• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2016. That's Rare Groove. Volume is Crucial.

Read Batman Earth One last night and quite enjoyed it. This is the first of the "Earth One" books I've bothered reading are they all so familiar to what you are used to with the their respective casts? While I liked the small changes to Alfred, Bruce's Parents, Cobblepott and such it didn't go far enough to differentiate. I'm going to pick up the second volume though, is there any news on if it's going to continue?

I picked up Bruce Wayne Murderer to read later as well because I've seen it in the book store a thousand times and kept forgetting to buy it. Suicide Squad in an hour...

Second volume is fire. I thiiiiiink there's plans for a volume 3 at some point, but Johns being super damn busy these days means that's probably on hold for the foreseeable future.

Sou Da

Read Batman Earth One last night and quite enjoyed it. This is the first of the "Earth One" books I've bothered reading are they all so familiar to what you are used to with the their respective casts? While I liked the small changes to Alfred, Bruce's Parents, Cobblepott and such it didn't go far enough to differentiate. I'm going to pick up the second volume though, is there any news on if it's going to continue?

I picked up Bruce Wayne Murderer to read later as well because I've seen it in the book store a thousand times and kept forgetting to buy it. Suicide Squad in an hour...

It probably is. Second volume is pretty great too, best Croc in years imo.

Boogiepop

So I've started reading Gotham Central (which is of course very good), and there was a casual mention of No Man's Land. I've seen that name dropped a couple of times, but is it actually something worth looking into, or just a thing that happened that's not really worth caring about?

Busaiku

So I'm trying to collect all of the Ultimate Spider-Man stuff, but I'm confused with the numbering.
1 - 160 is Peter, then 161 - 188 is Miles, but 200 is before Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man.
If we include the 1/2 issue, the annuals, 16.1, and Cataclysm I still only get to 196.
What are the other 3? Ultimatum Spider-Man is in the 160.

Messi

So I'm trying to collect all of the Ultimate Spider-Man stuff, but I'm confused with the numbering.
1 - 160 is Peter, then 161 - 188 is Miles, but 200 is before Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-Man.
If we include the 1/2 issue, the annuals, and 16.1, I still only get to 193.
What are the other 6? Ultimatum Spider-Man is in the 160.

Spider-Men mini?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oh man, I'm so stoked right now.
So I stopped by my tiny local library and checked out their comics section for the first time.
It's a tiny section. Just 4 or 5 shelves.
But as it turns out, it's essentially a perfectly curated collection of the best comics of the past 5 or so years.
I ended up with the following books:

Atomic Robo Vol 1
Batman: Year 100
Black Widow: Last Days
Captain America: Castaway in Dimension Z (Parts 1 & 2)
Wonder Woman: Earth One(!!!)
Deadpool: Complete Collection by Daniel Way
Night of the Living Deadpool
Hellboy: The Midnight Circus
Justice League: Trinity War
She-Hulk: Disorderly Conduct
She-Hulk: Law and Disorder
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl Vol 1
Batman: The Court of Owls

And of course there was a ton of other great stuff that I'd already read and other great stuff that I just didn't feel like picking up today since I already had so many books.

The best part? I've got today and tomorrow off and I'm gonna try to plow through as many of these as possible.

So I've started reading Gotham Central (which is of course very good), and there was a casual mention of No Man's Land. I've seen that name dropped a couple of times, but is it actually something worth looking into, or just a thing that happened that's not really worth caring about?
It's my favorite batman mega event but it might not be for everyone. Fortunately DC has a decent collection in the NML trades now. Much better than the previous set that cut stuff out

Eh Suicide Squad wasn't all that terrible. I liked it a lot more than BvS.
Joker really didn't need to be in it and I thought Katana and Crock were pretty terrible. I liked Diablo but thought he was pretty badly written.
Other than that it just felt kind of rushed and crammed packed without letting the good aspects of the movie to really breath.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Omg
I've never read a Deadpool comic before.
I started Cullen Bunn's Night of the Living Deadpool and I'm laughing out loud on every page. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Deadpool, but I'm loving this so far.

Owzers

Omg
I've never read a Deadpool comic before.
I started Cullen Bunn's Night of the Living Deadpool and I'm laughing out loud on every page. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Deadpool, but I'm loving this so far.

Night of the Living Dead pool was a lot better than i thought it would be. Return of was a little iffy.

frye

Hey all. I need me some recommendations.

Something along the lines of Constantine, American gods. Elements of black magic / supernatural detective work kind of thing in the backstreets of america basically and not so super-heroish.

I should probably start with constantine eh? Haven't really read it more than watching and enjoying the character / concept from the show/movies.

it'll never be completed but Warren Ellis's and Ben Templesmith's Fell sounds right up your alley

Jesus fucking christ. Someone tell these directors that screen test footage + random play from your retirement home's jukebox + 20% window tint on the camera lens doesn't equal a movie.

Oh man, I'm so stoked right now.
So I stopped by my tiny local library and checked out their comics section for the first time.
It's a tiny section. Just 4 or 5 shelves.
But as it turns out, it's essentially a perfectly curated collection of the best comics of the past 5 or so years.

I don't even know who this is anymore. Buying Godzilla figures. Getting excited about libraries...

wut
OK time for a history lesson young padawan, here's your reading material
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0785131248/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tizoc! Wasn't it your birthday the other day? HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Every one has currently birthday all the time here. Its crazy

Dont forget mine one at the 17th!

GAMEPROFF's birthday coming up!?

tumblr_ntk7gjTrKK1rdx8ebo1_540_zpshzj99fay.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Lets all dress up as our favorite Captain America Villains, drink beer and eat sausages!

I am gonna be Batroc Ze Lepeeer

Crazy how much Harley Quinn sells. I actually don't think it's a bad comic but I certainly wouldn't call it GOOD.

It seems like it's intended more for people who enjoy slapstick comedy.

I will
Never understand the Resi Community here on GAF it seems like nobody likes the actual good Resi Games there.

You mean Resident Evil? I still have to play the new demo. I downloaded it weeks ago.

Owzers

Zatanna figure, i do think it looks like my statue decided it wanted to buy itself a figure and start a collection.

Gripes: I don't think the posing depicted on the base and elsewhere with her leaning on the wand is possible. For one, the final design of the wand changed, it looks like a walking stick now with no handle, also the size is much larger than in the preview model and it physically can't make that pose. I like it though overall, it came out well and the only paint problem was a bit of a black smudge around the right eye but it's hard to see. It looks pretty fragile too like reviews noted about previous figures in this line. Random 8/10 just because i still like the design a lot, the articulation still seems very stiff and limited but i'm not familiar with figures because responsible people buy statues.

Also, i cannot stress how tiny this figure seems, but i don't buy a lot of figures. It's not just short, but the it's a very slender model too especially compared to my Blackest Night Mera figure.

shingi70

Banned
Any recomendations on good bookshelves. I want to start collecting trades and my desk is running out of room for pop figures.

Dropped some cash on that SS sale. Picked up

Ostrander Suicide Squad vol.1
Deadshot by Ostrander #1-4
Batman #357-359
Arkham Asylum 25th anniversary

Anything else I'm the sale worth a look.

Bii

Any recomendations on good bookshelves. I want to start collecting trades and my desk is running out of room for pop figures.

I have two of these. One for a figure display case and one for actual books. They also sell glass doors (a bit pricey @ $50 each) for it if you want.

If you want something with more depth, the BESTA frame is also a good starting point. It can get expensive real fast once you start purchasing the shelves and doors, though.

I might just purchase a set of two for myself since they're on sale this month.

Pretty sure that they werent when She was introduced by Rucka.
But I can be wrong, I was just seriously surprised.
I think Morrison was the one who decided that the Kane's were related to the Wayne's by marriage which happened before the introduction of Kate Kane.

Top Bottom