• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Trickster

Hey guys. Wondering if you could possibly help me. As I'm sure most of you know, it can be kinda hard for the uninitiated to jump into the world of comics. And this definitely applies to me. I don't really read comics at all, in large part because all the multiverses and altenate storylines etc make it seem very overwhelming (DC's reboot makes it pretty straight forward I guess, but Marvel seems like it's still a cosmic maze of story threads).

But I've been getting somewhat of a superhero craving over these last days. And one of the heroes I think seem really cool is Captain Marvel. So to cut to the chase, I'm wondering if anyone knows where I should start, if I'd want to try and read some Captain Marvel and have it be coherent for a comic newbie?

Cheers.

Hagi

Hey guys. Wondering if you could possibly help me. As I'm sure most of you know, it can be kinda hard for the uninitiated to jump into the world of comics. And this definitely applies to me. I don't really read comics at all, in large part because all the multiverses and altenate storylines etc make it seem very overwhelming.

But I've been getting somewhat of a superhero craving over these last days. And one of the heroes I think seem really cool is Captain Marvel. So to cut to the chase, I'm wondering if anyone knows where I should start, if I'd want to try and read some Captain Marvel and have it be coherent for a comic newbie?

Cheers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0785165495/

start here :)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Hey guys. Wondering if you could possibly help me. As I'm sure most of you know, it can be kinda hard for the uninitiated to jump into the world of comics. And this definitely applies to me. I don't really read comics at all, in large part because all the multiverses and altenate storylines etc make it seem very overwhelming (DC's reboot makes it pretty straight forward I guess, but Marvel seems like it's still a cosmic maze of story threads).

Cheers.

Sadly Captain Marvel doesn't really have any super compelling stories.... BUT

a new young hero is heavily inspired by her, and takes on her old moniker of Ms Marvel. The book is a critical darling, and is (rightfully) touted as the new Peter Parker for the modern age. It's perfect for new readers.

I can't recommend it enough!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/078519021X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Same could be said for Gwen. She is female Spider-Man but less interesting than Silk with a better costume.
I find Gwen just as interesting, and even if she is less so to some, her book is building an entire world around her.

Again, I'm not saying Silk is a bad character. I don't know how many times I actually need to say that I genuinely like her, but she has nothing to her own and nothing to really make her mark. Character-driven books in a larger universe will always work, but to really last they need something of their own. She doesn't have that.
Okay, so on the Inhumans wiki page, it lists Quake as a "post-Infinity" Inhuman alongside Kamala and others.

Is this true? Did 616 Quake get retconned into an Inhuman instead of a mutant? I know MCU Quake is an Inhuman, but when did this happen in the comics? And how do they explain her having powers prior to the T-Bomb?

Issue 007 of S.H.I.E.L.D. makes her powers originate from her Inhuman mother and Mr. Hyde. Originally her powers were strictly a result of Mr. Hyde, as far as I recall. She was never a mutant. And yes, they are making her as close to her MCU version as possible. It has been poorly done.

Trickster

Thx I'll check it out! :)

a new young hero is heavily inspired by her, and takes on her old moniker of Ms Marvel. The book is a critical darling, and is (rightfully) touted as the new Peter Parker for the modern age. It's perfect for new readers.

Oh, that's kind of a bummer, I figured it would be one of the cooler heroes given how happy people were when the movie got announced.

this new ms marvel, might try it out, just wondering, given her age, is there a lot of teen type problems? Cause if so, I'm out, that is not what I want out of superhero stuff.

Sandfox

The new Nova interview has me hyped for the new run.

This just shows how horrible of a story history Captain Marvel has lol. If you want to read her you might as well just start the the runs since she took up the new mantle because I don't think the writers don't care about her past.

Messi

Thx I'll check it out! :)

Oh, that's kind of a bummer, I figured it would be one of the cooler heroes given how happy people were when the movie got announced.

this new ms marvel, might try it out, just wondering, given her age, is there a lot of teen type problems? Cause if so, I'm out, that is not what I want out of superhero stuff.

Yep it's a teen book. She does superhero stuff. She just got powers so she is learning how to use them. Read kelly sues Captain Marvel you were linked to.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

i guess you can check out DeConnick's Captain Marvel - not everyone is down on it like me.

Messi

I've only read the first two volumes so that's good to know.

Here is a page from the current (great) Carol corps secret wars book.

Captain_Marvel_and_the_Carol_Corps_1_Preview_3.jpg

And one from the regular series:

I am fairly sure Lopez is on all the second two volumes. Lovely art.

Hagi

Yeah that's nice especially the second page. I'll get round to reading it eventually probably when I get to the point she joins the Guardians.

Messi

Yeah that's nice especially the second page. I'll get round to reading it eventually probably when I get to the point she joins the Guardians.

That issue made me cry :( it is such a beautiful issue.

It's hard to show Carol corps without spoilers but that isn't the best representation of his art in it. I really love the style that book has.

gabbo

Ever wondered what would happen if Ellis tried to write like Morrison?

Wonder no more.

Also features the worst haircut to ever grace comix, courtesy of Prof. Night:

Other than that, Blue Rose is pretty decent so far.

If you figure out what's going on before the end (hell, even at the end), I'd love to hear your take on it

She is a teenage girl who is trying to find her identity culturally and as a superhero.

If you like Buffy the Vampire Slayer or similar material, then you'll love Ms. Marvel.

If you're curious as to if it has a lot of teen angst, then I'll assuage your fears by saying that no there is not. Also no brooding of any kind

Messi

I don't hate Gwen. I just hope it doesn't end up being one or the other for marvel between Gwen or Silk. Because the book I like will lose that fight. :( I want all these books to survive (Gwen,Silk,Spider Woman ect)

I don't hate Gwen. I just hope it doesn't end up being one or the other for marvel between Gwen or Silk. Because the book I like will lose that fight. :( I want all these books to survive (Gwen,Silk,Spider Woman ect)

Solution:

1) Read Valiant
2) Never be disappointed in anything ever again

It's foolproof.

But they ended Archer & Armstrong and Harbinger

They're coming back next year! And Ivar Timewalker is at least as good as A&A was.

But then my entire life would be a disappointment

I am very sorry that was mean. I am buying the quantum and woody hardcover

D:

I'm also only kidding, but 100% of my disappointment in comics comes from DC/Mahvel; pls understand

Wait, which Q&W? Asmus?

astroturfing is a bannable offense on gaf

Good thing no one around here is doing that, hehe.

Oh my lord.... Valiant's parent company is Acclaim?!?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I feel like Freeza is getting her news from 1999...

It's been on hold since Secret Wars started. It'll continue when it's over.

Wait...

You dig Buffy? Cus that just bolsters our friendship even higher.
BtVS and Angel are my two favorite shows of all time

I love Silk and Gwen both. I genuinely do. My thing is just that Silk doesn't have much by way of a solo book. All I'm saying is that she needs something, and she doesn't have that yet.

MG310

Damn, didn't make it onto Wada's list for NYCC...definiitely getting something at the show though.

The list I narrowed it down to was The Boss from MGS3, classic outfit Zatanna and fashionized Madame Hydra or Echo.

Messi

Damn, didn't make it onto Wada's list for NYCC...definiitely getting something at the show though.

The list I narrowed it down to was The Boss from MGS3, classic outfit Zatanna and fashionized Madame Hydra or Echo.

Classic Zatanna would be dope

They're coming back next year! And Ivar Timewalker is at least as good as A&A was.

D:

I'm also only kidding, but 100% of my disappointment in comics comes from DC/Mahvel; pls understand

Wait, which Q&W? Asmus?

Good thing no one around here is doing that, hehe.

I feel like Freeza is getting her news from 1999...

The X-O Manowar, Harbinger, and Bloodshot deluxe hardcovers will be mine after I finish reading some of my current books. I read the first issue of Ninjak on Scribd this past weekend and thought it was awesome.

Owzers

I'm half an hour into Fear the Walking Dead episode 1 and it feels like one of those web-exclusive deals to get people interested in the real show, the pacing is even worse than Walking Dead, though that's because it's been awhile since I've seen an episode of that.

Top Bottom