• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Jake Wyatt. Colors by Ian Henning.

That's the same guy who did the Ms. Marvel stuff that had Wolverine in it that people were posting images of some pages back? I like those pages Spike posted waaaaaaaay more than those Wolverine pages.

Zombine

Banned
If you want it to be!

Or it could be the Marvel event cycle.

Endless possibilities!

But really, anyone who ever watched DBZ back when it first aired, before Funimation got ahold of it, knows the experience of watching the Saiyan Saga through the Ginyu Squad fight over and over again. Toonami made a huge deal about it when they finally had new episodes to air.

Man I'm getting all nostalgic. I remember when I could turn on Cartoon Network during the anime boom and they aired freaking Gigantor early in the morning.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
District 14. There's also the Incal and all those associated books. I'm looking to try out a few like Koma but it's hard to find at a reasonable price

I just read a bit about it and first thing I thought was Barbar as a gonzo journalist. Incal looks lengthy though and I've already got several long series lined up.

Man I'm getting all nostalgic. I remember when I could turn on Cartoon Network during the anime boom and they aired freaking Gigantor early in the morning.

For me it was Robotech, G-Force / Battle of the Planets,
New Adventures of Johnny Quest
, etc.

Haha. Holy shit. And out of curiousity I just looked up the comic versions of some of these things and discovered that Battle of the Planets had comic crossovers with Witchblade and Thundercats.

Because why not. Topcow appears to have given zero fucks.

Kipp

Just remembered I still have Mark Waid's Daredevil vol 2 OHC to read. Awesome.

Also, I feel like by tomorrow my frugality will finally break and I'll order a couple more Hellboy Library Editions.

Zombine

Banned
For me it was Robotech, G-Force / Battle of the Planets,
New Adventures of Johnny Quest
, etc.

Haha. Holy shit. And out of curiousity I just looked up the comic versions of some of these things and discovered that Battle of the Planets had comic crossovers with Witchblade and Thundercats.

Because why not.

Speaking of Battle of the Planets and tying Gatchaman into comics, a while back Best Buy had the Alex Ross anniversary blu-ray set for like $40 and I picked it up:

gatchaman.jpg

Yeah, it's fucking awesome.

Kipp

So you're saying I should buy myself a Batman costume?

Aziz is the best. Thanks for the encouragement/inspiration. Haha

Edit: Also, you reminded me that I should totally start rewatching Parks & Rec. Hopefully I'll use my day off tomorrow to read a ton of Doom Patrol and watch a ton of Parks & Rec.

One of my favorite comics. Absolutely perfect, and you don't even realize how emotionally attached you become to these characters because of how fucking absurd it all is, but then you get hit with the Drywall stuff and the relationship stuff and then you're just maybe shedding some tears and enjoying every panel and page. (I totally got Scud's heartbreaker symbol for a tattoo after reading it a while back.)

18 bones for one of the best comic book experiences ever. Scud: The Whole Shebang
aw dang it's unavailable at the moment. Hopefully it'll be back in stock when i decide i want to make another IST order

Zombine

Banned
So you're saying I should buy myself a Batman costume?

Aziz is the best. Thanks for the encouragement/inspiration. Haha

Edit: Also, you reminded me that I should totally start rewatching Parks & Rec. Hopefully I'll use my day off tomorrow to read a ton of Doom Patrol and watch a ton of Parks & Rec.

My girlfriend and I re watch that and Reno 911 all the time. Those shows are hilarious.

arkon

That's the same guy who did the Ms. Marvel stuff that had Wolverine in it that people were posting images of some pages back? I like those pages Spike posted waaaaaaaay more than those Wolverine pages.

Doesn't look like Wyatt to me. Unless he's changed up the style drastically from issue 6. This: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=23077 is what I'd expect from him. The hair for example. Looks like Alphona as per the first 5 issues.

I just read a bit about it and first thing I thought was Barbar as a gonzo journalist. Incal looks lengthy though and I've already got several long series lined up.

Well the elephant is more like hired muscle than actual journalist. But yeah the style is reminiscent of that. I love it though and the worldbuilding is suitably different enough to make it interesting for me. This sums it up quite well: http://ifanboy.com/articles/review-district-14-season-one/

The Incal, you can just read the one hardcover (I've only read that and like tim said above need to get to other things like Metabarons eventually) but there are other series for you as well. It's not really that long.

Kipp

Doesn't look like Wyatt to me. Unless he's changed up the style drastically from issue 6. This: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=23077 is what I'd expect from him. The hair for example. Looks like Alphona as per the first 5 issues.

Yeah, looks a lot more like Alphona to me too. For some reason Alphona's art hadn't caught my eye before, but it's brilliant.

My girlfriend and I re watch that and Reno 911 all the time. Those shows are hilarious.

Nice. :p
I'm actually really surprised I haven't rewatched P&R already. It seems like I would've/should've by now.

Thanks to everyone for talking about Scud and reminding me that I haven't finished reading my Whole Shebang hardcover.

Also, what's up with the prices on that thing? Why do I own a collection that is being sold for $300-$500 dollars? WHY??? WHY?!?

Kipp

Thanks to everyone for talking about Scud and reminding me that I haven't finished reading my Whole Shebang hardcover.

Also, what's up with the prices on that thing? Why do I own a collection that is being sold for $300-$500 dollars? WHY??? WHY?!?

Sell it, buy the paperback, buy many more comics.

That's what I'd do at least. Haha

samueeL

Banned
Hmh, wanted to start reading Star Wars Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Omnibuses but they're out of stock basically everywhere for decent price. Any idea if Dark Horse will reprint these before license goes to marvel? :(

Zombine

Banned
Hmh, wanted to start reading Star Wars Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Omnibuses but they're out of stock basically everywhere for decent price. Any idea if Dark Horse will reprint these before license goes to marvel? :(

Nope. Kiss your favorite stories goodbye. Get whatever you can right now. The likelihood of Marvel reprinting a majority of these books is slim to none.

Nope. Kiss your favorite stories goodbye. Get whatever you can right now. The likelihood of Marvel reprinting a majority of these books is slim to none.
Yep. Not only would Marvel/Disney have to purchase the original material from Dark Horse in order to reprint them (which they won't do, as they're only interested in publishing new SW comics), but fans have until December 2014 to purchase their digital comics from Dark Horse too; after that, you'll still be able to read what you already bought but you won't be able to purchase what you didn't.

samueeL

Banned
Well that sucks and I'm way too late to buy stuff right now, shit... Oh well, my fault I guess. Sucks to lose this great Star Wars stories. Been slowly hunting Star Wars: Tales trades but man that's hard stuff to get in good price here. Owning 1-3 and 6 right now at least.

Tried my luck to order Knights of the old republic vol. 1 as new, probably will get message that "sorry, error on website, out of stock" next week since it said shipment in 4-7 weeks.

Bii

Sell it, buy the paperback, buy many more comics.

That's what I'd do at least. Haha

I would do the same. ^_^

-

Legendary Star-Lord #1

Fresh off of reading Abnett's run on Guardians of the Galaxy, I was rather let down by this Star-Lord stand-alone (I know I shouldn't compare, but still). Peter Quill gets into some deep ish when the Badoons are out looking for him, seeking an artifact that Peter has in his possession. The story progression feels very safe and there aren't a lot of "wow" moments. As a matter of fact, I was only really excited when I saw cameos of other characters, namely the one shot of Groot and Rocket Raccoon singing karaoke with Peter. I'll probably skip issue #2 and see how others are liking it if I decide to stick with it.

-

Original Sin #3.3: Hulk vs. Iron Man #3

Saw this in my stack of books as I was looking for something to read; my LCS must've thrown it in there whenever I picked up my weekly stuff. This is just a good old classic versus book. I wasn't expecting much and came out pleasantly surprised. I guess Tony did some fucked up things to Banner and now Hulk is out for revenge. I have no idea what Tony did so I'm a bit curious to see what it was. Someone can spoiler it for me if you've been reading this, or maybe I'll pick up #3.4 to find out.

Who wants the Marvel digital code to Original Sin #3.3? First person to reply requesting it gets my PM.

Well that sucks and I'm way too late to buy stuff right now, shit... Oh well, my fault I guess. Sucks to lose this great Star Wars stories. Been slowly hunting Star Wars: Tales trades but man that's hard stuff to get in good price here. Owning 1-3 and 6 right now at least.

Tried my luck to order Knights of the old republic vol. 1 as new, probably will get message that "sorry, error on website, out of stock" next week since it said shipment in 4-7 weeks.

Are you in the US?

Zombine

Banned
Bahahaha Assault on Arkham. I'm having a hard time hating this movie. It's so bad it's good.

Deadshot's voice actor is horrible.

Apparently, Steven Universe #1 doesn't exist physically. :/

Just picked up Robocop #1, The Woods #1, The Strain #1, and The Star Wars #1, I'm adding all four to my list. These comics are FANTASTIC.

Apparently, Steven Universe #1 doesn't exist physically. :/

Just picked up Robocop #1, The Woods #1, The Strain #1, and The Star Wars #1, I'm adding all four to my list. These comics are FANTASTIC.

hmmm? Those totally exist in physical form. I think i saw some at SDCC and at my LCS

Legendary Star-Lord #1

Fresh off of reading Abnett's run on Guardians of the Galaxy, I was rather let down by this Star-Lord stand-alone (I know I shouldn't compare, but still). Peter Quill gets into some deep ish when the Badoons are out looking for him, seeking an artifact that Peter has in his possession. The story progression feels very safe and there aren't a lot of "wow" moments. As a matter of fact, I was only really excited when I saw cameos of other characters, namely the one shot of Groot and Rocket Raccoon singing karaoke with Peter. I'll probably skip issue #2 and see how others are liking it if I decide to stick with it.
Yeah, Rocket Raccoon is currently the best Cosmic Marvel book out right now. Didn't even waste time with Star-Lord, I had a feeling I wouldn't like it so I didn't bother.

Guardians 3000 is gonna be great though!

When does Abnett's Cosmic run end? With Annihilators? Is it like an actual ending type of thing, or should I just stop with Thanos Imperative (since that felt like an ending to everything)?

When does Abnett's Cosmic run end? With Annihilators? Is it like an actual ending type of thing, or should I just stop with Thanos Imperative (since that felt like an ending to everything)?
Just stop with Thanos imperative. The annihilators should have been amazing but it felt disappointing and my interest fizzled out

MG310

I hate this weird post-AVX purgatory the Bendis books are stuck in...especially compared to how much has gone on in Uncanny Avengers in the same amount of time.

It's male Starhawk lol

I know. Just saying. :(

Anyone interested in Second Chance at Sarah coming out this week? It's by Neil Druckmann. The Creative director of The Last of Us.
As his wife Sarah lies dying, John makes a deal with a demon for a desperate chance to save her! Transported to their childhood, John gets a single day to prevent the tragedy that led to Sarah's present-day doom, all while trying to convince her that he really is who he says!

Preview here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom