• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

Cheebo

Banned
Despite Disney deep-sixing all existing Star Wars chronology outside of the films, it does have me looking forward to all of the new stories they can tell now. I kind of wish they at least kept Mara Jade and the Solo kids around, but I don't expect Disney wants to have to pay the creators of existing characters.
There is no creator owned content in Star Wars.

They got rid of the EU because no filmmaker wants to be tied down to decades of endless continuity in comics/books that 99.99% of the audience is unaware of. And picking and choosing random stories and elements to keep would have been even messier and more confusing to try and follow.

It would be like if the MCU films had to maintain continuity with the 616 Marvel comics.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yeah, not always in Image's case. IDW, Valiant, DC yes.

IDW and Valiant have super expensive OHCs though. Mostly because they've barely got any discount on IST.
But then again, their TPBs are also super expensive, so I guess you're right.

IDW and Valiant have super expensive OHCs though. Mostly because they've barely got any discount on IST.
But then again, their TPBs are also super expensive, so I guess you're right.

I guess. I was just thinking list price. The prices on amazon have dipped well below the 30% on IST the last few months for some.

List prices and value, Valiant definitely wins out. They pack a lot of stuff into those OHCs. The Armor Hunters OHC was like $50 for what most publishers consider an omnibus ~22 issues. It was $25 on amazon for a few weeks.

Also, as a rule, they also always do a $10 first trade, even if it's a miniseries.

There is no creator owned content in Star Wars.

They got rid of the EU because no filmmaker wants to be tied down to decades of endless continuity in comics/books that 99.99% of the audience is unaware of. And picking and choosing random stories and elements to keep would have been even messier and more confusing to try and follow.

It would be like if the MCU films had to maintain continuity with the 616 Marvel comics.

And for that matter, they could always "create" Mara Jade or Thrawn or whoever they want in the new canon anyway. Pretty safe bet the original Solo kids are gone forever though.

Newsarama interview with James Asmus guesting on Unity.

There are a handful of other projects we’ve been developing, as well as some more (big) stories planned for Quantum and Woody. Especially after they accidentally kill Ninj—aaah… I probably shouldn’t spoil it just yet…

CxM9rLC.gif

Fuck I just had a crazy theory. What if Valiant kills off Ninjak and replaces his role in Unity with Roku? Holy shit, and especially when
they've shown her fighting against Darque in Book of Death.
dude wtf this is looking too real to me

Kipp

I guess. I was just thinking list price. The prices on amazon have dipped well below the 30% on IST the last few months for some.

List prices and value, Valiant definitely wins out. They pack a lot of stuff into those OHCs. The Armor Hunters OHC was like $50 for what most publishers consider an omnibus ~22 issues. It was $25 on amazon for a few weeks.

Also, as a rule, they also always do a $10 first trade, even if it's a miniseries.

Ah! I always forget to check Amazon. I just assume IST has the cheapest prices.

Ah! I always forget to check Amazon. I just assume IST has the cheapest prices.

I check everything 3 times over to be sure. In retrospect, I totally should have bought that Armor Hunters OHC when it was cheap. I'm missing the Harbinger and Bloodshot tie ins, and the 2 trade prices added up to about the same. I'm dumb.

Owzers

did anyone pick up Jae Lee's Wonder Woman figure? It looks great on video but i want to see what people here think. Also the video talked about the inside of all the noses being kinda red.

Weiss

Banned
Shiiiit I wish the Fourth World Omnibuses were still in print. All the scans I've seen of the original Kirby comics make me think they're some of the best superhero stories ever.

Kipp

Just finished Li'l Gotham Vol 1. Absolutely brilliant. One of the most enjoyable comics I've ever read.

Now it's time to keep this fun-comics-train going and start Ms. Marvel. :D

That's because they totally are

You've read Simonson's Orion, right? If so, what'd you think of it?

tim1138

Just finished Li'l Gotham Vol 1. Absolutely brilliant. One of the most enjoyable comics I've ever read.

It's Simonson on some of my all time favorite characters, it's absolutely brilliant. It's a shame DC butchered the omni by separating the backup stories from the issues they appeared in.

Weiss

Banned

Let me put it this way.

In issue 6 a single throwaway panel in a massive two page splash basically foreshadows the entire series and Orion's journey.

It's genuinely one of the best comics from one of DC's best creative periods (1996 - 2004).

That's because they totally are

I love the way Chris Sims from Comicsalliance writes about them. Being the personifications of Good and Evil as concepts, how Orion, son of Darkseid, was taught a better way by Highfather chose a path of Good while Mr. Miracle, raised in Apokalips, also chose Good and brought Big Barda to his side through the sheer power of love, how Darkseid is less of a big punching bag and more the most evil being in existence, devoted only to suffering and control, the absolute personification of every selfish whim and evil thought we have.

These early issues of Marvel are insane for how much of a sliding scale heroes' powers seem to be on. I understand they were all just finding their feet still, but man they never feel like they'll be in trouble as they'll just ramp up their powers or abilities.

A new canon novel is out. It has a prologue set directly before the Force Awakens. Leia's last name in it is Organa. Not Solo, not Solo-Organa. Take of that what you will.

Oh shit, that's right. Han and Leia didn't get married until after the films. It was in one of the old Bantam novels.

Boogiepop

Oh man, there's something amazing about Fraction slotting in
a trope-y anime hot springs filler style bit... In the Watcher's house on the moon!
into FF! Getting close to the end now, too!

tim1138

Let me put it this way.

In issue 6 a single throwaway panel in a massive two page splash basically foreshadows the entire series and Orion's journey.

It's genuinely one of the best comics from one of DC's best creative periods (1996 - 2004).

I love the way Chris Sims from Comicsalliance writes about them. Being the personifications of Good and Evil as concepts, how Orion, son of Darkseid, was taught a better way by Highfather chose a path of Good while Mr. Miracle, raised in Apokalips, also chose Good and brought Big Barda to his side through the sheer power of love, how Darkseid is less of a big punching bag and more the most evil being in existence, devoted only to suffering and control, the absolute personification of every selfish whim and evil thought we have.

Right, all too often Darkseid is written as a punching bag for Supes to go up against, completely ignoring that he is a force of nature. He is literally evil. That's one of the many reasons Final Crisis works so well, Morrison got the concept of the character and wrote him pitch perfect. There is an absolute and palpable sense of dread as he takes over Dan Turpin's body, and then that final page where Turpin gives up, it's just perfect.

It bothers me the most when people get Barda and Mr Miracle wrong though, the bantery nature of their relationship was based on Kirby's relationship with his wife Roz, and a lot of Barda's personality comes from Roz as well. Their little surrogate family with Oberon is my favorite family unit in comics, followed closely by Buddy, Ellen, Cliffy, and Maxine Baker (Animal Man).

I long for a new New Gods book but at the same time I'd hate to so those characters mishandled by a lesser creator who didn't really get them.

Kipp

It's Simonson on some of my all time favorite characters, it's absolutely brilliant. It's a shame DC butchered the omni by separating the backup stories from the issues they appeared in.

Awesome. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Was just curious.
And to be honest, as much as it's a big shame they screwed up the omnibus in such a careless way, it wasn't too big of a hassle. I just had two bookmarks and flipped to the back for the backup stories after reading the issues.
How did anyone think those "backup" stories should be thrown into the back like bonuses? It's not even as if the backup stories just supplemented the main story, they were absolutely key to the main story. Anyone who'd even read a few issues of the series would know that they shouldn't get tossed into the back of the book. It's just pure carelessness that it ended up that way.
But again, I'm still very happy to own the omnibus since it was an excellent read and it wasn't that much of a hassle to flip back and forth to read it in the proper order.

Let me put it this way.

I've actually read it (just this past month, in fact), I was just curious to know if Tim enjoyed it since he's a massive Kirby/Fourth World/New Gods fan.

Which panel was that though? That's super cool. I didn't catch that.
I just pulled out my omnibus and flipped through #6 real quick, but I couldn't spot a two-page splash.

Right, all too often Darkseid is written as a punching bag for Supes to go up against, completely ignoring that he is a force of nature. He is literally evil. That's one of the many reasons Final Crisis works so well, Morrison got the concept of the character and wrote him pitch perfect. There is an absolute and palpable sense of dread as he takes over Dan Turpin's body, and then that final page where Turpin gives up, it's just perfect.

It bothers me the most when people get Barda and Mr Miracle wrong though, the bantery nature of their relationship was based on Kirby's relationship with his wife Roz, and a lot of Barda's personality comes from Roz as well. Their little surrogate family with Oberon is my favorite family unit in comics, followed closely by Buddy, Ellen, Cliffy, and Maxine Baker (Animal Man).

I long for a new New Gods book but at the same time I'd hate to so those characters mishandled by a lesser creator who didn't really get them.

Hickman is the one creator out today that could do it. Well besides Morrison

did anyone pick up Jae Lee's Wonder Woman figure? It looks great on video but i want to see what people here think. Also the video talked about the inside of all the noses being kinda red.
Was thinking about picking up Batman and Wonder Woman (because duh) when they were announced, but got put off when I saw closeups of Batman. I saw some at the shop Wed though; if they're still there I could take a closer look for you next time I go.

Kipp

Personally, I think Bendis could absolutely nail it.

Kidding obviously, but in seriousness, could you imagine Mike Mignola doing a New Gods series!? That would be INSANE. And I assume he knows all about New Gods since he's clearly studied Kirby's work more than almost anyone else.

Weiss

Banned
And to be honest, as much as it's a big shame they screwed up the omnibus in such a careless way, it wasn't too big of a hassle. I just had two bookmarks and flipped to the back for the backup stories after reading the issues.
How did anyone think those "backup" stories should be thrown into the back like bonuses? It's not even as if the backup stories just supplemented the main story, they were absolutely key to the main story. Anyone who'd even read a few issues of the series would know that they shouldn't get tossed into the back of the book. It's just pure carelessness that it ended up that way.
But again, I'm still very happy to own the omnibus since it was an excellent read and it wasn't that much of a hassle to flip back and forth to read it in the proper order.

I've actually read it (just this past month, in fact), I was just curious to know if Tim enjoyed it since he's a massive Kirby/Fourth World/New Gods fan.

Which panel was that though? That's super cool. I didn't catch that.
I just pulled out my omnibus and flipped through #6 real quick, but I couldn't spot a two-page splash.

The first fight with Darkseid (is that not issue 6? I know it's early) Right at the beginning, with no dialogue, Orion throws away his Mother Box to fight Darkseid. Symbolically, Orion is rejecting everything New Genesis taught him so he can beat Darkseid; he's trying to beat Evil with Evil, and in Kirby cosmology, that doesn't work. It's basically a gigantic superhero tragedy.

Kipp

All right guys. I'm going to go to a comics and toys/action figures/statues shop (Toy Wars, if you're wondering, ReAxion) with my sizable bundle of tip money. Wish me luck!

The first fight with Darkseid (is that not issue 6? I know it's early) Right at the beginning, with no dialogue, Orion throws away his Mother Box to fight Darkseid. Symbolically, Orion is rejecting everything New Genesis taught him so he can beat Darkseid; he's trying to beat Evil with Evil, and in Kirby cosmology, that doesn't work. It's basically a gigantic superhero tragedy.

Ah! That's issue 5 actually. (Don't worry, I didn't know that off the top of my head. Only knew it because I'd just opened up the omnibus 30 minutes ago.)
That's super cool though. I definitely didn't catch that symbolism when I was reading it. Great stuff.

tim1138

Yeah it's really mind boggling that anyone thought that was a good idea. I guess Didio assured Simonson that if it ever gets another printing or a paperback release they'll put the backups where they should be.

Hickman could absolutely nail it, no doubt about that. If I was DC I'd be throwing massive amounts of money at him to come and do just that.

Kidding obviously, but in seriousness, could you imagine Mike Mignola doing a New Gods series!? That would be INSANE. And I assume he knows all about New Gods since he's clearly studied Kirby's work more than almost anyone else.

Mignola is a masterclass writer for sure, but I'd almost rather see him draw that book than write it. So Hickman/Mignola on New Gods it is!

Given that DC is already reboot-friendly, one wonders if the universe wouldn't be far more interesting if they put the reboot on a clock like, say, 4-5 years, and then characters are allowed to truly suffer consequences until the next reboot.

Which, obv, would force editors to have some sorta guiding line for the whole cycle, but would also allow writers to toy with concepts such as "what would be the long term ramifications of superman being truly dead for the next 2-3 years?"

Problem with punting those scenarios to an elseworlds kinda deal is that writers can just brush alla that noise off and keep rehashing stories.

(and now i wait for someone to tell me that this was already done and i didnt know about it because i barely touch dc)

Mignola would do really well with it. I would love to see Mignola on more Big 2 properties in general.

MIGNOLA FOR INHUMANS
Not bad!

Beyond suit still doesn't work in hi def, tho.
Very true
Hickman could absolutely nail it, no doubt about that. If I was DC I'd be throwing massive amounts of money at him to come and do just that.

Mignola is a masterclass writer for sure, but I'd almost rather see him draw that book than write it. So Hickman/Mignola on New Gods it is!
I can't handle that....the joy...

Top Bottom