• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you really liked the Suicide Squad comic, DO NOT miss out on the new Assault on Arkham animated movie

Since this is
practically an SS movie!

Assault on Arkham was great.

While I was at the shop, I made big changes to my list. I added all the big books for October; Gotham Academy, Arkham Manor, Catwoman, Wytches. Also added Multiversity to my list.

Dropped now:

Action Comics
Superman Wonder Woman

I like Superman but not 3 books worth of Superman.

reconsider.gif

I've been loving Action Comics. Clark/Lana is great.

Oh I didn't know that. How are you feeling this last Simone arc?

I have been liking it minus the art. Simone is not phoning it in on the final arc when she could have easily.

GH. I might pick up AC again if they go back to more personal stories. In my short time with comics, I have learned that I hate all crossovers. That's why I'm worried about Red Lanterns in October. When it comes to crossovers, I have learned they are only as good as their weakest link. Doomed has become boring to me. I don't care how it ends. Actually, I know how it ends, Johns is writing the post Doomed Supes right now and he is fine.

GH. I might pick up AC again if they go back to more personal stories. In my short time with comics, I have learned that I hate all crossovers. That's why I'm worried about Red Lanterns in October. When it comes to crossovers, I have learned they are only as good as their weakest link. Doomed has become boring to me. I don't care how it ends. Actually, I know how it ends, Johns is writing the post Doomed Supes right now and he is fine.

I'm actually really looking forward to the Green Lantern / New Gods stuff so I'm not too worried about the crossovers. And yeah, while I understand how and why you feel that way about crossovers, they don't bug me nearly to the same degree.

It's interesting to see you respond so strongly to Johns' run so soon. What is it about it that is resonating with you? I'm genuinely curious, as someone who has been enjoying it as well, but also as someone who is coming into it as something of a minor (via my Legion love) Superman fanboy already.

Anth1888

After enjoying my first comic book issues I want to jump into reading DC - did a bit of research online and noticed they have started a refresh which is ideal for me. I want to start reading Batman but which one out of the series? Batman, Batman Inc, Batman & Robin, The Dark Knight and Detective Comics. I have no clue what the differences are so help would be appreciated!

Is it also worth reading Justice League as well because I noticed there is a crossover arc with villain's (can't remember the name) but personally I have enjoyed the villains more than the heroes.

Again, thanks for your help.

After enjoying my first comic book issues I want to jump into reading DC - did a bit of research online and noticed they have started a refresh which is ideal for me. I want to start reading Batman but which one out of the series? Batman, Batman Inc, Batman & Robin, The Dark Knight and Detective Comics. I have no clue what the differences are so help would be appreciated!

Start with Batman.

Is it also worth reading Justice League as well because I noticed there is a crossover arc with villain's (can't remember the name) but personally I have enjoyed the villains more than the heroes.

Again, thanks for your help.

All of these are New 52 which is the relaunch. Current issues are around #33 for titles that started with the New 52 launch in 2011:

Batman with #1 to current [Trades for the earlier stuff]
Batman and Robin with #1 to current [Trades for the earlier stuff]
Detective Comics with #30 to current

Skip Detective before 30, Dark Knight. Wait on Batman Inc until you get a little more experience under your belt, as it touches on alot of Batman lore but is worth it to come back to eventually.

That'd be my suggestion. There is also Batman Eternal, which is a weekly title that is around issue #18, and is quite good.

Justice League has been hit or miss and gotten tied up in a few events but has some seriously fun arcs, like the Throne of Atlantis and the Shazam origin story. I'd considering checking it out, dabbling, just to get a feel and see if any other characters resonate with you or to scrarch a team book itch.

I'm actually really looking forward to the Green Lantern / New Gods stuff so I'm not too worried about the crossovers. And yeah, while I understand how and why you feel that way about crossovers, they don't bug me nearly to the same degree.

It's interesting to see you respond so strongly to Johns' run so soon. What is it about it that is resonating with you? I'm genuinely curious, as someone who has been enjoying it as well, but also as someone who is coming into it as something of a minor (via my Legion love) Superman fanboy already.

The humanity of Superman. I feel in the n52, they have explored mostly Superman, The Kryptonian. In only 2 issues, were getting more Clark Kent. Pak was doing good things here also until he got sucked into the Doomed storyline. They need to turn action into Adventures of Superman and let Pak write small little arcs.

Supes/WW was enjoyable but I don't see how a relationship between the 2 can last much longer or stay interesting.

So I'm still catching up on my weekly comics and I've made it to the letter R. So I must be close right? I just counted and I still have 23 new comics to read! It's impressive how deceptive the digital backlog can pile up

tim1138

Bought and read Legendary Star-lord #1 on my lunch today. The art was great but I thought the story was kinda generic.

While I was at the shop, I made big changes to my list. I added all the big books for October; Gotham Academy, Arkham Manor, Catwoman, Wytches. Also added Multiversity to my list.

Dropped now:

Action Comics
Superman Wonder Woman
Coffin Hill

Dropped in October. Green Arrow

Also added today, Rocket Racoon.

I like Superman but not 3 books worth of Superman.

I was looking at my list at work yesterday and I think I'm down to 12 books total. That should pick back in the fall though when the new Babsgirl team comes on and some new Image books come out.

Reading Old Man Logan right now. Art is so good.

And Hawkeye is pretty awesome.

Aside from the current Fraction/Aja run, what are the best storylines involving him? Anything on Marvel Unlimited?

EDIT: What the fuck at
Daredevil and Punisher
's deaths. Come on. They deserve better.

EDIT2: Death of
Kingpin
is worthy of note. Gory superheroes are kinda fun.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Well, since a mod won't change my name I'm going to get off my horse and say goodbye!

Just change your avatar every week like Messi & co. and nobody will be able to pin you down.

Yea I thoroughly enjoyed GOTG - going to pick up the series on Comixology I think. It was quite funny. One of my favorite Marvel movies so far. My wife really enjoyed it too and she's far from a comic book fan.

Happy to see that Mike Mignola drew some of the GOTG stuff; why the hell wouldn't I pick it up!?

Messi

Happy birthday
Freezasaurus[/spolier]
XD

Okay, that was funny.

This is my favorite comics gaf joke

Well, since a mod won't change my name I'm going to get off my horse and say goodbye!

Man, don't leave.

Just change your avatar every week like Messi & co. and nobody will be able to pin you down.

My secret revealed.

Zombine has one half of the greatest ComicsGAF avatar.

True story, GH sold me on Legion.
Legion is awesome. But I only really got into DnAs Legion that seems to have been wiped from everyone's existence (not digital, no trades besides Legion Lost). But read Legion Lost(2001) if you haven't already. That's what got me into Legion. Waid's run was pretty good too but a complete reboot. I still need to check up on the Levitz classic run

Edit: and wow a kipp drawing. The best gift of all. Thanks everyone from comicGAF

Bii

Kipp makes me want to break out my digital drawing skills.

Also, quit changing your avatars, guys. Now I have to relearn who is who when reading posts. :(

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Kipp makes me want to break out my digital drawing skills.

On the one hand, I totally want to see this. On the other hand, I have a bad feeling you'll make my efforts look terrible. Haha.

Bii

On the one hand, I totally want to see this. On the other hand, I have a bad feeling you'll make my efforts look terrible. Haha.

:p

rs9fJat.jpg

Edit: Man, I'm so rusty. Gotta get used to using a fat tip digital pen. *sigh*

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
:p

Edit: Man, I'm so rusty. Gotta get used to using a fat tip digital pen. *sigh*

Haha. Awesome. Now I kind of want you to follow up every single one of my posts where I post a drawing with your version of the drawing.

Also, we ought to have an art-off sometime. :p

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you know how to write in a different language (Japanese?) those strokes are pretty deliberate.

And on the completely opposite side of the spectrum, I've got the most un-deliberate strokes of all time. "Oh, unsteady hand, you wanted the line to go that way? Well, you're the boss."

---

Oh geez. I just remembered that tomorrow's Sunday. I've been working too much these past few days and haven't had a chance to start the second Rafa webcomic yet... Chance are, #2 will be delayed. I'm worse than Aja...

Bii

Haha. Awesome. Now I kind of want you to follow up every single one of my posts where I post a drawing with your version of the drawing.

Also, we ought to have an art-off sometime. :p

Hey, that's not a bad idea!

My rendition of Kipp's rendition of Quitely's Superman. Wrinkles and all.

JMlu4Ih.jpg

Cade

I can't wait until there's a monthly ComicsGAF comic with art by Kipp and Bii and stories by Rafa and Birdie.

Sidenote: Writing is my jam but I've never even tried to write a comics script. What am I doing with my life

Zombine

Banned
Oh geez. I just remembered that tomorrow's Sunday. I've been working too much these past few days and haven't had a chance to start the second Rafa webcomic yet... Chance are, #2 will be delayed. I'm worse than Aja...

Lol that Aja delay came from they not knowing shit about sign language. You're the next Joe Mad.

If Ann Nocenti can find work writing comics then so can you

Fixed

Oh man this is awesome!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you know how to write in a different language (Japanese?) those strokes are pretty deliberate.

That may also just be the pen pressure setting which will automatically taper the line off after a certain set duration. But, it'd be way cool if he did that intuitively because he writes kanji a lot...

Happy birthday Freeza and gketter!

I've been away for most of last month and decided to do a little experiment with my comics. My weekly list were becoming way too much of a stress to my poor wallet.
I basically read almost nothing.
Now whatever book I haven't read by next wednesday will be out of my pull FOREVER.
Let's see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom