• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Owzers

I was lagging so badly i stopped playing overwatch for a bit, back at it now for a little. Lag...is the worst. That or reading comics.

Messi

Hmmmmm this bothers me

BettyVeronica_1SDCC_227x350.jpg

Sou Da

Girls wear bathing suits.
It's Messi so I'm assuming he's bothered by the fact that Betty is covering her breasts while Veronica's roam free.

Anyone knew that Obama Chaos emeralds meme came from a serious sonic fanfic?

“Try me,” Obama thinly smiled. Morgan had the feeling that the president's eyes were boring through his skull. He had the complete attention of one of the most powerful people on the planet now, and it made Nathan's hands sweat.

“We were testing several artifacts that were seconded to us by the U.S. Air Force. We were told that their presence at CERN was to be considered classified, along with their origin.”

Obama chuckled. “You mean the Chaos Emeralds?”

Political intrigue in Sonic.

VanWinkle

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 3 is SO good. But I have to admit, as much as I think Doug Mahnke is a great artist, I miss Ivan Reis' art.

Boogiepop

Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 3 is SO good. But I have to admit, as much as I think Doug Mahnke is a great artist, I miss Ivan Reis' art.

Fair warning that, assuming you're still midway through it, it drops off HARD IMO as it goes on. I was really happy and excited at the beginning myself, but then everything kinda goes to crap once Simon Baz appears, at the latest. I actually felt kind of bad for the character, because that certainly wasn't a good introduction that he got. But I guess your mileage may vary, so hopefully you get more out of it then I did!

My wife and kid are going out of town for a week in a few hours. I'm gonna get up to a looooot of bad shit while they are out of town
like seeing Suicide Squad and buying No Man's Sky and probably a lot of Invincible

And playing Dungeons and Draaaagons

shingi70

Banned
Sucide Squad was good, fun summer action movie with cool characters I like doing cool shit.

The reviews make it seem like it's terrible. I love the take of it being a live action comic music video hybrid.

Owzers

Freeza...how did we lose that Numbani hold! How! I blame a phantom Ana.

Ahhhh Freeza, i snuck behind their lines in our Route 66 push and stole genji's job of stealth pushing the cart

Owzers

Good games Team Comics-Gaf! I play way too much overwatch, but that was fun.

Some terrible loot boxes were my reward, but i used up my loot box luck already.

Good games Team Comics-Gaf! I play way too much overwatch, but that was fun.

Some terrible loot boxes were my reward, but i used up my loot box luck already.

I never knew overtime could last so long.

Also Roadhog is awesome.

Goddamn that one was brutal. That wasn't the part I thought would get POTG, though it was fun impact-blasting that Mercy off the cliff. There was another part on the first capture point where I just walked in the side door while all of them were facing the front entrances and I just let them all eat Pharah's Ultimate.

Messi

Goddamn that one was brutal. That wasn't the part I thought would get POTG, though it was fun impact-blasting that Mercy off the cliff. There was another part on the first capture point where I just walked in the side door while all of them were facing the front entrances and I just let them all eat Pharah's Ultimate.

I thought I had it in the second part lol

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Juan Ferreyra's use of color is amazing in the latest Green Arrow. I just stared at the title page for a few minutes.

I thought I had it in the second part lol

Were you there for that? I was hoping someone saw that shit. I walked in and they were all lined up like ducks in a row not even looking in my direction. If you do any damage to them within x number of seconds before they die, you get credit for the kill too. Teamwork!

Saw SS. Not terrible, but it's incredibly disappointing.
-Most of the characterizations are pretty on point, but there's not really a need for some of the characters. Croc and Boomer, mainly.
-Enchantress was a bad move. Making a world-ending, Justice League-tier threat the main villain for a street-level team? And the threat is one that was made by the team? The fuck is the purpose of the team then?
-As soon as Flag busted the device that controlled the bombs and Boomer left, he should have stayed gone. Seriously. Funniest moment in the goddamn film and he had no reason to come back. You could argue that he wanted to get in Katana, so why not impress her, but it doesn't carry weight.
-Killer Croc is a weird stereotype that had no purpose. I don't give a damn about you Croc.
-Katana's backstory scene was pointless. Her role being Rick Flag's backup was dumb as fuck. There is no real relationship between them. Her role should have been Waller's back up contingency against Enchantress, given that her sword puts in work which is clearly why she's even in the movie. Also, her being a secondary contingency would have made even more sense, since it would make Waller not seem like a moron for even thinking 50% of her messing with the Enchantress was a good idea in the first place, which brings me back to "WHY ARE FUCKING WITH THIS SHIT?"
-Pacing and the soundtrack is completely jarring. Doesn't flow well. Like that slow mo scene at the end that goes for fucking ever. There's also a lot of strange and choppy editing that doesn't flow well either.
-Disappointed in the idea that Rick Flag needed leverage. Why? His whole thing is that he's supposed to be the loyal soldier that does anything his government asks. That's why he's the one supervising the squad.
-Action is enjoyable, but it's not anything special.
-Why...how...why the fuck is Waller getting involved in magic? Going out of her fucking way to do it? Jesus.
-Had a lot of funny moments, but not all of them intentional, which is for the worse.
-Joker shouldn't have been in there outside of Harley's flashbacks. He adds nothing. His biggest moment is rescuing Harley, which gets completely botched and she gets welcomed back into the Squad anyways. You could argue that Joker's "death" is what drives Harley to make her play at the end, but honestly I was feeling her attachment before that (the scene with Deadshot on the stairs). I wanted to like Leto's Joker, but he only had a few moments. Didn't feel it was worth it for him to be in there that much.
-El Diablo saying it was his family was dumb as fuck. I don't believe an ounce of your attachment to the Squad whatsoever.
-Viola Davis was perfect.
-Minor nitpick, but I felt like Floyd was way too much of a family man. I wanted more sociopathic murderer
-For a team formed for their special traits and skills, boy was there very little emphasis on them. Deadshot doesn't make too many impressive shots. Why's Harley on the team? Boomer throws all of four boomerangs, and only two of them were successful, otherwise all he does is drink and talk smack. Croc swims underwater and throws a bomb far, which I guess is cool. Flag isn't a very good tactician, which I assume was another reason for him to be on the team. At least Katana has her Soultaker sword, though. And El Diablo does light things on fire and become a weird fire demon thing.

Overall not a terrible movie, and it was entertaining enough, but it was incredibly disappointed. Haven't seen BvS, but I can safely say it was better than X-Men Apocalypse.

I haven't seen Assault on Arkham, but as far as I'm concerned, the episode of Justice League Unlimited entitled "Task Force X" is still the best piece of SS-related media outside the comics.
SS Movie Spoilers:
That kind of came out of nowhere for me.

That's seems like more of a Post-Joker reformed Harley to me, which this clearly isn't.
We're not really given context for how long she's been away from Joker. Honestly they could have cut him from the movie (aside from flashbacks). Wouldn't have changed a single fucking thing.
Watching Movie Bob's Suicide Squad review right now. I'm fucking dying

DCEU "may be unsalvageable"
MovieBob is incredibly hyperbolic, and as a result I can't really watch too much of his stuff.
Kirsten Dunst was superb in Fargo S2.
giphy.gif

Fair warning that, assuming you're still midway through it, it drops off HARD IMO as it goes on. I was really happy and excited at the beginning myself, but then everything kinda goes to crap once Simon Baz appears, at the latest. I actually felt kind of bad for the character, because that certainly wasn't a good introduction that he got. But I guess your mileage may vary, so hopefully you get more out of it then I did!
Baz is the fucking worst.
Nah bruh.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Does the first volume of Wytches have a self contained story or does it leave off on a clinghanger?

shingi70

Banned
Saw SS. Not terrible, but it's incredibly disappointing.
-Most of the characterizations are pretty on point, but there's not really a need for some of the characters. Croc and Boomer, mainly.
-Enchantress was a bad move. Making a world-ending, Justice League-tier threat the main villain for a street-level team? And the threat is one that was made by the team? The fuck is the purpose of the team then?
-As soon as Flag busted the device that controlled the bombs and Boomer left, he should have stayed gone. Seriously. Funniest moment in the goddamn film and he had no reason to come back. You could argue that he wanted to get in Katana, so why not impress her, but it doesn't carry weight.
-Killer Croc is a weird stereotype that had no purpose. I don't give a damn about you Croc.
-Katana's backstory scene was pointless. Her role being Rick Flag's backup was dumb as fuck. There is no real relationship between them. Her role should have been Waller's back up contingency against Enchantress, given that her sword puts in work which is clearly why she's even in the movie. Also, her being a secondary contingency would have made even more sense, since it would make Waller not seem like a moron for even thinking 50% of her messing with the Enchantress was a good idea in the first place, which brings me back to "WHY ARE FUCKING WITH THIS SHIT?"
-Pacing and the soundtrack is completely jarring. Doesn't flow well. Like that slow mo scene at the end that goes for fucking ever. There's also a lot of strange and choppy editing that doesn't flow well either.
-Disappointed in the idea that Rick Flag needed leverage. Why? His whole thing is that he's supposed to be the loyal soldier that does anything his government asks. That's why he's the one supervising the squad.
-Action is enjoyable, but it's not anything special.
-Why...how...why the fuck is Waller getting involved in magic? Going out of her fucking way to do it? Jesus.
-Had a lot of funny moments, but not all of them intentional, which is for the worse.
-Joker shouldn't have been in there outside of Harley's flashbacks. He adds nothing. His biggest moment is rescuing Harley, which gets completely botched and she gets welcomed back into the Squad anyways. You could argue that Joker's "death" is what drives Harley to make her play at the end, but honestly I was feeling her attachment before that (the scene with Deadshot on the stairs). I wanted to like Leto's Joker, but he only had a few moments. Didn't feel it was worth it for him to be in there that much.
-El Diablo saying it was his family was dumb as fuck. I don't believe an ounce of your attachment to the Squad whatsoever.
-Viola Davis was perfect.
-Minor nitpick, but I felt like Floyd was way too much of a family man. I wanted more sociopathic murderer
-For a team formed for their special traits and skills, boy was there very little emphasis on them. Deadshot doesn't make too many impressive shots. Why's Harley on the team? Boomer throws all of four boomerangs, and only two of them were successful, otherwise all he does is drink and talk smack. Croc swims underwater and throws a bomb far, which I guess is cool. Flag isn't a very good tactician, which I assume was another reason for him to be on the team. At least Katana has her Soultaker sword, though. And El Diablo does light things on fire and become a weird fire demon thing.

Overall not a terrible movie, and it was entertaining enough, but it was incredibly disappointed. Haven't seen BvS, but I can safely say it was better than X-Men Apocalypse.

I haven't seen Assault on Arkham, but as far as I'm concerned, the episode of Justice League Unlimited entitled "Task Force X" is still the best piece of SS-related media outside the comics.

We're not really given context for how long she's been away from Joker. Honestly they could have cut him from the movie (aside from flashbacks). Wouldn't have changed a single fucking thing.

MovieBob is incredibly hyperbolic, and as a result I can't really watch too much of his stuff.

giphy.gif

Baz is the fucking worst.

Nah bruh.

Honestly SS feels like the case of an average 6/10 movie being ballooned by expectations and then when it's not reaching its full potential it's get savaged in reviews. It makes me think how critics will approach wonder Woman if WB nettles with it.

Boomerang coming back I didn't mind, but it could have set up a gag at the end where he's caught by the flash again or something.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Holy Bonkers, the Plane scene in Batman #1
Edit: Hold bonkers, the "I am about to die" dialogue in that scene is the worst ive read in a Batman book for years.

SS had a 10 minute scene where Joker
rescues Harley only for his helicopter to crash and Harley returning back to the team like nothing happened.
It only exist just to cram in more Joker.

Top Bottom