• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

So I finally caught up on the second half of Batman Zero Year, reading #26-33. The whole thing ended up being much better than I thought it would be when the event was announced. Also some top notch art in those final 4 issues.

fauxtrot

Banned
Whew, well that was a hell of a week off... how am I supposed to catch up on the DOZENS of pages I missed? I didn't even get to talk about last week's comics, either!

Ah well, this week I begin my road to learning how to be a colorist. From here on out, no more crayons for this man!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Hell yeah it does, I can't wait for that.

Check this out, I got it a year or so ago and it's great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0847836622/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That looks really cool! I might have to pick that up sometime! Thanks for the recommendation.

It's kind of funny, I've never really been into proper punk music (though I really dig folk punk stuff), but I love the whole history and culture of it. I was actually assigned this book, Sells Like Teen Spirit, for one of the courses I took in school. I thought it was incredibly interesting. It was a great overview of the history of punk and the culture surrounding it.
Just remembered that that book was where I learned about one of my now-favorite bands, Uncle Tupelo, too.

Also, if it crosses your mind when PunkRockPaperScissors releases, would you mind reminding me that it did? I'm hoping it'll come out on IST since it's going to be published by Image, but if IST doesn't end up having it since it's not comics-related, I'm paranoid that I'll forget about it and not end up getting it. Haha

Whew, well that was a hell of a week off... how am I supposed to catch up on the DOZENS of pages I missed? I didn't even get to talk about last week's comics, either!

Ah well, this week I begin my road to learning how to be a colorist. From here on out, no more crayons for this man!

Welcome back, fauxtrot! I hope you had a nice vacation!
Also, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with my drawings if you're still up for practicing your coloring on them!

fauxtrot

Banned
Welcome back, fauxtrot! I hope you had a nice vacation!
Also, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with my drawings if you're still up for practicing your coloring on them!

Definitely! As soon as I do a few practice runs, I'll get to work on one of yours. Let me know which you'd like me to try first. Oh, and if you can send me it in as large a file size as possible, that'll make it easier for doing zoomed in work, etc.

I've been really busy lately and my catching up list just keeps on growing. And my drive to read keeps slipping away.

Then I remembered how much I love the medium when I read Zero. I'm in love with this series.

The reduced wrong rronglist from last week is now valid.
List time!

• Batman And Robin #34
  • Batman Eternal #20
  • Multiversity #1
  • Wicked + The Divine #3
  • Daredevil #7
  • Ms. Marvel #7
  • New Avengers #23
  • Secret Avengers #7
  • Delinquents #1

Messi

Folks who collect Bombshells. Big Bad Toy store restocked Supergirl, Ivy and Wonder Woman. Pick up Supergirl quick if you want it as it will go first. First one sold out super quick.

Kipp

Definitely! As soon as I do a few practice runs, I'll get to work on one of yours. Let me know which you'd like me to try first. Oh, and if you can send me it in as large a file size as possible, that'll make it easier for doing zoomed in work, etc.

Sounds good! I'll send you a PM in a bit!

Zombine

Banned
A little something for Zombine in the Image solicits:

tumblr_lfujxdwWBo1qafugd.gif

Read The Hunter again...its crazy how he's such an inhuman asshole and yet you just can't stop reading his books. Cooke's art helps of course

parker_1.jpg

I've been doing a bunch of inking lately; just approaching someone else's work in that way is really interesting. I'd love to have the chance to do some work on originals. Capullo's stuff just sketched is so amazing.

I need to start drawing more again. It's been a few months since I sat down with my sketchbook and bothered. Fucking work and real life!

fauxtrot

Banned
I've been doing a bunch of inking lately; just approaching someone else's work in that way is really interesting. I'd love to have the chance to do some work on originals. Capullo's stuff just sketched is so amazing.

I need to start drawing more again. It's been a few months since I sat down with my sketchbook and bothered. Fucking work and real life!

Dude, try your hand at inking one of Kipp's pieces and I'll color it afterward! It'll be just like working in the big time... at least that's what I tell myself. :)

Zombine

Banned

Well damn. Depending on your style a PM may be incoming.

Dude, try your hand at inking one of Kipp's pieces and I'll color it afterward! It'll be just like working in the big time... at least that's what I tell myself. :)

Haha that would be fun!

Well damn. Depending on your style a PM may be incoming.

I sketch in a more gestural/loose style; slowly building details. In terms of comics I'm not a fan of the cleaner stuff; stuff that is typical of a lot of superhero issues (though there are exceptions of course). Tim Sale is one guy I really gravitate towards in terms of true appreciation. Mignola, Matteo Scalera, Kevin O'Neill, Darwyn Cooke, Frank Miller...

I should have xerox'd the Greg Capullo image I've been working on at work the past few days. Perhaps tomorrow I'll upload. It's not the original pencils, obviously, but even just lightening the mitdtones/highlights allows me some freedom to make it seem less like inking by numbers :p.

Kipp

I sketch in a more gestural/loose style; slowly building details. In terms of comics I'm not a fan of the cleaner stuff; stuff that is typical of a lot of superhero issues (though there are exceptions of course). Tim Sale is one guy I really gravitate towards in terms of true appreciation. Mignola, Matteo Scalera, Kevin O'Neill, Darwyn Cooke, Frank Miller...

I should have xerox'd the Greg Capullo image I've been working on at work the past few days. Perhaps tomorrow I'll upload. It's not the original pencils, obviously, but even just lightening the mitdtones/highlights allows me some freedom to make it seem less like inking by numbers :p.

Awesome. I'm pretty sure we have the exact same taste in style.

And you should definitely upload the Capullo inking! I'd love to see that!

Kipp

Man, would it not be the coolest thing to do a comic fully written, pencilled, inked, and colored by Comics GAF?

I wonder how hard it would be to get a half-decent, fully-completed comic published by one of those random, small publishers. That would be too cool just to have a published comic.

The only unfortunate thing is that I would by far be the weakest link. Haha. I'll practice hard and we will make this a reality.

MG310

Folks who collect Bombshells. Big Bad Toy store restocked Supergirl, Ivy and Wonder Woman. Pick up Supergirl quick if you want it as it will go first. First one sold out super quick.

Have mine ordered...only one I don't have yet...though I might skip Stargirl.

Messi

Have mine ordered...only one I don't have yet...though I might skip Stargirl.

I am debating over Hawkgirl and Stargirl.

How have they not announced that Batwoman bombshell. People loved the art for it. Id be there day one. I am just waiting for preorders to start for Lois Lane.

fauxtrot

Banned
Yessss... lets do it! I bet I could get my roommate to draw a short (less than 8-page) comic, written by me (and maybe another ComicsGAF pal?). She's extremely talented, but doesn't want to do anything too time consuming... believe me, I've tried so many times.

edit - I also have a friend that I do a monthly gaming podcast with that is a regular on GAF (though he's banned for another month or so) that I think would write/draw something amazing.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I've Morrison but not that much.

It's pretty much my favorite cover this year, but I'm wondering if it's a "we made up this fucking price" variant and I need to scour ebay for an affordable one, or a regular price variant that I may be able to score tomorrow?

Zombine

Banned
I'd be down to participate in some kind of GAF indie-comic compilation. Shit could get mad hipster, though.

Also, yo, did you guys pay 17 bones for Burnham's Multiversity variant? http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Multiversity+%231+Cover+D+I_1375138

Shit is purchased bro. It's like $20.22 after tax. It'll be here in a day or so.

It's pretty much my favorite cover this year, but I'm wondering if it's a "we made up this fucking price" variant and I need to scour ebay for an affordable one, or a regular price variant that I may be able to score tomorrow?

Midtown is always face value. Indie shops are gonna jack that price up like crazy.

Yessss... lets do it! I bet I could get my roommate to draw a short (less than 8-page) comic, written by me (and maybe another ComicsGAF pal?). She's extremely talented, but doesn't want to do anything too time consuming... believe me, I've tried so many times.

edit - I also have a friend that I do a monthly gaming podcast with that is a regular on GAF (though he's banned for another month or so) that I think would write/draw something amazing.

Whatever we do, whatever we coordinate, it would be lots of fun.

I'd be down to participate in some kind of GAF indie-comic compilation. Shit could get mad hipster, though.

Also, yo, did you guys pay 17 bones for Burnham's Multiversity variant? http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Multiversity+%231+Cover+D+I_1375138

That's pretty awesome, but I probably wouldn't pay it personally. Though honestly, that's one of the more tempting ones and very unique.

I ended up buying the Blank variant, At the time when I ordered there were no images I could find of the others one.

Cheska

I just bought those two OGNs on CMX (they were cheaper that way).

My IST orders are lapping each other at this point

Edit: Hm i had a large order and its shipped but when i clicked on the details I still see sever marked white. will IST send multiple shipments on an order? Or is this just their site acting up?

zeeaykay

I just bought those two OGNs on CMX (they were cheaper that way).

My IST orders are lapping each other at this point

Edit: Hm i had a large order and its shipped but when i clicked on the details I still see sever marked white. will IST send multiple shipments on an order? Or is this just their site acting up?
CMX?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Reread Final Crisis #7 and Action Comics #9, bring on the Multiversity!!!

I really think Action #9 is under-appreciated. It definitely appeared in the wrong run of comics, but holy hell if it isn't one of the best "Superman" stories I've ever read.

Kipp

(Using spoiler tags for super minor spoilers just so that the people who are reading it for the first time right now get to be just as surprised at the amazingness as me.)
Just read the second issue of the "Painting That Ate Paris" arc of Doom Patrol where the arc really gets going and they
actually go into the painting.
. So awesome. I love that they
changed the art styles for the different levels of the painting
. Also, I'm pretty sure Quiz is my all time favorite villain now. The superpower of
having any superpower that you don't think of
is brilliant. I absolutely loved
the fight between her and Rebis where all three beings inside Rebis are naming out superpowers.
The Fog is a pretty great villain as well.
The constant bickering of the people/souls trapped in his fog is pretty great.

8 pages is still a pretty big amount of work. Thats about 60 hours of work just to draw the thing. Unless you have a pretty simple/cartoony style.

I spent way too much time trying to work that one out.
Heh it's an acronym I use because my iPad always tries to autocorrect the name. Plus I'm lazy.

And from their DC sale. Since I had 52 and the other crisis minis in digital form I picked up crisis of infinite earths. I read this a couple years ago and it was nuts. Fortunately I was well versed in the DC universe prior but I try to imagine being a comic reader back then reading that event. Before events were that commonplace. And Perez going character splash page crazy in HD format? Yes please!

Catching up on some older books and Spider-Man 2099 #2 was so good.

The page where he throws Liz out the window had me laughing my ass off.

The better Spider book right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom