• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hey, that's not a bad idea!

My rendition of Kipp's rendition of Quitely's Superman. Wrinkles and all.

Hahaha. Amazing.

I can't wait until there's a monthly ComicsGAF comic with art by Kipp and Bii and stories by Rafa and Birdie.

Sidenote: Writing is my jam but I've never even tried to write a comics script. What am I doing with my life

Such an insult to Birdie, who does great art for The Rack webcomic. But yes, he should definitely do the writing and leave the art to me. :p
Although... I feel like Birdie could do some very energetic writing. Haha

And yeah, seriously. When are you gonna write me a comics script to draw? Something that completely changes the reader's perspective on life, love, and loss. And has crazy action scenes. And some good humor. Only 5 pages or so though.

Lol that Aja delay came from they not knowing shit about sign language. You're the next Joe Mad.

Oh, wait, can I be Cassaday?
Also, is that for reals regarding the sign language thing? That's pretty hilarious/interesting.

Zombine

Banned
Oh, wait, can I be Cassaday?
Also, is that for reals regarding the sign language thing? That's pretty hilarious/interesting.

While the issue was masterful, there is a CBR article which details that the signing caused the delay.

Very similar to saying "man, I want these guys to talk in German." And not knowing the language. You're going to have to make sure you take the time get the dialect correct.

Kipp

While the issue was masterful, there is a CBR article which details that the signing caused the delay.

Very similar to saying "man, I want these guys to talk in German." And not knowing the language. You're going to have to make sure you take the time get the dialect correct.

Well that's the most interesting reason for a delay I've ever heard. At least they took the time to do it right.

Cade

You guys are setting the bar... weirdly. I just don't have a lot of experience in non-novel formatting/description. I should do some just for fun, though.

Zombine

Banned
Well that's the most interesting reason for a delay I've ever heard. At least they took the time to do it right.

I'm also going to bet that Fraction actually wrote dialogue for Barry and then removed it. I love the idea of isolating the reader and taking them out of their comfort zone.

You guys are setting the bar... weirdly. I just don't have a lot of experience in non-novel formatting/description. I should do some just for fun, though.

There is none. You can view some final drafts online, but it's really up to the writer. Flexibility is key, because you want to give your artist room to play, but have a beginning, middle, and end in mind, and plot it out with notes. Don't be afraid to deviate, but make sure it ties back into the main points.

Cade

Such an insult to Birdie, who does great art for The Rack webcomic. But yes, he should definitely do the writing and leave the art to me. :p
Although... I feel like Birdie could do some very energetic writing. Haha

And yeah, seriously. When are you gonna write me a comics script to draw? Something that completely changes the reader's perspective on life, love, and loss. And has crazy action scenes. And some good humor. Only 5 pages or so though.
Oh yeah, Birdie can do art too. Whatever!

And yeah, I missed that we were on a new page or I'd have quoted you.

Oh my god. Please erase all apprehension I had towards the Annihilation-verse. After GOTG I need it all.

GOTG GOAT

Alright I've got a question that's been kicking around in my head. Has anyone been scared by a horror comic? I'm one that is easily freaked out by games, and movies/books have been quite effective but comics never do anything. I guess lack of audio queues some medium provide plus you have still imagery that dulls any fear of the unknown is the main source. What say you GAF?

Zombine

Banned
Alright I've got a question that's been kicking around in my head. Has anyone been scared by a horror comic? I'm one that is easily freaked out by games, and movies/books have been quite effective but comics never do anything. I guess lack of audio queues some medium provide plus you have still imagery that dulls any fear of the unknown is the main source. What say you GAF?

uzumaki-by-junji-ito-02.jpg

Uzumaki

Why Aren't Horror Comics Scary?

Severed had a couple things that almost made me squirm

DnA's GotG run is on sale right now... You know you want it!

And man, I was literally this close to buying Uzumaki at the comic shop on Wednesday.

Should have...my god what an awesome manga. It's the only one I have, and I luckily have all the original volumes. I saw they collected it into one big one at some point recently. It's REALLY tough to find any Junji Ito stuff here in the States. I'd do anything to have a nice big collection of his shorts.

Try reading some Junji Ito comics, like uzumaki, which just got posted.

Zombine

Banned
I bought the big omnibus edition and yup, creepy stuff, but interesting nonetheless. I'm am now scared of spirals and holes.

I can't say I was scared by it, but I know it is scary. I enjoy the horror genre in all mediums, so I am pretty desensitized to it. I love the atmosphere of the book and the grotesque imagery is disturbing.

I can't say I was scared by it, but I know it is scary. I enjoy the horror genre in all mediums, so I am pretty desensitized to it. I love the atmosphere of the book and the grotesque imagery is disturbing.

True, perhaps it's not straight up scary, but a more creepy, unsettling type of horror. Really good stuff.

Man, now I'm tempted to read this. Does IST have it? Might add it to this week's order if so.

I'm not sure what IST is?

Welp, I've been convinced by the movie. Anybody already posted about worthwhile Guardians of the Galaxy comics?

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's run on Guardians of the Galaxy is a fan-favorite and the one James Gunn used as inspiration for the movie IIRC.

If you want it physically, you can buy the first volume of the Complete Collection which is coming out soon (out now at comic shops). If you want it digitally, the whole run is on sale right now on Comixology.

Kipp

Edit. Freez I looked and IST (aka instocktrades.com) has the deluxe collection
http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Viz-Media/UZUMAKI-3-IN-1-DLX-ED-HC/AUG131498

Ooh. That's pretty good value. I might just add that to my wishlist.

Has anyone been scared by a horror comic?

I wouldn't say it scared me, but Black Hole really unsettled me. And weirded me out completely. I couldn't even bring myself to read it all. Oddly enough, I have had the urge to give it another try recently. For some reason I want to re-experience that total weirdness.

I need some Post Apocalyptic Marvel in my diet. Haven't gotten around to Spider-Man: Reign or Old Man Logan yet but are there any other ones that are decent?

Honestly, "Spider-man: Reign" is terrrrrrrrible. It was like an 8 year old Kaare Andrews glued drawings of Spider-man on top of pages from Dark Knight Returns. Also MJ dies of spider irradiated sperm.

Some of the best post-apocalyptic Marvel stuff that needs more love is the Johnathan Mayberry "Marvel vs" trilogy. Start with "Marvel Universe vs Punisher." Shares the same tone with Ennis Max stuff (and shares artist Gorlan Parlov), but has the Punisher taking on cannibalistic Marvel heroes.

Honestly, "Spider-man: Reign" is terrrrrrrrible. It was like an 8 year old Kaare Andrews glued drawings of Spider-man on top of pages from Dark Knight Returns. Also MJ dies of spider irradiated sperm.

Some of the best post-apocalyptic Marvel stuff that needs more love is the Johnathan Mayberry "Marvel vs" trilogy. Start with "Marvel Universe vs Punisher." Shares the same tone with Ennis Max stuff (and shares artist Gorlan Parlov), but has the Punisher taking on cannibalistic Marvel heroes.

Yeah I started and got through the first issue of Reign but I had to stop. That was terrible. Old Man Logan was fantastic. I'll get the physical version soon. That was so darn good.

Will check out Marvel Vs stuff. I love Jon's Joe Ledger novels but haven't checked out his comics before. Can't wait.

Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning's run on Guardians of the Galaxy is a fan-favorite and the one James Gunn used as inspiration for the movie IIRC.

If you want it physically, you can buy the first volume of the Complete Collection which is coming out soon (out now at comic shops). If you want it digitally, the whole run is on sale right now on Comixology.

Thank you, sir. :D

Guardians of the List. I am List. We are list! Awesome list vol. 1.

Despite not feeling the first one, I'm gonna try Star-lord #2.

BATMAN ETERNAL #18 $2.99
DETECTIVE COMICS #34 $3.99
GRAYSON #2 $2.99
GREEN ARROW #34 $2.99
NEW 52 FUTURES END #14 (WEEKLY) $2.99
ALEX + ADA #8 $2.99
NAILBITER #4 (MR) $2.99
MOON KNIGHT #6 $3.99
ROCKET RACCOON #2 $3.99
LEGENDARY STAR-LORD #2 $3.99
WOODS #4 $3.99

Stark

Banned
Pretty new to comics outside of the readings related to the MCU, was wondering which Deadpool run and Black Panther run to read/start with?

And open to any recommendations outside of Marvel/DC. Heard Trees was good?

Trees is only three issues in, but I've been enjoying it so far. Otherwise, on the non-Marvel/DC front, definitely check out Saga, Deadly Class, Velvet, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, and The Wicked + The Divine.

Pretty new to comics outside of the readings related to the MCU, was wondering which Deadpool run and Black Panther run to read/start with?

I haven't read it myself, but the current Deadpool series is apparently the best one in years. I heard it gets good around the second arc but someone could probably give a more specific issue to start with. Other than that, Cable and Deadpool is a really fun series. It's collected across three volumes of Deadpool & Cable Ultimate Collection if you want to buy it physically.

There's a lot of good Image stuff out there right now. My favorite ongoings from them right now are Sex Criminals, Deadly Class, Black Science, and Rat Queens-- which are all very easy to just jump into. The first volume of each can be purchased physically for like ~$6 or so online, so it's cheap to try one of them out. Saga is really popular if you wanna try that, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Vyer

Morrison's Arkham Asylum creeped me out. With the art the whole thing kept me tremendously uneasy while I read it. Of course I was like 12 at the time.

shit like
the dollhouse or the bugs spilling out of the mouth
messed me up.

Can someone who only watches the MCU jump into Age of Ultron -> Infinity relatively easily?

Don't bother with Age of Ultron, it's pretty much universally disliked. Unless you want to read an event about Captain America sitting down for half of it, it's really not worth it.

I really enjoyed Infinity but I wouldn't recommend events to anyone who isn't already invested in their universes. They can be kind of overwhelming if you aren't familiar with all of the characters. If you do want to try it out though, it is good.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

does marvel ruins count as a horror series? because although it isnt scary, that shit has stuck with me forever

Stark

Banned
Trees is only three issues in, but I've been enjoying it so far. Otherwise, on the non-Marvel/DC front, definitely check out Saga, Deadly Class, Velvet, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, and The Wicked + The Divine.

I haven't read it myself, but the current Deadpool series is apparently the best one in years. I heard it gets good around the second arc but someone could probably give a more specific issue to start with. Other than that, Cable and Deadpool is a really fun series. It's collected across three volumes of Deadpool & Cable Ultimate Collection if you want to buy it physically.

There's a lot of good Image stuff out there right now. My favorite ongoings from them right now are Sex Criminals, Deadly Class, Black Science, and Rat Queens-- which are all very easy to just jump into. The first volume of each can be purchased physically for like ~$6 or so online, so it's cheap to try one of them out. Saga is really popular if you wanna try that, I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. :) I'll pick those up for sure. And yeah, I definitely want to have a physical collection over digital as I prefer that. I've only got the new Moon Knight ordered up to 5 issues and am waiting on that.

Bii needs to be Kipps inker. Now we just need a colorist. The dream is alive.

I'm loving that avatar. Where's it from? I'm going to guess Legion. But only because the costume design on the dude looks vaguely familiar.

Yea that's legion. It's ultra boy and phantom girl

Yeah it's Ultra Boy and Phantom Girl. I switched to this after Lemire said his favorite Legionnaire is Ultra Boy. I can totally see why; The powers of Superman but the limitation of only being able to use one power at a time. It makes for a fun, easier to write version of that kind of character. Also, his romance with Phantom Girl is fun. He, the bad boy who used to run with gangs on his world and she a visitor from another dimension. How star crossed can you get?

Legion is awesome. But I only really got into DnAs Legion that seems to have been wiped from everyone's existence (not digital, no trades besides Legion Lost). But read Legion Lost(2001) if you haven't already. That's what got me into Legion. Waid's run was pretty good too but a complete reboot. I still need to check up on the Levitz classic run

I have the full run, in floppy! But you're right. It's a shame that they haven't been more proactive in getting older titles up digitally for people. Also, DnA Legion gave us
Ras al Ghul in the 31st Century
. How great an idea was that? IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

True story, GH sold me on Legion.

You never did give your impressions of the Johns Legion arc. I'd love to hear what you thought as someone who went into it fresh.

frye

i remember listening to matt seneca on a podcast and he said something like comics just isn't suited for horror in the ways film and prose can be -- all the weaknesses and few of the strengths -- and plus it's just plain hard to draw a scary picture when the reader can take the time to examine it

Don't bother with Age of Ultron, it's pretty much universally disliked. Unless you want to read an event about Captain America sitting down for half of it, it's really not worth it.

I really enjoyed Infinity but I wouldn't recommend events to anyone who isn't already invested in their universes. They can be kind of overwhelming if you aren't familiar with all of the characters. If you do want to try it out though, it is good.

Really liked the first half of Age of Ultron and Cap's moping was part of that. Really put some weight to the situation that if Cap was sitting it out, broken, shit got real.

I thought it was worth the read but I won't be buying the TPB. Those first three issues had me thinking about it. Then the rest of the series happened.

Really liked the first half of Age of Ultron and Cap's moping was part of that. Really put some weight to the situation that if Cap was sitting it out, broken, shit got real.

I thought it was worth the read but I won't be buying the TPB. Those first three issues had me thinking about it. Then the rest of the series happened.

I found the entire series completely boring, outside of issue #10 when something finally happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom