• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Despite Disney deep-sixing all existing Star Wars chronology outside of the films, it does have me looking forward to all of the new stories they can tell now. I kind of wish they at least kept Mara Jade and the Solo kids around, but I don't expect Disney wants to have to pay the creators of existing characters.
The characters are most likely handled like Comicbook characters. And I think it was more LucasFilms idea. Because they need space for the new movies.

Also wtf is this
uVCSSWh.jpg

Nice to see Brainiac 5 and Superman have joined the Avengers.

Sadist

About Cyclops...

Does anyone know what happens with the guy post-SW?
Young Cyclops is back with the others it seems
. Better yet, what about Emma?

Squire

Banned
About Cyclops...

Does anyone know what happens with the guy post-SW?
Young Cyclops is back with the others it seems
. Better yet, what about Emma?

They're MIA. Presumably we'll find out why during the new runs. We still don't even really know what's up with them right before SW though. Wherever it is Hickman wanted Cyke to be at the last minute, it's all in Uncanny X-Men #600.

Tizoc

Not much for me this week.
Art in Rat Queens 11 was eh, but I like the story they're going with despite being a simple one.

Old Man Logan #4 was nice, but the overall mini being a re-tread of the original series is disappointing IMO.

Godzilla in Hell #2
This one had dialog, bad move, really bad decision. The first issue had no dialog or text outside of SFX. Art is fanastic though

Hellboy in Hell #7
Now this is the best issue of the week, nice story and dialog and art is top notch.

Zombine

Banned
My marvel collectors corps came today, the Thor pop looks so cool. Miles is Miles.

They're both pretty sweet, but clearly there is way more love in the Thor pop. Miles is just a variant, but I respect that there's only so much you can do with Spider Man and at least the coloring is super cool.

Hagi

They're both pretty sweet, but clearly there is way more love in the Thor pop. Miles is just a variant, but I respect that there's only so much you can do with Spider Man and at least the coloring is super cool.

I don't have a Spider-man pop so Miles being a variant is okay, he has the best suit anyway. Thor even has a nice chromish paint for her helmet which i wasn't really expecting. Good stuff all round. Wonder if the next box will be All New All Different themed and we'll get one of the new character designs for a pop. Imagine December is going to be Star Wars.

Messi

Bought. Plus East of West 1-5.

Been a while since I took advantage of sale. Feels good.

Good pickups. East of West reads really well in bunches. I couldn't do it month-to-month

Is there a reason that Loughridge is not on Deadly Class #15. Boyd is on instead. Loughridge hadn't missed an issue before now. Not saying Boyds work is bad it's quite close to Loughridge. It's just curious.

Is Fatale 1-24 worth $23?

On sale on CMX. Fade Out and Criminal too

Critical reception

The first issue sold well enough to return to press four times.[11] Reviews for the series were mostly positive with comparisons to the creative team's previous work on Sleeper, Criminal, and Incognito.[12][13][14]

Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips received multiple 2013 Eisner Awards nominations for Fatale: "Best Continuing Series" (Brubaker and Phillips), "Best New Series"(Brubaker and Phillips), "Best Writer" (Brubaker), "Best Penciller/Inker" (Phillips), and "Best Cover Artist" (Phillips).[15]

David Stewart received a 2013 Eisner nomination for "Best Coloring", which he won.[16]

but really, brubaker + female lead should've all you needed.

Tizoc

Fatale is by Ed Brubaker right?
Rule of thumb is if a comic is by a well regarded writer, 95% of the time it's worth getting no questions asked.

Good pickups. East of West reads really well in bunches. I couldn't do it month-to-month

Is there a reason that Loughridge is not on Deadly Class #15. Boyd is on instead. Loughridge hadn't missed an issue before now. Not saying Boyds work is bad it's quite close to Loughridge. It's just curious.
Think it's because Loughridge is on Black Canary

but really, brubaker + female lead should've all you needed.

Brubaker with one of his signature tag teams (Lark, Phillips, Epting) is magical stuff.

Think it's because Loughridge is on Black Canary

Hmm I was thinking I heard Loughridge had moved on, but I wasn't sure why. Shame, he's a tremendous colorist. The guy who came in after him on Gotham Central had big shoes to fill (though he did a great job).

Went to my local Half Price Books and they had bundles of twenty random issues of comics for $5 to $7. Thing is you could only see the first issue's cover. Had 8 or so of the bundles.
Those bundles are okay in my experience. You sometimes get good stuff like random issues of X statix but most of the time you get 90s issues of crap

Messi

Brubaker with one of his signature tag teams (Lark, Phillips, Epting) is magical stuff.

Hmm I was thinking I heard Loughridge had moved on, but I wasn't sure why. Shame, he's a tremendous colorist. The guy who came in after him on Gotham Central had big shoes to fill (though he did a great job).

New chap does a lovely job.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just watched a 45-minute Obama speech for the 10th Anniversary of Katrina. Dude brought the fire. Good stuff.

Gonna read some comics today I think.
Super hyped to read more Li'l Gotham. :D

Speaking of, have you read any of it yet, Launchpad?

What!?!!? Really? I'm still waiting for my DCBS shipment :(

Did you see they announced an ongoing (I think) for next year.

Now that they're on CMX, I'm high rolling 8) though I really didn't mind their website, other than the 3 downloads per file nonsense.

Yeah, I saw that. I've got mixed feelings, because I felt pretty good about this being a mini, but on the other hand it's so damn amazing that I think bringing this team together again in whatever circumstances is going to be an amazing thing. Plus, now that they've introduced those new elements in #4, there's this whole world they can build on. I hope they don't go too crazy with that, because I'm enjoying the scaled back aspect as it's told from the perspective of Duncan and Madison. It gives those
other entities a sense of mystery and actually makes them kind of scary.

Man, this has become my favorite current series, which is saying a lot considering the peaks of Timewalker. I'm beyond hyped for September 9.

Just watched a 45-minute Obama speech for the 10th Anniversary of Katrina. Dude brought the fire. Good stuff.

Gonna read some comics today I think.
Super hyped to read more Li'l Gotham. :D

Speaking of, have you read any of it yet, Launchpad?

No, I haven't. I sat down yesterday and wanted to read some srs comics, so I started Jenkins' Inhumans. I might hit it up this weekend.

Man, I'm really liking Wolf, you guys. His relationship with the little girl
who may be the antichrist
is funny already. As long as William S. Burroughs doesn't show up this is shaping up to be one of Kot's best. Great use of colour, that's to be expected from the art team of course.

Yes to this.
Loving this book as well,, This is pretty much my ideal book

"The crime noir thrills and characters reminiscent of True Detective meet with mythical stakes worthy of Neil Gaiman's Sandman in this original fantasy/horror/crime saga for mature readers "

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wait.. What. Not in images case. Rat Queens HC is 40, two TPBs are 25.

Though it's slightly unfair to use Image as an example, since their first TPBs are always $10.
But even still, yeah, that's true.

I guess it's mostly just the case with Marvel, DC, and Dark Horse.
And thinking about it, in most cases it's probably equal in price to get the OHC over TPBs from those publishers. But for the same price you're getting hardcover and oversized and usually some bonus stuff, so it's better value.

Top Bottom