• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I went a little crazy at the library the past 2 days (and then went and picked up Blue Beetle Rebirth & Deathstroke #1)...

wp7rdiU.jpg

People always say it, but the art in Kingdom Come is fucking gorgeous.

I wonder if they printed Secret Six in it's proper order or how they were released.

Enjoy Strix!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Working in Midtown NYC has its perks, haha. I'm a 3 minute walk away from the Mid-Manhattan library.

ayyy NYC bredran wats good

enjoy that Ms Marvel book - best in class stuff right there

Seriously, if they are able to replicate half of the chemistry between MJ and Spider-Man (Not Peter!) of this Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane book in the new movie and get the best out of Ultimate and mix it with Breakfast Club, it will be the amazing.

Not a big fan of Rom-Comics, but this book really catches me. Started this afternoon and already half way through the whole run

i like rom comics, might have to check that one out

That...just seems like speculation. People always thought some books would go back to monthly and some monthlies performing well could possibly go to twice. Then to throw in that people apparently think it's common knowledge and suggest they just don't know what's going on at all seems kind of crazy to speculate on what people already thought probable.

Is this why people hate BC? I'm starting to get it.

That...just seems like speculation. People always thought some books would go back to monthly and some monthlies performing well could possibly go to twice. Then to throw in that people apparently think it's common knowledge and suggest they just don't know what's going on at all seems kind of crazy to speculate on what people already thought probable.

Pretty much.

Someone in the comments mentioned that Tom King has already said that he has a plan for 24 issues over a year so clearly he planned this to last more than six months.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
ayyy NYC bredran wats good

enjoy that Ms Marvel book - best in class stuff right there

Ayyy what's up man! Thanks, I think seeing it in your list of current good Marvel series made me grab it from the shelf. I wanted to read Kamala's intro run before jumping into post-SW/current stuff so I was glad I found it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just saw the latest Cap issue spoilers. Damn, Cap
smokes a fool
? :eek:

its probably from next week's issue btw, not last month when I say latest, I saw it on comic vine, so beware with CLICKING THE SPOILER BAR

Hagi

Yea, definitely, I can get on board with all that, honestly. Whereas a Jeff Lemire who I really respect, one of my favourite writers and this is no diss, but I think he has as many misses as hits work for hire. I think he finds the voice of some characters, and falls a little flat with others. Aaron though, I honestly think that guy can step into the shoes of a character, nail it AND make it his own, expand it naturally. I see he is writing a book ,I'm buying it, no doubts, all his work is up there. (Except Star Wars. I just don't have the emoney for another full line of comics. Guess I lied)

Yeah I think a big problem with a lot of writers who work on stuff for Marvel and DC is when they tackle characters it doesn't feel natural. It's why for me most events are crap because characters are forced into a direction and you aren't reading what they are saying you're just reading what the writer is saying if that makes sense. They lose their voice and it becomes more of a play with characters reading a script.

It's why I love Secret Wars so much because Doom and Reed are such fully fleshed out characters and the dialogue is fantastic, you are strung along following everyone and you get why everyone is doing what they are doing.
I'm not someone who dislikes Bendis at all but take something like his run on Uncanny X-men compared to Guardians of the Galaxy and I find with the former he was more invested in Scott to where I'm really following his actions but with Guardians I'm just following Bendis on auto-pilot wherein the characters aren't defined in the slightest and it's panel a through to z for 20 odd issues.

It's occurred to me that even though I'm excited for Young Animal I've never actually read Umbrella Academy.

While I'm really enjoying Superman I hope this is the end of the Eradicator story. It's going to be one pretty awesome read when collected but I'm looking forward to where they go from this rather bombastic start.

It's occurred to me that even though I'm excited for Young Animal I've never actually read Umbrella Academy.

Umbrella Academy can be this week's unknown soldier, everyone who hasn't read itt yet, go buy it so you can be ONE OF US.

Anyone who hasn't read Umbrella Academy volumes 1 OR TWO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, make it happen!! Or you're going to be having this conversation very soon!

images

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Ramos art on Champions is looking top tier Ramos (I dont know how to embed those pics, here's the tweet with a few pages)

I liked his art on Spiderman but I know some didnt, but even I think his work on Extraordinary was improved, and this seems to be on the same level

kmfdmpig

Umbrella Academy can be this week's unknown soldier, everyone who hasn't read itt yet, go buy it so you can be ONE OF US.

Anyone who hasn't read Umbrella Academy volumes 1 OR TWO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, make it happen!! Or you're going to be having this conversation very soon!

images

It's such a great series, but Way was getting a fair amount of shit and skepticism in this community just a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure that most think as highly of this as you and I do.

In unrelated news - If I were in the market for a somewhat affordable tablet for comics I'd probably hold off for this:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Leno...ith-high-res-screen-and-hefty-battery_id84557

It has the size and aspect ratio that is perfect for portrait pages (a rare thing in tablets) and is not too expensive.

Hagi

I'm not that big on Ramos but his art has improved since his time of Spider-man. I'm looking forward to Champions, getting a book with the young characters means I can finally drop Waids main Avengers because they were the only good thing about it.

Seriously, if they are able to replicate half of the chemistry between MJ and Spider-Man (Not Peter!) of this Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane book in the new movie and get the best out of Ultimate and mix it with Breakfast Club, it will be the amazing.

Not a big fan of Rom-Comics, but this book really catches me. Started this afternoon and already half way through the whole run

You reading a physical copy of the early issues? They're pretty hard to find these days.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You reading a physical copy of the early issues? They're pretty hard to find these days.
I found a shop who sold new OHCs for 20€ each

Got the Vol 2 one for like 10€ new on the Amazon Marketplace before I found that shop.

This guy has a lot of new boons for a joke price unaware how much they would coast

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wadium where is your avatar from

Ayyy what's up man! Thanks, I think seeing it in your list of current good Marvel series made me grab it from the shelf. I wanted to read Kamala's intro run before jumping into post-SW/current stuff so I was glad I found it.

nice! i stay evangelizing Kamala Khan... really need to find the perfect panel of her for a new avatar.

her early run is crucial to her character, btw, so it's a good thing you're starting from her true #1

It's such a great series, but Way was getting a fair amount of shit and skepticism in this community just a few weeks ago, so I'm not sure that most think as highly of this as you and I do.

What was the general consensus/gist of the skepticism? Are people just kind of protective of doom patrols legacy type thing, because to be fair, I can at least see why people might feel like that and I haven't read doom patrol yet, it's a touchstone for people. Way hasn't wrote a lot but umbrella academy is so good. I didn't read that killjoys thing but did he even write that?

Or were people just kind of annoyed at him because he's a music personality etc?

Deathstroke #1. Man, it's hard to deny that Priest's long hiatus left him rusty. The transitions in particular are a mess. Some of the dialogue is really great. He might manage to make Slade an interesting character (if the book lasts long enough for him to do so, which it probably won't). Some of it is not so good. I can't help but make the comparison to Claremont's return to the industry, dude was unreadable for years. I hope Priest picks it back up faster.

And then there's this

which I'm guessing nobody is talking about because everybody already dropped this book. But it's Priest so he gets two or three more issues from me.

kmfdmpig

What was the general consensus/gist of the skepticism? Are people just kind of protective of doom patrols legacy type thing, because to be fair, I can at least see why people might feel like that and I haven't read doom patrol yet, it's a touchstone for people. Way hasn't wrote a lot but umbrella academy is so good. I didn't read that killjoys thing but did he even write that?

Or were people just kind of annoyed at him because he's a music personality etc?

There was a mix of concern that Way hasn't really proven himself as most did not like the Killjoys (I haven't read it), some argued that Umbrella Academy was overrated, etc...
I imagine that the fear of messing up the Doom Patrol is part of that as well. Personally, I'm excited about Young Animals as it feels like a return to what made Vertigo so great 20-25 years ago.

Someone in the comments mentioned that Tom King has already said that he has a plan for 24 issues over a year so clearly he planned this to last more than six months.

It doesn't even seem like they have any kind of info they are going off of. It seems like they though new twice monthlies could be announced but then think some could go back to being monthly so they asked for a comment and when people said they didn't know they act like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. It's just a dumb way to change the perspective to make a rumor.

Well done they got my click.

Deathstroke #1. Man, it's hard to deny that Priest's long hiatus left him rusty. The transitions in particular are a mess. Some of the dialogue is really great. He might manage to make Slade an interesting character (if the book lasts long enough for him to do so, which it probably won't). Some of it is not so good. I can't help but make the comparison to Claremont's return to the industry, dude was unreadable for years. I hope Priest picks it back up faster.

And then there's this

which I'm guessing nobody is talking about because everybody already dropped this book. But it's Priest so he gets two or three more issues from me.

holy fuck

Hagi

And then there's this

Well he did say he was going to write Slade as a villain lol Didn't think he was going for 1960's misogynist though.

"Don't blame me for your Uterus" is just....huh

And then there's this

I took that all as more Deathstroke being more of a horrible parent(theme of the rebirth issue, or was it #1?) than anything else. He seems to think neither of them should tend to the kids and that it's her fault she is sticking around.

kmfdmpig

It doesn't even seem like they have any kind of info they are going off of. It seems like they though new twice monthlies could be announced but then think some could go back to being monthly so they asked for a comment and when people said they didn't know they act like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. It's just a dumb way to change the perspective to make a rumor.

Well done they got my click.

I'm not even sure that I follow what the third rumor is saying. Isn't Wonder Woman the only one that has two separate stories (past and present)? I can't think of any of the others that do.

From the beginning the higher ups have said that they may switch some twice monthly to monthly if they do not sell well enough, which makes sense.

Detective Comics is a good example of a comic that works well in that format as it's not limited to just one or two a list characters, so they are able to keep the spotlight on some of the less known characters.

Speaking of Detective Comics - was there anything prior to Rebirth that started to show Clayface's redemption and push to become a hero?

Well he did say he was going to write Slade as a villain lol Didn't think he was going for 1960's misogynist though.

"Don't blame me for your Uterus" is just....huh

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about the book is despite everything he said, Slade is very much an antihero here. When he has the mask on anyway, he's a piece of shit in every other scene.

I'm not even sure that I follow what the third rumor is saying. Isn't Wonder Woman the only one that has two separate stories (past and present)? I can't think of any of the others that do.

From the beginning the higher ups have said that they may switch some twice monthly to monthly if they do not sell well enough, which makes sense.

Detective Comics is a good example of a comic that works well in that format as it's not limited to just one or two a list characters, so they are able to keep the spotlight on some of the less known characters.

Speaking of Detective Comics - was there anything prior to Rebirth that started to show Clayface's redemption and push to become a hero?

Nope. Tynion has said they're going over Clayface's messy N52 origin in the Spoiler focused arc.

It seems unlikely that WW would even go into two books because it seems like the story is already lining up in some way.

As for Clayface I would say he made an appearance in Gotham Academy but I'm still unsure how that all went and if it was even him.

It seems unlikely that WW would even go into two books because it seems like the story is already lining up in some way.

As for Clayface I would say he made an appearance in Gotham Academy but I'm still unsure how that all went and if it was even him.

That was him, yeah. Pretty sure the fragment he spun off is still attending the school, though I have no idea how she's paying her tuition.

Hagi

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about the book is despite everything he said, Slade is very much an antihero here. When he has the mask on anyway, he's a piece of shit in every other scene.

Really? that's a shame I was only really interested in the book because he said all that stuff about DC trying to get him to tame it down and him being all like "You know he's a villain right?".

Teen Titans Rebirth preview:

http://www.comicosity.com/first-look-teen-titans-rebirth-1/

Here's hoping there will actually be a readable Teen Titans book again, it's been a loooooooooong time.

I'm in for this 100 percent. I read a little of the last run with the purple wall guy and the art where everything has sharp edges. Was not good at all.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just jumped in to say Lashley, good luck with your appointment this evening, I hope it goes well for you, and you got comicGAF regardless (y)

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Wasn't too bad, covered by a gown, just had to roll it up, and they scanned my kidneys too.

He said he thinks it's just a cyst and some vessels. Get my results from my GP tomorrow.

Appreciate the good luck though, thanks a lot :D

That was him, yeah. Pretty sure the fragment he spun off is still attending the school, though I have no idea how she's paying her tuition.

Ok, then yea I would definitely say that was a start to the whole idea of him wanting to just be an actor or be good in some way.

Teen Titans Rebirth preview:

http://www.comicosity.com/first-look-teen-titans-rebirth-1/

Here's hoping there will actually be a readable Teen Titans book again, it's been a loooooooooong time.

Seriously. I don't know how Percy is going to do a twice monthly GA and TT's. Unless that's one book they anticipated to go back to monthly from the start but now has done well so who knows.

Judderman

drawer by drawer

And then there's this

I read Deathstroke Rebirth and was left kinda feeling meh
(Him killing the bear cubs because of his dumbass kid getting the mother killed left me thinking "...Okay.")
and picked up #1 just to give it a second chance. Haven't read it yet but this doesn't inspire much hope.

Top Bottom