• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

IST!!!!!
4G4ZNBpl.jpg

100%. Along with S2 and then BtVS S3 and S5

If I knew you in person, we'd have a secret handshake. You're too awesome.

The X-O Manowar, Harbinger, and Bloodshot deluxe hardcovers will be mine after I finish reading some of my current books. I read the first issue of Ninjak on Scribd this past weekend and thought it was awesome.

Fair warning about Ninjak, Kindt is way better at writing at the character than he has been at the story [so far]. I think the first arc was pretty good, but I just love the way Kindt writes him and Roku; it even shines through in the back-up story, which has been one of my favorite bits of the series.

If you enjoy Ninjak and X-O, take a look at Unity (well, you'll have to if you read X-O, there's an arc where they crossover). Kindt's character and story potential really shines on that series. It's my favorite ongoing team book.

IST!!!!!
[ig]http://i.imgur.com/4G4ZNBpl.jpg[/img]

That Wonder Woman dust-jacket looks so good. I saw some pictures online of the cover under that, and that looks great too.

My order is still sitting in some usps facility somewhere in Tennessee. :(

Edit: Isn't the Ms. Marvel book oversized? Maybe just some parallax error but it looks smaller than the omni.

Messi

Low #9 is this week. Super hyped. LETS GO FREEZA! I just re read the last two and the final few pages of #7
are heartbreakingly rough.

Ms Marvel is definitely oversized.

That Wonder Woman dust-jacket looks so good. I saw some pictures online of the cover under that, and that looks great too.

My order is still sitting in some usps facility somewhere in Tennessee. :(

Edit: Isn't the Ms. Marvel book oversized? Maybe just some parallax error but it looks smaller than the omni.
It the same size, the pic just makes it look smaller
Blast Furnace funded in under 24 hours, we did it fam!

R Y A N B R O W N E B O Y Z

Dang, checking out that kickstarter hoping he was offering the GHA hardcover again and there it is,
$250

:\

Marvel high intellects being grotesquely flawed is kind of a rule of thumb. Pym is bipolar, Vic is a narcisist, Stark is completely mental. Only sane ones are Banner and Cho, really.

All true, but I just gotta laugh at how brazen it is. "hey yeah, Mr Fantastic probably has a form of autism". Oh yeah, and his own wife said it. lol

That was big American cheeseburger time right? If so, I agree. Gwen is certainly becoming more interesting. Not sure if I'll follow it post SW or not yet however.

Yes, big American cheeseburger time. And all that heavy stuff that came before it.

Veelk

Banned
I have a comic books question on sidekicks. I was going to post a new thread on the OT, but honestly, I'd prefer to have actual comic readers respond since you guys might atleast back up your answers with actual reading experiences. Every time a comics thread is posted in the OT, I feel half the participants are only considering the question as a theoretical abstract, rather from drawing on actual stories.

Right, so the question is how are sidekicks regarded in this day and age of comics. I know only the general history of them. I know marvel didn't really like them for some reason, and most of their heroes don't have them. And I know they've sort of become a lost art in DC. At the very least, I can't really think of too many sidekicks that appeared since the new 52.

I don't object to the idea of a hero getting an understudy to mentor. However, basically drafting (which is the only thing it can be considered, as there's no way children can make informed consent to this) children into vigilantism is kind of....well... Probably why they had Dick, Jason and Tim all join in their late teens in the new 52 continuity.

I guess the dividing line here is how you view comics. If the new age of comics means you give the stories a certain degree of authenticity, the concept of sidekicks, especially kid sidekicks, is criminally irresponsible. I like the idea of it and the good characters that came out of it, but it has an irreversible effect on how Batman is viewed as a guardian, depending on the danger that criminals and supervillains actually pose. If the supervillains are literally cartoonish and ineffective, then letting kids join is no big deal. If they are...

Well, I'm having trouble reconciling my idea of a criminal world that poses a measure authentic danger in comics vs the inclusion of child sidekicks. One has to exclude one or the other, or else you seriously have to put in question Batman's morality. Which is also fine if thats what you want to do, but most stories want to have Batman's decision to include Dick, Jason and Tim into his crimefighting as good, or atleast not evil.

What do you guys think?

Edit: to be clear, I kind of just got stuck on Batman as I was writing it, as he's the hero with sidekicks who I understand most/best, but I meant it to apply to superheroes in general.

tim1138

It the same size, the pic just makes it look smaller

Dang, checking out that kickstarter hoping he was offering the GHA hardcover again and there it is,
$250

:

You can buy the GHA hardcover from his store for $100, there's only a couple left. I think that $250 option also gives you signed copies of every issue and variant of GHA.

That was big American cheeseburger time right? If so, I agree. Gwen is certainly becoming more interesting. Not sure if I'll follow it post SW or not yet however.

I'll have to look at the KS for this soon.

Honestly, Blast Furnace is probably better than God Hates Astronauts was. It's looser and super funny. If you dunno the story behind it, Browne would give himself an hour a day to write and draw a page with no pre-planning. It often goes on funny tangents, but it works really well.

Browne should probably give up on the single issue thing and just KS his books as graphic novels. BF was fully funded in 7.5 hours, so there's clearly an audience from his brand of madness.

Owzers

Secret Wars #5 was okay but that Lost-pacing still bugs me where what you want to see in the next issue doesn't happen until the end of that issue and you have to wait another month.

Zombine

Banned
I have a comic books question on sidekicks. I was going to post a new thread on the OT, but honestly, I'd prefer to have actual comic readers respond since you guys might atleast back up your answers with actual reading experiences. Every time a comics thread is posted in the OT, I feel half the participants are only considering the question as a theoretical abstract, rather from drawing on actual stories.

Right, so the question is how are sidekicks regarded in this day and age of comics. I know only the general history of them. I know marvel didn't really like them for some reason, and most of their heroes don't have them. And I know they've sort of become a lost art in DC. At the very least, I can't really think of too many sidekicks that appeared since the new 52.

I don't object to the idea of a hero getting an understudy to mentor. However, basically drafting (which is the only thing it can be considered, as there's no way children can make informed consent to this) children into vigilantism is kind of....well... Probably why they had Dick, Jason and Tim all join in their late teens in the new 52 continuity.

I guess the dividing line here is how you view comics. If the new age of comics means you give the stories a certain degree of authenticity, the concept of sidekicks, especially kid sidekicks, is criminally irresponsible. I like the idea of it and the good characters that came out of it, but it has an irreversible effect on how Batman is viewed as a guardian, depending on the danger that criminals and supervillains actually pose. If the supervillains are literally cartoonish and ineffective, then letting kids join is no big deal. If they are...

Well, I'm having trouble reconciling my idea of a criminal world that poses a measure authentic danger in comics vs the inclusion of child sidekicks. One has to exclude one or the other, or else you seriously have to put in question Batman's morality. Which is also fine if thats what you want to do, but most stories want to have Batman's decision to include Dick, Jason and Tim into his crimefighting as good, or atleast not evil.

What do you guys think?

Edit: to be clear, I kind of just got stuck on Batman as I was writing it, as he's the hero with sidekicks who I understand most/best, but I meant it to apply to superheroes in general.

Bat parenting 101:

494596-hg.jpg

Zombine

Banned
Sons of The Devil #1

So this book sat in my back catalogue since July, and I can honestly say that it hit all the right notes for a first issue. I'm genuinely interested in finding out more information about Travis and what the hell is up with his eyes. It's violent and cool and gritty, and those are all things I enjoy in my books. Buccellato's writing is intricate and very organic. Time to start #2.

8/10
+Toni Infante's Art
+Travis is an interesting and self-destructive main character
+Buccellato's writing
-Travis' employer too forgiving
-wasted character

What do you guys think?

Well... the birth of sidekicks was sort of a response to the increasingly apparent demographics of the time; kids (boys, really) were reading the books, so you started seeing young male characters to act as audience surrogates. Sometimes, this just resulted in Captain Marvel/Shazam type figures, where the kid is the star of the book (Superboy's another example in a weird sort of way). Other times you got your Robins. So it was more pandering than anything else.

These days, the average comic reader is much older, and significantly less male. THus, no more sidekicks. Batman still has 'em because at this point Robin and the role thereof is a tradition, but their absence from the rest of the line is mostly down to demographics. If the average age started skewing downwards again for whatever reason, you'd see them come back, and the settings would be adjusted appropriately.

EDIT: Oooh, yeah, this is where I remind/beg everybody to pick up We Are Robin so it doesn't get canceled!

Pick up We Are Robin so it doesn't get canceled, pls.

Zombine

Banned
MU update was ok. Skipping all this black vortex nonsense. But silk 1 is there. So I'll check that out

"Pokemon!? With the poké and the mon and the thing with the guy comes out of the thing and he says 'fah fah blah ah ah ah'"

-Silk
Silk #1 2015

"Did you love her?"

*In my way. By which I mean i never showed love to anyone if I could help it, but I would not want to have been without her face in my mind.*
---

You're alright, Ellis. You're alright...

Best line i've read all month, really.

Zombine

Banned
Sons Of The Devil #2

Really fun issue and picked up the plot points from the first issue and ran with it. Travis' relationship with his girlfriend is genuine and was a highlight of the issue. I also love how Buccelatto's characters aren't viewing an event from the readers point of view, and don't always say things we think that they should be saying. The art was gorgeous again as well. I'm on for the run.

9/10
+Infante's art
+Travis and Melissa
+Creepy Cult Antics
+Killer dialogue
+Final pages
-Where'd Melissa get the photo?
-No Madea

Top Bottom