• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Squire

Banned
I'm not big on the new NA art, but I've found covers are one thing, panels are another. It's not the style I would've chosen, but it'll really depend on how it looks moment to moment.

I would buy that if I still read comics and it wasn't a cash grab held together with bubble gum and Durex.

all comics are cash grabs and there is no such thing as ethical consumption in a capitalist society

every comic you buy goes to creators so buy nike pumps made by the bloody hands of children

Reading the 2004 run of She-Hulk and why is it that with regular Hulk, him and Banner are basically two separate people, who sometimes even hate each other, but with She-Hulk it's one person fully in control of a powered up form? Do they explain that somewhere in the Marvel continuity?

She accepted it. Most of the time she'd rather stay hulked out.

VanWinkle

I've been giving DC a lot of attention and hardly any to marvel in my graphic novel buying.

I only have like 20 graphic novels (vast majority of which are DC) and no comic books, so pretty much everything is new to me.

What are some essential Marvel graphic novels to you guys? The only ones I have are Marvels (absolutely adored it) and Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman. I'm up for anything that's good. I just don't even know where to start honestly.

If it helps, my favorite Marvel characters are Spiderman and Captain America. And the only one I'm not huge into is Hulk since he comes across as kind of dimwitted to me.

Thanks.

I've been giving DC a lot of attention and hardly any to marvel in my graphic novel buying.

I only have like 20 graphic novels (vast majority of which are DC) and no comic books, so pretty much everything is new to me.

What are some essential Marvel graphic novels to you guys? The only ones I have are Marvels (absolutely adored it) and Marvel 1602 by Neil Gaiman. I'm up for anything that's good. I just don't even know where to start honestly.

If it helps, my favorite Marvel characters are Spiderman and Captain America. And the only one I'm not huge into is Hulk since he comes across as kind of dimwitted to me.

Thanks.

for Marvel I always recommend buying a subscription to Marvel Unlimited which is basically netflix for Marvel digital comics. The value is absurd.

For books, I'd recommend

Hickman's Fantastic Four run
Millar and Hitch's Ultimates
Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men
Remender's Uncanny X-Force

those are all relatively lengthy (26+ issues) runs to get you started

Another boss down in Bloodborne! Haha im so slow in this game and so many bloods lost from wipes. But I grind through it. I'm so over leveled for the area I'm in but it's helping.

Thanks.

Daredevil by Bendis was amazing.

Hawkeye by Matt Fraction is a new classic too. Definitely read that.

Also seconding Ed's recommendation of Uncanny X-Force by Remender.

VanWinkle

for Marvel I always recommend buying a subscription to Marvel Unlimited which is basically netflix for Marvel digital comics. The value is absurd.

For books, I'd recommend

Hickman's Fantastic Four run
Millar and Hitch's Ultimates
Whedon and Cassaday's Astonishing X-Men
Remender's Uncanny X-Force

those are all relatively lengthy (26+ issues) runs to get you started

I tried Unlimited but for the life of me I just can't get into reading them on my phone.

Thanks for the recs, though. I bought Ultimates Vol. 1 because I found a used copy in very good condition for seven bucks.

Messi

Deadly Class #14 :
Man Marcus is a prick even if he is spinning out. If he hurts Saya over a grudge :(. Bit surprised Willie would be onto Saya but even more surprised that he would do it to Marcus. That goth girl has her shit together. But he won't listen to her.

I feel this immense sadness over Maria. Couldn't shake it while reading this issue.

Just read the Uncanny issue from six months ago where
Cyclops truly shuts everything down, breaks up with Emma for good, dumps his students off with Storm and exits with Havok.

I'm kinda going to miss BMB's X-Men. I think his move from Avengers to X-Men freshened him up as well as the books.

And it's kind of crazy to think at this point Cyclops has been with Emma for like 15 years real time. In fact, I guarantee most people have read more books where that's the quo than Scott and Jean. In fact I bet there were more X-Books published during the S&E era than the S&J eras.

Okay, guess there were twice as many Scott and Jean years: 65-70 (hiatus), 75 (comeback)-80 (DPS), 87 (return)-03 (death again). That's about 25. S&E was 03-15. 12 years.

my LCS slipped in a Book of Death Fall of Ninjak tie-in because I read Ninjak. Bought it anyway 'cause why not
all comics are cash grabs and there is no such thing as ethical consumption in a capitalist society

every comic you buy goes to creators so buy nike pumps made by the bloody hands of children

f-fuck, this is too real guys

i'm leaving this community

frye

my LCS slipped in a Book of Death Fall of Ninjak tie-in because I read Ninjak. Bought it anyway 'cause why not

f-fuck, this is too real guys

i'm leaving this community

it's time to quit comics for good and dedicate my life to the permanent revolution

Hudson Hawk is a damn weird movie. WEIRD. And shockingly violent. O_O

EDIT:

I remember that movie.
I hadn't seen it since childhood; I remember watching it with my parents and being excited because it had Bruce Willis from Moonlighting and Die Hard, but I quickly lost interest and went to my room to play video games. Seeing it as an adult and watching it all the way through for the first time, it is WEIRD. Almost Naked Gun and Hot Shots levels of goofiness, only the slapstick violence has deadly serious consequences. One guy gets a bomb stuck to his forehead like it's a plunger and he's stumbling around trying to get it off, big laughs, and then the thing goes off and limbs are flying and people are dying. Another guy gets his head rammed into a phone booth and you see the glass shatter at the impact of his head against the glass and he hits the ground, then later in the scene he's bleeding and missing a tooth and a little stupid so big laughs.

What, any comics?

You're reading Mangoes but not Omega Men?

Shaaaaame
I was mega hyped for all that shit, still have all my July comics to read but I just don't have the desire to power through. It's so bad I haven't even read Cyborg yet. I was so hyped for DC You but Dan Didio and the powers that be can go fuck themselves. Walmart can go fuck themselves too.

Squire

Banned
Cyclops truly shuts everything down, breaks up with Emma for good, dumps his students off with Storm and exits with Havok.

I'm kinda going to miss BMB's X-Men. I think his move from Avengers to X-Men freshened him up as well as the books.

And it's kind of crazy to think at this point Cyclops has been with Emma for like 15 years real time. In fact, I guarantee most people have read more books where that's the quo than Scott and Jean. In fact I bet there were more X-Books published during the S&E era than the S&J eras.

That whole arc was phenomenal. He's not leaving any big changes really, but Bendis really excels at the drama.

Prez continues to be a great book. Full of real talk.

I need to try that soon. Seems really interesting.

I was mega hyped for all that shit, still have all my July comics to read but I just don't have the desire to power through. It's so bad I haven't even read Cyborg yet. I was so hyped for DC You but Dan Didio and the powers that be can go fuck themselves. Walmart can go fuck themselves too.

Man, that's just Bleeding Cool doing their Bleeding Cool shit. Probably total bull.

Walmart can get fucked, tho.

http://comicsalliance.com/omega-men-nine-panel-grid/

Here's a nice little write up regarding the paneling system seen in Omega Men. It includes one of the highlights of the series for me (the ending of issue #2).

Also this series might have my favorite covers at that moment. Love the fact it's vandalized propaganda art.

Panel structures are something I only really started paying attention to fairly recently, but this is a really great article, especially the bit at the end comparing the story themes of the rigidly structured society with the rigidly structured Grid vs. the occasional breaking points that all seem to center around the Omega Men. Very well noted.

Such a fantastic book.

Was it ever revealed what Mr. Waid/Mr. Samnee's All New, All Different title is?

UpcbMDX.gif

Went to my local Half Price Books and they had bundles of twenty random issues of comics for $5 to $7. Thing is you could only see the first issue's cover. Had 8 or so of the bundles.

Yousefb

Panel structures are something I only really started paying attention to fairly recently, but this is a really great article, especially the bit at the end comparing the story themes of the rigidly structured society with the rigidly structured Grid vs. the occasional breaking points that all seem to center around the Omega Men. Very well noted.

Such a fantastic book.
Did not notice that before reading the article, really great attention to detail.

Yousefb

Just read The Omega Men #1 and it was a really cool intro issue. I'll check out the rest.
Did you the read the free #0 issue? It's very short but it kicks off the whole series in such a dark and powerful way. You just know that these guys are not be messed with immediately.

Sidenote: Does Alan Moore's Swamp Thing still hold up? Never read it.

Don't forget Scott and Madelyn! Truly Marvel's premiere power couple

Top Bottom