• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MG310

Got my SDCC exclusives in the mail today from Hasbro. They continue to kill it with the ridiculous packaging.

DSCN3796.jpg

DSCN3799.jpg

DSCN3800.jpg

MG310

It was 100 for 5 figures, so right in line with normal retail pricing now.

That Infinity Gauntlet set for 75 dollars was ridiculous though considering the 3 3/4 figures are 10 dollars, Thanos has been released several times, Death is a statue and Nebula/Starfox are pretty much straight repaints.

phoenixyz

So a friend who knows I read comics asked me what I could recommend when it comes to superhero stuff by Marvel (after watching the movies he wants more). Sadly, I don't know much about Marvel, so are there some recent great arcs for any of the Marvel-Cinematic-Universe-famous heroes?
Also, I will totally try to sell him on Image books (and Zero Year) :D

Messi

So a friend who knows I read comics asked me what I could recommend when it comes to superhero stuff by Marvel (after watching the movies he wants more). Sadly, I don't know much about Marvel, so are there some recent great arcs for any of the Marvel-Cinematic-Universe-famous heroes?

All of Thor God of Thunder is fantastic and great for someone who enjoys Thor from the movies.

Most here will recommend Hawkeye by Fraction. I will just echo that. Fantastic series. Reads best in trades.

Black Widow is also fantastic. Notos art is so distinctive. Trade just came out too.

Loki has a book at the moment and it is really good in my opinion.

All new X-Men is good for newbies. I really enjoy it and it features people from the movies and it involves some time travel.

Spider-Man is having a difficult time right now but I really enjoyed Bendis on ultimate comics Spider-Man. Miles-Man is really cool and it starts from his origin. Sames goes for Superior Spider-Man. That was a good read but it's not from the movies. It's not even Peter.

Rocket Racoon by Skottie Young is visually stunning and a hilarious read thus far. Only two issues in though.

Edit

Speaking of movie characters. Since I got back into comics I have read little to no Iron Man, is his book any good or is it not worth bothering with. Also is Avengers regular worth buying.

Batman Beyond 2.0 #29: More revelations.
Barbara lost the baby after getting beat up in a street brawl. Bruce encounters Andrea again. We learn that she is hunting Jake Chill (Vigilante) so she can kill him and ensure Terry doesn't have to face the temptation of killing him, himself. Terry locates the jokers who have captured and joker gassed Jake.

Good stuff!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
All of Thor God of Thunder is fantastic and great for someone who enjoys Thor from the movies.

Most here will recommend Hawkeye by Fraction. I will just echo that. Fantastic series. Reads best in trades.

Black Widow is also fantastic. Notos art is so distinctive. Trade just came out too.

Loki has a book at the moment and it is really good in my opinion.

All new X-Men is good for newbies. I really enjoy it and it features people from the movies and it involves some time travel.

Spider-Man is having a difficult time right now but I really enjoyed Bendis on ultimate comics Spider-Man. Miles-Man is really cool and it starts from his origin. Sames goes for Superior Spider-Man. That was a good read but it's not from the movies. It's not even Peter.

Rocket Racoon by Skottie Young is visually stunning and a hilarious read thus far. Only two issues in though.

Edit

Speaking of movie characters. Since I got back into comics I have read little to no Iron Man, is his book any good or is it not worth bothering with. Also is Avengers regular worth buying.

Buy Matt Fractions Iron Man Run. Its fantastic and also includes lots of strong female characters like a fantastic Pepper Potts doing Superhero Stuff.

You will love it

Apparently, Steven Universe #1 doesn't exist physically. :/

Just picked up Robocop #1, The Woods #1, The Strain #1, and The Star Wars #1, I'm adding all four to my list. These comics are FANTASTIC.
I didn't pick up Steven Universe volume 1. Preview said it was more like a children's doodle book yhan a comic.

I work with the most single celled people on Earth.

Well damn. I was about to catch up on some Deadpool and then realized I'd have to buy the whole Gauntlet series and that apparently the price of new issues has been upped to $4. Marvel is gonna make me use their Unlimited service as the only way I read their stuff.

EDIT: And Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman #1 sucks

Well damn. I was about to catch up on some Deadpool and then realized I'd have to buy the whole Gauntlet series and that apparently the price of new issues has been upped to $4. Marvel is gonna make me use their Unlimited service as the only way I read their stuff.

EDIT: And Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman #1 sucks
Why does this comic have to suck? Goddam. Can we just get a comic featuring Wonder Woman properly?

Why does this comic have to suck? Goddam. Can we just get a comic featuring Wonder Woman properly?

She probably is just gonna need another reboot. They keep trying to use her old enemies and stories and they just don't work. Brian Azzarello's run is good but didn't sell all that well (not as good as one of the trinity should anyway). Maybe they should try giving her a new suit (or pants) and sending her into space to flesh out DC's cosmic stuff.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just finished the first arc of Doom Patrol. This is great stuff. Already the plots are as crazy/innovative/awesome as the Animal Man stuff. I'm really looking forward to even more characterization which you guys were raving about. The characters already have very distinct personalities though, which is great.

Hawkeye is always a good choice!

If he liked Guardians of the Galaxy then have him check out the series by Abnett and Lanning since Gunn used it as inspiration.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man is fantastic and easy to jump into too. It's a comedy book and despite the title, it has nothing to do with Spidey. It's about a team of loser supervillains just trying to hit it big. The art for it is great and you don't need any prior knowledge to really enjoy the team.
Just finished the first arc of Doom Patrol. This is great stuff. Already the plots are as crazy/innovative/awesome as the Animal Man stuff. I'm really looking forward to even more characterization which you guys were raving about. The characters already have very distinct personalities though, which is great.
Felt the same way, I need to order the next few volumes but I have so much to read :(

"With Axel Alonso in Korea, Marvel Executive Editor atom Brevoort pinch hits and talks yhe "Guardians film amd Shield comic."

Marvel ai know you read my post, hire me.

I didn't pick up Steven Universe volume 1. Preview said it was more like a children's doodle book yhan a comic.

I read it digitally and agree to a point. The main story was not noteworthy, but it kept the spirit from the show and the characters were just as if you were to watch an episode. (A boring one, though.) The art and style of the comic was a mess of colors and didn't portray the setting or characters in the way that it should have.

The extra comics inside were much better and looked fantastic, though. To me, they made the purchase worthwhile.
Still, if you are not a fan of the show, it's not going to change your mind.

Wait is Robocop worth picking up?
Yes.
And I don't know anything about Robocop.
It's pretty damn great.
The set-up is really interesting and the art is swell.

Messi

Any of you folks read "She Lies at Midnight" by Adam Hughes? It was a short story in Batman black and white #4. It's a pretty perfect Selina tale. Plus the art is amazing.

batman-bw-catwoman.jpg

Go read it.

Also find Maris Wicks Harley from Batman black and white also.

Art is lovely by Joe Quinones and the story is classic Harley and Ivy.

I love this panel because of Harley

Batman-black-and-white-1-6.jpg

My two shipments came in in the span of two days.

Rocket Raccoon #1, #2
Legendary Star Lord #1, #2
Batman (New 52) Vol 3
Deadpool (Marvel Now) Vol 3
Guardians of the Galaxy Ultimate Collection Vol 1
Thor: God of Thunder: Godbomb
Uncanny X-Force Ultimate Collection Vol 1

54743-tom-cruise-tropic-thunder-danc-6cPy.gif

Hagi

How about 0 out of 4? D:

Ugh, fighting with my GF because I watched The Walking Dead's first season by myself.
Now she doesn't want to read the comic anymore.
I feel like I did her a favor.

Not even Predator? next it'll be you haven't seen Terminator 1 or 2.

How is the comic these days? I've only read up to just past the Prison arc and it was pretty good.

My two shipments came in in the span of two days.

Rocket Raccoon #1, #2
Legendary Star Lord #1, #2
Batman (New 52) Vol 3
Deadpool (Marvel Now) Vol 3
Guardians of the Galaxy Ultimate Collection Vol 1
Thor: God of Thunder: Godbomb
Uncanny X-Force Ultimate Collection Vol 1

54743-tom-cruise-tropic-thunder-danc-6cPy.gif
Got some good reads in there!

I think I'm gonna start rereading X-Force today. I haven't read it in years and I'm really excited to revisit it. I never finished the series though, so the wait for the second Complete Collection is gonna be long.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Not even Predator? next it'll be you haven't seen Terminator 1 or 2.

How is the comic these days? I've only read up to just past the Prison arc and it was pretty good.
Paging Zombine, our resident (and only) Walking Dead reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom