• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Here's a trivia question I've been kicking around in my head this weekend. Of the long running super hero characters/teams, which are the ones that's had the longest amount of quality?

I've boiled it down to 3 but I'm sure I'm missing some:
- Spider-man. It had a dark era in the 90s but everything up to that always seemed to be good or great. The character started out with a bang so little ramp up time was needed
- Batman. I can't peak for the early early stuff but the batman books seemed to have great suff 60s+ fairly regularly. Especially when you consider the off shoot minis, one shots, etc. The character never hit any real long lows since I've been reading in the early 90s
- x-men. Started slow but basically since Claremont was in the book for so long made me think it'd be a top 3 book.

I'd be interested to see if I've missed some. I considered hulk due to PAD but there seems to be too many other gaps. Maybe daredevil or cap?

It's got to be Daredevil, right? Miller, Bendis, Brubaker, Waid, and not too much else in between.

Zombine

Banned
YsH4U7I.jpg

"And then I told em yea I'll finish all star batman"

It's a shame that he is so sick. I am hoping that he pulls through. He's supposedly battling Cancer on the DL, but at this point it doesn't look like a secret.

The correct answer is Hellblazer, if we're talking one single title. Characters like Batman have a million different books all the time, chances are one of them will be good, cheater. Same thing for the "X-Men", that nebulous term for any and all books with mutants. Even in the dreaded 90s, you had Alan Davis' Excalibur, Ellis' Excalibur, Jim Lee's X-Men, Lobdell/Bachalo Generation X, Hama's Wolverine, etc.

frye

^^^e: actually i change my answer to that

JLA was a great comic for like three consecutive writers (and then got really bad)

Wanted to show COMICS! GAF this as they'd appreciate it. An old professor of mine posted this on his Facebook a few days ago. It's a drawing he did inspired both by Captain America and the events in Ferguson this past week. He's got such a unique style; all the credit to him, John Jennings, for this great image:

10568959_10203315575745033_2804233560517081468_n.jpg

Ephidel

I'm actually really looking forward to this but having read the interview I just can't help it.
It's a daunting task, for sure, but one well worth it for Fraction, who wanted to write an adventure story for his 4-year-old daughter
the world "looks like a universe that Lady Gaga designed" — with influences ranging from Barbarella and Moebius to Hindu iconography and burlesque and fetish wear
Nope, that's not creepy at all.

Friday was my birthday so of course I spent a few hours buying up some comics. Here is my haul.

Velvet vol 1 by Brubaker and Epting

Captain America: Castaway in Dimension Z vol 1 and 2 by Remender and Romita JR
Just started reading it. Romita's artwork looks amazing when colored by Dean White. White is a master

Marvel Knights Spider-man: Fight Night by Kindt and Rudy
Looks trippy as hell and that art is something else. I never really heard of this one but it looks great. Anyone here read it?

Journey Into Mystery vol 1 by Gillen and Braithwaite
Loved it. Seeing Young Loki go around trying to manipulate so many players that are way above his power level is super interesting. Now I'll have to buy all the following volumes.

Sex Criminals vol 1 by Fraction and Zdarsky
Already one of my favorite comic series ever

Black Widow vol 1 by Edmonson and Noto

Black Science vol 1

Saga vol 3 by Vaughn and Staples

Supreme Blue Rose #1 by Ellis and Lotay
The only single I bought. The art is gorgeous and the story is...well I'm not sure yet Ellis typically delivers. Is anyone familiar with this artist? I've never heard of them before.

Fear Agent vol 1, 2 and 3 by Remender, Moore and Opena

Zombine

Banned
Friday was my birthday so of course I spent a few hours buying up some comics. Here is my haul.

Velvet vol 1 by Brubaker and Epting

Captain America: Castaway in Dimension Z vol 1 and 2 by Remender and Romita JR
Just started reading it. Romita's artwork looks amazing when colored by Dean White. White is a master

Looks trippy as hell and that art is something else. I never really heard of this one but it looks great. Anyone here read it?

Journey Into Mystery vol 1 by Gillen and Braithwaite
Loved it. Seeing Young Loki go around trying to manipulate so many players that are way above his power level is super interesting. Now I'll have to buy all the following volumes.

Sex Criminals vol 1 by Fraction and Zdarsky
Already one of my favorite comic series ever

Black Widow vol 1 by Edmonson and Noto

Black Science vol 1

Saga vol 3 by Vaughn and Staples

Supreme Blue Rose #1 by Ellis and Lotay
The only single I bought. The art is gorgeous and the story is...well I'm not sure yet Ellis typically delivers. Is anyone familiar with this artist? I've never heard of them before.

Fear Agent vol 1, 2 and 3 by Remender, Moore and Opena

Happy belated birthday! No complaints here, you did well with your haul!

Velvet is mein waifu.

Ugh it's just so obnoxious. I'm not about to cast full judgement on someone I don't know
personally, but he comes off as pretentious more than intelligent.

When I think intelligence, I think of Snyder.

I know what you mean; he's responsible for a bunch of great stuff so he seems like he's got it but he does have an air about him. Still, I love his stuff and don't hold it against him. Perhaps it's just a result of the outlet responsible for the article...

Zombine

Banned
I know what you mean; he's responsible for a bunch of great stuff so he seems like he's got it but he does have an air about him. Still, I love his stuff and don't hold it against him. Perhaps it's just a result of the outlet responsible for the article...

Him and KSD are like the Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow of Comics.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Great story that really serves to introduce Marco Rudy's artistic madness to the mainstream. The concept is actually really cool, as Spider-Man has to fight 99 of his most deadly ass enemies, but the art is really what you'll be reading for. It's fucking stunning.

Wanted to show COMICS! GAF this as they'd appreciate it. An old professor of mine posted this on his Facebook a few days ago. It's a drawing he did inspired both by Captain America and the events in Ferguson this past week. He's got such a unique style; all the credit to him, John Jennings, for this great image:

This is awesome
Nice pickups! And happy belated birthday!

Sex Criminals is great

Hagi

Right after the Prison arc up to around issue 110 was fantastic. All Out War, the first and hopefully only event for the series suffered from the increased release schedule, but ultimately pushed the book to where it needed to go.

The current arc so far has been the best since the prison, and it seems like it's only going to get better. I'm afraid to say a lot about it, because most of the book's progression is based on spoilers.

Thanks i think I'll pick up the hardcovers when i get paid so i can continue where i left off. Shame the TV series is so mediocre.

I'm actually really looking forward to this but having read the interview I just can't help it.

Nope, that's not creepy at all.

It's not creepy? I doubt he's going to tell her in regards to the fetish wear that this is what mommy wears while she stands on daddy's nuts. As a four year old she won't have any reference for it.

ODY-C does sound awesome, loving the design for female space Poseidon.

Him and KSD are like the Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow of Comics.

Hehe, that's quite funny. Dat Pretty Deadly art tho! That's all I've read of KSD.

This is awesome

Sex Criminals is great
Yea he's a bit more underground/independent from my understanding. His full-time gig is as a professor. I have this pretty rad graphic novel of his, called The Hole . He's got a very urban/graphic style that I love; he's a very cool dude who has a strong interest in a lot of the same topics as me, so we hit it off. He's a huge fan of Lovecraft. He's working on some new stuff so I'll make sure to update when it releases.

Zombine

Banned
Thanks i think I'll pick up the hardcovers when i get paid so i can continue where i left off. Shame the TV series is so mediocre.

I have to watch it because it's one of the shows my girlfriend enjoys, but I can honestly say that Season 4 was my favorite so far. I have learned to just accept it for what it is.

Hehe, that's quite funny. Dat Pretty Deadly art tho! That's all I've read of KSD.

Aw come on, you've read way more Fraction that that.
lol

I have to watch it because it's one of the shows my girlfriend enjoys, but I can honestly say that Season 4 was my favorite so far. I have learned to just accept it for what it is.

Aw come on, you've read way more Fraction that that.
lol

Bwaha...when you put it like that!

Thats pretty cool. I like that.

Happy belated birthday! No complaints here, you did well with your haul!

Velvet is mein waifu.

Thanks! Yeah, I think it'll scratch the itch that I wanted Scarlet to scratch. I wonder if Bendis and Maleev ever finished that up...I guess google will tell me.

Great story that really serves to introduce Marco Rudy's artistic madness to the mainstream. The concept is actually really cool, as Spider-Man has to fight 99 of his most deadly ass enemies, but the art is really what you'll be reading for. It's fucking stunning.
Yeah, I'm loving the art. Already one of my favortie Spider-man artists. He's like Stegman mixed in with JH Williams III.

This is awesome

Sex Criminals is great
I'm already telling all my friends and my wife to read it. First I gotta convince them thats not about rapists....

Ugh it's just so obnoxious. I'm not about to cast full judgement on someone I don't know
personally, but he comes off as pretentious more than intelligent.

When I think intelligence, I think of Snyder.

if Snyder is the barometer for intelligence, I'll take pretentious any day

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Seriously, has there always been shitty backlash against Fraction? Dude is fucking passionate and writes some of the most relateable comics out there and is always great to his fans.

Seriously, has there always been shitty backlash against Fraction? Dude is fucking passionate and writes some of the most relateable comics out there and is always great to his fans.

I don't have an issue with him...

Except for his inability to get Hawkeye out on time for the past four months. But the quality of Sex Criminals has made up for that.

Hagi

Hipster as an insult never makes sense to me though it's only really something i hear/read Americans using. Don't think I've heard more than one person in my day to day life here in Scotland use it.

Speaking of Fraction i picked the first Sex Criminals trade and issues #6 and #7. It's a really weird concept but it's funny and touching. The way he writes characters and how relatable they are even in something like Hawkguy is just great. One of my favourite writers right now alongside Remender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom