• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SUPERIOR FOES ENDING IN NOVEMBER NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

9LMGcGb.gif
I know your pain, brother :(

I checked Nick Spencer's twitter and it sounds like it's getting a proper ending at least. He mentioned that they were actually given more time than initially given so I think my theory about it originally ending with 15 wasn't too far off. I'll be sad to let it go, but at least it's getting a real ending.

New Warriors though? So so depressing. You can tell Yost had some threads he wanted to pick up later on and he will be able to. This is pretty much the end of Aracely too. Cancelled before the first trade even hit shelves :(
Catching up on some older books and Spider-Man 2099 #2 was so good.

The page where he throws Liz out the window had me laughing my ass off.

The better Spider book right now.
It really is. Makes me feel better about dropping Amazing!

lexi

Banned
So I'm pretty new to comics. Just bought a year of Marvel Unlimited because it is great to sit outside and read on my Kindle Fire while my son is playing.

Anyway I decided to start from the beginning to get a foundation, so I read the first 10 Fantastic Four titles from the 1960's. Only thing is, the titles are not showing up in the "Digital Comics I've Read" section of my account. I can add comics to "My Must Reads", but nothing I read ever shows up in the "Digital Comics I've Read" section. Anyone here have experience with Marvel Unlimited know what's going on? It would be cool to have a list of comics I have already read.

Having this same issue. Really annoying. :/

Cheska

Speaking of Avengers, I know I complained last month or so about Uncanny Avengers and not liking the Kang storyline. Well, I was able to find some cheap copies of the single issues to catch me up, and I'd like to retract my previous statements! When all was said and done, the saga ended up being truly something special. I can understand why so many of you have been praising Remender's work on it, there were a ton of scenes that really tugged at my heart strings, and he's managed to make me care for characters I would otherwise have ignored.

Praise blessed Remender.

My issue with the last arc of Uncanny Avengers is that now they're just
going to retcon all of the deaths and shit, and none of it is going to mean anything
. Typical Marvel. Also, fuck Kang. He's one of the most boring villains out there. :p

I bought this last week and have been meaning to ask. Who is the designer of this costume? I saw it on the shelf as Earth 2 Batman and loved it and bought it. Was this design from the nu52?

BvdHMViIIAAsc01.jpg

On Uncanny Avengers (just read the latest issue ;p), sadly Avenge the Earth Finale does not outdo The Dark Angel Saga Finale.

I don't know if Remender will ever peak as high in his Marvel work as that
last page of Angel and Psylocke in the snow looking at each other

Just need to vent on this for a second.

GAH! All-New X-men is painful. Keeping up with it because I want to support X-23, but good lord does Bendis not know how to write her at all. It's friggen horrible,
Laura sleeping with Warren on her first date? Honestly?
Does Bendis even READ the back stories of the characters he writes? Only somewhat decent part was the Emma/Jean thing, but it doesn't save a pretty bad issue overall. Someone else write X-men please, Bendis is just not suited for it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
He just gives a shit. He only cares for character backgrounds when he can controll them like he can in the Ultimate Spider-Man series.

Sorry, but why does Bendis need to give a shit about the intricacies of c-lister serieses that never built a big enough audience to sustain it?

I love Longshot but I'm not expecting Rick Remender to honor the character nuance in Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe because no one read the thing.

If a comic is published in the forest and no one is there to read it, should it count for continuity?

Hell fucking no. Let, frankly, better creators tell the stories they want. Is X-23 still a mopey clone of wolverine (or whatever her origin is, see, it doesn't even matter)? Check? Ok. Let's just tell an interesting story then.

I think he just ignores them. See: Guardians of the Earth *ahem* Galaxy.

Been staying away from that with the exception of the ANXM crossover stuff, did Gamorra lose her memory or something? SHe seemed especially weird.

Sorry, but why does Bendis need to give a shit about the intricacies of c-lister serieses that never built a big enough audience to sustain it?

I love Longshot but I'm not expecting Rick Remender to honor the character nuance in Longshot Saves The Marvel Universe because no one read the thing.

If a comic is published in the forest and no one is there to read it, should it count for continuity?

Hell fucking no. Let, frankly, better creators tell the stories they want. Is X-23 still a mopey clone of wolverine (or whatever her origin is, see, it doesn't even matter)? Check? Ok. Let's just tell an interesting story then.

She seems to do well enough to get tossed into a lot of different books, and had a fairly simple arc through Second Coming and her own series. It's not like he had a TON of research to do. Second, clearly you haven't read any of her stuff, but her Origin minis are some of the best character stuff to come out of the X franchise.

But keep on straw-manning.

If the stories in ANXM were interesting, I would give it a pass but every single arc has followed more or less the EXACT same structure.

1) The kids have been taken from the past, this isn't good
2) Something bad will happen because they were taken from the past.
3) We need to have arguments and conflict over what must be done, because you know, they were taken from the past.
4) Someone doesn't like how things turned out.
5) The team is shaken up, usually by someone leaving.

Oh, and intersperse fight scenes and Jean being the badass to end all badasses.

Every damn arc has had this. Now they are going to the Ultimate Universe, how much you wanna bet someone stays behind, for some reason?

Bendis is one of my favorite writers, and he hasn't dropped down into Loeb, or even worse, Miller territory, but the man's strengths are solo, street level books. Everything past that, just has a lot of characters that sound the same, and act like charactatures of themselves. Still, the man gets a lot of leeway from me for writing Alias, but he doesn't work well on an X-book.

frye

Bendis gets it worse than other people who do similar things but I think he invites it a bit by taking characters with just one or two distinctive authorial voices behind them (Marvel Boy, Sentry, Hood in his Avengers run, I guess X-23 in X-Men) and flattening them into his own... Bendis-y... voice.

PsychBat!

Banned
Been staying away from that with the exception of the ANXM crossover stuff, did Gamorra lose her memory or something? SHe seemed especially weird.
Like I said, Bendis largely ignores most of what made GotG interesting in the first place, continuity issues aside. First, the Guardians have been doing absolutely nothing pertaining to actually guarding the galaxy and just seem to monitor Earth like S.W.O.R.D. does. Also Bendis makes them out to be "space Avengers" which, as anyone who has read the DnA run or has seen the GotG movie knows, is not what they are. Not to mention Bendis dialogue.

Fortunately (I guess), we're going to be seeing what happened to Nova, Peter and Thanos in the Cancerverse soon. And things are starting to move forward with them heading towards the symbiote's home planet. We'll see how that goes.

Meanwhile, I'll be reading Guardians 3000. I hope this book kicks so much ass.

She seems to do well enough to get tossed into a lot of different books, and had a fairly simple arc through Second Coming and her own series. It's not like he had a TON of research to do. Second, clearly you haven't read any of her stuff, but her Origin minis are some of the best character stuff to come out of the X franchise.

But keep on straw-manning.

If the stories in ANXM were interesting, I would give it a pass but every single arc has followed more or less the EXACT same structure.

1) The kids have been taken from the past, this isn't good
2) Something bad will happen because they were taken from the past.
3) We need to have arguments and conflict over what must be done, because you know, they were taken from the past.
4) Someone doesn't like how things turned out.
5) The team is shaken up, usually by someone leaving.

Oh, and intersperse fight scenes and Jean being the badass to end all badasses.

Every damn arc has had this. Now they are going to the Ultimate Universe, how much you wanna bet someone stays behind, for some reason?

Bendis is one of my favorite writers, and he hasn't dropped down into Loeb, or even worse, Miller territory, but the man's strengths are solo, street level books. Everything past that, just has a lot of characters that sound the same, and act like charactatures of themselves. Still, the man gets a lot of leeway from me for writing Alias, but he doesn't work well on an X-book.

Not sure how straw manning applies here since it's an actual example. Maybe I don't know what straw manning means right.

Sorry. Multiversity brain.

You know, Birdie, I agree with you. If one becomes too beholden to back story and continuity it can stifle creativity. I've always been of the mind that, while continuity is a wonderful, beautiful thing that can enhance the medium and make it a delightful joy to connect the dots, it's not an absolute. But I'd go so far as to say it applies to all characters. I mean, how do you decide the cutoff? Average book sales? Time since last use?

So I picked up a few comics with some stuff I've been dying to read for far too long:
  • Superior Foes of Spider-Man #1-3
  • The Infinity Gauntlet
  • Avengers 04 - (Infinity)
  • Secret Avengers #6
  • Spider-Man 2099 #2
  • Original Sin #7
  • United States of Murder #3-4
I also picked up Robocop #2 because it was there and I needed it.
Did I miss anything good?

Loke13

For those who have read Saga I want to know, how is it? I was thinking about picking it up and just wanted to know what I'm in store for as for as story and characters.

For those who have read Saga I want to know, how is it? I was thinking about picking it up and just wanted to know what I'm in store for as for as story and characters.

It's a story about star crossed lovers from opposite sides of a war. But it doesn't deal with the initial romance so much as what happens afterwards when you have to actually have a relationship (and a kid) while on the run. Lots of bizarre but interesting world building. Most of the characters are relatable despite being unorthodox. The art is very, very good. Expect lots of 1st page "WTF you can't do that" moments.

I loved Multiversity. I think having read Final Crisis makes it way better though, as it does feel like the sequel I never knew I wanted.

(mild spoilers)
I didn't expect Earth 8 to be a world of Marvel analogues, which is even funnier in light of the latest New Avengers arc.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I haven't read Final Crisis (or any of the crises for that matter) and only have mild knowledge of the DC universe outside of Batman/Superman before New 52. Am I going to be massively lost with Multiversity?

I haven't read Final Crisis (or any of the crises for that matter) and only have mild knowledge of the DC universe outside of Batman/Superman before New 52. Am I going to be massively lost with Multiversity?

I don't believe you'll be lost as everything used seems clearly outlined in the book itself.

My reaction was more that it felt rewarding when you've read Final Crisis but that didn't look like a requisite to me. I think anyone should be able to read this book. Hell, it's probably the DC book that relies the least on established continuity as it takes place on parallel worlds no one is supposed to know about.

So yeah, knock yourself out and if you like what you read, catch up on FC eventually. Not because it's necessary but because it's a damn good book.

ElNarez

Banned
Before we get swamped in Multiversity talk, I'd just like to shout "AWWWWWW SHIT NEW AVENGERS". Because, well.

AWWWWWWWWWW SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Stop it guys stop it. I can't even read it until late as shit tonight. :(

Yeah, I'll be reading tonight too. I usually go all-digital but I think I'll pick these up in floppies, this is a miniseries right? I don't have a lot of storage space for single issues but for something like this I'm happy to find room. Only problem is I have to trek all the way to the Forbidden Planet in central London to get it, as there doesn't seem to be any other comic stores in south London.

Yeah, I'll be reading tonight too. I usually go all-digital but I think I'll pick these up in floppies, this is a miniseries right? I don't have a lot of storage space for single issues but for something like this I'm happy to find room. Only problem is I have to trek all the way to the Forbidden Planet in central London to get it, as there doesn't seem to be any other comic stores in south London.
There's Gosh but they're pretty central too.

Edit: yeah, it's a mini with every issue having a different title.

Zombine

Banned

I read it was 6 issues, someone else said 9. I'm going to agree with 9 because I like that number better.

Edit: so much disrespect in that Miller thread it's disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom