• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still working my way through the Scud the Disposable Assassin omnibus (take that Fear Agent vol 2!) and I'm absolutely in love with the sheer madness of this series. I think Drywall is my new favorite character ever, and what's not to love about a walking sentient zipper bag who speaks in squiggles? Also he can store an infinite amount of stuff inside him, so I guess he's closer to a sentient version of Santa's bag with some bondage inspired zippers for good measure.
It had a very obvious influence on Ryan Browne and God Hates Astronauts, but not in a way where he ripped Scud off.
It's pretty fantastic and anyone who likes good comics should check it out (so only about half the people who post here).

I hate how SCUD the Disposable Assassin seems so forgotten. Its like the one book that's just about how awesome drawing comics are. Lot of wacky ideas to distract Rob Schrab from the break-up he suffered, and then the book went on a decade long hiatus after ANOTHER break-up he got depressed by.

Zombine

Banned
I hate how SCUD the Disposable Assassin seems so forgotten. Its like the one book that's just about how awesome drawing comics are. Lot of wacky ideas to distract Rob Schrab from the break-up he suffered, and then the book went on a decade long hiatus after ANOTHER break-up he got depressed by.

Not forgotten, just not talked about here. SCUD, Grendel, Mad Man, ect. Are amazing books that don't get a lot of love here.

Not forgotten, just not talked about here. SCUD, Grendel, Mad Man, ect. Are amazing books that don't get a lot of love here.
I'm game. What's a good way to start scud & mad man. Those two plus things like concrete are comics I know of but never read. I recently bought the Grendel omnibuses from IST

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Still working my way through the Scud the Disposable Assassin omnibus (take that Fear Agent vol 2!) and I'm absolutely in love with the sheer madness of this series. I think Drywall is my new favorite character ever, and what's not to love about a walking sentient zipper bag who speaks in squiggles? Also he can store an infinite amount of stuff inside him, so I guess he's closer to a sentient version of Santa's bag with some bondage inspired zippers for good measure.
It had a very obvious influence on Ryan Browne and God Hates Astronauts, but not in a way where he ripped Scud off.
It's pretty fantastic and anyone who likes good comics should check it out (so only about half the people who post here).

One of my favorite comics. Absolutely perfect, and you don't even realize how emotionally attached you become to these characters because of how fucking absurd it all is, but then you get hit with the Drywall stuff and the relationship stuff and then you're just maybe shedding some tears and enjoying every panel and page. (I totally got Scud's heartbreaker symbol for a tattoo after reading it a while back.)

I'm game. What's a good way to start scud & mad man. Those two plus things like concrete are comics I know of but never read. I recently bought the Grendel omnibuses from IST

18 bones for one of the best comic book experiences ever. Scud: The Whole Shebang

tim1138

Have you read his "But I Can't Do Anything Else" hardcover? I know it's full of sketches and pitches for various Hollywood projects during the ten year delay in finishing up SCUD. I'm still waiting for the library to get my requested copy in, I expect it to be full of excellence.

Filthy Slug said:
One of my favorite comics. Absolutely perfect, and you don't even realize how emotionally attached you become to these characters because of how fucking absurd it all is, but then you get hit with the Drywall stuff and the relationship stuff and then you're just maybe shedding some tears and enjoying every panel and page. (I totally got Scud's heartbreaker symbol for a tattoo after reading it a while back.)

Right? It's one of the most absurd things I've ever read but the story is amazing. I'm totally not kidding about Drywall becoming my favorite character, I love that little guy. I seriously feared for him during the shootout in the town after Jeff shows up. That's a pretty great idea for a tattoo, very cool.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I love it too, but I think Marvel considers it dated at this point. I don't mind his current comics costume much but I hate the chinstrap.

I rather think that they changed it because it looked silly in a movie, and to have it on line with the comics, they changed it there, too :(

I hope they return to it on some point in the future.

PsychBat!

Banned
New artist on All-New Ghost Rider. Looks a little better, I'll still be reading it.
for now
GHOSTR2014006-int2-3-7ced8.jpg

Owzers

Finished Midnight Nation tpb, it was an interesting read and i breezed through it fairly fast as i really wanted to see where it was ending up. Parts left me confused, namely
the rules seemed to drastically shift at the end when it gets to " oh she lied about your journey". So everyone she has taken the trip with has either died on the way, let her kill them before they go to new york, or chose to keep their soul and became a walker...hmmmm

Anyway, it's a bit old i think but if you skipped it, check it out. Random 7.5/10

Hagi

Has anyone read and is reading the Jake Ellis books? Was thinking about picking up Who Is after reading the free #1 I got from that Image promotion a while back. I haven't really read anything Edmondson has done outside Punisher and Widow.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

18 bones for one of the best comic book experiences ever. Scud: The Whole Shebang

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten about Scud. I really want to read that. Unfortunately it's out of stock right now on IST.
You guys are making it sound awesome though. I'll definitely find somewhere to pick it up eventually.

Concrete and Madman are two other things I'd really like to read. It's a shame those giant Madman hardcovers are so OOP and expensive. I'd probably be all over those.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Has anyone posted this news yet? Bendis' is planning a storyline where the Guardians go to the Symbiote homeplanet, and we get to see it for the "first time".

I guess Bendis is continuing to not bother actually reading anything about the characters and stuff he uses in his books. I miss the good Guardians of the Galaxy and Agent Venom books.

Great, so he wants to squeeze the final goods out of the Venom Symbiote?

Awful, so awful...

Edit: LOL, is this cover a joke? So the Symbiotes have always a Spider of their chest? What kind of stupidity is this nonsense????

SRG01

Great, so he wants to squeeze the final goods out of the Venom Symbiote?

Awful, so awful...

Edit: LOL, is this cover a joke? So the Symbiotes have always a Spider of their chest? What kind of stupidity is this nonsense????

Venom symbiote merges with other symbiotes. Suddenly all Venom symbiotes because of mixing?

Sort of like the founders in DS9 perhaps?

dan2026

I've always thought Bendis was one of Marvel's most inconsistantly mediocre creators.

But for some reason he is still considered one of their a++ talents.

Damned if I know.

Hagi

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I haven't checked out United States of Murder, but Powers is great. I haven't read Alias, but I'm definitely getting the omnibus reprint in September.

Alias is releasing in September? Well, then I will definitly buy it, October and November where to overflooded with Trades and Games, but in September I would have the money.

Edit: We see the Symbiot planet for the first time? What was then this?:

Spider-man-planet.jpg

Drayco21

Alias is releasing in September? Well, then I will definitly buy it, October and November where to overflooded with Trades and Games, but in September I would have the money.

Edit: We see the Symbiot planet for the first time? What was then this?:

Well technically, it was just a planet that the Symbiotes had conquered. Because Galactus ate their home planet. Maybe he just got indigestion or something afterwards.

Assault on Arkham was like...I don't even know if I hated it or loved it. It was like all the trashy elements of modern superhero comics in one movie

Latest IST order. I ordered just for the Ray Fawkes books from the glowing reviews it was getting. We3 and Y were my add-ons for free shipping.

BvGmX12IYAAkO8p.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Bendis has way too much pull right now and that's unfortunate. If we judged talent by DBZ power levels he would be a Yamcha at best.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Finally started Morrison's Doom Patrol! Just read the first two issues and I'm really enjoying it. It really doesn't waste any time getting going. I can already tell this is going to be a wild ride.

That first page put a HUGE, Kamala -esque smile on my face for the first time all day.

WHO IS THAT ARTIST? That's incredible.

Is this a DC reboot joke

If you want it to be!

Or it could be the Marvel event cycle.

Endless possibilities!

But really, anyone who ever watched DBZ back when it first aired, before Funimation got ahold of it, knows the experience of watching the Saiyan Saga through the Ginyu Squad fight over and over again. Toonami made a huge deal about it when they finally had new episodes to air.

arkon

Does anyone have any Euro comic recommendations other than Blacksad, Universal War One and Disney related stuff?

District 14. There's also the Incal and all those associated books. I'm looking to try out a few like Koma but it's hard to find at a reasonable price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom