• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2014. Infinite universes, or just fifty-two? Thanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They had a great Final Crisis review video!

Honestly, go on Youtube Thursday mornings and search for reviews of the comics you are interested in and watch a few. Hopefully you can find a reviewer you like.

I liked to watch those guys 'cause they introduced me to a bunch of new stuff I didn't know about. Seems like no one is doing videos like them on Youtube. :(

On another subject.

Maybe I'm being super impatient but it's been 3 days and instocktrades.com still hasn't processed my stuff yet. I heard they're moving locations so their shipping might be slower right now, I assume. I dunno.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I can't handle this. Doom Patrol is just relentlessly incredible.
Just read the issue that introduces Danny the Street and the Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E.
Such an amazing issue.
Firstly, Danny the Street is the best thing ever.
Secondly, that whole
sitcom/laugh-track thing was brilliant and creepy and amazing. While I was reading those scenes in the house with the Men from NOWHERE guy and his wife who he decides to stab in the eyes, I was getting mad Eraserhead vibes. And then sure enough, later in the issue, the random guy on the street says "Have you BEEN on the subway recently? It's like 'Eraserhead.'" Love it. (Also pretty pleased with myself that I got that allusion. :p)
And then the fact that the Men from NOWHERE's weapons are
made from the shadows cast by their hats
is so creative and cool.
Also, special shout out to this line of dialogue for being a perfect summary of the fantastic weirdness of this Doom Patrol run: "
Gentlemen, this street is a shameless TRANSVESTITE.
"

I knew I'd enjoy this, but I never imagined I'd be enjoying it this much. And it's just been getting better and better.

Basically, you can't lose buying ANY version of Morrison and Case's Doom Patrol.

True story.

Maybe I'm being super impatient but it's been 3 days and instocktrades.com still hasn't processed my stuff yet. I heard they're moving locations so their shipping might be slower right now, I assume. I dunno.

Yeah, that's not too uncommon for IST even in the best of times. Since they're moving locations, I'd imagine it could be even a little longer. When I put my order in today, I just assumed it would be a while before it ships out.

Lombaszko

I liked to watch those guys 'cause they introduced me to a bunch of new stuff I didn't know about. Seems like no one is doing videos like them on Youtube. :(
Tony from Comic Vine was doing video features for a while but I haven't been to that site since Whiskey Media broke up.

ReAxion

okay I bought them all. What's the reading order? I just tried some light googling and theyre listing all kinds of other stuff.

Mumei

Yeah, that's not too uncommon for IST even in the best of times. Since they're moving locations, I'd imagine it could be even a little longer. When I put my order in today, I just assumed it would be a while before it ships out.

I once had to wait two weeks for my items to ship, because one of them was on back order. They eventually sent one of the items, and then sent the backordered item a few days after that.

If you're ordering from IST, it's for the shipping quality and the low prices. It's surely not for the speed.

If you're ordering from IST, it's for the shipping quality and the low prices. It's surely not for the speed.

Most of us are patient enough to see the virtues of those amazing prices. If I order Tuesday when the new books go up, I usually get my order on Saturday or Monday.

Zombine

Banned
thank you! I'd been ignoring the Multiversity talk cuz I didn't plan on buying it, but I did. That plus Comixology sale... I'm so weak.

Comixology makes it so damn hard for me to save money. I had no plans to read Hack/Slash but I got it because it was dirt cheap.

Comixology makes it so damn hard for me to save money. I had no plans to read Hack/Slash but I got it because it was dirt cheap.
Hah. You and me both!

And Tim I want to read the fourth world omnibuses but the 2nd trade is ridiculously priced and there's no digital option. Why???? Are there any options out there?

I can't handle this. Doom Patrol is just relentlessly incredible.
Just read the issue that introduces Danny the Street and the Men from N.O.W.H.E.R.E.
Such an amazing issue.

"I'm as tolerant as the next guy, but hey!" *sitcom laughter*

Milligan/Bachalo did a similarly antagonist in their Shade the Changing Man run, the conservative "normal" vs the strange and different protagonist(s). I do love how Morrison kept finding new exclamations starting with the letters N-O-W-H-E-R-E and he keeps it up in the concluding chapter coming up next

Kelley Jones draws the next one as a fill-in, he's a good fit.

Zombine

Banned
Hah. You and me both!

And Tim I want to read the fourth world omnibuses but the 2nd trade is ridiculously priced and there's no digital option. Why???? Are there any options out there?

Last I checked it was being reprinted? I swear someone here mentioned it.

tim1138

Hah. You and me both!

Sadly the omnibi are out of print, Dan DiDio assured me on Twitter that they were working on digital releases but that was some time ago. Check your LCS or your local library to see if they can get it for you via interlibrary loan.

Believe or not, but Final Crisis is even better if you've read the whole Fourth World saga.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Milligan/Bachalo did a similarly antagonist in their Shade the Changing Man run, the conservative "normal" vs the strange and different protagonist(s). I do love how Morrison kept finding new exclamations starting with the letters N-O-W-H-E-R-E and he keeps it up in the concluding chapter coming up next

Don't read this Kipp.
I love how absurdly different Flex looks from when he's legit introduced to when Case comes back. Also, Flex finally making the Pentagon round was so fucking awesome and triumphant.

Last I checked it was being reprinted? I swear someone here mentioned it.
I know they're release on Orion omnibus. I haven't heard of a reprint. It's a shame since 1,3-4 are regular price. What is it with #2 that makes it an outlier?

I might try the library route. This is probably a dumb question but could I go from vol 1 to 3 and have a chance of following it?

Kipp

Filthy Slug, I was so close to impulsively clicking that spoilered text. I had to catch myself. Haha.

Since you mentioned it, would you recommend me picking up those three Shade the Changing Man TPBs? I've been really interested in that. It's a shame that only part of the run is collected though. Are the arcs standalone enough for it to still be enjoyable just as the three trades though?

And yeah, I thought that was great, too. Pretty impressive that he did the N-O-W-H-E-R-E thing while keeping the dialogue coherent. Haha

And awesome! I'm really looking forward to that. I really enjoy Kelley Jones' art.

tim1138

I know they're release on Orion omnibus. I haven't heard of a reprint. It's a shame since 1,3-4 are regular price. What is it with #2 that makes it an outlier?

I might try the library route. This is probably a dumb question but could I go from vol 1 to 3 and have a chance of following it?

The Orion omnibus isn't Kirby, it's Walt Simonson's later Orion solo book.

Yeah, you really can't skip any of the volumes. The story runs through for different comics, so there's quite a bit going on.

MG310

Got my copy of The Fade Out. Just fantastic...really enjoy the magazine format for it too.

I have off from work tomorrow so maybe I'll catch up on the last 3 or so Midtown shipments that I have yet to read.

Boogiepop

I'm figuring IST got hit pretty hard for the Hellboy Library Editions at least during their sale, I guess since those were an obvious choice from what was discounted. I actually placed a first order with a big chunk of Dark Horse manga (and the Utrom Empire trade for TMNT) along with the first Hellboy Library Edition (and then later decided to say screw it and placed a second order with the rest of them plus the first BPRD Omnibus), and then when I saw it shipped I didn't realize that the Hellboy was backordered till I opened the box and saw it wasn't there. Super disappointing, but oh well.

Honestly though, stuff being out of stock is what it is. I think on rightstuf I've had to wait for manga to restock for at least a month at times in the past, so as long as this doesn't surpass that I'll be fine. And IST honestly seems pretty good about getting stuff out the door pretty fast once they have it in at least.

Got some goods today
CBzIw3g.jpg

fauxtrot

Banned
After seeing that Gwen Stacy "Edge of Spider-verse" preview, I can't help but want to write an angry letter to Marvel about why they used all the cool ideas on her design/etc and not Silk. I mean, seriously, what the fuck?

Kipp

Just read that Kelley Jones issue of Doom Patrol. Jones' art worked really well for Doom Patrol. Great stuff.
I officially hit my comics reading limit for the day reading that issue though. I'm not sure how many Doom Patrol issues I read today (on top of re-reading the 6 issues of Punisher MAX as well), but that last issue I just couldn't enjoy as much as all the other ones because my brain had reached its comic capacity for the day. Haha. I feel pretty bad, since I "wasted" what I'm pretty sure was another fantastic issue on an uncooperative brain, but it is what it is. I mean, it still entertained me, but I wasn't blown away like I was all the other issues I read today. I'm actually pretty pleased I was able to read and thoroughly enjoy as many issues as I did today. Because of that, today was a very good day.
Luckily tomorrow is a new day and my brain gets to start fresh and be blown away by Doom Patrol some more.

After seeing that Gwen Stacy "Edge of Spider-verse" preview, I can't help but want to write an angry letter to Marvel about why they used all the cool ideas on her design/etc and not Silk. I mean, seriously, what the fuck?

That preview looks so freaking good, it's a shame nothing long term will probably come from it.

Got some goods today

I've been reading that Final Crisis. I'm 3/4 done. I've been taking my time, looking up stuff when need be. Been referencing earlier in the book and I have been having fun with it. I find after you finish an issue, to go back and reflect. Look at the art and try to tell yourself the story without reading the words. Remember, Morrison always has the same goal, the good guys trying to figure out how to beat the bad guys.

I asked my wife to try and read Multiversity and she got halfway through and didn't want to continue. She said the premise was cool from what I explained to her but as only a reader of only a few Bat-centric characters, this was over her head.

Since you mentioned it, would you recommend me picking up those three Shade the Changing Man TPBs? I've been really interested in that. It's a shame that only part of the run is collected though. Are the arcs standalone enough for it to still be enjoyable just as the three trades though?

Yeah, they are. I got the issues off comixology myself.

Favorite part of the next DP issue is the Tearoom of Despair

Cheska

I love how Multiversity is causing everyone to have a massive Morrison re-read :D Take this opportunity to read We3 if you haven't already!!

And stop talking about Doom Patrol, I don't want to throw down $87 on another book ;_;

EDIT: I admit, I'm always impressed that ViewtifulJC can recall so much from over a decade ago. Also, is that you in your avatar? I didn't realize so many Gaffers were good looking fellas ;)

Kipp

Edit: Oh, also, I know that B.P.R.D: 1946-1948 hardcover was already kind of announced (the cover of it showing up on that Mignola interview) without being officially solicited, but it has been officially solicited now. It comes out June 16, 2015.

Yeah, they are. I got the issues off comixology myself.

Favorite part of the next DP issue is the Tearoom of Despair

Cool. Unfortunately I just can't really enjoy reading digitally even though I've got a Nook HD+ tablet. I don't understand why that is, but that's how it is. Haha. I'll definitely pick up those three TPBs sometime though and just hope they get around to releasing the rest of the TPBs one day.

And yeah, that part was great.
Also, question regarding that issue:
Was that the first appearance of Flex Mentallo?

And stop talking about Doom Patrol, I don't want to throw down $87 on another book ;_;

EDIT: I admit, I'm always impressed that ViewtifulJC can recall so much from over a decade ago. Also, is that you in your avatar? I didn't realize so many Gaffers were good looking fellas ;)

Well maybe if you had ordered it during release week you would've only had to throw down $75! Even with that $12 difference though, it's so worth it.
And yeah, I'm always really impressed by Viewtiful's memory too. Haha. I've got a horrible memory, so I'm pretty jealous. On the other hand, a year from now I'll be able to re-read Doom Patrol and it'll be like reading it for the first time again since I will barely remember any of it.

Speaking of tumblr, are they're any good comic themed ones? Any kind, Art, Movies, News, etc.

A lot of creators, like Gail Simone, Skottie Young, Kevin Wada, etc. all have tumblrs. Definitely check and see if any artists or writers have tumblrs and follow them.

Some good general comic blogs I follow:
thecomicsvault
why-i-love-comics
comicbooksawesome

And if you're willing to put up with my shitposting, I post reblog a decent amount of comics
some days.
My url is ghettowarmachine. Always looking to follow more gaffers!

My Doom Patrol omnibus is here \o/ My cat's taken a liking to it already.

I've been reading that Final Crisis. I'm 3/4 done. I've been taking my time, looking up stuff when need be. Been referencing earlier in the book and I have been having fun with it. I find after you finish an issue, to go back and reflect. Look at the art and try to tell yourself the story without reading the words. Remember, Morrison always has the same goal, the good guys trying to figure out how to beat the bad guys.

I asked my wife to try and read Multiversity and she got halfway through and didn't want to continue. She said the premise was cool from what I explained to her but as only a reader of only a few Bat-centric characters, this was over her head.

Haha I don't blame her

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Just finished the first issue I will skim back through it.

Shit just feels hopeless in Final Crisis right now.
The Ant-life Equation is broadcasting everywhere. The heros cannot communicate with each other. The big hitters are MIA. Olly just got captured. The only bright spot is Barry and Wally reuniting and working together. I'm not the best with names but are they using the notepad talker as a vessel for Darkseid?
I love this book so far.

LosDaddie

Banned
Current lunch (at the office) reading; X-Men vs Apocalypse volumes 1 & 2. I was real happy to score these for half off at at local comic con. This is the story arc where Wolvie get his adamantium back.

I only collected comic for ~3yrs when I was younger. I stopped a little after Magneto ripped out Wolverine's adamantium / right when Onslaught was starting. So it's been a joy to read this series, plus it's fun to see the seeds of Secret Invasion being planted.

I'm on vol 2 already, and it's been pretty entertaining so far.

I love how Multiversity is causing everyone to have a massive Morrison re-read :D Take this opportunity to read We3 if you haven't already!!

Came here to post this so thank you for saving me time.

Also Doom Patrol is aces!

Multiversity is beyond pretty much everything this week. Please don't hurt em, Morrison!

EDIT: Mumei, go answer me in the Vocal thread? You're needed!

Cheska

Came here to post this so thank you for saving me time.

Also Doom Patrol is aces!

Multiversity is beyond pretty much everything this week. Please don't hurt em, Morrison!

krypt0nian!! I've missed you in here! Not enough of the original people post in here anymore :(

Don't you spend like, $100+ every week at IST? What's another $87 to Ms. Moneybags. ;)

This week I spent $200 :O

$87 for one book seems like a lot to me.

Mumei

I need to get Doom Patrol Omnibus, myself, but I'm currently on my manga phase and spending too much on out of print volumes. I did recently pick up The Nao of Brown, though. Love the watercolors.

EDIT: Mumei, go answer me in the Vocal thread? You're needed!

I saw! I meant to respond, but shit's happened and I haven't felt like making a long post. :(

I'll do it sometime this weekend, though.

ReAxion

Shit just feels hopeless in Final Crisis right now.
The Ant-life Equation is broadcasting everywhere. The heros cannot communicate with each other. The big hitters are MIA. Olly just got captured. The only bright spot is Barry and Wally reuniting and working together. I'm not the best with names but are they using the notepad talker as a vessel for Darkseid?
I love this book so far.

I'm at this same point right now. I... do not feel the same.

ReAxion

It's definitely a weird kind of story. My friend explained to me that it gets meta with Superman's side of the story.

I'm gonna finish, just so I get the complete picture. I'm hoping for something to redeem me/it. Weird isn't what I'd call it at this point, either. I just... *sigh* I don't wanna say anything bad about it yet. Maybe I won't ever. Maybe DC just isn't for me after all. :(

Vyer

Doom Patrol had a .99 sale a while back so I picked up a good chunk of it then. Wouldn't mind having an Omnibus for the collection though.

Speaking of Morrison, the only thing I think I've never read is Flex Mentallo. I really should look into that.

Doom Patrol had a .99 sale a while back so I picked up a good chunk of it then. Wouldn't mind having an Omnibus for the collection though.

Speaking of Morrison, the only thing I think I've never read is Flex Mentallo. I really should look into that.

Flex Mentallo is a love letter to comic books. Still my favorite Morrison piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom