• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Secret Avengers the follow up to Young Avengers or whatever the heck that Arcade death Island arc? Cause if so, that is probably safe, cause they seem to be doing "Seasons" with that particular title. It'd just end and be rebranded as whatever the next phase is. CORRECTED. Thanks Pai! :D

See I typically give anything dealing with the New Gods at least a chance. I hope they at least give it a few months to try and find it's footing, maybe develop an audience.

See, I'd have waited until this Green Lantern New Gods event to launch the Forever People title. Give them some proper hype.

Isn't Secret Avengers the follow up to Young Avengers or whatever the heck that Arcade death Island arc? Cause if so, that is probably safe, cause they seem to be doing "Seasons" with that particular title. It'd just end and be rebranded as whatever the next phase is.

That's Avengers Undercover.

Secret Avengers is the SHIELD team with of Fury Jr., Coulson, Hawkeye, Widow, Spider-Woman, Hill and MODOK.

Owzers

Superior Foes of Spidey vol 1 was fantastic, yet i didn't order the second trade. A combination of people talking about iffy issues and creative team fill-ins and a large backlog. I'll either get the second trade eventually at iST with an order or wait for MU.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I thought AI was already done and Mighty is on its way out?

I'm trade-waiting but liked the previous short run of Secret Avengers and am really looking forward to the newer book, hopefully it sticks around.

Really sad to see New Warriors go. Was happy Kaine had a home there.

Just ordered the 2nd Superior Foes trade and was hoping it wouldn't end soon. Absolutely loved the first book.

I have the bad feeling that Kaine will be killed of during Spider-Verse and Slott reintroduces the Original Scarlet Spider...

How many Issues of Superior Foes are still coming? There will be a third trade, right?

That's Avengers Undercover.

Secret Avengers is the SHIELD team with of Fury Jr., Coulson, Hawkeye, Widow, Spider-Woman, Hill and MODOK.

Oh. Missed that one when looking at the numbers. Thanks for the correction.

Avengers Undercover #7 16,705

OH BUT BY THE GRACE OF ALONSO HATH YOU NOT BEEN CANCELED.

My previous statement stands. I bet Undercover gets canceled relaunched into the next incarnation shortly.

I have the bad feeling that Kaine will be killed of during Spider-Verse and Slott reintroduces the Original Scarlet Spider...

How many Issues of Superior Foes are still coming? There will be a third trade, right?

god nooooo

Slott would get the shit list treatment if he does that

GAMEPROFF

Banned

My previous statement stands. I bet Undercover gets canceled relaunched into the next incarnation shortly.
Undercover (The follow-up to the one Hunger Games-adaption series) is a limited series. It wont be canceled until its completed

See, I'd have waited until this Green Lantern New Gods event to launch the Forever People title. Give them some proper hype.

NO! That makes FAR too much sense, we will have none of that here. Though I fully agree with you. I feel like some titles have a lot of potential but DC just doesn't know how to handle/market them. Vibe for instance. 1 it shouldn't have been titled Justice League of America's Vibe, it should have just been Vibe. 2 It should have come out with like a 2 or 3 issue big pay off story arc, so that the people who did try it out would spread the word of mouth. 3 Maybe hell a tie in/cross over issue which I know a lot of people hate, but I get it gets readers and some of them might actually stay.

NO! That makes FAR too much sense, we will have none of that here. Though I fully agree with you. I feel like some titles have a lot of potential but DC just doesn't know how to handle/market them. Vibe for instance. 1 it shouldn't have been titled Justice League of America's Vibe, it should have just been Vibe. 2 It should have come out with like a 2 or 3 issue big pay off story arc, so that the people who did try it out would spread the word of mouth. 3 Maybe hell a tie in/cross over issue which I know a lot of people hate, but I get it gets readers and some of them might actually stay.

Shin pls. Vibe was doomed from the moment they decided to make a book called Vibe about Vibe. Attaching the JLA name to it had the best chance to get people who were also picking up the new JLA to check it out. The gambit failed and Vibe is forever lost to us until the hype from Flash the TV show spills over and they give him another chance, maybe.

And they gave him the Batman cover treatment. That was his last and only chance.

Undercover (The follow-up to the one Hunger Games-adaption series) is a limited series. It wont be canceled until its completed

Gotcha!

As soon as I finally finish my Spider-Man Mainseries Tradepaperback Collection, I will concentrate on the Spin-Off books and Superior Foes is after the praise it got from all of you the first thing I will order.
The great thing about Superior Foes is that, despite Spider-Man being in the title, it has nothing to do with Spider-Man. You don't have to know anything about the character or anything to read it. He was in the first issue for like two panels and one (shitty) filler issue.
I thought AI was already done and Mighty is on its way out?

I'm trade-waiting but liked the previous short run of Secret Avengers and am really looking forward to the newer book, hopefully it sticks around.

Really sad to see New Warriors go. Was happy Kaine had a home there.

Just ordered the 2nd Superior Foes trade and was hoping it wouldn't end soon. Absolutely loved the first book.

Mighty Avengers is being relaunched into Captain America and the Mighty Avengers or something so it's not going anywhere. It's gonna stick around for a bit I think.

Kaine's going to be in the Scarlet Spiders mini-series for Spider-Verse, so he'll be around for a little at least. Yost isn't writing it though which is a huge shame since he really made the character into someone special.
I'm more worried about the fate of Aracely :(

The second Superior Foes trade was kind of crummy just because it has less issues than it was originally going to and two of the five issues are filler issues. One of them is terrible too. If you're ok with digital I'd say just pick up 7, 8, and 9 digitally and save yourself a few bucks. The third trade should be straight Spencer and Lieber so it'll be great. Hopefully they release a hardcover once it's all done.

Marvel treated the series pretty poorly this year though. After issue 9 they released 10 one week later. 10 was a filler issue and while it wasn't bad, it was kind of pointless. Then a couple of weeks later we got 11 which was another filler issue and it was garbage. We got three issues in less than one month. To top it off, they bumped up the price to $3.99 to try and make up for the low sales. Oh and you know how $3.99 books come with digital codes? 11 didn't. So the first issue you had to spend more on was a shitty issue and it didn't even come with a code. Issue 12 didn't come out until June, which was almost two months after 11.

Shin pls. Vibe was doomed from the moment they decided to make a book called Vibe about Vibe. Attaching the JLA name to it had the best chance to get people who were also picking up the new JLA to check it out. The gambit failed and Vibe is forever lost to us until the hype from Flash the TV show spills over and they give him another chance, maybe.

But.....I liked Vibe. :(

What are people asking him on the app? Did some one ask him how to draw feet yet?

Infinity Man is getting cancelled too?! I only read the first two issues but it was legit.

Today sucks.

edit: or not. I'm going to go and lay down and contemplate life.

I honestly think that as lesser Avengers books we get, as better it gets... Mighty and AI need now to go, than we have again an acceptable number of Avengers books in the stores...

AI was cancelled ages ago.

Cancelled with #10, they were slated for 12 but low sales caused the book to end early. Hopeless has said he is moving on (he is already working on Spider-Woman).

tim1138

GrandHarrier you need to stop making people think Forever People has been canceled yo. The five of us here enjoying it may be enough to at least get eight issues out of the book.

All New Ultimates will end with issue twelve. And hey look! A Mike Marts crony on Amazing X Men to replace the regular series writers of akyle and Yost.

Sothpaw

So I'm pretty new to comics. Just bought a year of Marvel Unlimited because it is great to sit outside and read on my Kindle Fire while my son is playing.

Anyway I decided to start from the beginning to get a foundation, so I read the first 10 Fantastic Four titles from the 1960's. Only thing is, the titles are not showing up in the "Digital Comics I've Read" section of my account. I can add comics to "My Must Reads", but nothing I read ever shows up in the "Digital Comics I've Read" section. Anyone here have experience with Marvel Unlimited know what's going on? It would be cool to have a list of comics I have already read.

Superior Foes! You were so young and the source of so many great reaction images! Noooooooo!

At least I'll always have my tiny Boomerang sketch.

Messi

All New Ultimates will end with issue twelve. And hey look! A Mike Marts crony on Amazing X Men to replace the regular series writers of akyle and Yost.

All-New Ultimates was a pile of dogshit that got 12 issues too many.

I dropped Amazing X-Men after Aaron left. Dat hug tho.

arkon

Being a limited series doesn't mean they won't cancel it early and give the creative team fewer issues to complete the story.

Chinner

Banned
cover for punisher #12
0ZnADFQ.jpg
hopefully this ends the arc of punisher repeatedly getting caught every issue.

also fade out is out tomorrow. any pre-buzz on it?

Sweet Punisher cover

-

Ok,, So I read that Multiversity is a 9 issue mini-series.
Are there going to be more tie-in stories or whatever? Like Original Sin for example and its tie-in stories (e.g. Original SinS)

Zombine

Banned
Sweet Punisher cover

-

Ok,, So I read that Multiversity is a 9 issue mini-series.
Are there going to be more tie-in stories or whatever? Like Original Sin for example and its tie-in stories (e.g. Original SinS)

Multiversity is two bookend issues, and tie-in original stories in the middle.

tim1138

Is Forever People really cancelled already?

Also Tim, what are you going todo about the Godhead event. Buy just FP or the whole event?

Forever People is not canceled, god dammit GH, look what you caused.

I'll buy the FP tie ins (Mecha Darkseid!), but I wouldn't touch the rest of that mess with a 10 ft pool.

Is Forever People really cancelled already?

Also Tim, what are you going todo about the Godhead event. Buy just FP or the whole event?

Forever People is not canceled, god dammit GH, look what you caused.

I'll buy the FP tie ins (Mecha Darkseid!), but I wouldn't touch the rest of that mess with a 10 ft pool.

Haha. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that it was canceled. Just that it is going to be sooner rather than later if Highfather doesn't intervene and save it.

I on the other hand, am excited about this GL event. It seems like it's going to be fun.

Drayco21

New Warriors is done? Man, fuck this industry, guess it's time to stop caring again until Yost gets another ongoing with Kaine and Aracely in it.

BluWacky

I just got my copy of the Trillium TPB:

I don't always love what I've read by Jeff Lemire. While I find Sweet Tooth admirable I don't really care for bleak post-disaster America settings (a slightly odd distaste, perhaps, but it's that "everything is shit, innocence leads to misery" feeling that puts me off things like The Walking Dead as well) and The Underwater Welder was interesting but perhaps a little simplistic. I have nothing but admiration for his artistic talents, however, for his often beautiful impressionistic watercolour artwork (is that the right phrase?), which here is seen sparingly - particularly in surrealistic flashbacks to the nightmares of World War I.

I feel like I want another issue or two of Trillium to really make it satisfying narratively, or maybe just a little more at the end - but then every time I think I have a quibble about it, I realise that the book does pretty much explain itself throughout. Maybe it's just that it's jammed with ideas and I would like to see more of them.
Were the colonists on board the Arc somehow immune to the Craul, or did they just outrun it? Had they been vaccinated with the Trillium in the "new" timeline? I wasn't quite sure.

Anyway, that aside I think it's fantastic. It's soft sci-fi, no doubt - barely even sci-fi, really, save that half of it takes place in the future - but Nika and William are well characterised and the pacing and writing are excellent, along with Lemire's traditionally evocative artwork. The final issue in particular is wonderful artistically,
as they pass through the black hole
being a favourite moment.

Wholeheartedly recommended.

In 6 months, time runs out!
Cuz that's when Avengers Age of Ultron comes out. "Look, the plan was always for Steve Rogers and Thor Odinson to go back to their roles in six months time. It wasn't based on some arbitrary deadline of the release of a major motion picture. It's based on these series covering the second and third trimesters, with Original Sin Act three being the first. We are giving birth to a new generation of Marvel readers."

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Cuz that's when Avengers Age of Ultron comes out. "Look, the plan was always for Steve Rogers and Thor Odinson to go back to their roles in six months time. It wasn't based on some arbitrary deadline of the release of a major motion picture. It's based on these series covering the second and third trimesters, with Original Sin Act three being the first. We are giving birth to a new generation of Marvel readers."
Thor and Rogers were even shown in the Rage of Ultron Previews, which will release together with the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom