• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

PsychBat!

Banned
Okay so I don't know what the fuck happened here. All of you needed my gifs cuz it got really heated. Gketter and JC be damned.

Anyways, congrats to Zendaya. I was worried for a second that a former Disney TV star would go on to play the leading female role in a super hero blockbuster until I saw a clip of Shake it Up.

Gotta say, I'm not worried anymore. She did really well with that god awful script and managed to survive the other actors' horrible comedic timing. She looked like she had a bunch of room to grow that I'm actually excited. Unlike I am for Gal Gadot, while I look forward to WW, Gal's acting leaves a shitload to be desired.

Ross61

Is there anywhere were Gal needed to emote more or whatever? Everywhere I seen her, seems like she did enough of what was asked of her.

Tizoc

Man I really wanna read Transformers books now, but all the comics I have, I have already read.

Let's see..my trades are...Aquaman Vol. 4: Death of a King, or Robin Vol. 2: Triumphant...

Aquaman it is! Until my next visit to my LCS!

SIDE NOTE: One of the best animated fights ever committed to the medium
Oh did u catch up to mtmte?
Check out sins of the wreckers at least digitally

Why didn't any one tell me that there was a Red tornado mini series by Kurt Busiek And Carmine Infantino.
Hey, I mentioned it and asked if it was good! :p

BC link: Super Powers #1 is out in November from DC.
Written by ART BALTAZAR and FRANCO — Art and cover by ART BALTAZAR — Variant cover by FRANCO — Blank variant cover

Aw yeah, the World’s Greatest Heroes are back in a new, all-ages miniseries—except for Batman! Superman helps out by cleaning up in Gotham City, where he discovers a clue that sends Wonder Woman into space to find the Caped Crusader. Her journey brings her a step closer to Batman, but can she uncover the truth behind his disappearance? From the award-winning creative team that brought you TINY TITANS and SUPERMAN FAMILY ADVENTURES!
On sale NOVEMBER 23 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED E

PsychBat!

Banned
She's been serviceable in the role she's been given. And I liked what I saw in the trailer for Wonder Woman.
Small clips of bunched together with other clips not showing her acting. How do you know if she is serviceable when the movie isn't even out yet? And if the Fast movies and Triple 9 are anything to go by (which they are because, you know, she's in them) in where she's saying her lines slowly and looking pretty, no one should look forward to WW based solely on her acting.

Peru

Small clips of bunched together with other clips not showing her acting. How do you know if she is serviceable when the movie isn't even out yet? And if the Fast movies and Triple 9 are anything to go by (which they are because, you know, she's in them) in where she's saying her lines slowly and looking pretty, no one should look forward to WW based solely on her acting.

I don't look forward to movies solely based on anyone's acting, most of the times, but those examples aren't necessarily anything to go by just because she's in them. It is in fact quite likely that the makes of Fast movies and Triple 9 directed her that way, because there are other minor female roles like that in those movies. Who can say how she will sell the emotional scenes in WW but it's become clear she has a presence on screen and a weight to her actions as WW. That's half the job.

Ross61

What was she doing in those clips if she wasn't acting? And I was saying she was serviceable in the movies I've seen her in before. And I've seen nothing wrong with the way she's acted recently in BvS or WW. Rumor sites like BMD or the wrap would've been pounced on Gal acting chops if it was a problem, but the opposite has happened. I'm just not that worried.

Okay so there's apparently a second omnibus of the Perez WW run that was released in July but a) the site I've visited that listed it like BookDepository had it as unavailable b) BD's description is of the first omnibus and c) I can't find any info about it anywhere else...

I need to own the rest of his run dammit. T-T

PsychBat!

Banned
I don't look forward to movies solely based on anyone's acting, most of the times, but those examples aren't necessarily anything to go by just because she's in them. It is in fact quite likely that the makes of Fast movies and Triple 9 directed her that way, because there are other minor female roles like that in those movies. Who can say how she will sell the emotional scenes in WW but it's become clear she has a presence on screen and a weight to her actions as WW. That's half the job.

Are you really laying the responsibility of her acting in the movies I mentioned on the directors and screenwriters? It doesn't matter if there are other minor female roles that play similar to what she is doing in those movies, that is irrelevant. And yes, even if you don't think the movies she was in are not good indicators of what she is capable of because of the kind of role the movie has her in they are necessary to go by because she is in them, they showcase the acting ability of Gal. Point me towards anything else that tells me she is capable of what was shown in the Fast movies and Triple 9.

And as to your first and last points, you don't look forward to movies based solely on acting that's great, I don't either. And I never said that anyone should. I said people shouldn't look forward to WW solely on Gal's acting. And to say that Gal has a clear presence is absurd. The movie ain't out yet, calm down

What was she doing in those clips if she wasn't acting?
Talking about the other small tidbits that she wasn't in. Like the Amazons fighting Germans. And the movie isn't out yet, so stop saying she's serviceable in WW. No one said anything bad about Cavill's acting on BvS on rumor sites like the ones you mentioned and here we are. Dude's more wooden than Pinocchio.

tim1138

Okay so there's apparently a second omnibus of the Perez WW run that was released in July but a) the site I've visited that listed it like BookDepository had it as unavailable b) BD's description is of the first omnibus and c) I can't find any info about it anywhere else...

I need to own the rest of his run dammit. T-T

That's because it wasn't actually released. It was very quietly cancelled with no comment about if it would be resolicited at a later date.

Mediking

Is there anywhere were Gal needed to emote more or whatever? Everywhere I seen her, seems like she did enough of what was asked of her.

Gal Gadot:

Fast and Furious: "We're not asking for much here."

DC movies: "You're...uh.... okay..."

She's not trash but there are actresses who could be doing a much more believable job as Wonder Woman than her.

That's because it wasn't actually released. It was very quietly cancelled with no comment about if it would be resolicited at a later date.
tumblr_nl2qcpqhhq1rz6w0do1_500.gif

Asking again cos it got buried last time.

Would getting the Garth Ennis volumes of Hellblazer be a good jumping on point? A while ago my friend recommended Hellblazer to me, but its over 300 issues long lol so I dont want to get all of it. I like Ennis as a writer and I was looking at getting the TP vol 5-8, which covers Ennis' run. Would i be missing out on much by jumping in at vol 5?

Zombine

Banned
Asking again cos it got buried last time.

Would getting the Garth Ennis volumes of Hellblazer be a good jumping on point? A while ago my friend recommended Hellblazer to me, but its over 300 issues long lol so I dont want to get all of it. I like Ennis as a writer and I was looking at getting the TP vol 5-8, which covers Ennis' run. Would i be missing out on much by jumping in at vol 5?

I mean...it's a fine story. I would honestly start with the Jamie Delano books though. They're incredible and it's what defined the character.

I would rather have a fresh meal than warm leftovers that are kind of cold in the middle.

Ross61

Are you really laying the responsibility of her acting in the movies I mentioned on the directors and screenwriters? It doesn't matter if there are other minor female roles that play similar to what she is doing in those movies, that is irrelevant. And yes, even if you don't think the movies she was in are not good indicators of what she is capable of because of the kind of role the movie has her in they are necessary to go by because she is in them, they showcase the acting ability of Gal. Point me towards anything else that tells me she is capable of what was shown in the Fast movies and Triple 9.

And as to your first and last points, you don't look forward to movies based solely on acting that's great, I don't either. And I never said that anyone should. I said people shouldn't look forward to WW solely on Gal's acting. And to say that Gal has a clear presence is absurd. The movie ain't out yet, calm down

Talking about the other small tidbits that she wasn't in. Like the Amazons fighting Germans. And the movie isn't out yet, so stop saying she's serviceable in WW. No one said anything bad about Cavill's acting on BvS on rumor sites like the ones you mentioned and here we are. Dude's more wooden than Pinocchio.
I don't think they're saying anything about Cavill's acting because they don't that it's bad.
There is nothing that would deter me right because I've liked what I've seen from her in the role.

I mean...it's a fine story. I would honestly start with the Jamie Delano books though. They're incredible and it's what defined the character.

I would rather have a fresh meal than warm leftovers that are kind of cold in the middle.
Haha fair enough. I'll get the first volumes and go from there.

Really liked Supergirl. Having read nothing with Supergirl until this point I thought it was a good reboot/jumping on point. Wasn't as great a first issue as New Super-Man or Superwoman, but was still good.

Ross61

Really liked Supergirl. Having read nothing with Supergirl until this point I thought it was a good reboot/jumping on point. Wasn't as great a first issue as New Super-Man or Superwoman, but was still good.
The Superman line is in a way better place than its been in a long time.

The Superman line is in a way better place than its been in a long time.

Except for Action Comics, I've pretty much given up on it, but this next issue can pull me back as long as it's a worthwhile pay off. If it's not and it's just more teasing I'm officially out.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
every time new Spider-Man news drops i get stoked for that movie again

2 weeks until Civil War comes out so i can rewatch it... need more Spidey in my life

shingi70

Banned
Except for Action Comics, I've pretty much given up on it, but this next issue can pull me back as long as it's a worthwhile pay off. If it's not and it's just more teasing I'm officially out.

Action is the worst super book, but I'm going to stick with it too see the Mr.Oz reveal.

How do the trades work for Marvel Now and ANAD? Howard and Squirrel Girl barley changed so is the trade another Vol.1

Marvel Now Squirrel Girl and Howard are Vol. 0. Same with Spider-Gwen and any other series that launched for a short while before getting "cancelled" for Secret Wars and then relaunched or debuting in Warzones before getting an ongoing like Old Man Logan.

Slayven

Am....am I racist if I say that they just look like black kids? I don't see the problems with the babies. I've seen the pics of when some of them get older, like Connor. That's awful. Don't see a problem with the babies.

connor and baby osborn are only a quarter black though

Zombine

Banned
That was my first choice. I like Perez's work too. I like how he draws big, curly hair for Scarlet Witch and Wonder Woman.

Mine was a toss up between Byrne & Perez. Perez really owned the perm and made it super beautiful and full. It's very meticulous as well...it's not nonsensical hair. There's a real science behind the perm.

Zombine

Banned
Terry Moore does a variety of hair styles which are wonderful. The only thing that really detracts from the hair is the same face he draws.

shingi70

Banned
I can't really pick any older artists, but for me just in the variety of hair styles they can achieve its Babs Tarr and Amy Reeder.

tumblr_nzdcybB8H01rxvh4oo1_1280.jpg

ce71d3bc68a33b630f7addb99f74eff5.jpg

rocket-girl-issue-6-pg3.jpg

moon-girl-and-devil-dinosaur-2015-001-000.jpg

kmfdmpig

why can't comic artist draw mix kids?
949622-connor.png

Oliver looks like Guile here.

Neal Adams is a loon, but he talks a fair amount about how many artists can't draw anyone that's not white very well, and while that's gotten better in the last decade it still seems to be the case fairly often.

Speaking of an inability to draw - the art in Birds of Prey 1 was awful. It wasn't divisive like She Hulk from a year ago or Squirrel Girl where there's a clear style that clicks for some, but not others. Birds of Prey art was just poorly drawn with noses standing out in particular. On the one hand it's nice to have some different styles in Rebirth books, but a baseline level of competence would be even nicer.

Can anyone recommend a comic like One Piece? I'm really in the mood to read something like that, with slow, great world building that I can lose myself in.

Read most similar manga (unfortunately, most of them are terrible/forgettable) but haven't looked at many comics in the same vein.

tim1138

Oliver looks like Guile here.

Neal Adams is a loon, but he talks a fair amount about how many artists can't draw anyone that's not white very well, and while that's gotten better in the last decade it still seems to be the case fairly often.

Speaking of an inability to draw - the art in Birds of Prey 1 was awful. It wasn't divisive like She Hulk from a year ago or Squirrel Girl where there's a clear style that clicks for some, but not others. Birds of Prey art was just poorly drawn with noses standing out in particular. On the one hand it's nice to have some different styles in Rebirth books, but a baseline level of competence would be even nicer.

Speak for yourself, I quite like Claire Roe's art. I like it in We(l)come Back and like it in Birds of Prey.

Top Bottom