians of the Galaxy were all in my cart. Sans Drax as he is not up for order yet.

Zombine

Banned
I need to remove myself from the Hot Toys section on Sideshow Collectibles. The Guardians of the Galaxy were all in my cart. Sans Drax as he is not up for order yet.

I want one that isn't based on a human actor. I don't like having actor based merch that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom