• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's not worth omnibus money to read. That's for sure.
Thats the point, If I intendet to buy them in TPB form, I would have to pay 30€ - So I have to pay just 5 extra Euro and become them in the superior format...

But its still more than three months until the Omnibus releases and enough time to make a decision^^
Maybe I just have to read 1, 2 issues, them it will be easier^^

Hagi

I don't really have a favorite artist (maybe Francis Manapul) but I concur with the opinion that Ramos is freaking terrible. He probably sketches and inks a whole comic in half a day. Why he doesn't get nearly as much shit slew at him as Rob Liefield I don't know why. They both have an incredible disdain for accurate proportions.

Mignola, Opeña, Francavilla, Rivera, Allred and Aja are my favourite artists, i don't think i could pick just one. Ramos is just a shitty version of Bachalo, shame they just couldn't get him. He did some great issues during Brand New Day with the standout being this weird issue where a snow storm hits New York and there's this Native American demon i think roaming about.

Bii

Harley Quinn Invades Comic-Con International San Diego #1

VXXD9gL.jpg

I don't read much of DC outside of Snyder's Batman but this one-shot was enjoyable save for one thing (on to that later). As I'm thumbing through this, I start to reminisce the few times I've been to SDCC and how I want to go back again next year. A lot of moments are captured perfectly especially the locations and surroundings. A few of the pages had me fooled for a second when I thought I actually did have coffee stains on my pages.

The one thing I didn't enjoy was when Harley walked into one of the rooms with all those Joker cosplayers. I'm not a fan of gangbangs and to have it in a "superhero" comic is teetering on being tasteless. The joke here is Harley really wants the D but convinces the reader that she "had to be sure" they all were not the real Joker. So she fucks them all. Riiiiiiight.

I don't mind implied sex scenes or the act of in comics if done right. As an example, see below.

-

Saga #21

Whew, a lot of things going on here. Marko and Alana's relationship has started to slowly crumble and this mysterious janitor is kicking ass and taking names. Fiona's lack of backgrounds is starting to bother me. I think some scenes would be enhanced greatly if something more was there.

Regarding the sex scene, Marko and Alana have been drifting apart from one another, mentally and physically. Alana's been busy with work and have resorted to drugs to make herself feel alive. Marko's been laying low and have been taking their daughter out to the park and dance classes, where he strikes up some conversations with the dance instructor; having these flirty talks and looking back at his relationship with Alana, trying to sort out his feelings and where to go from here. As these mixed feelings and tension rise, there's a beautiful and intimate scene that ensues which is drawn powerfully in just three small panels. There you go, a sex scene done right.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Mignola, Opeña, Francavilla, Rivera, Allred and Aja are my favourite artists, i don't think i could pick just one. Ramos is just a shitty version of Bachalo, shame they just couldn't get him. He did some great issues during Brand New Day with the standout being this weird issue where a snow storm hits New York and there's this Native American demon i think roaming about.

This Snowdemon story was amazing, one of my favourite from the whole BND Arc.

Thats the point, If I intendet to buy them in TPB form, I would have to pay 30€ - So I have to pay just 5 extra Euro and become them in the superior format...

But its still more than three months until the Omnibus releases and enough time to make a decision^^
Maybe I just have to read 1, 2 issues, them it will be easier^^

Hmm I take it digital with MU or A future CMX sale is a no go?

XAL

The one thing I didn't enjoy was when Harley walked into one of the rooms with all those Joker cosplayers. I'm not a fan of gangbangs and to have it in a "superhero" comic is teetering on being tasteless. The joke here is Harley really wants the D but convinces the reader that she "had to be sure" they all were not the real Joker. So she fucks them all. Riiiiiiight.

Wuuuuut

Are we sure Zack Snyder didn't write it?

*just checked it out*

holee sheet that's fucking tasteless

Since we're talking about artists, and maybe this was already batted around, what's the name of your current favorite? I'm curious, and perhaps I'll see a new name that I want to check out.

I have lots of artists that I enjoy but the first two names that came to mind were Fiona staples on saga. And J. H. Williams III has been doing breathtaking work on Sandman

Since we're talking about artists, and maybe this was already batted around, what's the name of your current favorite? I'm curious, and perhaps I'll see a new name that I want to check out.

Amanda Conner's my number 1. Got her artbook (SDCC variant), a print, and a signed Power Girl trade! I have a TON of artists I love though. J.H. Williams III, Steve Lieber, and David Aja are all awesome.

Favorite manga artist is Akira Hiramoto.

Messi

I have lots of artists that I enjoy but the first two names that came to mind were Fiona staples on saga. And J. H. Williams III has been doing breathtaking work on Sandman

Agree on both. J.H did amazing work on Batwoman too. Fiona Staples has this great consistent quality.

Cheska

It's always so incredibly hard to choose favorite artists and writers because there are so many talented people out there. It's even more difficult if you have to narrow it down to just one.

I think if I had to choose just one person who's art continues to impress me each and every time, I'd go with Adam Hughes. His art is always stunning in my opinion, and I honestly can't think of a time he left me disappointed.

However, he's primarily a cover artist, so I feel the need to pick someone who works on interiors as well. Recently, I'd go with Sara Pichelli. She's been kicking ass at Marvel, and I feel like giving some love to my fellow Italian sista.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Read the first Issue of Young Avengers.

It was very good actually... Even the dialogues between Wiccan and Hulkling werent as awkward as in Children Crusade.

The one thing that still sad is that they dont use Eli aka Patriot anymore... Really liked this guy...

You don't see many people acknowledging the variable quality of Quitely's work. It's either people saying he's the best ever or just plain terrible.

The truth is that he's immensely talented, he's created some real masterpieces, but he's also turned in sub-par work on more than one occasion.

This is true. New X-Men and The Authority look pretty rushed. His work on Sandman and We3 show that he can bust out top notch work when given time.

I don't really have a favorite artist (maybe Francis Manapul) but I concur with the opinion that Ramos is freaking terrible. He probably sketches and inks a whole comic in half a day. Why he doesn't get nearly as much shit slew at him as Rob Liefield I don't know why. They both have an incredible disdain for accurate proportions.

Inaccurate proportions themselves aren't too bad since they're an innate part of cartooning but the problem with his art is that it's so inconsistent from panel to panel. Almost all his work looks rushed.

However, he's primarily a cover artist, so I feel the need to pick someone who works on interiors as well. Recently, I'd go with Sara Pichelli. She's been kicking ass at Marvel, and I feel like giving some love to my fellow Italian sista.

Yeah her art is amazing. The interiors on Guardians of the Galaxy were so good.

Valerio Schiti is Italian too IIRC. His art on Journey Into Mystery w/ Sif was great.

Speaking of artist I love I wish Darwyn Cooke would take another break from his Parker kick and do something else. His watchmen stuff was good and I like his Parker adaptions but I want to see him do something else. Also where did Tim Sale disappear too?

And Tim Bradstreets punisher covers were amazing. Another artist that seems to have fallen off my radar.

This is true. New X-Men and The Authority look pretty rushed. His work on Sandman and We3 show that he can bust out top notch work when given time.

Inaccurate proportions themselves aren't too bad since they're an innate part of cartooning but the problem with his art is that it's so inconsistent from panel to panel. Almost all his work looks rushed.

Yeah, the inconsistency is the worst part. He sometimes draws characters almost in 2D like fuck depth perception.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Gaaah. I still haven't convinced myself to order the Hellboy Library Editions. Now would be a really nice time to get a random influx of money to justify the purchase.

...Maybe something will happen like that time when I totally forgot I had a savings account separate from my checking account that had $5k in it.
That was a pleasant surprise.

----------

In regards to the favorite artists question, I think I can maybe narrow it down to a top five, but even still, I could probably be convinced to switch one out for another. Here goes anyways: Mignola, Aja, Francavilla, Burnham, Quitely.

Messi

I really love Guillem March's work. Also Rob Guillory is worth a mention for his work on Chew.

Also no one has mentioned Greg Capullo.

So many great artists.

So when Marvel gets the Star Wars rights next year, there is definitely going to end up being a Jedi on the Avengers, right?

Right?

Ugh.

Thankfully, Disney has been pretty good so far about keeping their properties separate. Sure, some Marvel characters are starting to bleed into Disney's Infinity video game, but that doesn't bother me. Those two fit well together anyway. When Mickey Mouse starts popping up in Avengers, I'm out.

Here's a trivia question I've been kicking around in my head this weekend. Of the long running super hero characters/teams, which are the ones that's had the longest amount of quality?

I've boiled it down to 3 but I'm sure I'm missing some:
- Spider-man. It had a dark era in the 90s but everything up to that always seemed to be good or great. The character started out with a bang so little ramp up time was needed
- Batman. I can't peak for the early early stuff but the batman books seemed to have great suff 60s+ fairly regularly. Especially when you consider the off shoot minis, one shots, etc. The character never hit any real long lows since I've been reading in the early 90s
- x-men. Started slow but basically since Claremont was in the book for so long made me think it'd be a top 3 book.

I'd be interested to see if I've missed some. I considered hulk due to PAD but there seems to be too many other gaps. Maybe daredevil or cap?

Bro you're making this too easy bro!

Legion! ;D ;D ;D

1958 to 1989.

Ugh.

Thankfully, Disney has been pretty good so far about keeping their properties separate. Sure, some Marvel characters are starting to bleed into Disney's Infinity video game, but that doesn't bother me. Those two fit well together anyway. When Mickey Mouse starts popping up in Avengers, I'm out.

They mentioned Disney World in New Warriors and it was pretty funny

Zombine

Banned

I would say that it's unfortunate, but it's definitely the contrary. We're gonna see more Duarte soon. I need to track down his numbers for Guardians and see how that book sold. I have a feeling that Marvel is going to put him on a book. I could see him doing a wicked Star Wars Droids book.

Messi

Do creators usually announce how many volumes/issues they have planned? Or do they keep writing as long as the sales targets are met?

They don't usually announce how long they are staying on. But we usually know from solicits months in advance that a team is leaving a book and who is taking over. We knew Ellis was leaving moon knight from solicits. If sales targets are being met and the team has stories to tell then they will stay on.

In some cases like Snyder on Batman we know he has a contract for so many issues. What we don't know is if he continues after that. I hope he does.

It's different depending on the teams.

I just checked the solicits for you and She Hulk is solicited all the way up to #9 in October by that same team. I don't think that book is in any trouble.

Zombine

Banned
They don't usually announce how long they are staying on. But we usually know from solicits months in advance that a team is leaving a book and who is taking over. We knew Ellis was leaving moon knight from solicits. If sales targets are being met and the team has stories to tell then they will stay on.

In some cases like Snyder on Batman we know he has a contract for so many issues. What we don't know is if he continues after that. I hope he does.

Snyder has years as long as he is willing to stick around. Nobody is going to tell him to leave. He's the Claremont of Batman.

I just checked the solicits for you and She Hulk is solicited all the way up to #9 in October by that same team. I don't think that book is in any trouble.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Zombine

Banned
Which is awesome. I do believe he will stay after the 50 issues. It's 50 or 60 right?

Yeah let me clarify, me calling him the Claremont of Batman is a good thing. I believe he even mentioned in a Comixology interview that he was sticking around as long as he had a story to tell after the cap.

Oh yeah, I've been gunning through Fatale and I freaking love it. Really fantastic mix of King and Lovecraft.

Messi

Yeah let me clarify, me calling him the Claremont of Batman is a good thing. I believe he even mentioned in a Comixology interview that he was sticking around as long as he had a story to tell after the cap.

Oh yeah, I've been gunning through Fatale and I freaking love it. Really fantastic mix of King and Lovecraft.

I wish Snyder would use Ivy in a story. I think he would nail it :/

Zombine

Banned
So, basically my favorite comics are Brubaker & Philips crime novels, and I'm ok with that. I want to buy Criminal because I know without a doubt I will enjoy it, but the releases are a clusterfuck at best. I have no idea how to actually purchase the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom