• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen 8' penises. Well I'm fairly sure they were 8'

I've not seen Yale's though.

My point was that you were using ' which represents feet, and not " which means inches. Unless you foreigners use some other convoluted..... nevermind. NO MORE PENIS TALK.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
uh yeah just keep reading Doom Patrol Kipp

in fact, lets all read Doom Patrol together

Was just about to read another issue actually. Haha

But yes, we should all read Doom Patrol together. That'd be a reading club book that could last us a good long while.

You didn't see what I did there?

Yeah let's stop talking about this. I don't feel like getting banned or riling up the movie snobs again.

Let's hurry on to the next page, now.

I don't have a recliner for the ComicsGAF Official Omnibus Reading Position...

I dunno I may just get that despite already owning the first trade. I have some spare cash now so I could go for it no problem honestly. I guess I should

Yeah, the individual volumes are probably going to go out of print now. It's worth it to get it all in one (heavy, horribly unweildy) convenient volume.

Hmm.

Change desktop, don't change desktop?

To what?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Are there any comics like Top Ten and as good? You know, superhero cop procedural in a superpowered city/world?

Are there any comics like Top Ten and as good? You know, superhero cop procedural in a superpowered city/world?

Are you asking is Top Ten is good, or is there anything as good as Top Ten that's like it?

Cuz not only is Top Ten awesome(my favorite Alan Moore work of the last decade, frankly), but so is Gotham Central.

Althane

Powers?

Edit: Gotham Central isn't about superpowered cops, though. I guess Powers technically isn't either, but, well, thems the breaks.

Both are pretty awesome.

Zombine

Banned
tumblr_inline_mh8sgdoL951qz4rgp.png

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Are you asking is Top Ten is good, or is there anything as good as Top Ten that's like it?

Cuz not only is Top Ten awesome(my favorite Alan Moore work of the last decade, frankly), but so is Gotham Central.

Top Ten is one of my favorite comics ever and my favorite Moore work. I reread it regularly, particularly cause of all the little cameos and details in each panel means you spot something new each time.

Top Ten is one of my favorite comics ever and my favorite Moore work. I reread it regularly, particularly cause of all the little cameos and details in each panel means you spot something new each time.

yeah, Gene Ha's artwork is really incredible on that series, the Absolute Edition does it a lot of favors. Its amusing that Alan Moore has cultivated the image of being a crusty old dude who just thinks superheroes are dumb and writes dark-ass stories, but its pretty clear he understands the appeal of the whole thing and can be downright hilarious when he wants to be. The character work and world building is so good that the exceptionally deft and dense plotting of the whole thing is just icing on the cake. And every single panel is bursting with little details.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
yeah, Gene Ha's artwork is really incredible on that series, the Absolute Edition does it a lot of favors. Its amusing that Alan Moore has cultivated the image of being a crusty old dude who just thinks superheroes are dumb and writes dark-ass stories, but its pretty clear he understands the appeal of the whole thing and can be downright hilarious when he wants to be. The character work and world building is so good that the exceptionally deft and dense plotting of the whole thing is just icing on the cake. And every single panel is bursting with little details.

I wish we had gotten more (or Moore had taken it with him like League) but I suppose 12 issues, a mini, and a one shot are more than many series get.

Kipp

Goodness. Doom Patrol is seriously fantastic. Thank you to all of you who convinced me to buy the omnibus. This is turning out to be my favorite Morrison book.

That whole Sunburst and his superhero reality TV show thing was amazing. And I just got introduced to Mr. Nobody and the Brotherhood of Dada. So awesome.

The art seems to just be getting better and better, too. The first handful of issues, it looked like fairly generic 90s art, but it's gradually coming into its own and looking quite nice.

I'm down, I need to order the rest of the series though. Sad that IST doesn't have volume 2 :/

Seriously. Whether you pick up the TPBs or the omnibus, you definitely need to get the rest of the series.
Just looked at the issues contained in the first TPB, and I guess I've only read one more issue than you have at this point, so knowing what you've read already, you probably don't need any further convincing. Haha

I see I should have just kept reading Judge Dredd and not checked in on the thread till tomorrow...

Which Judge Dredd stuff are you reading?

I hadn't really every thought about reading Top Ten, but I guess I really ought to try and do that. I didn't know it was so well-regarded.

Okay wow. Top 10...This is one I've been meaning to start but always slipped my mind. Now I'm forced to pick up that absolute edition.

The art is just, wow. I just picked up #1-3 on Comixology to get a short preview. Moore does it again.

Zombine

Banned
IST has been trying to figure out how to send me all the Hellboy Library Editions, Fear Agent, and Blacksad for a week. They shipped something to me, so I'm guessing they sent a mega box.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So has any run, outside of Morrison and Case's, done anything noteworthy with the Doom Patrol?

Kipp

IST has been trying to figure out how to send me all the Hellboy Library Editions, Fear Agent, and Blacksad for a week. They shipped something to me, so I'm guessing they sent a mega box.

I think you may have possibly managed to overwhelm IST.
Speaking of IST, I noticed that the moving sale has ended. The pressure is now off me to buy way too many Hellboy Library Editions at once. I'm slightly relieved. Haha

Zombine

Banned
So has any run, outside of Morrison and Case's, done anything noteworthy with the Doom Patrol?

No. That's why this run stands out. Morrison took a shitty book and made it interesting.

I think you may have possibly managed to overwhelm IST.
Speaking of IST, I noticed that the moving sale has ended. The pressure is now off me to buy way too many Hellboy Library Editions at once. I'm slightly relieved. Haha

The only things I failed to pick up were Wraith and Locke & Key, but Amazon's price for Wraith was pretty damn close to the sale
Price.

Kipp

^ Just when I thought we finally moved past the penis conversation...

I ordered the Doom Patrol omnibus, I'll join in on the fun this weekend

:D
Awesome.

I'm a slow reader (I probably average 2 issues a day), so I'm sure you'll be able to catch up with me before the end. I'm looking forward to our mini book club!

Who else was reading the omnibus right now, by the way? I can't remember who it was.

Also, I was inspired by the weirdness of Doom Patrol to draw something weirder than I usually draw. I think it's a ghost grandma or something. I don't really know. Kinda just freestyled.
Side note: I really hope I can figure out a style of shading that works for me. My stuff ends up looking fairly 2D without proper shading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom