• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuz that's when Avengers Age of Ultron comes out. "Look, the plan was always for Steve Rogers and Thor Odinson to go back to their roles in six months time. It wasn't based on some arbitrary deadline of the release of a major motion picture. It's based on these series covering the second and third trimesters, with Original Sin Act three being the first. We are giving birth to a new generation of Marvel readers."

"The thing you have to understand, unlike that other company across the street(or should be across the country? *laughs*), we value our creators. So when Hickman comes to us with a plan, we listen. Does it line up with the new Avengers movie? Of course it does! We'd be crazy not to have a new universe ready for potential new readers! That's why when we launch the new $5.99 Avengers Initiative, readers will understand that such a high valued #1 is obviously the be the best place to start reading."

Thor and Rogers were even shown in the Rage of Ultron Previews, which will release together with the movie.

pretty sure that was a flashback, Avengers Cat-Beast and all that

tim1138

Before Watchmen. The crossover tie-ins will come after, and they won't involve Morrison. He even made a travel guide for DC writers to follow.

You're kinda skewing things here Spike. Unlike the Watchmen scenario, Morrison has been very open in interviews about wanting other writers to tell stories in these worlds. That was one of his inspirations for Multiversity, to map all the alternate Earths so other creators can use them to tell lasting stories.

We all know that the closest we'll get are 51 new Batman books, but the intent was to open things back up.

ViewtifulJC said:
"The thing you have to understand, unlike that other company across the street(or should be across the country? *laughs*), we value our creators. So when Hickman comes to us with a plan, we listen. Does it line up with the new Avengers movie? Of course it does! We'd be crazy not to have a new universe ready for potential new readers! That's why when we launch the new $5.99 Avengers Initiative, readers will understand that such a high valued #1 is obviously the be the best place to start reading."

Hahaha, you and Rafa are killing it with these.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
AXISHOBG2014002cov.jpg

:D

Vibranium

Banned

You nailed Axel's speech patterns. So how many years until he's gone? *laughs* I've got a countdown going on. Wouldn't mind a female EiC, though hopefully someone who is a little more experimental with pricing and can talk to fans without being so aggravating.

Kids are not going to pay $3.99 (or $5.99 for the last issue of Hawkeye) for comic books, and even trades can often be very expensive depending where you live. This is part of the reason (besides the crazy Marvel continuity) why they have problems pulling in the movie audience. I personally think that some sort of subscription plan for the latest monthly titles (digital/maybe physical) is the way to go in the future.

Also, Ms. Marvel is $2.99 and is holding its own in sales charts, so maybe if they want to cancel less books they should try that for more characters.

Messi

You nailed Axel's speech patterns. So how many years until he's gone? *laughs* I've got a countdown going on. Wouldn't mind a female EiC, though hopefully someone who is a little more experimental with pricing and can talk to fans without being so aggravating.

Kids are not going to pay $3.99 (or $5.99 for the last issue of Hawkeye) for comic books, and even trades can often be very expensive depending where you live. This is part of the reason (besides the crazy Marvel continuity) why they have problems pulling in the movie audience. I personally think that some sort of subscription plan for the latest monthly titles (digital/maybe physical) is the way to go in the future.

Also, Ms. Marvel is $2.99 and is holding its own in sales charts, so maybe if they want to cancel less books they should try that for more characters.

Hawkeye moving to 3.99 was a scummy move by Marvel.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Next month should have been Multiversity month. 52 issues, one for each universe and then the two bookends. A DC One Million for our times. Woulda been sweet.

Instead we get Future's End.

...PLUS 3-D COVERS.

Fuck creativity, give me more dumb shit on comic covers.

I was more amused at Daredevil getting cancelled, relaunching with the same damn creative team and costing a buck more.

I mean I get it, cuz his career in NYC is done, brand new start, #1 woot, but why the extra buck my nigga. You lucky this book is good, jerks.

Vibranium

Banned
Will we get one more Kate issue?

Yeah, it's coming up I think.

I was more amused at Daredevil getting cancelled, relaunching with the same damn creative team and costing a buck more.

I mean I get it, cuz his career in NYC is done, brand new start, #1 woot, but why the extra buck my nigga. You lucky this book is good, jerks.

Money. And yet they still go on about attracting kids and the mainstream audience...

Axel better not ever leave. He needs to wield his power to balance out the DC b-listers Marts is pulling into the fold.

Bii

Axis is reminding me a lot of House of M

Is that a compliment? I thought House of M was decent at best; well, compared to other event books, House of M was a good read.

-

Black Science #7

Black Science #7 kicks off the second arc and looks like
Kadir
is being thrusted into the role of our unlikely hero. I'm excited to see how all of this plays out especially since he will try and keep the promise he's made in the previous issue. Of course, that's not so easy when all of these aliens and mysterious beings are trying to capture/kill his promise.

It's strange, as much as I like Grant, I'm perfectly okay with
Kadir taking the lead now
. He provides that edge where you just don't know what he'll do.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Edit: IST just updated with the new stuff, if anyone's interested.
Luckily/unfortunately there's nothing I want this week.

A little something for Zombine in the Image solicits:

VELVET "It's MS. actually" T-SHIRT
Men’s & Women’s sizes

S-XL $19.99
XXL $21.99

The perfect shirt for any comic convention! Velvet demands respect, at all times, and so do you.

velvet_TSHIRT.jpg

Zombine

Banned
I think IST may have fucked up my first order ever. They sent me a slip saying they sent me Blacksad vol 1 & 2 and I only received the first one.

Edit: looks like they sent a "temporarily unavailable" letter along with it.

Messi

Well this is fucked up.

Yale Stewart Facebook said:
My mom just informed me that people are calling HER HOME, LOOKING FOR ME, AND LEAVING THREATENING MESSAGES ON HER ANSWERING MACHINE.

Pros, I NEED SOME OF YOU to get my back on this.

This just crossed a VERY real line.

EDIT:

This has NOTHING TO DO with people being upset that I'm taking a break from JL8 (at least one person has come to this conclusion). This is about the Ferguson wallpaper and allegations that I've been sending unsolicited graphic photos to women in the industry.

frye

Comicbros, how was the Brightest Day event?

That was when I jumped off the GL books for good, but it was supposed to be a launchpad for a bunch of new series which didn't pan out because ~new 52~

Of the two biweeklies that launched out of Blackest Night, though, I it was Justice League: Generation Lost that got more love iirc

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Marvel's November 2014 Solicitations bring disappointing news for fans of "Superior Foes of Spider-Man" and "New Warriors" -- both series will see their final issues come November.

Fuck this. Fuck you. Fuck everything.

I'm out Marvel. I am all the way fucking out.

Woah what the heck, I just read Thanos Rising and there's a pretty big implication here.

Seeing Death can't have all been in his head, she shed a tear when she left him in the Cancerverse and they showedthem together when Drax killed Thanos.

Was that Death fake and later on he meets the real one? I can't imagine the real Death begging him like she she did at the end

Cheska

That was when I jumped off the GL books for good, but it was supposed to be a launchpad for a bunch of new series which didn't pan out because ~new 52~

Of the two biweeklies that launched out of Blackest Night, though, I it was Justice League: Generation Lost that got more love iirc

S'all right. I wouldn't label it as anything super special. It was a way to backdoor some lost characters into DC and then the reboot happened.

Like Fyre said, I enjoyed Generation Lost, the most, out of it.

Interesting. The omnibus is only $35 at IST this week, so it's tempting to add it to my order.

Fuck yeah Image Solicits
JUST THE TIPS HC
THE TIPS: MATT FRACTION & CHIP ZDARSKY
THE ART / COVER: CHIP ZDARSKY
NOVEMBER 26 / 96 PAGES / FC / M / $12.99
Just in time to come down everybody’s chimneys this holiday season, the creators of SEX CRIMINALS are proud-ish to present JUST THE TIPS: a curated collection of tips, tricks, moves, advice, suggestions, stories, and confessions, how-tos, do’s, don’ts, and do-agains-but-slower-this-times from the unmissable letters column of SEX CRIMINALS, alongside all-new material specially created for this collection only. Finally, a book to teach you how to not be a sex dumby no more. It’s this book.
SAGA BOOK ONE HC
STORY: BRIAN K. VAUGHAN
ART / COVER: FIONA STAPLES
NOVEMBER 25 / 504 PAGES / FC / M / $49.99
At long last, a deluxe hardcover of the Eisner and Hugo Award-winning SAGA is finally here!
Collecting the first 18 issues of the smash-hit series, this massive edition features a striking new cover, as well as special extras, including never-before-seen sketches, script pages, and a roundtable discussion with the creators about how SAGA is really made. Altogether, this hardcover contains over 500 pages for less than fifty bucks!
Written by Eisner Award-winning "Best Writer" BRIAN K. VAUGHAN (Y: The Last Man, The Private Eye) and drawn by Harvey Award-winning "Best Artist" Fiona Staples (Mystery Society, North 40), SAGA is the story of Hazel, a child born to star-crossed parents from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war. Now, Hazel's fugitive family must risk everything to find a peaceful future in a harsh universe that values destruction over creation. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in a sexy, subversive drama for adults that Entertainment Weekly called, "The kind of comic you get when truly talented superstar creators are given the freedom to produce their dream book."
Collects SAGA #1-18
CASANOVA, VOL. 2: GULA - THE COMPLETE EDITION HC
STORY: MATT FRACTION
ART / COVER: FÁBIO MOON
NOVEMBER 12 / 168 PAGES / FC / M / $29.99
When is Casanova Quinn? Everyone’s favorite hedonistic rogue double agent turned good guy for E.M.P.I.R.E. vanishes and a search through time and space breaks out to find him—while his twin sister Zephyr gets up to all kinds of mayhem to take advantage of his absence that will culminate in a brazen attack on E.M.P.I.R.E itself...and her own father. At long last, all the covers, all the content, all the comics, between two gorgeous covers. By MATT FRACTION (SEX CRIMINALS, SATELLITE SAM, Hawkeye) and FÁBIO MOON (BPRD, Daytripper) and GABRIEL BÁ (Umbrella Academy, Daytripper).
Collects CASANOVA: GULA #1-4
LAZARUS BOOK ONE HC
STORY: GREG RUCKA
ART: MICHAEL LARK
COVER: OWEN FREEMAN
NOVEMBER 19 / 256 PAGES / FC / M / $34.99
This prestige hardcover collects the first two arcs of the critically acclaimed and New York Times bestselling series; “Family,” which introduces Forever Carlyle and her Family as they are brought to the brink of war in a future of economic collapse; and “Lift,” where Forever uncovers a terrorist plot against her Family while another family altogether, the Barrets, take desperate measures to escape their life of poverty. PLUS! Never-before-seen work by MICHAEL LARK and graphic designer ERIC TRAUTMANN, and exclusive world-building content.
Collects LAZARUS #1-9 with four-page preview and additional content.
REVIVAL DELUXE COLLECTION, VOL. 2 HC
STORY: TIM SEELEY
ART: MIKE NORTON
COVER: JENNY FRISON
NOVEMBER 19 / 296 PAGES / FC / M / $34.99
For one day in rural central Wisconsin, the dead came back to life. Now it's up to Officer Dana Cypress to find the murderer of her undead sister and maintain order in a town separated by ideological differences. When Dana is called to assist the FBI in New York City, she'll see how big the mystery is, and how dangerous the world can be.
Collects REVIVAL #12-23, CHEW/REVIVAL, and additional material

PsychBat!

Banned
GUARDIANS 3000 #2
DAN ABNETT (W) • GERARDO SANDOVAL (A/C)
Cover BY ALEX ROSS
VARIANT COVER BY GERARDO SANDOVAL
ROCKET RACCOON & GROOT VARIANT BY TBA
• The Guardians and their reluctant cosmic allies find themselves caught in a deathtrap ambush... but who is out for their blood? And with time collapsing, do they stand a hope of surviving?
• Guest-starring Gladiator of the Shi’Ar, the “original” Star-Lord, and an all-new Herald of.... you know who!
32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
*drools*

My wife owns all of Revival and it is one of her favorites and I have yet to read any of it. But anytime I get out the Image short box, this cover always catches my eye and I stare at it. For some reason, I really like it.

3804553-revival.jpg

ReAxion

My wife owns all of Revival and it is one of her favorites and I have yet to read any of it. But anytime I get out the Image short box, this cover always catches my eye and I stare at it. For some reason, I really like it.

3804553-revival.jpg

I like that one, too. I like the series, as well. :)

Messi

3804553-revival.jpg

That's because that cover is fantastic as is the cover for the first Hardcover

tim1138

I NEED this:

PUNKROCKPAPERSCISSORS TP
edited by: LEE LOUGHRIDGE

NOVEMBER 5 / 240 PAGES / BW / T+ / $29.99
7.5" x 10.75"

This is a book showcasing over 600 punk and hardcore flyers from the 1980s, focusing on the eastern United States.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Image solicits

https://imagecomics.com/content/view/image-comics-solicitations-for-november-2014
In for ODy-c and Tooth and Claw

Stil no sign of Nameless

PROPHET: EARTH WAR #1 (OF 6)

Nice, this finally got solicited. Now... when do we get Vol 4 of Prophet? This book has the strangest, longest delays in trades of any Image book.

Only this for me:
THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS, VOL. 5: THE COLD WAR TP

December will probably be loaded with a lot of arcs ending in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom