• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

Well, I mean, there is Sodam Yat. They actually just reintroduced him recently in the Green Lantern Corp book though he is staying on Daxam, at the moment, helping his people recover from the events of the Durlan War.

I honestly never cared for Sodam Yat, it always felt like they had big plans for him but never knew how to actually realize them.

I honestly never cared for Sodam Yat, it always felt like they had big plans for him but never knew how to actually realize them.

I'll be honest; I never really liked Mon-El as a Green Lantern. It stems from my feeling that Kryptonian level characters feel "weird" if you give them something like a Power Ring. I mean, why do you need it, when you can punch planets, shoot lasers from your eyes, fly and survive in space, and have high levels of invulnerability. It's just sort of overkill. I was less worried about it with Sodam Yat because that was sort of his thing and he wasn't around as much so you didn't have to deal with it all that often. The outfit was cool, I'll admit, but Mon-El is much better off serving as the Legions Superman analogue heavy hitter.

tim1138

I'll be honest; I never really liked Mon-El as a Green Lantern. It stems from my feeling that Kryptonian level characters feel "weird" if you give them something like a Power Ring. I mean, why do you need it, when you can punch planets, shoot lasers from your eyes, fly and survive in space, and have high levels of invulnerability. It's just sort of overkill. I was less worried about it with Sodam Yat because that was sort of his thing and he wasn't around as much so you didn't have to deal with it all that often. The outfit was cool, I'll admit, but Mon-El is much better off serving as the Legions Superman analogue heavy hitter.

I like Mon-El as a character and I always enjoy ridiculously overpowered characters. Although if I remember right, he only used the ring when needed, right?

Messi

I will never hire you as a private detective.

I am aware of my female character leaning, I just noticed it is a heavy dc leaning.

That said, I just finished reading the two most recent issues of Black Widow. I am seriously in love with this series. It's just fantastic. I keep stopping just to take in the art. No one draws a better Natasha than Phil Noto. No one.

So comicGAF today is my birthday. I've decided I'm on a comic book kick this weekend so I had a nice luch that's off the diet, watched another Batman TAS. Ep (the best penguin episode where he is conned by high society for a joke) and it's time to catch up on my comics. I've got 28 left to catch up on.

It's a shame I don't get to contribute on the monthly comic discussions, but I buy and read so many comics I had to resort to digital discounts on comixology (2 month delay for DC and one month for the rest) and Marvel unlimited. Of course image keeps upping their quality so I think the amount I spend hasn't changed much just an increase of comics!

Just finished up Lumberjanes #3. This comic is soo charming. The cast is great and I'm getting goonies adventure vibes from it.

That said, I just finished reading the two most recent issues of Black Widow. I am seriously in love with this series. It's just fantastic. I keep stopping just to take in the art. No one draws a better Natasha than Phil Noto. No one.

My one issue with the book is the pacing. There's kind of a lot that happens in each issue with comparitively little text. It's like they're speeding through with action panels.

Messi

My one issue with the book is the pacing. There's kind of a lot that happens in each issue with comparitively little text. It's like they're speeding through with action panels.

Noto is definitely carrying a lot of the load. But I love his action scenes.

Black_Widow_2_11.jpg

There is a real umph to them.

Bii

Noto is definitely carrying a lot of the load. But I love his action scenes.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zmY64-AymVM/UsZVuLl8afI/AAAAAAAAb1A/qNjOkksh0XU/s1600/Black_Widow_2_11.jpg

There is a real umph to them.

I was just thinking the same thing; I had taken the photos below prior to seeing this post. I really do love Noto's action sequences. As a matter of fact, I think a lot of the best pages in Black Widow are the ones that have little to no text.

-

Black Widow #8

Natasha's sent on a mission to retrieve some object whereas Bucky has been hired to make sure it doesn't get into the wrong hands. Since their missions doesn't necessarily stop one another from completing their objective, they end up working together when the bad guys show up. This book is packed full of action sequences and it's mesmerizing to follow the panels from one to another.

The ending looks like it's setting itself up for the next arc where
Isiah, her agent, gets kidnapped
. I'm curious how Natasha will react to this given her last line on the last page:
"I work better alone."

If anyone wants the Marvel digital code for Black Widow #8, first to reply gets my PM.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I was just thinking the same thing; I had taken the photos below prior to seeing this post. I really do love Noto's action sequences. As a matter of fact, I think a lot of the best pages in Black Widow are the ones that have little to no text.

-

Black Widow #8

Natasha's sent on a mission to retrieve some object whereas Bucky has been hired to make sure it doesn't get into the wrong hands. Since their missions doesn't necessarily stop one another from completing their objective, they end up working together when the bad guys show up. This book is packed full of action sequences and it's mesmerizing to follow the panels from one to another.

The ending looks like it's setting itself up for the next arc where
Isiah, her agent, gets kidnapped
. I'm curious how Natasha will react to this given her last line on the last page:
"I work better alone."

If anyone wants the Marvel digital code for Black Widow #8, first to reply gets my PM.

I would like to have the code :D

Zombine

Banned
So comicGAF today is my birthday. I've decided I'm on a comic book kick this weekend so I had a nice luch that's off the diet, watched another Batman TAS. Ep (the best penguin episode where he is conned by high society for a joke) and it's time to catch up on my comics. I've got 28 left to catch up on.

It's a shame I don't get to contribute on the monthly comic discussions, but I buy and read so many comics I had to resort to digital discounts on comixology (2 month delay for DC and one month for the rest) and Marvel unlimited. Of course image keeps upping their quality so I think the amount I spend hasn't changed much just an increase of comics!

Just finished up Lumberjanes #3. This comic is soo charming. The cast is great and I'm getting goonies adventure vibes from it.

Happy Birthday! I really think I should pick up Lumberjanes. I like the art quite a bit.

Bii

I would like to have the code :D

PM sent.

It's my birthday today, too. :(

Happy birthday Freezasoihgfwoehorush!

-

Batman #32

As Zero Year is nearing its conclusion, I really don't want it to end. I think Snyder's done a phenomenal job with throwing twists and turns at every juncture; and I'm enthralled throughout. There are many plot holes that I can bring up for argument's sake but I'm just on this ride and enjoying what comes at me. For example, why hasn't any other villain turn up under Riddler's rule? I can't imagine any or all of Batman's gallery of villains being okay with this series of events. Just a small observation that doesn't need an answer.

Owzers

34. Ugh. :(

It's so weird. When you're a kid, you assume one day you'll just be an adult and your priorities will change completely. It never actually happens!

I think that just means you start prioritizing Image books over Marvel/DC. Also, happy birthday to you two.

Zombine

Banned
34. Ugh. :(

It's so weird. When you're a kid, you assume one day you'll just be an adult and your priorities will change completely. It never actually happens!

It really doesn't. I've also noticed that this generation of 30 something's refuse to give up their youth. There are times when you can't tell a 30-whatever from a 20-something.

Batman #32

As Zero Year is nearing its conclusion, I really don't want it to end. I think Snyder's done a phenomenal job with throwing twists and turns at every juncture; and I'm enthralled throughout. There are many plot holes that I can bring up for argument's sake but I'm just on this ride and enjoying what comes at me. For example, why hasn't any other villain turn up under Riddler's rule? I can't imagine any or all of Batman's gallery of villains being okay with this series of events. Just a small observation that doesn't need an answer.

I'll totally take the code to Ba...man. Fuck you DC.
;p

It really doesn't. I've also noticed that this generation of 30 something's refuse to give up their youth. There are times when you can't tell a 30-whatever from a 20-something.]

I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, within reason. Especially in America where there's a ridiculous culture of work-work-work. No reason to give up the things you enjoy, as long as you're prioritizing your bills (and family stuff, if applicable) first.

And you know, as long as you're not 25 and watching My Little Pony (Adventure Time, however, is perfectly acceptable).

Zombine

Banned
I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, within reason. Especially in America where there's a ridiculous culture of work-work-work. No reason to give up the things you enjoy, as long as you're prioritizing your bills (and family stuff, if applicable) first.

And you know, as long as you're not 25 and watching My Little Pony (Adventure Time, however, is perfectly acceptable).

Like, I just turned 25, and multiple friends of mine are in their mid 30s. Standing side by side comparing likes and dislikes and youthful exuberance you really can't tell a difference, and I happen to skew "younger" looking within my age group.

I'm generally mistaken for a 21-22 year old, so it definitely says something about where we are headed as a population. I blame it on comics.

Vibranium

Banned

Yeah, I am really having some problems with the pacing, Edmondson should try to mix things up somewhat if you ask me. And the fact that we didn't get enough closure on Bucky and Natasha during #8 was kind of annoying for me. Noto is killing it, but I do wonder if a new writer with Phil still on art would be that much of a big deal. No offence to Nathan, but I would love for Majorie Liu to come back to Black Widow at some point.

Happy birthday Freeza! You may be way older than me, but don't let it get to you!

Zombine

Banned
Yep. Get either one of DnA on that shit (even if they're not working together anymore, one of them would still be nice) or someone else up to the task. Remender, Aaron, etc.

Remender Guardians of the Galaxy could be an Eisner award winning book. Do want.

It's my birthday today, too. :(
Birthday bro fist!

So my reading of comics has been halted due to me now chaining my IST orders to keep my 2% combo and surveying my trade shelves. It's a sad state when I don't remember everything I own. Same with my digital library.

I gave since realized I was 2 volumes behind on Empowered! Also that I never bought the last trade of the losers (a highly uner rated action series) and now it's out of print and hard to find :(

I also am shocked to discover I'm lacking vol 2 of Johns stars and stripe tpb. The first one was fun. Courtney is a great character. Has others read this that like PG, Batgirl, etc? You might like it

I also rediscovered Global Frequency. What a great series by Ellis. I hate when Ellis just gets bored with a great book and moves on. I'm looking at you Fell!

Birthday bro fist!

So my reading of comics has been halted due to me now chaining my IST orders to keep my 2% combo and surveying my trade shelves. It's a sad state when I don't remember everything I own. Same with my digital library.

I've been keeping that extra 2% as well. I was about to lose it this past week, but then I remembered I have to buy the Invincible hardcover Vol.9 this week, along with something else I completely forgot....

So I bought all eight volumes of Osamu Tezuka's Pluto manga at the 11th hour just before the extra 2% expired. XD I've heard very good things about Pluto, and I've been meaning to read it anyway.

Just finished Age of Ultron + Moon Knight: Silent Knight

Age of Ultron: Started off so, so strong. Those first 2-3 issues were some of the best I've read in a long time. Then
the time travel stuff started occurring and it was starting to lose me. Everything in the alternate future with Emperor Palpa-Stark was seriously terrible. I couldn't handle it. And the actual final battle with Ultron was a bit lackluster as well.
The changes in artists were a bit jarring as well. Overall I liked it but it wasn't up to my expectations. I need some Post Apocalyptic Marvel in my diet. Haven't gotten around to Spider-Man: Reign or Old Man Logan yet but are there any other ones that are decent?

Silent Knight: I have no experience with Moon Knight beyond knowing the basics of the character. It was a fun issue but I had no back story with him and overall I had fun reading it. Good art and a fun storyline.

Freeza, brother. Happy birthday to you too!

Guardians was awesome. Really happy with the movie and I loved how goofy it was. Can't wait for more Cosmic stuff in the MCU.

Zombine

Banned
Wow™

I just ate at Subway™ and won a free Guardians of The Galaxy™ #1 by @BRIANMBENDIS. Quote Zombine© For the Marvel Comics™ Redemption code.

Guardians of The Galaxy™ is in theaters August 1st.

Bought and read Legendary Star-lord #1 on my lunch today. The art was great but I thought the story was kinda generic.

While I was at the shop, I made big changes to my list. I added all the big books for October; Gotham Academy, Arkham Manor, Catwoman, Wytches. Also added Multiversity to my list.

Dropped now:

Action Comics
Superman Wonder Woman
Coffin Hill

Dropped in October. Green Arrow

Also added today, Rocket Racoon.

I like Superman but not 3 books worth of Superman.

Tizoc

If you really liked the Suicide Squad comic, DO NOT miss out on the new Assault on Arkham animated movie
%27Batman_Assault_on_Arkham%27_cover.jpeg

Since this is
practically an SS movie!

Messi

Bought and read Legendary Star-lord #1 on my lunch today. The art was great but I thought the story was kinda generic.

While I was at the shop, I made big changes to my list. I added all the big books for October; Gotham Academy, Arkham Manor, Catwoman, Wytches. Also added Multiversity to my list.

Dropped now:

Action Comics
Superman Wonder Woman
Coffin Hill

Dropped in October. Green Arrow

Also added today, Rocket Racoon.

I like Superman but not 3 books worth of Superman.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy Star Lord as much as I did. On the upside you added some potentially great books to your pull. But no batgirl?

Oh and Freeza

tumblr_mpv8fjqxCj1qhc0olo1_250.gif

tumblr_mpv8fjqxCj1qhc0olo4_250.gif

tumblr_mpv8fjqxCj1qhc0olo5_250.gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PUDDIN :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom