• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Can anyone recommend a comic like One Piece? I'm really in the mood to read something like that, with slow, great world building that I can lose myself in.

Read most similar manga (unfortunately, most of them are terrible/forgettable) but haven't looked at many comics in the same vein.

One Punch Man and Deadly Class are close enough to what your looking for. I love One Piece and highly recommend those two.

Caught up on some reading last night.

All-Star Batman 1: 7/10

A decent start, art is better than I expected, but Batman is way too quippy. Otherwise I'm at least intrigued to see where it's going.

Spider-Man/Deadpool 8: 9/10

Still the best book I'm reading right now. New Spidey costume is pretty hot too.

kmfdmpig

ahm...all of those are perfect for a lighthearted book?

man, pre-dbz toriyama art was like, legit best in industry for what he was going for.

So obviously it's my views that are outside the norm here. Maybe it's because Birds of Prey (pre Nu52) was one of my favorite series and I was hopeful that this one would pull me back in as the Dixon/Simone runs did, but for me the art didn't match the tone and the noses were very distracting. If it works for most people though that's great as I'm a fan of the characters and I wish the series well even if it's not what I was looking for.

Tizoc

Right then time to catch up to comics~

Batman #4 and 5
Meh, feels like a retread of the Superman story that John Romita Jr. drew some months back.

All-Star Batman #1
Eh...didn't catch my interest :/

Black Panther #5
Finally some progress, let's see how this ends.

Darth Vader #24
Well that was an issue about nothing....

Vision 10
Slow ass issue, I should re-read this when it finishes to see if I like it more.

Transformers 'Til all are one #3
Oooooooooooooh so THAT'S WHAT THE TITLE MEANS
Nice way to get Bruticus and the other combiners into the continuity lol

Transfromers MTMTE #56
Book of the week right from the first 2 pages.
FREAKIN' PROWL
YOU ARROGANT SON OF A GLITCH
Argh forgot this takes place AFTER the mainline TF book. No biggy, the issue was pretty good still.

TheFlow

Banned
Right then time to catch up to comics~

Batman #4 and 5
Meh, feels like a retread of the Superman story that John Romita Jr. drew some months back.

All-Star Batman #1
Eh...didn't catch my interest :/

Black Panther #5
Finally some progress, let's see how this ends.

Darth Vader #24

Vision 10
Slow ass issue, I should re-read this when it finishes to see if I like it more.

Transformers 'Til all are one #3
Oooooooooooooh so THAT'S WHAT THE TITLE MEANS
Nice way to get Bruticus and the other combiners into the continuity lol

Transfromers MTMTE #56
Book of the week right from the first 2 pages.
FREAKIN' PROWL
YOU ARROGANT SON OF A GLITCH
Argh forgot this takes place AFTER the mainline TF book. No biggy, the issue was pretty good still.
Man I gotta pick up black panther.

Rafa's Batgirl:

0k6KIRt.png

Or whatever the hell this is:

E2BIV0B.png

Tough choices.

Rafa's Batgirl:

0k6KIRt.png

E2BIV0B.png

Tough choices.

I will never tire of contemporary culture's ability to isolate details bereft of context in order to support the rising tide of cynicism and dissatisfaction in America.

The editing on The Get Down is too weird!
This face looks stupid!
This casting news means the movie I haven't seen a frame of is going to rot butt!

The cynical deserve garbage and yet continue to be given boundless amazingness. It would be sad if it wasn't so fascinatingly strange.

Darth Vader #24

Wouldn't say that. We've never really had a glimpse at what Vader's actually thinking or feeling throughout the book and rightfully so but
getting the chance to go into his mind and watch him kill his old self was pretty powerful.
Gillen's done a good job of making the prequels and OT feel like one whole, which hasn't always been the case. I never get bored of watching him
kill another version of Cylo either, haha.

Like, just think about the fact that it actually takes effort to isolate the drawing of a face and that it is INTENTIONALLY removed from its context. Because in order for this bald facedly cynical argument to work, it MUST be looked out alone, not as a part of even a PANEL of sequential art, not to mention a PAGE or a COMIC or a STORYLINE of it.

Truly the most pathetic way to place value on artistic content.

Tizoc

Wouldn't say that. We've never really had a glimpse at what Vader's actually thinking or feeling throughout the book and rightfully so but
getting the chance to go into his mind and watch him kill his old self was pretty powerful.
Gillen's done a good job of making the prequels and OT feel like one whole, which hasn't always been the case. I never get bored of watching him
kill another version of Cylo either, haha.

Eh didn't feel that impactful to me sad to say.

tim1138

Rafa's Batgirl:

0k6KIRt.png

E2BIV0B.png

Tough choices.

It's almost as if the context, body language, and use of expression in those panels is completely different and they have nothing in common other than both being Batgirl!

Nah, that makes too much sense.

Calling this work awful when it shows many of the characteristics of effective storytelling is pretty foolish. No one is gonna demand you like it if you don't. No one ever said the artist was or is unimpeachable. Does this artwork serve its purpose effectively and does it do it within conventional practice? It does, that's not really up to discussion.

You can have your own opinion about her style, you can think whatever about her rendering, about her figure work, about her compositions, her panel designs, but her work falls well within parameters of what makes good narrative art.

But like I said, you don't have to like it

man, pre-dbz toriyama art was like, legit best in industry for what he was going for.
Toriyama really was excellent

I didn't like any panel with Batgirl in it in that issue. It was all off. Rafa or any artist can draw Batgirl making the same goofy face and it would look better, imo.

And after Racistmaniac and Messi left, ya'll thought the shitposts would go down

well joke's on you fuckers exaggerated figure work expressing body language for comedic effect is bad now

Can't wait for Trump to clean this country up

And, like, what is the end game here? To WIN a contest where all opinions are subjective?

Do motherfuckers need so desperately to sway others to their cause that they have to design the comic book equivalent of a fucking SWIFT BOAT CAMPAIGN AD to do it?

It's literally Trumpian Comic Criticism.

"Hey, African Americans, vote for me because immigrants are taking your jobs."
"Um, actually, let's just look at that in context because the reality is --"
"SAYS WHO."

I mean, really, congratulations for sending the bar through the floor so hard it landed in the Sydney fucking Opera House on the other side of the planet.

VanWinkle

Calling this work awful when it shows many of the characteristics of effective storytelling is pretty foolish. No one is gonna demand you like it if you don't. No one ever said the artist was or is unimpeachable. Does this artwork serve its purpose effectively and does it do it within conventional practice? It does, that's not really up to discussion.

You can have your own opinion about her style, you can think whatever about her rendering, about her figure work, about her compositions, her panel designs, but her work falls well within parameters of what makes good narrative art.

But like I said, you don't have to like it

People apparently just don't like that the artist draws the girls as unattractive (or what society would generally see as unattractive). He/she does a good job with panel work and composition. I don't really see anything as wrong, although it is certainly outside of the norm to draw lead characters like this. I don't have a problem with it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The kinda tease a death of a character? Hopefully it's not Peter, since we already saw the Team without him but with Iron Doom.

But they have a Spider clone Event thing going on, so it seems unlikely
He has a big event starting in his own books, dont worry.

And after Racistmaniac and Messi left, ya'll thought the shitposts would go down

well joke's on you fuckers exaggerated figure work expressing body language for comedic effect is bad now

Can't wait for Trump to clean this country up

And, like, what is the end game here? To WIN a contest where all opinions are subjective?

Do motherfuckers need so desperately to sway others to their cause that they have to design the comic book equivalent of a fucking SWIFT BOAT CAMPAIGN AD to do it?

"SAYS WHO."

I mean, really, congratulations for sending the bar through the floor so hard it landed in the Sydney fucking Opera House on the other side of the planet.
I started this. Only I can stop this.

Hagi

I will never tire of contemporary culture's ability to isolate details bereft of context in order to support the rising tide of cynicism and dissatisfaction in America.

The editing on The Get Down is too weird!
This face looks stupid!
This casting news means the movie I haven't seen a frame of is going to rot butt!

The cynical deserve garbage and yet continue to be given boundless amazingness. It would be sad if it wasn't so fascinatingly strange.

Like, just think about the fact that it actually takes effort to isolate the drawing of a face and that it is INTENTIONALLY removed from its context. Because in order for this bald facedly cynical argument to work, it MUST be looked out alone, not as a part of even a PANEL of sequential art, not to mention a PAGE or a COMIC or a STORYLINE of it.

Truly the most pathetic way to place value on artistic content.

"SAYS WHO."

tumblr_nv5ot1pt531tqfiweo1_500.gif

If I ever get good at drawing i'm glad people like you exist

I recently read this opinion piece that I think it articulates very well the problem with setting "expectations" of the works of art we are reading/watching/listening. We discuss the minutiae of what we want from a work art (I want faces to look like they were drawn by these three artists I like or I want a singer to sound like these two other singers I like), that we become more narrow minded about what we are willing to accept.

<Insert "lol Pulido eyes" here>

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...der-stop-asking-for-it-to-be-custom-tailored/

The idea that fans should be able to get their art made to order has always felt odd to me, because on a fundamental level, art is about trust. When we open a book, put on an album, start a new television show, or settle in as the lights go down in a movie theater, we&#8217;re preparing ourselves for what is fundamentally an act of submission. We&#8217;re giving ourselves over to a world of someone else&#8217;s making, a piece of music that emanated from someone else&#8217;s brain, a story where we have no ability to control the outcome, or, at minimum, someone else&#8217;s interpretation of a familiar narrative.

This is why art is genuinely transporting, rather than simply satisfying. If we had total control over what we were getting from art, we wouldn&#8217;t experience true surprise at a plot twist, the thrill of pieces of a story falling into a place we could not have anticipated, or the joy of sounds we couldn&#8217;t have juxtaposed ourselves, but that together are perfection. Our pleasures might be more precisely tailored, but they would be missing that particular experience of art giving us the thing we didn&#8217;t know we needed or wanted. The best art expands our sense of the world and what we can experience from it, rather than keeping us within neat, comfortable, pre-existing confines.

Wouldn't you have to type from a ship in the middle of the Atlantic to achieve that?

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
Yo, the editing in The Get Down is pretty weeks though.

That's the appeal, without the music video cutting around it would just be like any other music biopic/fake music biopic. The editing gives it flavor.

Also, I've only watched the first episode, but it also freaked me out that Jaden Smith was kind of really good in it. I assumed that it couldn't have been him because I didn't think he could actually act.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Hi, Comics-GAF. Figured my first post on GAF should be here since I have lurked the most in this thread. Getting back into comics over the past month or so (last time I collected was the McFarlane/Lee/Liefeld boom in the early 90s).

Standouts so far: Black Panther, Black Hammer, The Black Monday Murders, Dr. Strange (though the hands are fucking atrocious), and DC Rebirth stuff. Not a fan of Civil War II, but I am reading them anyway-- nostalgia reading, I guess.

Two quick questions: Is Asterios Polyp worth picking up, and has anyone figured out the "code" in The Black Monday Murders? I figure they are incantations as they match up with the book's legend.

Dysert had an interview on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/4ydajw/im_joshua_dysart_comic_book_writer_harbinger/

Some interesting answers (and he answers everyone's questions!)

In the beginning I took every single job I could get. So I wrote some T&A lesbian vampire comics for Chaos comics and everything. Nothing was too crass. But I started putting my foot down pretty early as to what I would and would not do, and, despite a few exceptions, I was always true to my personal voice. Sometimes this made me difficult to work with. And it's that reputation that maybe has kept me from DC and Marvel a little (I don't know for sure). But it also means that only people who really like the work I've put into the world have approached me, and now it's a feedback loop. You know? The more you show the world your OWN voice, the more they want only that from you. But make no mistake, money must NOT be your motivating factor, you must be willing to be broke for your ideals and your voice, because the moment you take a dime for the thing you love, it will change everything, make that choice wisely. These days I mostly say "no" to stuff, even cool stuff. Time is limited and life is short, and I want to make sure that I work with good people and make things that are a personal expression of some sort, or at the very least, get involved in projects where creating the project itself is an adventure.

My favorite single issues of comics are...

ANIMAL MAN #5: THE COYOTE GOSPEL SANDMAN #6: 24 HOURS SWAMP THING #56: My BLUE HEAVEN WATCHMAN #4: WATCHMAKER

Malyse

So much drama.

I'm liking the slow build of "What happened to Scott Summers?" in All New Xmen and Extraodinary Xmen. Last I recall he was facing off with God Doom and getting rekt, but I'm figuring that "Phoenix means rebirth" will be a get out of death free card for him.

Speaking of, are there any bigger character deaths you thought/hoped would stick? I for one doubt Bill Foster will be showing back up, and I think
Banner
should stay dead.

Pretty meh on that lineup. I only sorta care about Wasp.

Top Bottom