• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it since they stated being confused with infinite crisis which is much more approachable of a read IMO. I just wouldn't recommend final crisis as the best way to introduce people to the DC universe. It's not the most approachable pieces of work. But that's not to say people going in cold couldn't enjoy it, it'd just be less likely.

Infinite Crisis, IMO, depends heavily not only on the four preceding miniseries and Countdown one shot, but also the original Crisis on Infinite Earths plus numerous other DC tie-ins released in the year or two before the event.

Final Crisis, on the other hand, doesn't really depend on any prior work (indeed its more confusing if you read the weekly series that preceded it) though a familiarity with the Fourth World would probably help.

tim1138

Haha. That's amazing. Just the idea of a god waiting in a chair by the door like a perturbed parent who knew that their kid sneaked out of the house and is about to come home late with booze on their breath is so amusing.
I really need to read the Fourth World omnibuses sometime. (That is from the Fourth World omnibuses, right?)

Edit: Well that's kind of annoying. IST only has the hardcover versions of volumes 1 and 3, and only the paperback versions of volumes 3 and 4.
Even more funny is that CheapGraphicNovels has both the HC and TPB of volume 1, but the HC is $27.50 while the TPB is $39.99. I realize this is because the TPB is probably out of print, but it's still pretty funny to see the paperback more expensive than the hardcover.

It is from the omnibi, yeah. All this Final Crisis talk got me in the mood to reread all of the Fourth World.

And sadly as a lot of people have been finding out, they are all out of print and volume 2 seems to be the hardest to find.

I see the first volume of XForce is on sale for half price on Comixology. Gonna give that a try.
So jealous. Remender's X-Force is amazing and one of my favorite Marvel books ever. He writes everyone in the team so well and the first arc alone was incredible. If you do happen to read and enjoy the series, try out Uncanny Avengers since it's basically a sequel series.
Lol. I know you're mostly joking, but real talk, it's super uncomfortable to read an omnibus in a bed. I've tried multiple positions and none of them allow for a pleasurable omnibus reading experience.

I guess I'm just gonna go with my usual trade-reading position. I like to lie on my stomach and have the book opened in front of me.

New Avengers:

224n76X.gif

Messi

So jealous. Remender's X-Force is amazing and one of my favorite Marvel books ever. He writes everyone in the team so well and the first arc alone was incredible. If you do happen to read and enjoy the series, try out Uncanny Avengers since it's basically a sequel series.

I guess I'm just gonna go with my usual trade-reading position. I like to lie on my stomach and have the book opened in front of me.

Like this :

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm gonna imagine this is how all of ComicsGAF reads their books every week.

Has any book ever actually upset you before? Catwoman does it to me monthly. No seriously though the most recent time I can think of was during Batman and Robin after Robin had died Bruces anger actually upset me but what totally killed me was Bruce sitting in the cave cutting up audio clips to make a fake voicemail for Carrie. :(

I'd like a Batman and Robin deluxe edition.

Boogiepop

So, here's a question: are there any particularly good Jubilee stories around? Like, ones with Jubilee on the team? I've read the first volume of the latest plainly titles "X-men" all female team series, and it was... okay. But I feel like I've hear it's pretty bland/bad? It also came with the first appearance of Jubilee, with the awkward Ghostbusters parody or whatever.

It's just something I got to thinking about the other day, since I loved her since I was a child thanks to the X-men tv show (and owning and watching the VHS tape containing the first few episodes way too many times in particular).

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man. I'm certain now, Morrison's Doom Patrol is my favorite run ever. It's just pure joy to read. I can't remember ever so thoroughly and consistently enjoying a run of comics. To me, Doom Patrol represents exactly what comics ought to be.
Also, this is by far the funniest Morrison book I've read. The book definitely isn't a comedy book, but some of the lines of dialogue are just hilarious.
Something I've been most impressed by is the insane amount of ideas Morrison came up with for this run. He builds these pretty deep fictional occult cultures and groups for every arc, and they're always wildly unique and creative and very detailed. And the craziest thing about it to me is that the arcs only tend to last two or three issues. The fact that he builds these detailed mythologies just for a quick story arc is incredible and allows the comic to be continuously fascinating and surprising.

The best part is that I still have 700 pages of it left to read!

It is from the omnibi, yeah. All this Final Crisis talk got me in the mood to reread all of the Fourth World.

And sadly as a lot of people have been finding out, they are all out of print and volume 2 seems to be the hardest to find.

Well, I really hope DC decides to reprint them sometime. I'm really interested in reading them.

Oh, yeah, if that's comfortable for you then that totally works. I find reading like that to be horribly uncomfortable. I'm jealous that you can do that. Haha

Messi

So, here's a question: are there any particularly good Jubilee stories around? Like, ones with Jubilee on the team? I've read the first volume of the latest plainly titles "X-men" all female team series, and it was... okay. But I feel like I've hear it's pretty bland/bad? It also came with the first appearance of Jubilee, with the awkward Ghostbusters parody or whatever.

It's just something I got to thinking about the other day, since I loved her since I was a child thanks to the X-men tv show (and owning and watching the VHS tape containing the first few episodes way too many times in particular).

That X-Men series is so terribly bland and one note. Every character is the same. I would also love to know some good Jubilee stories. I also love to know some good Rogue ones.

phoenixyz

Lol. I know you're mostly joking, but real talk, it's super uncomfortable to read an omnibus in a bed. I've tried multiple positions and none of them allow for a pleasurable omnibus reading experience.
Since you know so much about pleasurable positions you should probably write (or draw?) a Comic-sutra at some point.

Undertow was not good. I am obsessed with Atlantis and the like. Stay away from it.
Undertow is one of my books of the month from July. It's a demanding and incredibly fun Sci-Fi read. Issue #2 is out on Wednesday.
I am getting mixed signals, but isn't Undertow finished?

Hagi

I was on mobile earlier so i didn't realize your avatar was Madman. it's bitchin.

ComicsGAF is on fire with the avatars lately i gotta say

I'm slowly becoming a huge Allred fan and Madman is a big part of that. If by some miracle we get tickets for SDCC next year I'm planning as going as him.

I am getting mixed signals, but isn't Undertow finished?

I think he's getting it mixed up with Low because yeah Undertow finished last month.

Wolverine and jubilee by Kathryn Immonen and Phil Noto

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Undertow is one of my books of the month from July. It's a demanding and incredibly fun Sci-Fi read. Issue #2 is out on Wednesday.

You're thinking of Low, right? Not Undertow.

Edit: aaaaand just beaten.

Looking for solid Captain Marvel (i.e. Carol Danvers) stories on Marvel Unlimited. Is the Ms. Marvel run from the mid 2000s any good or should I just jump into the Kelly Sue DeConnick era?

Hagi

Looking for solid Captain Marvel (i.e. Carol Danvers) stories on Marvel Unlimited. Is the Ms. Marvel run from the mid 2000s any good or should I just jump into the Kelly Sue DeConnick era?

I'd say her Ms Marvel run is better but the Carol Corps of Tumblr might hunt me down and burn me at the stake.

It's better

It was absent from the November solicitations, and Remender did mention he was gonna be working on a new book coming out of Axis, so perhaps that is coming to an end to make way for a new book. The whole point of Uncanny Avengers was the X-men and Avengers coming together to face new threats, and they finally did in "Avenge the Earth" so hey.

If you read the solicits, they kind of announced it: Astonishing Avengers

Zombine

Banned
Who did you buy?

the_walking_dead_comic_set_3_2.jpg

Andrea & Rick first, Dwight and Punk Zombie will be next week.

Punk Zombie, while cool looking, is a waste of fucking space. They have yet to make Tyreese or Abraham, and have already skipped to characters in the current arc.

Messi

the_walking_dead_comic_set_3_2.jpg

Andrea & Rick first, Dwight and Punk Zombie will be next week.

Punk Zombie, while cool looking, is a waste of fucking space. They have yet to make Tyreese or Abraham, and have already skipped to characters in the current arc.

Oh... Comic ones. They look cool.

Wait wtf. Why does Rick have one hand?

hamchan

I said it since they stated being confused with infinite crisis which is much more approachable of a read IMO. I just wouldn't recommend final crisis as the best way to introduce people to the DC universe. It's not the most approachable pieces of work. But that's not to say people going in cold couldn't enjoy it, it'd just be less likely.

I'll just say that I mostly read Marvel but I thought I had a pretty base understanding of DC comics. I read through Infinite Crisis and enjoyed it. Superboy from a sealed away dimension breaks through and messed stuff up? No problem whatsoever.

But when I tried to read Final Crisis it was an incomprehensible mess. I really only followed the Batman comics at that point and I didn't know if some deep knowledge of the DC universe was required or if reading other books were necessary. In the end I had no idea what the heck was going on and as a result ended up despising it. So I agree with you, one can't just go into that event cold, it's one of the least approachable comic events I think I've ever read.

Zombine

Banned
I didn't know. Lol. Unless it happened recently then no. It's my own fault. I've only just finished the 5th trade. Waiting for my next batch to arrive. Don't worry about it :)

I didn't really think about it because of how early on it happens. I'm glad someone else is reading this shit though. I enjoy it for what it is.

Still though, it's like they included a figure they don't want to sell intentionally. It's borderline slab of meat Rocky figure worthy.

I just read the first 10 pages of X Force. Deadpool has only made one pop culture reference and he is on every page. What is going on.

You stopped at the beginning of the story to ask for clarification? Whaaaa...

That's like stopping Star Wars at the beginning of the text crawl and asking, "Ugh, is this movie all reading?"

Hagi

I didn't really think about it because of how early on it happens. I'm glad someone else is reading this shit though. I enjoy it for what it is.

Still though, it's like they included a figure they don't want to sell intentionally. It's borderline slab of meat Rocky figure worthy.

Show related
They never done anything regarding Rick losing his hand did they?
I think i stopped watching the show shortly after Andrea and Michonne landed in Woodbury.

Is anyone following Remenders Cap? I've been reading some harsh criticisms on it and apparently there was a small campaign to get him thrown off the book?

Messi

You stopped at the beginning of the story to ask for clarification? Whaaaa...

That's like stopping Star Wars at the beginning of the text crawl and asking, "Ugh, is this movie all reading?"

I was just checking out the art before going to work. I'll read it later. I read the Deadpool bit because I like him.

Oh me and Star Wars...

Zombine

Banned
Show related
They never done anything regarding Rick losing his hand did they?
I think i stopped watching the show shortly after Andrea and Michonne landed in Woodbury.

No they never did and I doubt it will happen. Kirkman regrets
the Governor cutting it off
to this day.

tim1138

I haven't finished Final Crisis yet. I just hit the chapter called "The Butler Did It". Yay Batman! Can't wait to get home and read it.

The parts that I'm confused by or question what they have todo with the story so far.

The Kalibak stuff.

And these guys.
https://twitter.com/nmairose/status/503236133648875520

The Super Young Team are the Fifth World equivalent of
the Forever People

Kalibak is
Darkseid's other son and him being given a tiger body is a reference to Kamandi and the post Great Disaster world

Among everything else it does, Final Crisis is a love letter to Kirby and his DC work.

the Forever People

Kalibak is
Darkseid's other son and him being given a tiger body is a reference to Kamandi and the post Great Disaster world

Among everything else it does, Final Crisis is a love letter to Kirby and his DC work.

Oh wow never made that connection with the super young team

Hagi

No they never did and I doubt it will happen. Kirkman regrets
the Governor cutting it off
to this day.

Eh I think it adds a lot to him
It's unusual for characters in stories like this to get such lasting damage, having him be disabled in a world where humans are already at a disadvantage is great.

I need to get back into the books and probably the show.

Owzers

New DCBS shipment arrives, another month of going right to Walking Dead and Invincible. Both were great, i'm glad Walking Dead
didn't have the newcomers free Neagan and then blah blah blah Neagan kills someone and rick goes NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. So they rightfully and quickly skipped that nonsense. But then we get other nonsense like being sad that someone else got Carl's apprenticeship? Man, plot times are tough in the Walking Dead, next focus point will be someone vying for the last tomato. I hope Andrea gets it, she's been wanting one for weeks!
Good stuff all around :O

the Forever People

Kalibak is

Where do the 5th world people come from. In regards to the Multiverse map? 4th world is New Genesis and Apokolips right?

Jabraham

So can some of you guys help me out. I want to start getting into comics and have already decided to start reading ultimate spiderman. But I also want to read either Avengers comics or X-men comics but cant decide. If you guys could suggest a jumping on point for either of these would be great.

Messi

So can some of you guys help me out. I want to start getting into comics and have already decided to start reading ultimate spiderman. But I also want to read either Avengers comics or X-men comics but cant decide. If you guys could suggest a jumping on point for either of these would be great.

All-New X-Men vol 1, Uncanny X-Men vol 1. They both the together.

tim1138

Where do the 5th world people come from. In regards to the Multiverse map? 4th world is New Genesis and Apokolips right?

Nowhere, Final Crisis was
Darkseid's attempt to bring about the Fifth World after the destruction of the Fourth World. Prior to Flashpoint and the reboot it was meant to be the last New Gods story for awhile, the characters were going to be temporarily retired.

Yes, the Fourth World is the New Gods from New Genesis and Apokolips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom