• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worth it? Or should I wait? I don't think it'll go lower than this (other than the last issue).
I heard great things about it, willing to go all in (buy volume 1, read it ASAP, then decide about the rest).
Verdict? Yay or nay?

Do it and don't look back. ComicGAF won't ever fail you*.

statement is not 100% accurate

I'm In a weird position with Comixology #1. I am absolutely buying the Burnham cover of Multiversity, but I don't know if I should preorder it from Midtown, or hope that my shop gets an issue and nobody buys it.

When someone who works at my shop wants something they either don't stock it, hike the cover price up, or buy it when the place opens.

Yeah,, That's why I ordered my copy from Midtown,, Price wasn't to bad either. Plus they're still in stock, TFAW is out of stock and they're asking more.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Also let us take a moment to enjoy this cover

I am so incredibly hyped for Gotham Academy, Batgirl, and Catwoman. Plus the usual favourites Harley, Batman/&Robin/Eternal Batwoman, Grayson.

Hell, all of them.

Wait, what is this? Robins? Steph Robin??

What is this Gotham Academy thing as well? I really should read comics news sites but I find it takes away a lot of the suprises.

lexi

Banned
So... I haven't really posted in this thread before, lately I've found myself kinda getting into comics again after.... well, a long hiatus. Hi all!

So, this Marvel Unlimited thing seems like a pretty good deal, I dig Netflix and Spotify, I get great value out of those services, so I bit the bullet and subbed and.... What is with this app? Why can't it work like Netflix but for comics? It seems way harder than necessary to read a series and have it keep track of where I am in that series, am I asking too much?

I'm not even going to bring up the reader aspects of it which I find wanting. A little bit bummed.

Zombine

Banned
I did what you guys said and ordered on Amazon. It only takes like a day or so to get to me anyways.

Edit: and by Amazon I mean midtown.

At this point I can only assume Jenny Frison made a pact with a dark God.

Red Sonja #17
RSv2-17-Cov-A-Frison.jpg

So... I haven't really posted in this thread before, lately I've found myself kinda getting into comics again after.... well, a long hiatus. Hi all!

So, this Marvel Unlimited thing seems like a pretty good deal, I dig Netflix and Spotify, I get great value out of those services, so I bit the bullet and subbed and.... What is with this app? Why can't it work like Netflix but for comics? It seems way harder than necessary to read a series and have it keep track of where I am in that series, am I asking too much?

I'm not even going to bring up the reader aspects of it which I find wanting. A little bit bummed.
I've never used it but Marvel Unlimited sounds a bit wonky from everything I've heard. Last month we discovered that one of the early issues of Nova is completely missing a page for example.

My experience with Marvel Unlimited was marginally negative. Their Web interface is bad. I'd have felt justified just download dot CBRs of the stuff I was reading.

Tomodachi

I'm a novice comics reader and I too subscribed a few days ago to MU. I already read a lot and for the price it's a great service but yeah, the app is seriously lacking in many aspects, especially coming from comixology.
It crashes more than it should, it restarts randomly when you multitask from one app to the other, there are no manual or automatic bookmarks so when it does that you have to manually pick the page you were at. It's hard to follow a series, personally I add to the library the issue I have to read next from the last page of what I'm done reading and then go back to the library and delete the one I just finished. This way I only have what I need to read next in my library. It's not that slow but it's annoying, and you really don't keep a good track of what you have read so far.
Also, new releases much be checked manually, there's no "subscription" option anywhere. Oh and panel by panel reading in comixology is hundreds of times better. And there's no single-page landscape reading as well, which on iPad mini is a pretty annoying problem.

Still I would recommend it, I would have spent a fortune to read what I managed to do in just two days.

This is seriously good work.

Reading the first volume right now. Enjoying it.

I can confirm the second arc is alot of fun. Gains in the levity department.

Some time ago I posited that only women should be allowed to draw Red Sonja and holy shit do I stand by that statement.

Is it progressive of me that the thing I am admiring most is the quality of the folds and such in the cloak she is wearing? Then it's like, oh yeah, Sonja is still got it going on, y'know.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It'd be pretty weird for Stephanie to be Robin while she is still on the run and hasn't even met Batman yet. ;)

Don't remind me of the tattered mess the Robin situation is. It hurts my soul. When I have a kid I'm going to have to explain this shit to them.

"Well, there used to be all these Robins and it was awesome. And then they replaced them all and gutted it out and it all happened in five years which means Dick must have been about 20 when he was robin which makes NO SENSE and now Tim Drake was never even Robin to begin with ..."

"Dad why are you crying?"

Don't remind me of the tattered mess the Robin situation is. It hurts my soul. When I have a kid I'm going to have to explain this shit to them.

"Well, there used to be all these Robins and it was awesome. And then they replaced them all and gutted it out and it all happened in five years which means Dick must have been about 20 when he was robin which makes NO SENSE and now Tim Drake was never even Robin to begin with ..."

"Dad why are you crying?"

Haha.

Let's be honest though. It'll be the New New New 52 where everything is rebooted every issue and Marvel New Nower Now has places for inserts so whoever is currently playing the character in the movies can be slotted into the pages.

I've never read Red Sonja, is the art inside the book as good as the covers? I'm assuming it's not overly cheesecakey?

The series has always been more or less Conan-with-boobs. But Simone's run has actually been really good. It feels like she has a good grip on who Sonja is.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Haha.

Let's be honest though. It'll be the New New New 52 where everything is rebooted every issue and Marvel New Nower Now has places for inserts so whoever is currently playing the character in the movies can be slotted into the pages.

True :(

Honestly though, the Robins were probably my favourite thing in the whole of comics, especially coming off Morrison's run where he subtly recontextualised the family so Bruce and Dick were brothers (makes so much more sense with the timescale - if Bruce is 24ish at year one and Dick is 13 then at the apex of the old52 Bruce is 37 and Dick is 26). I know I'm banging the same old drum, but 5 years just doesn't make sense. Like, I've been at my current job for three years and it feels like barely a blink of an eye - at five years in, Batman is still fairly 'new'. And the Robins get completely screwed (how IS Damian 10 again?).

Baaaah :p

Would still kill for a "Robins" title where they're all training at the same time like a teenaged army. That I would be cool with, that's an interesting spin.

Superior Foes is ending :(

Looks like it fell into Marvel's cancellation range. Unfortunate, since it seems to have had quite the following amongst people who did read it.

New Warriors #7 17,304
Superior Foes of Spider-Man #13 16,903

These titles are very close to the same numbers that New Warriors and Superior Foes are pulling, so they could be in the danger zone, too.

All New Invaders
Secret Avengers
Elektra
All New Ultimates
All New X-Factor
All New Ghost Rider

On DC's side, loooool
Star Spangled War Stories Gi Zombie #1 18,762

Just fucking cancel it now.

Also, RIP Forever People. If only it had Batman in it.

I'm really sad. These two series were by far the best team books Marvel had out. And yes, that includes the books I haven't read.

I hope you guys give the trades a chance. Superior Foes has two out already and the first New Warriors trade is out next month. They were so much fun to read every month. Superior Foes was consistently hilarious and New Warriors became legitimately great once it got past the intro. A damn shame.

How fucking good is the current story line? How fucking good was the last story line? Beyond 2.0 is killing it.

And we're just approaching the real meat of this particular story. What will Terry do now that he is
confronting the man who killed his father. Someone whom he had started to work with, to fight crime, who seemed to be trying to amend for the things he had done. Especially now that he seems to have been Jokerized.

I have inappropriate gestures for everyone who didn't buy this book.

Can you really blame people though? I mean even I wouldn't have bought it except that Tim hyped it up, and I generally buy 4/5ths of DCs current line.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I hope you guys give the trades a chance. Superior Foes has two out already and the first New Warriors trade is out next month. They were so much fun to read every month. Superior Foes was consistently hilarious and New Warriors became legitimately great once it got past the intro. A damn shame.

As soon as I finally finish my Spider-Man Mainseries Tradepaperback Collection, I will concentrate on the Spin-Off books and Superior Foes is after the praise it got from all of you the first thing I will order.

I honestly think that as lesser Avengers books we get, as better it gets... Mighty and AI need now to go, than we have again an acceptable number of Avengers books in the stores...

I thought AI was already done and Mighty is on its way out?

I'm trade-waiting but liked the previous short run of Secret Avengers and am really looking forward to the newer book, hopefully it sticks around.

Really sad to see New Warriors go. Was happy Kaine had a home there.

Just ordered the 2nd Superior Foes trade and was hoping it wouldn't end soon. Absolutely loved the first book.

And we're just approaching the real meat of this particular story. What will Terry do now that he is
confronting the man who killed his father. Someone whom he had started to work with, to fight crime, who seemed to be trying to amend for the things he had done. Especially now that he seems to have been Jokerized.

Don't forget the revelation that
Babs was pregnant with Bruce's kid, and miscarries. That's some heavy shit.

Can you really blame people though? I mean even I wouldn't have bought it except that Tim hyped it up, and I generally buy 4/5ths of DCs current line.

See I typically give anything dealing with the New Gods at least a chance. I hope they at least give it a few months to try and find it's footing, maybe develop an audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom