• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychBat!

Banned
I'm gonna finish, just so I get the complete picture. I'm hoping for something to redeem me/it. Weird isn't what I'd call it at this point, either. I just... *sigh* I don't wanna say anything bad about it yet. Maybe I won't ever. Maybe DC just isn't for me after all. :(
I wouldn't say that weird is bad, not at all. And this isn't DC in general, this is Grant Morrison: his stuff is abstract and he likes it that way and it's not for everyone. I'm just gonna say that getting to the end won't clear up many of the questions you'll have.

XAL

Oh god. I am dying :(. This is what looking at Quitely comics feels like.

walking-dead-100-cover-c-frank-quitely.jpg

Ya don't say.

tim1138

Shit just feels hopeless in Final Crisis right now.
The Ant-life Equation is broadcasting everywhere. The heros cannot communicate with each other. The big hitters are MIA. Olly just got captured. The only bright spot is Barry and Wally reuniting and working together. I'm not the best with names but are they using the notepad talker as a vessel for Darkseid?
I love this book so far.

To answer your question, yes.

DeathyBoy

Banned
To answer your question, yes.

Final Crisis is really underrated as an event comic. By which I mean the tie-in comics are really good too AND different tonally. Rogues Revenge is friggin' God-tier, Legion Of 3 Worlds is equally great, but the joy is that they genuinely do work as standalone stories.

And, of course, Final Crisis has the best Batman moment in any comic-book, ever.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Can I pick up Final Crisis and enjoy it, even when I dont have the deepesr insight in DC Comics? Just read on Crisis before (the one with Superboy Prime and the old Superman and everything...) and was utterly confused with all the shit what was going on.

My new found appreciation for Grant Morrison and his DC works comes from lots of Wiki reading and looking up old reviews from his previous work. I told Tim on Twitter I was determined to like his stuff and I found out for me at least, I had todo a bunch of homework.

Like it has been said, GM loves the medium and draws from it's past creations. The more you know about where he draws inspiration from, the more appreciative of his work you will be. He may do recreational drugs, who knows, but that excuse for his work being confusing is lazy. He just wants you to love the medium as much as he does.

Messi

I just read the first 10 pages of X Force. Deadpool has only made one pop culture reference and he is on every page. What is going on.

My new found appreciation for Grant Morrison and his DC works comes from lots of Wiki reading and looking up old reviews from his previous work. I told Tim on Twitter I was determined to like his stuff and I found out for me at least, I had todo a bunch of homework.

Like it has been said, GM loves the medium and draws from it's past creations. The more you know about where he draws inspiration from, the more appreciative of his work you will be. He may do recreational drugs, who knows, but that excuse for his work being confusing is lazy. He just wants you to love the medium as much as he does.

I'm pretty sure GM has admitted to doing more than just recreational drugs before. During the Fatman on Batman podcast he talked about having the drug induced version of a spirit vision with beings from outside of our plane of existence or something and doing all sorts of drugs to try and recreate the experience.

You are right though, GM is a fantastic oratist and a delight to listen to and you can feel his love for the medium. But I don't think anyone can fault someone for disliking Morrison's work. He is a very particular taste that doesn't resonate with everyone. Sometimes a certain subset of people can act like a perfect love and understanding of Morrison's work is a requirement for comic credibility which I personally find misguided and elitist.

I will always love Morrison on his grounded work. But far too often I feel like I am reading half of a story and he just forgot to put the other half onto paper, forcing us to go inside his mind for the rest of it.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Can I pick up Final Crisis and enjoy it, even when I dont have the deepesr insight in DC Comics? Just read on Crisis before (the one with Superboy Prime and the old Superman and everything...) and was utterly confused with all the shit what was going on.
no..i doubt it.

I would disagree with gketter. I read Final Crisis the first time after only reading some Batman stuff from DC and I enjoyed it. Sure, it was a whole lot to take in and I was pretty confused, but I picked up on what was going on and who people were enough to really enjoy the story.

You ought to watch the Grant Morrison documentary, Talking With Gods. It's so great.

Kipp I don't have a recliner would you be able to draw me a diagram of the proper reading position in a bed?

Lol. I know you're mostly joking, but real talk, it's super uncomfortable to read an omnibus in a bed. I've tried multiple positions and none of them allow for a pleasurable omnibus reading experience.

I'm gonna finish, just so I get the complete picture. I'm hoping for something to redeem me/it. Weird isn't what I'd call it at this point, either. I just... *sigh* I don't wanna say anything bad about it yet. Maybe I won't ever. Maybe DC just isn't for me after all. :(

Don't feel bad. There are plenty of people who don't like Final Crisis. I can definitely see it as an "it's not for everyone" sort of book. And like PsychBat said, that isn't DC in general, that's just Morrison (and not even all Morrison stuff is like that).
But feel free to post the reasons why you dislike it!

Hagi

I just read the first 10 pages of X Force. Deadpool has only made one pop culture reference and he is on every page. What is going on.

Deadpool is fantastic in X-Force as are most of the characters in it. Remender wrote the shit out of that book.

tim1138

I would disagree with gketter. I read Final Crisis the first time after only reading some Batman stuff from DC and I enjoyed it. Sure, it was a whole lot to take in and I was pretty confused, but I picked up on what was going on and who people were enough to really enjoy the story.

You ought to watch the Grant Morrison documentary, Talking With Gods. It's so great.

Lol. I know you're mostly joking, but real talk, it's super uncomfortable to read an omnibus in a bed. I've tried multiple positions and none of them allow for a pleasurable omnibus reading experience.

Don't feel bad. There are plenty of people who don't like Final Crisis. I can definitely see it as an "it's not for everyone" sort of book. And like PsychBat said, that isn't DC in general, that's just Morrison (and not even all Morrison stuff is like that).
But feel free to post the reasons why you dislike it!

And after you watch Talking with Gods, read his book Supergods.

I said it since they stated being confused with infinite crisis which is much more approachable of a read IMO. I just wouldn't recommend final crisis as the best way to introduce people to the DC universe. It's not the most approachable pieces of work. But that's not to say people going in cold couldn't enjoy it, it'd just be less likely.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Oh no I've read like 1/3rd of the run, I'm just saying I didn't really like those characters before UXF but Remender wrote them so well it made me like them

Ah, I understand^^

He definitly sold me on Deadpool. I said it multiple times before, but I dont like when Chrachters just joking all the time, but I loved Remenders Deadpool. And his Archangel and Psylock are amazing, tool.

Ah, I understand^^

He definitly sold me on Deadpool. I said it multiple times before, but I dont like when Chrachters just joking all the time, but I loved Remenders Deadpool. And his Archangel and Psylock are amazing, tool.

You should check out the joe Kelly deadpool run. It was a more balanced version of the character and overall my favorite use of the character (until UXF)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You should check out the joe Kelly deadpool run. It was a more balanced version of the character and overall my favorite use of the character (until UXF)

I own Joey Kellys Deadpool in a book in the Marvel Graphic Novel Collection by Hachette and didnt liked it at all and considered kind of boring. But it was published in german and I noticed that it seemed to be a very loose translation, so maybe I will give it another try in english again.

Kipp

Ooh. I keep forgetting about that. I still really need to read that.

I said it since they stated being confused with infinite crisis which is much more approachable of a read IMO. I just wouldn't recommend final crisis as the best way to introduce people to the DC universe. It's not the most approachable pieces of work. But that's not to say people going in cold couldn't enjoy it, it'd just be less likely.

Ah, okay. Fair enough.

If you really want to appreciate Morrison books, definitely read Supergods. I haven't watched Talking with Gods yet, but I would guess it treads a lot of the same concepts. Morrison's loves the medium and generally alot of his book's weirdness comes from taking a standard comic book concept to a new level.

I'm not a huge Morrison fan, but I reading Supergods gave me an appreciation for him. It also pointed me to a lot of trades that were worth reading.

I'm pretty sure GM has admitted to doing more than just recreational drugs before. During the Fatman on Batman podcast he talked about having the drug induced version of a spirit vision with beings from outside of our plane of existence or something and doing all sorts of drugs to try and recreate the experience.

You are right though, GM is a fantastic oratist and a delight to listen to and you can feel his love for the medium. But I don't think anyone can fault someone for disliking Morrison's work. He is a very particular taste that doesn't resonate with everyone. Sometimes a certain subset of people can act like a perfect love and understanding of Morrison's work is a requirement for comic credibility which I personally find misguided and elitist.

I will always love Morrison on his grounded work. But far too often I feel like I am reading half of a story and he just forgot to put the other half onto paper, forcing us to go inside his mind for the rest of it.

Oh, I agree. I appreciate some parts of his Batman run but I don't think I'll ever like it as a whole. That's not how I envision my Batman. However, as a Super Hero universe, or the Multiverse, I think he is the right man for the job.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Seems like Marvel is going to announce a Uncanny Avengers Omnibus soon... So the series is coming to an end? Are any idications to this?

Seems like Marvel is going to announce a Uncanny Avengers Omnibus soon... So the series is coming to an end? Are any idications to this?

It was absent from the November solicitations, and Remender did mention he was gonna be working on a new book coming out of Axis, so perhaps that is coming to an end to make way for a new book. The whole point of Uncanny Avengers was the X-men and Avengers coming together to face new threats, and they finally did in "Avenge the Earth" so hey.

"oh you thought I was doing my own version of Wonder Woman? Gotcha nigga this is actually a gorgeous essay about my view on life, magic, and religion!"

"There's light at the bottom" was pretty sublime, I will admit

It was absent from the November solicitations, and Remender did mention he was gonna be working on a new book coming out of Axis, so perhaps that is coming to an end to make way for a new book. The whole point of Uncanny Avengers was the X-men and Avengers coming together to face new threats, and they finally did in "Avenge the Earth" so hey.
Avenging Avengers. Seriosuly though, ot's Amazing Avengers.

kmfdmpig

I'm reading through Supergods now, his book about his life and comics, and he goes into his drug use as well as his experience with different beings in much more detail in that.

I loved his Fatman on Batman episodes, and parts of Supergods have been great, but overall I am not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

Kipp

The first of many times Darkseid is hanging out in someone's apartment waiting for them to get home (from New Gods #2):

Haha. That's amazing. Just the idea of a god waiting in a chair by the door like a perturbed parent who knew that their kid sneaked out of the house and is about to come home late with booze on their breath is so amusing.
I really need to read the Fourth World omnibuses sometime. (That is from the Fourth World omnibuses, right?)

Edit: Well that's kind of annoying. IST only has the hardcover versions of volumes 1 and 3, and only the paperback versions of volumes 3 and 4.
Even more funny is that CheapGraphicNovels has both the HC and TPB of volume 1, but the HC is $27.50 while the TPB is $39.99. I realize this is because the TPB is probably out of print, but it's still pretty funny to see the paperback more expensive than the hardcover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom