• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Birds of Prey Rebirth was a big pile of meh. Not going to buy this book.
Nightwing was cool and Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps seemed pointless to me. Nothing really happened.

shingi70

Banned
SS had a 10 minute scene where Joker
rescues Harley only for his helicopter to crash and Harley returning back to the team like nothing happened.
It only exist just to cram in more Joker.

Most of the stuff cut from the movie was Joker related,
he was supposed to have more flashback scenes and show up after the crash to try and get Harley again

rdytoroll

Hey, ComicGaf. I hope this post is okay here, but I need some help starting out in the world of comics. I checked out the the comic start up thread and downloaded the comixology app right away. Got a spiderman comic for free on amazon.de and it synched instantly with comixology which is awesome. There's also some kind of guided view which is amazing.

So now I'm asking for some help on where to start. There are some cool suggestions in the other thread but I wanted to ask here because it's a more active thread. My favorite superheroes from the movies are: Captain America, Thor, Batman, Star-Lord and Wolverine. I always liked stories more about fighting the big evil that's threatening the world instead of fighting small criminals on the street (except Batman, that shit's awesome), but I'm eager to read anything. I've read that there was a big relaunch last year called Marvel Now!, but there are so many different stories and arcs and events, it's kind of daunting to start anywhere. I don't want to miss the best stuff! lol

I'd love to read some collections for now and then try to catch up with weekly releases of my favorite stories later. Oh, save me great Gaf

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Read my first batch of Rebirth comics: Superman up through issue 4. Is good. Want more.

yes! i'm not much of supes guy but i loved the opening 4 issues.

Hey, ComicGaf. I hope this post is okay here, but I need some help starting out in the world of comics. I checked out the the comic start up thread and downloaded the comixology app right away. Got a spiderman comic for free on amazon.de and it synched instantly with comixology which is awesome. There's also some kind of guided view which is amazing.

So now I'm asking for some help on where to start. There are some cool suggestions in the other thread but I wanted to ask here because it's a more active thread. My favorite superheroes from the movies are: Captain America, Thor, Batman, Star-Lord and Wolverine. I always liked stories more about fighting the big evil that's threatening the world instead of fighting small criminals on the street (except Batman, that shit's awesome), but I'm eager to read anything. I've read that there was a big relaunch last year called Marvel Now!, but there are so many different stories and arcs and events, it's kind of daunting to start anywhere. I don't want to miss the best stuff! lol

I'd love to read some collections for now and then try to catch up with weekly releases of my favorite stories later. Oh, save me great Gaf

Welcome to the community!

For Thor, you NEED to read the first 2 trades of Aaron's run. It is even partly on sale now: https://m.comixology.com/Thor-God-of-Thunder-Vol-1-The-God-Butcher/digital-comic/41735

It's a great book for new readers: a self contained story that requires no previous comic knowledge. It is epic and the scope of the story is wild - I think it's right up your alley.

My favorite modern Batman book is The Black Mirror: https://m.comixology.com/Batman-The-Black-Mirror/digital-comic/48354

This is a little different, as it is Dick Grayson as Batman, not Bruce but it's a chilling tale. Also a self contained story perfect for new readers.

Zombine

Banned

Hey! Welcome to comics and I'm glad that the start up guide helped a bit. In regards to fighting a "big evil", a majority of those solo books don't offer much by way of that unless it is crossing over with an event. Jason Aaron's Thor offers "big" stories with wild villains, but once again it's fairly self contained. If you're looking for big Star Lord stories, you're better off reading Guardians of The Galaxy by Dan Abnett. I really do find that these team books are the only ones that offer these huge, universe shattering cataclysms, so that the team has a common goal to accomplish.

rdytoroll

yes! i'm not much of supes guy but i loved the opening 4 issues.

Welcome to the community!

For Thor, you NEED to read the first 2 trades of Aaron's run. It is even partly on sale now: https://m.comixology.com/Thor-God-of-Thunder-Vol-1-The-God-Butcher/digital-comic/41735

It's a great book for new readers: a self contained story that requires no previous comic knowledge. It is epic and the scope of the story is wild - I think it's right up your alley.

My favorite modern Batman book is The Black Mirror: https://m.comixology.com/Batman-The-Black-Mirror/digital-comic/48354

This is a little different, as it is Dick Grayson as Batman, not Bruce but it's a chilling tale. Also a self contained story perfect for new readers.

Hey! Welcome to comics and I'm glad that the start up guide helped a bit. In regards to fighting a "big evil", a majority of those solo books don't offer much by way of that unless it is crossing over with an event. Jason Aaron's Thor offers "big" stories with wild villains, but once again it's fairly self contained. If you're looking for big Star Lord stories, you're better off reading Guardians of The Galaxy by Dan Abnett. I really do find that these team books are the only ones that offer these huge, universe shattering cataclysms, so that the team has a common goal to accomplish.

That Thor one looks freaking awesome! You're talking about these 2 collections, right?

Volume 1: The God Butcher (tpb, 136 pages, 2013, ISBN 0-7851-6697-1) collects:
"The God Butcher" (with Esad Ribic, in #1–5, 2012–2013)
Volume 2: Godbomb (tpb, 136 pages, 2013, ISBN 0-7851-6698-X) collects:
"What the Gods Have Wrought" (with Butch Guice, in #6, 2013)
"Godbomb" (with Esad Ribic, in #7–11, 2013)

I'll check out the other mentions too. Guardians of the Galaxy would be right up my alley too. Thanks guys!

Zombine

Banned
That Thor one looks freaking awesome! You're talking about these 2 collections, right?

I'll check out the other mentions too. Guardians of the Galaxy would be right up my alley too. Thanks guys!

Yes! Those books are incredible. Honestly...even after a specific change the book makes at the end of that run its still amazing. I would seriously just read Aaron's run and just keep on going to where Aaron is at now.

Hey all. I need me some recommendations.

Something along the lines of Constantine, American gods. Elements of black magic / supernatural detective work kind of thing in the backstreets of america basically and not so super-heroish.

I should probably start with constantine eh? Haven't really read it more than watching and enjoying the character / concept from the show/movies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Superman is so good! Action, I'm not really sold on.

yeah i've no interest in Action but the Gohan Kent thing we have going on in Superman is too dope.

Yep, that's the run! That first volume is on sale right now, $5 off on Comixology. There is no way you will be disappointed in those 2 volumes.

Something along the lines of Constantine, American gods. Elements of black magic / supernatural detective work kind of thing in the backstreets of america basically and not so super-heroish.

Have you read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing?

kmfdmpig

There's a Marvel save the universe event which Star Lord plays a role in, but it's really large in scope. Nova is probably the most significant character in it. The good/bad thing is that it's quite long. I think it's worthwhile though. It's probably much cheaper to read if you get Mavel Unlimited, which is like Netflix for older Marvel comics.
http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

The reading order for Marvel Cosmic is:
http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/201...auntlets-guardians-and-gargantuan-crossovers/

For Batman you can't go wrong with Snyder's Nu52 run from a few years ago.

Zombine

Banned

I should probably start with constantine eh? Haven't really read it more than watching and enjoying the character / concept from the show/movies.

Start here:

John Constantine, Hellblazer, Vol. 1: Original Sins https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401230067/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I can really only recommend the Delano stuff.

Other book you will enjoy:

Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft https://www.amazon.com/dp/1600103847/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Locke & Key hits basically everything you're looking for.

Phamit

There are Rivers of London Comic Books, but I Don't how good they are. But the Series goes pretty much in this direction

Holy Bonkers, the Plane scene in Batman #1
Edit: Hold bonkers, the "I am about to die" dialogue in that scene is the worst ive read in a Batman book for years.
The issue with that scene is that it's inconsistent with how seriously it wants you to take it. At first, it wants it to come off all casual, like "oh, of course Batman made it up to the plane, he's Batman, and impossible stuff is effortless to him", and that continues with the way he's casually making these advanced calculations that would be beyond any human ever, but then you're meant to take the emotional stakes of the situation very seriously, and my brain couldn't do all of that at the same time.

If you haven't seen the TV series (actually, even if you have seen it), try Carey's adaptation of Gaiman's Neverwhere. Pretty well done. The trade collects everything.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/NEIL-GAIMANS-NEVERWHERE-TP-(MR)/NOV060304

You might also enjoy Carey's Lucifer. Full series is now available in five large books.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/LUCIFER-TP-VOL-01-(MR)/FEB130247

Edit: And while I personally didn't enjoy it, maybe Grant MOrrison's Invisibles fits this bill too?

There are Rivers of London Comic Books, but I Don't how good they are. But the Series goes pretty much in this direction

This I didn't know about! Who is doing the books? Is it new material?

Zombine

Banned
Was suicide squad that bad!? I am tempted to see it tonight..

It's worth a watch. It's like a 6/10. It has a TON of issues. The plot makes no sense at all but the film at the very least is entertaining.

I'm entirely caught up on Sherrif of Babylon. This may be one of the best books I've ever read. It's like Sicario meets Homeland. There's a certain authenticity to the book that makes me think Tom King might have worked for the CIA.

Sophia though...such a boss.

rdytoroll

There's a Marvel save the universe event which Star Lord plays a role in, but it's really large in scope. Nova is probably the most significant character in it. The good/bad thing is that it's quite long. I think it's worthwhile though. It's probably much cheaper to read if you get Mavel Unlimited, which is like Netflix for older Marvel comics.
http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

The reading order for Marvel Cosmic is:
http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/201...auntlets-guardians-and-gargantuan-crossovers/

For Batman you can't go wrong with Snyder's Nu52 run from a few years ago.

I'll check em out, thanks. That Batman run looks really interesting

Phamit

If you haven't seen the TV series (actually, even if you have seen it), try Carey's adaptation of Gaiman's Neverwhere. Pretty well done. The trade collects everything.

You might also enjoy Carey's Lucifer. Full series is now available in five large books.

Edit: And while I personally didn't enjoy it, maybe Grant MOrrison's Invisibles fits this bill too?

I think Aaronovitch is writing but don't know about the art. It's definitely new Material, the first story takes place between book 4 and 5 if I remember correctly. You should find them on Amazon. I didn't had a chance to take a look at them so far.

So many recommendations. Thanks! I'll check them out!

Have you read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing?
I have not :)

Start here:

John Constantine, Hellblazer, Vol. 1: Original Sins https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401230067/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I can really only recommend the Delano stuff.

Other book you will enjoy:

Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft https://www.amazon.com/dp/1600103847/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Locke & Key hits basically everything you're looking for.

I think it's really weird that some people still haven't read any of Aaron's Thor.

Even little babies that can't read yet. I'm like hey little baby, stop worrying about what the fucking Paw Patrol are doing and hurry up with developing basic literacy so you can check out this dope Thor shit.

I think Aaronovitch is writing but don't know about the art. It's definitely new Material, the first story takes place between book 4 and 5 if I remember correctly. You should find them on Amazon. I didn't had a chance to take a look at them so far.

Cool. The books are good fun, will look this up.

Finished Batman: Black Mirror this morning. Seriously one of the best Batman stories I've ever read. The grimness was just so fitting and oozed from every page in the story I loved it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'm gonna start with Thor: God of Thunder Vol.1 and see if I like it and then I'll just go from there

I'll just throw out Cosmic Marvel for you. I just started it myself a few months ago. I finished the first section Annihilation and it was awesome. I'll be starting up Conquest pretty soon.

3267361-cosmismarvel.jpg

rdytoroll

I think it's really weird that some people still haven't read any of Aaron's Thor.

Even little babies that can't read yet. I'm like hey little baby, stop worrying about what the fucking Paw Patrol are doing and hurry up with developing basic literacy so you can check out this dope Thor shit.

Not that weird if you're just starting out reading comics lol

Zombine

Banned
While it's still a mistake that probably shouldn't have made it to print, I can confirm that the infamous Gerads Punisher page isn't indicative of his work elsewhere. There's no conspiracy, just a sloppy ass page from a stellar artist. Dude can draw some really really wonderful and expressive faces.

Can't say Gerads has an agenda either...NCIS/American Troops aren't exactly painted in the best of light so far in Sherrif.

I'd recommend Thor by Walt Simonson. It's not modern, but it's great.

Tizoc

Didnt care for aaron's thor series
I ahould reread jms thor and kireo. Gillen (i think?) run as i remember liking those

Hagi

Read Batman Earth One last night and quite enjoyed it. This is the first of the "Earth One" books I've bothered reading are they all so familiar to what you are used to with the their respective casts? While I liked the small changes to Alfred, Bruce's Parents, Cobblepott and such it didn't go far enough to differentiate. I'm going to pick up the second volume though, is there any news on if it's going to continue?

I picked up Bruce Wayne Murderer to read later as well because I've seen it in the book store a thousand times and kept forgetting to buy it. Suicide Squad in an hour...

Top Bottom