• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, World War Hulk was epic.

I have a question though, was Hulk on par with Sentry before he went world-breaker angry at the end or was Sentry still holding back?

Seriously, has there always been shitty backlash against Fraction? Dude is fucking passionate and writes some of the most relateable comics out there and is always great to his fans.
I don't really like any of his current books. He bailed on FF, which I was loving. And I was loving Hawkeye, but I was liking it less by the time it stopped shipping, and I kinda moved onto Superior Foes during that time.

I'm looking forward to Casanova coming back. Always loved that. But Satelite Sam and Sex Criminals? Not for me.

Zombine

Banned
Being unfamiliar with the tumblr community what does this mean?

It's like Pinterest for your feelings, fetishes, and fandoms.

There is a certain type of image that is reposted there. It tends to be witty musings and sappy shit that make girls go crazy. Some people are better than others at writing things that build a fan base there.

For instance, if I write some dialogue for Hulkling that is some sappy fucking musing about life, tumblr would eat it up.

Hagi

Is he? Like really?

image.php

had to be done

started reading hell blazer

I'm finding the early stories to be a bit .. dated? and a little too politically british

would it be worth it to skip ahead to someone else's run?

Yeah but he has a beard and makes people think sometimes. Pretentious hipsterism at its most toxic.

Haha I agree. My beard comment was obvious sarcasm. I like the majority of Fraction's stuff. Sex Criminals wasn't for me. Haven't read Satellite Sam and just started Casanova. The hipster distinction is definitely a huge issue in many of the creative arts over here, but with the bad, there is good. I consider Fraction great at his craft. I think his passion can sometimes be misconstrued; but again, I think he's earned the right to be that way. He can walk the walk, in my opinion.

As an artist, I don't get the Quietly hate. He's got a unique style; you can instantly tell when it's him behind the art. Personally, it's not my favorite style but in an industry with a lot of similar styles, you need to stand out.

Read the doctor strange issue if defenders . It will make you love fraction
I still think one of the best things fraction did was the love letter to the MJ/Peter marriage in sensational spider-man annual #1

Then they went and destroyed the marriage :(. I still hate marvel for doing that. The MJ marriage does not and would not prevent you from writing good comics marvel. It's a crap excuse

There's no questioning Quitely's talent. You can only take issue with some of his stylistic choices but those are mostly superficial. Generally, I have a problem saying one artist is better than another when they're quite obviously different types of artists but I would struggle to think of an area in which Jim Lee could be better than Quitely.

Blader

I usually like Quietly a lot, but really hated his art on New X-Men. He kills it on All Star Superman and Batman & Robin, though.

started reading hell blazer

I'm finding the early stories to be a bit .. dated? and a little too politically british

would it be worth it to skip ahead to someone else's run?

Started reading...as in from the very beginning?

Only Hellblazer I've read (that I can remember at least) was some, if not all, of Ennis' run, which was pretty good.

frye

p funny comments here considering ASS as it was originally offered to Morrison in 2002 was a 12 issue Jim Lee joint meant to complement Hush (this later turned into For Tomorrow with Azzarello)

Since we're talking about artists, and maybe this was already batted around, what's the name of your current favorite? I'm curious, and perhaps I'll see a new name that I want to check out.

You don't see many people acknowledging the variable quality of Quitely's work. It's either people saying he's the best ever or just plain terrible.

The truth is that he's immensely talented, he's created some real masterpieces, but he's also turned in sub-par work on more than one occasion.

Owzers

Wanted to show COMICS! GAF this as they'd appreciate it. An old professor of mine posted this on his Facebook a few days ago. It's a drawing he did inspired both by Captain America and the events in Ferguson this past week. He's got such a unique style; all the credit to him, John Jennings, for this great image:

10568959_10203315575745033_2804233560517081468_n.jpg

Am i going to get gaf mad at me if i say i don't like Captain America being portrayed like that considering we don't know what actually happened?

Hagi

Ramos is one of the only artists where i can say i think nearly 100 percent of the stuff I've seen him do is terrible.

Fintan

Finished re-reading Watchmen. Hadn't read it since I was about 15. Really is fantastic. A fair few little details I didn't pick up on. A little weird that it takes as a given that psychics exist, feels a bit out of place with the world. Still the only Moore (and Gibbons, actually) that I've ever read.

Am i going to get gaf mad at me if i say i don't like Captain America being portrayed like that considering we don't know what actually happened?

Probably not; he's a big proponent of the diversification of the industry (especially regarding race), a lot of his stuff his driven by that. We may not know the full details of what happened but it's more about the subtext.

Ramos is one of the only artists where i can say i think nearly 100 percent of the stuff I've seen him do is terrible.

I don't really have a favorite artist (maybe Francis Manapul) but I concur with the opinion that Ramos is freaking terrible. He probably sketches and inks a whole comic in half a day. Why he doesn't get nearly as much shit slew at him as Rob Liefield I don't know why. They both have an incredible disdain for accurate proportions.

XAL

No it's completely fair.

There was a shooting in san francisco 3 years ago that people judged as "SFPD murders 19 year old black male for not paying bus fare"

Tons of video of the guy dying with dozens of people saying that the guy fled and the police shot him in the back unprovoked, some saying they executed him. "see they're guilty, murderer cops!" it all looked really bad for SFPD.

Police said they returned fire after the guy shot at them, but no gun was found on scene. A video surfaced the day after from someone on site of someone in the crowd picking up a silver gun (matching the description of a .380).

The killshot to the neck was from the guy's own gun, a .380. SFPD don't use .380's. He had been struck in the hamstring by an SFPD round while sprinting and accidentally shot himself. A member of the community managed to get ahold of the gun and turned it in to undercover officers. They ran the ballistics on the round in the kill would and the bullets that had hit local businesses, they were a match.

Turns out the guy (Kenneth Harding Jr.) was convicted of attempting to pimp out a 14 year old in washington state and was on 22 months parole, he was then wanted as the prime suspect in the murder of a 19 year old woman in seattle. This caused him to flee the state. when they busted him in san francisco for not paying the fair (they ID you and write you a ticket) he fled and shot at police to avoid getting caught for fleeing parole and dodging a potential murder charge. Yet the whole time people who knew him and didn't know him portrayed him as the "innocent young man who did nothing wrong". His family denied his criminal record as legitimate, despite the overwhelming evidence against him getting caught red handed pimping out a minor - I think his mother's reply was "that girl lied about her age!".

I'm not saying that this current situation is the same, but a really terrible incident - a really terrible incident that looks especially bad for police, still might have been justified. Once you get a mob mentality going "I SAW THIS HAPPEN" when they really didn't see the whole picture...I don't think anyone actually saw the whole picture.

But then again you get people here in San Francisco, and on tumblr, and on youtube that to this day put this scumbag Kenneth Harding Jr. on a pedestal as a martyr for innocent black men murdered by white pigs. The mother is still trying to sue the city despite all of the evidence.

Again, not saying it's the same. But it's just an example of how a situation can be extremely misread and how the truth can even be a little hard to swallow.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's seemingly love it/hate it

It's just tumblr bait.

It's a fun book, it's a lot more modern take on a teen group so i wouldn't go in expecting more of the same. Gillen is at his best with McKelvie and he writes the best Loki.

You guys let me have a tough decision... I wanted to buy the Omnibus, which is oversized and contains 19 Issues for 35€, which would be extremly cheap... But im the same day the Trial of Captain America Omnibus releases and even with my holiday payment I dont know if I should really buy booth... Even when I am highly interested in Young Avengers...

I had to drop morrisons nu x men cause of quilty

New_X-Men_Vol_1_116.jpg

Always only seeing the cameltoe -.- Such an ugly artwork

I liked his work on Spectacular Spider-Man back then in 2003. His current work ist awful. He works together with Slott on the Destruction of Spider-Man... They should hire Marcos Martin again...

You guys let me have a tough decision... I wanted to buy the Omnibus, which is oversized and contains 19 Issues for 35€, which would be extremly cheap... But im the same day the Trial of Captain America Omnibus releases and even with my holiday payment I dont know if I should really buy booth... Even when I am highly interested in Young Avengers...
It's ok but not great. A big disappointing since he did great work with young Loki in Journey into mystery and I really likes the previous young avengers work. It's not worth omnibus money to read. That's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom